So...Anime

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon, Gundam Wing,... the usual. I never really thought of those as anime though. They were just cartoons.

Bath water.

Gomithrus

Nov 2, 2009
Well apart from what was on TV when I was younger (Dragonball, DBZ, Pokemon, Digimon, and the like). The first couple animes I watched were Gundam Wing and Neon Genesis Evangelion. After those I exclusively watched anime for about 2-3 months. So I have seen a bunch by now, some good, some bad.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
My first series was Pokemon, back when I was 9 or 10-ish. For ages it was the only series I could stand, probably entirely for nostalgia reasons. Tried watching Digimon, but I just couldn't get into it. (Probably because it wasn't Pokemon).
Then I went to Uni, and I had a lecture on how technology affects our perception, language etc. My lecturer suggested watching Ghost In The Shell, which I did. It's still my favourite Anime film and amongst my favourite films ever. After seeing Spirited Away, I was hooked. I've watched a lot of series since then...

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Aside from Pokemon at a young age, would most likely be Yu-Gi-Oh on Saturday morning. Or if that is once again too kid focused and more of cartoon than anything else, would have been FLCL on adult swim.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
My first "anime" was the widely viewed Pokemon. However, I don't consider my real indoctrination into the anime-loving crowd to have happened until 7th grade, when I was loaned a set of Naruto, episodes 1-72, burned by a friend that I watched almost obsessively.

dragon_tail

Apr 19, 2011
I got into anime while watching Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Digimon, Detective Conan, Sailor Moon on german RTL 2. That't how I learned German although it's not my native language. I didn't really know it was anime, I only knew it was better and more interesting that the cartoons on other channels. Later, when I found out what anime was, I started watching with the usual bunch: Death Note, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist etc.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
First was Akira and Ghost in the Shell on VHS.
My first series was Slayers followed shortly be Slayers Next and Try. Next would be Neon Genesis Evangelion and Kenshin. After that comes several others.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
At first Pokemon of course at the age of 7.
Then DBZ and SailorMoon, after those I found FMA and FMP.
Then I found manga and haven't looked back since :p
So I yeah, anime not so much since maybe 6 years back while I still enjoy the read of the big 3 that I started reading so many years ago (Bleach, Naruto and FairyTail). Luckily they all seem to be coming to an end soon.

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I grew up with four TV channels, none of which showed anime. However, my older sister had a friend who would bring over tapes of Escaflowne and Gundam Wing, so I was the annoying eightish-year-old sister who would bother them and watch their shows. Our family also rented the first Pokemon movie, which left me kind of confused. I saw Spirited Away when I was about eleven, and I loved it.

When I was thirteen, I got into a vampire phase. (I tried to read several Anne Rice books, but the sex stuff grossed me out.) My sister decided to introduce me to Hellsing, and this was when I realized: 1. There are these cartoons called anime, and 2. I can watch as many as I want for free on the internet. I asked my sister what her favorite anime was, and she said Haibane Renmei. I watched and loved it and I have been into anime ever since. However, I still haven't seen much of Sailor Moon, DBZ, Digimon, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and other staples of the anime experience.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
As a kid, I watched all the usual jargon, such as Dragon Ball Z, Digimon Tamers (the best Digimon and significantly better than any of them Pokemon), Yu-gi-oh! I also saw a bit of .hack, simply because I got the game for christmas, but what really got me into anime was Death Note, which was a about a year and half ago, and just the sheer addiction and anticipation every single episode gave me. The rest is history. Some anime that I really like are:

Death Note (obviously)
Monster
Ergo Proxy
Kino's Journey
Gankutsuou, The Count of Monte Cristo
Darker than Black (season one and the ovas, season 2 can fuck off for all I care)
Fullmetal Alchemist (all of it)
Raxhephon
Evangelion and the movies (although I do have a few problems with the series)
Cowboy Bebop (duh)
Everything of Ghost in the Shell, including the movies and television series
Hellsing OVAs
Trigun
Baccano! and Durarara!!
And a little bit of Soul Eater, although the ending was kind of lame

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Dragonball Z was my first anime and the seed of my unending hatred for anime.

A hatred that wouldn't be shaken until I watch Cowboy Bebop years later.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I got into anime through Astro boy, Black Jack, Pokemon and Virus: Virus buster Serge. I used to love watching the 2003 series of Astro boy on a morning before going to school.

This theme is a great way to kick start the day.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
There was DBZ and Pokemon but when I was younger I just thought of them as cartoons, didn't know they were specifically Anime. My first encounter with the actual "real deal" was the old movies they used to put on the Sci-Fi Channel at midnight, back when it didn't have the biblicaly idiotic Sy-Fy tag.

Stuff like Ninja Scroll, Akira, Violence Jack and others. Good times, although admittedly I was a tad to young for them since I hadn't even hit double digits at that point.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Dragonball Z piqued my interest but it was Tenchi Muyo and the Blue Submarine no.6 OVA that really got me interested. But back then I had no way of adhering to a set TV schedule so it kinda fell out. Then about 4 years ago whilst browsing youtube for music, found out that a lot of the best songs I found were from Anime. Hunted down a series called Gurren Lagann because of the song Libra Me from Hell. A few series later and I have seen a lot of great series. Tracked down streams of Tenchi Muyo and watched the entire series, FLCL was a happy little adventure, Trigun was awesome, and I currently am in the middle of the Hellsing series cause I am waiting on the rest of the Hellsing OVA's to be released/licensed.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Fappy said:
Like almost everyone my age: Dragon Ball Z.

Oh Toonami...
Am I the only one who watched Dragon ball Z BEFORE Toonami got ahold of it? When it was playing on that one channel, and only played the first two season over and over again? I liked the voices they gave those character, particularly Vegeta's for some reason. I was really disappointed when Toonami continued the dubs but got entierly new voice actors for everyone.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Dragon Ball in English dub was the first anime I can remember seeing. The first anime series I watched in it's entirety was Dragon Ball Z in Japanese with sub-titles. And the first anime that made me realize it's potential was Cowboy Bebop.

Rinshan Kaihou

Dec 3, 2009
First ever? Howls moving castle and Nausicaa. My 8th grade math teacher put them on. After that. Full metal panic. And then a few years, and then I watched some on netflix. Kiddy Grade, Spice and Wolf, Shikabane Hime, Deathnote even. After that not much for a bit, until I found anime-planet.com. And now my watched list has hit 103. That was almost a year ago. Ahhhh, nostalgia.

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
well you want to hear something other than I saw X show when i was little?

I was killing time looking for a mmorpg online.... and saw Neosteam its gone now i dont think i played the game for more than a day myself but, Atlus online where i found it had links to Crunchyroll anime on their website. I had always thought the artstyle looked cool but being from a tradition catholic family in Maine.... it wasn;t something that was around or that i had access too

but i saw the links on their site and watched Neo Angelique Abyss, thats right a full on bishie man-harem was my first show, and then i watched Gintama (which is my favorite by the way) and this was in august/september of 09' while I was 18 so i never watched when i was younger,

and this is were I am today http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Neverarine 500 some-odd shows in 3 years....