So A Teacher At My School Was Just Fired...

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Honestly, unless it was the teacher's fourth or fifth (or w/e) offense, then it might be justified, but given everything else he's done for the school I don't think he should be fired. Reprimanded sure, but not fired unless he's had a string of these offenses.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
He shouldn't have showed the students Jackass or watched it himself but shouldn't have been fired for it. Just given a warning.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Damn right they should fire him: because he wasn't doing his job.

Pro tip here guys:

If you are employed as a welder and your job is to weld shit and your boss catches you watching Jackass instead you will get fired.
If you are employed as a waiter and your job is to serve dinner and your boss catches you watching Jackass instead you will get fired.
If you are employed as a teacher and your job is to teach children from the prescribed curriculum and your boss catches you watching Jackass instead (and showing it to the kids) you will get fired.

Not sure why the school needed to call the police though, is it a criminal offence to not follow the movie rating system in America?

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
twistedmic said:
CODE-D said:
WE watched much worse in my sociology class.
And in sex ed they show us much much much worse where stds come to topic.
So I find this odd.
Did you have to bring in a signed permission slip, or at least have parental consent to view the sex-ed video or the sociology video?
I dont think so and we watched some fucked up shit
High on crack street
That jeffrey Dahmer movie
Ted Bundy movie etc

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Yea we actually watched that exact movie in class on our last day as seniors. Someone tattled they need a paddling.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
GrandmaFunk said:
I'd say the termination is valid.

If it had only been a matter of him watching movies on "company time", then some milder disciplinary action could have been taken.

But showing an R rated movie to a bunch of teenagers, in class no less, breaks a few laws and points to horrible judgment.

I mean, it's not like the movie as any redeeming qualities or is the least bit educational... there's really no gray zone to this.
"Horrible Judgement"?
Alright, he is breaking a law by showing an R-rated movie to "kids", but really..He should be fired for that?
He should be warned, yes, but fired?

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Lol. My Chemistry teacher brewed his own alcohol in his class. There was a room that was intended for chemicals, but it wasn't really used, so he made is own alcohol. Even gave me some when we were doing a test. Good stuff.

My French teacher turned out to be the Belgian equivalent of a hooligan.

My Literature, my English teacher, a couple of mates and I usually had lunch together outside of school and one time we came back slighly intoxicated.

My P.E. Teacher made us decide what we wanted to do and sometimes he'd smoke.
None were fired, because despite it all, they were great teachers and we all held great respect for them for not being stuck-up, hypocritical PC filinwordyouwanthere

So no, he shouldn't have been fired.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Oh please, I had teachers do stuff like that in cover lessons all the fucking time.

GrandmaFunk said:
aegix drakan said:
Meanwhile there are teachers who are shit at their jobs...
Oddly enough, I would think someone watching movies while they're getting paid to work would constitute as being "shit at their job".

but it seems like most ppl think it's perfectly ok for him to goof off, apparently that's all that the students want to do too, right?

ya, really legit teacher right there.
It was a cover lesson; if he hadn't of been watching it he'd have just been sitting there anyway.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Realitycrash said:
he is breaking a law by showing an R-rated movie to "kids", but really..He should be fired for that?
certainly.

just like any other job would fire you for committing a crime on premises, during business hours.

seriously, ppl saying this should be brushed off have very questionable work ethics.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Silly laws in education make people dumber. No surprise there. I guess I should be happy that back in days in my primary school, the priest teaching us religion brought us first Alien on VHS and we watched it over the next few lessons. We were about 13 back then, no idea which grade it is in US system. No one complained. There was no shitstorm due to it.
Two years later, when our biology teacher got sick and our literature teacher was filling in for her we watched Seven. Again. No shitstorm. No one complained.

I'll never understand the whole idea of "OMG evul teacher shows bad stuff to poor lil children! Think of the children!". For f-sake. It was high-school. They watched and probably done worst things already.

Idiotic laws and regulations that are there because some bigot figured out it's the best way.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
A classic case of parents overreacting and gutless school principals/officials pandering to their stupidity.

When I was in sixth grade our teacher threw a soaking wet chalkboard eraser sponge at me to make me stop talking during the lesson. It smacked me straight in the face, proper watery SPLAT and all. Shockingly, I stopped talking once that happened. My parents heard about it then and reacted the same way they still do.

"Serves you right, you idiot. Stop talking during class when people are trying to listen and learn!"

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Yes because high school students are going to be adversely affected by seeing a clip from a Jackass movie. Their innocent minds scarred forever.....their souls crushed.

Fucking ridiculous over reaction. No way should he have been fired.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Blablahb said:
Shoot up school with firearms and murder people: good thing
Care to elaborate on that?

Oh wait....it's just Blabahb. Nothing to see here folks.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Ya, sorry OP, but he probably should have shown greater foresight before showing it to the class, let alone watching it while on the clock. I got no sympathy for the man. What he did was obviously against the schools policy and going against your employers policy tends to get you fired.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Blablahb said:
It's the kind of thing that makes you shake your head and mumble "Oh, America..."

Shoot up school with firearms and murder people: good thing
Watch a slightly tasteless movie in class: horridly evil thing
Da fuck are you talking about?! If that's suppose to be a joke, I gotta say, it ain't funny. Not in the slightest.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
The Shadowlord said:
How dare he attempt to allow students to enjoy themselves during school hours!

No, seriously. It's ridiculous the fact he's getting punished for this. At the age of most of those kids, I can guarantee they've already seen far, far worse. He should receive a warning for his behaviour, not termination.
Exactly. If this guy's getting fired, then my GCSE english teacher, who made students cry, or bullied them out of his class on a number of occasions and that I was the only one who ever talked back to him (though weirdly enough he respected me for it, and when he wasn't being a dick to people we got on alright) certainly should be.

He bullied a guy out of his drama class over dyslexia, made a girl I know cry over a haircut and pejoratively accused one of my close friends of being gay. Though the back and forth there was sort of funny:

Teacher (to multiple students): Oh, you should watch this music video. It's called 'The Bleeding' by Five Finger Death Punch.

My friend: Oh, that sounds cheerful...

Teacher (to my friend): Well we're not all gay, like you!

My friend isn't even gay and has never led anyone to suspect as such, so it was completely out of the blue.