So... College?

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I go to Virginia commonwealth university, I'm studying bio-medical engineering. I've already done two years at a community college in a general engineering program and my first day of classes is Thursday. Should be way different going to an actual university.

I also really like hookah bars, in fact tonight I might go to one. Mostly I just hang out with friends from where I used to live, drink till the wee hours of the morning, and occasionally go to clubs.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
FuzzySeduction said:
chaosyoshimage said:
I wanted to. I've been out of High School for nearly two years and have no social life what so ever. I was going to go to the local community college but I couldn't get a car/driver's license to go. Classes started today, so I'm really depressed.
Why don't you find out if someone nearby can carpool with you? Pay for some of the gas or something, and they should be fine with that. Or maybe lookup if your school has a shuttle system, mine does.
See the thing is, by local, I mean a few towns over. I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm really bad with asking people for help and I only have one real friend whom I only communicate with through e-mail (He didn't mention "I wish I could help" today, but I don't think he could). Honestly, I'm bad with asking people for help, I guess because I've always had to fend for myself in life and don't really relate to people...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Chapman University, Orange, CA
Computer Science
Senior
Study and play games

Yeah... I'm boring.

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
Northeastern University for civil engineering. One step closer to becoming a learned engineer!

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
brodie21 said:
Beginning the new college semester, I was curious if the Escapist goes to college? where do you go? What do you study? what year are you? what do you do in your spare time?

I go to West Virginia University, i am studying Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, i am a Junior. Last night me and my roomate went to a Hookah bar and blew smoke bubbles.
<color=purple> I also live in West Virginia. I started college today. And I had a couple friends tell me that they went to a hookah bar last night. Cuuuurious. o_O
I am actually going to West Liberty University. Majoring in Computer Information Systems, but this is my freshman year and I'm not yet taking anything related to my major. Just taking care of requirements and whatnot.

Insignia19

Sep 1, 2009
Going into my 2nd year of Media Arts at Sheridan College. Gonna be busy as hell making shitty student films!!!!

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I go to a small local college in Erie, PA by the name of Mercyhurst. I just transferred to the main campus after a stint in a smaller college so I'm a sophmore but I have four more years to go before I graduate. I am also taking a degree in Intelligence.

Ghost_308

Apr 1, 2010
Go to a Community College/Tech school getting my basics out while learning 3d animation/game design plan to next year or the next(Depends on how long the 3d program will take) going to SWOSU for a bachelor degree in English. (Plan to try to be a writer for games though that will be a long shot.)

Spend most of my free time working on my game though it will probably be impossible for me to finish, as I know very little about scripting and all the other little things but don't know if you don't try.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Jjtricky said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Well I live in the UK where the education system is a little different but I gather that a "college" is the equivalent of a university in the UK. And yes, I do go to a university. More specifically, I study BSc Computer Science at Royal Holloway University of London and am starting my second of three years next month. I wonder if there are any other Escapists going there too.
Thoughts on your course? Would you recommend it? Oh and friends GF is going to Royal Holloway - you start in a couple of weeks, right?
Hey, I knew there'd be someone! I really enjoyed my course for the first year. I feel that I learned a lot over a range of useful areas - I even got to do a unit on computer games. I chose RH because it's known for good research quality in the subject (among other things) and they didn't let me down. Not that I have any other courses to compare it to but I'm at least satisfied anyway. You could certainly do a lot worse.

thefrizzlefry

Feb 20, 2009
Going to Northwestern next year. I'm pretty much a shoo-in. I have good grades and I'm a legacy. My grandfather was the head of the Finance department and is a fellow there, and it's my father's alma mater. So, yeah.
Go Wildcats.

mussics

Aug 11, 2011
Let's get educational in this bi*ch.
So , im going year 11 this autumn , so ill have to pick my choices . what's better , college or 6th form? What are the disadvantages and disadvantages of each?
~Nyan

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Hopefully the Art Institute or SCAD. I want to major in game design. The academic credentials are a big plus, but mostly I just want to learn more about the industry and how game design works.

Jjtricky

Apr 9, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
Jjtricky said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Well I live in the UK where the education system is a little different but I gather that a "college" is the equivalent of a university in the UK. And yes, I do go to a university. More specifically, I study BSc Computer Science at Royal Holloway University of London and am starting my second of three years next month. I wonder if there are any other Escapists going there too.
Thoughts on your course? Would you recommend it? Oh and friends GF is going to Royal Holloway - you start in a couple of weeks, right?
Hey, I knew there'd be someone! I really enjoyed my course for the first year. I feel that I learned a lot over a range of useful areas - I even got to do a unit on computer games. I chose RH because it's known for good research quality in the subject (among other things) and they didn't let me down. Not that I have any other courses to compare it to but I'm at least satisfied anyway. You could certainly do a lot worse.
I'm in the middle of writing my Personal Statement for a CS course - anything they really liked about yours?

Also, how much Maths is involved in the regular course?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Jjtricky said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Jjtricky said:
I'm in the middle of writing my Personal Statement for a CS course - anything they really liked about yours?

Also, how much Maths is involved in the regular course?
It's hard to say exactly what counts as "maths" but I'd say roughly 25% of the course is maths focused. I mean, anything involving computers is more or less based on some kind of maths... so, yeah.

I can't really say what they liked about my personal statement - I never got any feedback on it and I was just happy that they accepted me ("lol"). I pretty much just wrote about what I did, both academically and not-so-academically. I included that I play a lot of video games and mentioned a few basic programs I'd written. I never did DofE or anything so don't worry too much about that stuff. All I can really say is that you should definitely get someone to read through your personal statement - I gave mine to one of my teachers and he REALLY helped me improve it, particularly since he had experience with other students' applications.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Mr. Purple said:
brodie21 said:
Beginning the new college semester, I was curious if the Escapist goes to college? where do you go? What do you study? what year are you? what do you do in your spare time?

I go to West Virginia University, i am studying Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, i am a Junior. Last night me and my roomate went to a Hookah bar and blew smoke bubbles.
<color=purple> I also live in West Virginia. I started college today. And I had a couple friends tell me that they went to a hookah bar last night. Cuuuurious. o_O
I am actually going to West Liberty University. Majoring in Computer Information Systems, but this is my freshman year and I'm not yet taking anything related to my major. Just taking care of requirements and whatnot.
<color=red>well if they went<color=green> to x-hale thats where i was, <color=blue>definitely recommend it

<color=white>did you know that if you put white as the color you cant see it?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I did computer science at the University of Waterloo in Ontario.

Nothing like 5 years of constant 90-110 hour work weeks.