So Dragon Age 3.... No Pressure?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've seen this brought up a few times around here before but never a discussion dedicated to it. So Dragon Age 3... I can't think of any other modern game that has had so much working against it (save Duke Nukem maybe). Not only do they need to salvage the unmitigated disaster that was Dragon Age 2, but they also need to deal with the fallout of ME3's ending fiasco. On top of that they need to attract new fans while doing their damnedest to reel in many of their old fans who've lost hope in the franchise (in some cases the developer themselves). That's a lot of pressure, and I can only imagine that EA is cracking down in an effort to salvage this IP. I don't work for Bioware, so I can't possibly know what's going on over there... but its not hard to imagine the stress everyone must be under over there.

So what do you guys think? Are the devs just rolling in cash without a care in the world or are they pulling out their hair over this game? I can only hope that, assuming blood and sweat goes into this game, we get something worthwhile out of it.

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
Well, we have to remember that the endings of ME3 were not under peer-review, so I don't think Bioware is just rolling around in cash and ignoring the internet squabble. I never got into Dragon Age (always felt like a generic fantasy to me :/), but from what I heard in DA2, the game went from a story involving nations to just a family getting by. So, it essentially took a step backwards. Might be a good idea to get me up to speed on what happened. But, yeah, after ME3, I've lost a lot of respect toward Bioware as writers, after the ME3 endings, so I assume it had something to do with that?

Edit: When I said a "step backwards", I meant that the change of focus was jarring compared to the first game. Unlike ME, Dragon Age changed it's sense of scope, so the two games are similar only by universe, certain features, and name.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
It'll be garbage. I would say that it would sell anyway, but after they just threw up their hands and gave up on DA2, there is hope that it will crash and burn.

worldruler8 said:
so I assume it had something to do with that?
It's not so much the family focus, but how godawful the plot is. The entire 1st act is a waste of time, the game ends in act 2, and then a whole other plot starts in act 3 ending in boss fights that would embarrass the power rangers. And on top of that, the Kaiden of DA2 is one of the better characters. Let that sink in.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'll probably enjoy it, since BioWare games are still entertain me greatly. But I think Dragon Age 3 will be one of the most interesting games to watch around its release. The company has never had to come back from such a negative response. It'll be popcorn time whenever it comes out, no matter whether you love them or hate them.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DustyDrB said:
I'll probably enjoy it, since BioWare games are still entertain me greatly. But I think Dragon Age 3 will be one of the most interesting games to watch around its release. The company has never had to come back from such a negative response. It'll be popcorn time whenever it comes out, no matter whether you love them or hate them.
I completely agree. Things are going to get crazy around here when the marketing campaign starts up.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
Well, as someone who enjoyed Dragon Age II and didn't ***** about the ME3 ending. I'm sure I'll be happy with what they give us.

As someone who found mass effects 3 ending interesting i also can not wait for dragon age 3 (although with the bioware releases lately i will be avoiding this forum the moment it comes out. Since it will probably be filled with people complaining anyway.

Corax_1990

May 21, 2010
The Dragon Age franchise will be like the Fable games. Start with a really well made, memorable game and get increasingly worse as you make more games.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Well, if you were at PAX East for their Dragon Age panel, they talked about how they "were not" doing Dragon age there, and it "would not" be going back to a DA:O feel and scope, and how when you equip a piece of armour on one character, then switch it over to another it "would not" change in appearance slightly to give each character its own visual profile.

While DA2 was not as good as DA:O they had some good things to draw from, primarly (imo) the combat. I hope that they take the combat from 2 and merge it with the scope of DA:O.

I also think that while people had issues with both ME3 ending (either original or extended cut) and how DA2 played out, Bioware is still one of the top company's in the gaming world when it comes to telling a fantastic story.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I find myself rather ambivalent.

I like Bioware's games, especially the newer ones, but I was never hugely into Dragon Age. It was a decent game, but the prospect of saving not-Middle Earth from the not-orcs and their dragon was just a bit too generic and unimaginative to really pull me in. Then the pointy-eared-forest-people-with-bows and the short-stocky-bearded-subterrainian-people showed up. Eaargh.

I derived some enjoyment from DA2, but I don't deny that it had severe issues.

So DA3... meh. I'll get it at some point, and probably enjoy it, but I'm hardly drooling in anticipation. I'd say I was interested in how it was going to be received given the circumstances, but the thought of witnessing another Bioware induced shitstorm of online bickering is not a particularly appealing one.

