So anime?

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
Been a fan for a long time now watch a lot and try to keep up to date, been watching sword art online, jormungand, and medaka box plus a few others recently.
My top 5 I would have to say:
1. A Certain Magical Index
2. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
3. Natsume's Book of Friends
4. The World God Only Knows
5. FLCL

Honorable mention goes to Haruhi Suzumiya who was taken off because of endless eight.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
I don't see how someone could just completely reject all anime unless they'd never really given it a shot. I mean the term anime encompasses so much stuff that there has to be something that could appeal to even the naying-est of nay-sayers.

I will now take this opportunity to plug Sakamichi no Apollon because it deserves way more attention than it gets:

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Obligatory link to my list [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DrCakey].

Casual Shinji said:
I'm an old school fan.

I don't bother with any of the newer stuff anymore, because quite frankly I think it's horrendous. Maybe it's because I've gotten too old, but all the teenage pandering fanservice the majority of current anime has devolved into is not my bag. Nichijou is the only modern anime that that I find genuinely good.
I'm basically the opposite, in that I can't really enjoy most old anime even if they're acclaimed (the oldest would have to be Evangelion, 1995), but you have a very valid point. I think it has to do with the fact that there are almost no daytime anime slots in Japan; it's almost exclusively late-night TV. You can still hunt for things that don't fit that bill, but you shouldn't be forced to.

Neronium said:
I honestly used to be, but I'm not anymore. The reason is because for over 1 year I didn't have access to a computer with the ability to stream so I couldn't watch any. I used to have a site that I used to watch it on but then the government shut it down. Now I do have a computer and I have the ability to watch anime but I just haven't done so. Mainly it's because I focus on my Let's Plays nowadays and don't seem to have time between school, work, and the LPs to really watch anime. Really I think the only way I could get back on it is if someone tied me down and forced me to watch anime again, which I wouldn't mind as much because I miss anime. I honestly don't know why I've given it up though because it used to be such a huge addiction in my life and used to cure my depressions.
There are these things called "legal streaming sites" Al Gore invented in 2011. You might want to give them a try.

EDIT:
Palademon said:
As a person with ADHD.

Watch ALL the things!

Finish NONE of the things!
As a person without ADHD.

Watch SOME OF the things!

Finish NONE of the things!

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I'm fairly hardcore into anime. I don't always have to watch subbed, and I don't read a lot of manga, but I've watched more anime than all the nerds I've met combined, somewhere around 200 different series.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
I have the ability to now and have a site I can go to but I've just lost interest. Then again I lose interest in many things when I get in a depression. Anyway the problem before was that many of the sites require things like Adobe and I have an Ipod Touch 3rd Gen so it was impossible for me to watch anything but YouTube. Posting on this site was difficult too.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
Obligatory link to my list [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DrCakey].

Casual Shinji said:
I'm an old school fan.

I don't bother with any of the newer stuff anymore, because quite frankly I think it's horrendous. Maybe it's because I've gotten too old, but all the teenage pandering fanservice the majority of current anime has devolved into is not my bag. Nichijou is the only modern anime that that I find genuinely good.
I'm basically the opposite, in that I can't really enjoy most old anime even if they're acclaimed (the oldest would have to be Evangelion, 1995), but you have a very valid point. I think it has to do with the fact that there are almost no daytime anime slots in Japan; it's almost exclusively late-night TV. You can still hunt for things that don't fit that bill, but you shouldn't be forced to.
It's just become rather complacent. There just don't seem to be any big ideas or imaginative settings anymore. 90% of the current shows either take place in a high school or star a high schooler.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
the older animes like trigun or outlawstart are well worth to see. The newer ones often suffer from their attachment to tradition and other flaws like terrible amounts of fillers. DBZ already took ages to have stuff happen, naruto and one piece follow that path.
the best new anime in my opinion is 'avatar: the legend of korra' and its prequel 'avatar: the last airbender', which arent japanese and profit from that in their execution and their style.

I'm no critic or anything like that, so thats just my observation and my thoughts to it

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I'm such otaku!
(I hope you get my cynical tone)

But I have watched some number of anime.
Favorite ones?
1.Ghost in the Shell: SAC
2.Steins;Gate
3.RahXephon
4.Angel Beats
5.Elfen Lied
Guilty pleasure?
High School of the Dead
it has plenty of reasons for me to hate it, yet I can't force myself to hate it :/

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I like some anime, but like with every other medium it's about the quality. I also don't like series that drag on forever. I like seeing a conclusion to a series. I tend to prefer series that have less than 50 episodes.

Now my favoruite series include
Case Closed (Detective Conan)
Hayate No Gotoku
Yuriyuru
Girls und Panzer
Love Hina
Great Teacher Onizuka

And of course my all time favourite, the best anime I have ever watched, Welcome To The NHK. This is the anime I will always recommend.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
It's just become rather complacent. There just don't seem to be any big ideas or imaginative settings anymore. 90% of the current shows either take place in a high school or star a high schooler.
Well, that's an easier problem to solve, at least. Off the top of my head there's Fate/zero and Psycho-Pass (which were, by what I assume isn't coincidence, written by the same person), although whether you'd enjoy them or not is another question. You're definitely right, though. Of the six currently-airing things I'm watching, five have high school-age main characters.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
If AniDB is to be believed I have spent almost 27 days watching anime. It was last updated over a year ago, and I only started watching it in 2008 or 9, so in the space of around 2 and a half years I spent around a month watching anime. That's over 1,500 episodes of various anime since last count, and that doesn't include any that I accidentally missed.

I don't really watch much anymore because I like to watch TV and game at the same time, or listen to music and play games, and I can't do that with anime as I have to watch the subtitles to know whats going on, I can't just listen and glance at my laptop because I don't understand Japanese. And no, I can't watch the dubbed version, they're almost universally terrible. Almost.

