So Blizzard, Valve, how does it feel...

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
manythings said:
zehydra said:
Blizzard probably couldn't give a shit. Can't say the same for Valve, because I don't know them as well.

Blizzard are perfectionists who scoff at the idea of deadlines.
Correction, they can afford to scoff at deadlines. If WoW died tomorrow they'd suddenly care a lot less about perfection.
Except Blizzard were perfectionists even before they made WoW. Due to a negative E3 response as well as limitations of the WarCraft II engine, Blizzard created a brand new engine just for StarCraft. After they realised that it was going to end up being a subpar game in light of other, much better adventure games, Blizzard scrapped WarCraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, even though the game was practically finished at that point. WarCraft III didn't even start out as an RTS and they already had a public demo developed, but Blizzard changed their minds and began the project anew.

Not that it matters, since "how can they afford to be perfectionists now" isn't the interesting question. The interesting question is "how were they able to reach the point where they can afford to be perfectionists". That is the question to which people, particularly game developers, should be seeking an answer for.

Also, is Escapist serious with this captcha?

I can't even read what it says!

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
You know...I can just see it now. Duke Nukem Forever comes out, but no one buys it immediately. This will not be because they are concerned with it being good or bad; it'll be because no one will be sure if it's all a dream, or if it'll explode upon contact, or if it's just another game with the supposed Duke Nukem Forever cover slipped over it. XD

But yeah, I don't think Blizzard or Valve actually care about the Duke that much.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
You're getting yourself really hyped up about the new Duke Nukem... I'd really dial it down a notch before you get disappointed. If you do, you better not come here and complain about it!