J. Mazarin

Jun 25, 2012
If they do to Dragon Age 3 what they did with Mass Effect 3 (incorporating some of the much-needed RPG elements from the first Mass Effect with the combat and dynamics of the second one) then DA3 should be a stellar game.

Provided it doesn't have a shitty ending, that is. Though, since it's not the end of a trilogy and we haven't maintained the same character throughout the first two games, a "meh" ending could be passable provided the rest of the game is solid.

I really do think (or at least hope) they learned their lesson with DA2.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Are you going to be Hawke again in DA3? I really don't wanna be Hawke again. I felt I wrapped up her story pretty good. She and Fenris disappeared to make little half-elf babies.

All I really hope about DA3 is they don't put in that whole `Thought you were done with combat? HA! Here are a bunch of more spawns!` thing. It was like trying to hang up on someone who wont stop talking.
I don't have massive hopes for DA3, but I hope it surprises me.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
The Dragon Age PnP RPG has disappointed me far, far less than BioWare's POS 2nd installment. So if the 3rd game is actually more like the 1st, I'll probably buy it when the price drops or there's a sale. If not I'll just wiki the plot developments.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Phasmal said:
Are you going to be Hawke again in DA3? I really don't wanna be Hawke again. I felt I wrapped up her story pretty good. She and Fenris disappeared to make little half-elf babies.

All I really hope about DA3 is they don't put in that whole `Thought you were done with combat? HA! Here are a bunch of more spawns!` thing. It was like trying to hang up on someone who wont stop talking.
I don't have massive hopes for DA3, but I hope it surprises me.
I am pretty sure Hawke's out of the picture now. I really hope they fix up the combat. I loved DAO's, but can see why people had issues with it... I just don't want Dynasty Warriors and infinite spawns D:

The only thing they managed to succeeded at is Rogue gameplay. Warriors and Mages were painfully boring and the entire tactical aspect of the franchise was shot dead.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
Well, I'd say it's almost a forgone certainity that DA3 will be bland and generic, if not outright bad. Reason I think that is this; DA:O was a self-contained story. All the plot points were wrapped up in either the main game or the dlc.

Trying to continue on and tell more stories in the DA universe is silly really. Look what happened with DA:2, the story was a trainwreck. BioWare has the issue of "Where do we go from here?" "How do we top the Archdemon?" The short answer is, they can't. They don't have much of anywhere to go because the universe's big bad was killed in the first game. If they try to do so it's just going to feel hollow and contrived.

IMO, BioWare just needs to quit while they are semi-ahead of the game in regards to the DA franchise. Any further entries in the series are just not needed.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
BioWare needs to stop making their games for money and start making the games that they want to make.

To do that they need to leave EA.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
I hated the Mass Effect 3 ending, I still hate it. I really don't trust Bioware at this junction because of the monkey on their shoulder. (Hi EA) But i'll keep an eye on this, personally I thought Dragon Age 2 was pretty great, little on the repetitive side but I didn't mind. Interesting narrative, I liked how imposing that city looked, and overall the combat had weight behind it.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Fappy said:
DustyDrB said:
I completely agree. Things are going to get crazy around here when the marketing campaign starts up.
Not as crazy as the inevitable flame-war that will erupt two wees after launch, with the "likers" vs the "haters". Gonna be a good show.

I think I will sit this one out. I did not enjoy DA2 at all, with its Mass Effect-like feel, stupid dialog-system (yes, I can't stand the conversation-wheel), equipment-limitations for followers, and simplified combat.
I really can't put a finger on exactly how they screwed up the combat, though..I don't know what, but something just feels..FPS-y? I remember taking my warrior, running up to someone, slashing them down into a literal explosion of blood with one strike, then running to the next, while all party-members were on autopilot. And this was Act I.

Since I doubt they will return to DA:O style gameplay, I will sit this one out. Just gonna watc the debacle go down, not gonna play.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I'm very optimistic, myself.

The development has been extended beyond my initial projections, and seeing the developers talk about maintaining many of the varied improvements they introduced in DAII was a great relief to someone who thought the original was a rather contrived and forgettable affair by comparison.

Also, I do think it's funny when people complain about how BioWare aren't "making games they want to make", when DAII was pretty much a textbook example of a labour of love.
I suppose they should only make the games they want to make if those wants coincide with what *you* want.