So...Am I in the right?

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
So I was at a party and a girl asks me to take a photo of her and her friends. So I do but then some guy comes in and smashes into me. I drop the camera and it breaks. Then, the girl says I have to buy her a new camera. I refused and said the guy should do it rather than me as it wasn't entirely my fault. Am I in the right?

EDIT: I know its not a scam, it was one of my friends that I somewhat trust and I doubt she actually would scam me. But just in case I guess I'll still go get the camera checked out at a store.

Meanmoose

Jan 20, 2009
aaaaw that really sucks. Could you split the cost between you and the guy who bumped into you?

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well how hard did he bump into you?
Perhaps you should have had a better hold on the camera.
And also it was a party, really you should expected at least a little bit of turbulance.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
How'd you manage to drop a camera from him bumping into you? Did you mean he slide-tackled you or something?

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
dyre said:
How'd you manage to drop a camera from him bumping into you? Did you mean he slide-tackled you or something?
Well no, but I'm pretty small (and at the time, inebriated like everyone else at the party), and this big guy runs into me to go to the drinks table, which causes me to drop the camera.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
deshorty said:
So I was at a party and a girl asks me to take a photo of her and her friends. So I do but then some guy comes in and smashes into me. I drop the camera and it breaks. Then, the girl says I have to buy her a new camera. I refused and said the guy should do it rather than me as it wasn't entirely my fault. Am I in the right?
Yes you are. Plain and simple. He caused you to fall and break the camera, he's liable.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
I may be coming from a poor view of humanity here but could it be a scam? I've heard of these before, and seen them first hand from my time as a bar tender.

Some woman asks someone to take a picture on a broken camera/phone. Gets a friend to bump into the person hard enough to make them drop it so then the woman can demand the person who dropped it buy her a new one/ a drink or just gives her money. Then when that person has left streight to the next guy near by to do it all again. I've seen it done 20 or more times in a single night by the same couple of people...

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Regardless of whether or not you're in the right, don't give any money. If they threaten legal action or anything like that then laugh in their face because it'll cost them a hell of a lot more than whatever the camera's worth.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
How can you even think that you need to pay for it? It's in no way your fault. Don't cave in and if they persist tell them to get lost.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
It's kinda rude for them to expect you to pay for it...

Personally I'm the kinda person who would help buy a new one but if sombody demanded that I owe them a new one I would out right refuse to give them a dime

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
you are right. how hard can it be not to bumb into the guy holding the camera?
btw did you fasten the strap that most cameras have on your wrist?

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
You shouldn't pay, she's being unreasonable. You wouldn't even have been holding it if it wasn't for her asking for you to take the photo.

If it's a friend then you could maybe contribute to the cost, but frankly this just sounds like a party mishap - just one of those things that she should have known better. Next time she should take a disposable/keep it to herself instead of bringing an expensive camera and letting drunk people handle it.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
You're story is way to vague to even tell, especially since I could see this happening

So I was at a party and this guy was taking a photo of a girl and her friends. So I walk by but then some guy bumps into me causing me to run into the guy with the camera. He drops the camera and it breaks. Then, the girl says I have to buy her a new camera. I refused and said the guy should do it rather than me as it wasn't entirely my fault. Am I in the right?