Anyhow, some of my favourites are Code Geass, Lucky Star, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Azumanga Daio and Clannad. I have watched a fair share of trashy, generic anime too, I used to just watch it and chill out.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I can't stand almost all of the exagerated shit. Like the mad-sized faces when somone is happy, not to mention the sheer amount of bullshit anime is when it comes to anything remotely romance like. Of the number of anime I've watched (Most at my flatmates request, who is currently going through this disturbing anime obsession) the only ones I've thoroughly enjoyed have been Hellsing (Both the TV series and the Ultimate series), Ghost in the SHell, Gantz, most of Elfin Leid and Dragon Ball Z. Although DBZ tends to be more nostalgic, as it does get a bit kiddish at times. And at other times...it has a dude cut the fuck out of another dude with a sword and then you see him fall apart.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
I don't really like anime.
I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's partly because of the whole culture attached to it, maybe it's because of the cultural differences making it very difficult for me to sympathize with anything, or maybe I'm just a xenophobic dick, I don't know.

Although I hope it's not the last one.

Grogman

Mar 2, 2011
I love anime more than anything, even more than games.
Watched:
- Neon Genesis Evangelion + all the movies except the newest (pretty much my favourite, and I started reading the manga too)
- Death Note (read the manga too, love this so much)
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (this was pretty meh, I liked the story though)
- FLCL (read the manga too, no idea what was going on in either)
- Cowboy Bebop (pure awesome)
- Trigun + movie(also pure awesome)
- Samurai Champloo(again, awesome)
- Darker Than Black (one of my favourites)
- Legend of Korra (not really sure if this counts or not, but I love it)
- Princess Mononoke (I think my absolute favourite film)
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (one of my favourite films)

Watching:
- Black Butler (insanely good, I've only got a few of the OVAs left to watch)
- Ouran High School Host Club (I love it so much)
- Sword Art Online (it annoys me, but I keep watching for some reason)

Going to watch:
- Full Metal Alchemist (both series)
- Code Geass
- Ao no Exorcist
- Ghost in the Shell
- Hetalia
- Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
- Spirited Away
- Laputa's Castle in the Sky
- Howl's Moving Castle
- My Neighbour Totoro

Manga:
- Death Note
- Denpa Kyoushi (my absolute favourite)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (started, on chapter 5 atm)
- Sword Art Online (preferred to the anime so far, on chapter 5 I think)
- Ouran High School Host Club (stopped because I didn't really like it, I think it works so much better as an anime)
- FLCL (no idea what that was about)
- Black Butler (so awesome, chapter 3 atm)
- Karneval (haven't started yet)
This will no doubt expand enourmously in the next few months, I've been getting super into a bunch of animes recently.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Xzithelost said:
Are you into it Or Against it?
If with it Are you a Hardcore fan or just a "I watched Naruto and now i'm a otaku" Mainsteam anime fag :3
If against it Why you hate it?
I love anime but I am totally against it (I generally cry when they end).

I'm not a main stream homosexual. I have watched a lot of the more obscure stuff like Dragon Ballz, Bleach and one peice. Just kidding I haven't seen any of them, some rather obscure anime I have watched would be....

Berserk: A real man's anime which teaches you how to be a man with swinging genitalia, and bristling facial hair.

Elfen Lied: The whole incest part was really heart warming and felt.... you know just right. But now I can't enjoy catgirls any more as I am reminded, of how murderous they are in this series.

Street fighter 2v: check this theme out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOG-YCPoQBw

Those are just some off the top of my greasy little head. I like anime because I have always loved animation and cartoons, and the Japanese stuff is always of a much higher quality than the crap the west churns out. It looks nicer, it's more entertaining, there's more of it. The west just can't compete, cartoons just seem to be something the Japanese are just geared to do better than us.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I'm stuck between a hardcore and casual watcher. I love anime but I don't watch it too much.

Latest one I watched was Nichijou, which is amazing.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Xzithelost said:
Talaris said:
[Kira Must Die said:
]Why yes, I'm an anime fan.

And kind of a big one, too. [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KiraMustDie]

Been one since I saw pokemon when I was 4.

My top 5 are:

1) FLCL
2) Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3) K-ON!
4) Neon Genesis Evangelion
5) Death Note
Just skimmed your list and immediately noticed Azumanga Daioh wasn't present, not even in your plan to watch. If you rank K-ON! third, then you'll love this series also, I highly recommend it!
Yes Yes Azumanga is the sh*tz
I've only seen the first episode, but from what I've seen, it seems alright. I need to find the time to watch it.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
I do like anime, however I'm rather picky. I don't really like the whole shounen thing. Bleach managed to keep me interested for a while, so that's an exception I guess.

I'm mostly into horror, psychological, seinen and dramas. I also prefer short series and movies over long running shows like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etcetc

I recently watched this amazing anime movie

Synopsis
It's the summer of 1945. 3 years have elapsed since the war between Japan and USA began. Gen is a young boy living a struggling yet satisfying life in the city of Hiroshima, that has been strangely spared by the bombing taken in almost every other Japanese City. Food is scarce, and Gen's family is suffering from severe malnutrition, which endangeres his pregnant mother. There isn't much spare time as Gen and his little brother Shinji help their father and mother at work and try to make sure their family survives the tought times. Little do they know, what the Americans have in store for the city of Hiroshima and as of the 6th of August 1945, their lives are about to change dramatically.

(Source: ANN)

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
-Neon Genesis Evangelion (Easily my favorite)
-Code Geass
-Gunslinger Girl
-FLCL
-Azumangah Daioh
-Ghost in the Shell (the movie; I haven't watched the anime)
-Lucky Star (what got me into anime)