So Dragon Age 3.... No Pressure?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Realitycrash said:
I think I will sit this one out. I did not enjoy DA2 at all, with its Mass Effect-like feel, stupid dialog-system (yes, I can't stand the conversation-wheel), equipment-limitations for followers, and simplified combat.
The thing I did like about the conversation wheel is that it gave you an idea of your characters tone with what they're gonna say. I remember picking chat options seriously in DA:O, only to have people tell me to stop being sarcastic.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Phasmal said:
Are you going to be Hawke again in DA3? I really don't wanna be Hawke again. I felt I wrapped up her story pretty good. She and Fenris disappeared to make little half-elf babies.

All I really hope about DA3 is they don't put in that whole `Thought you were done with combat? HA! Here are a bunch of more spawns!` thing. It was like trying to hang up on someone who wont stop talking.
I don't have massive hopes for DA3, but I hope it surprises me.
The second game's protagonist, will continue through future Dragon Age II downloadable content, though Bioware has since announced an end to future Dragon Age II content. Therefore, like the previous games, Dragon Age III will showcase a new protagonist.
from wiki, so yes, we will most likely be seeing a new protagonist.
Fappy said:
The only thing they managed to succeeded at is Rogue gameplay. Warriors and Mages were painfully boring and the entire tactical aspect of the franchise was shot dead.
I don't know about that. I thought the waves system added an extra layer of strategy, because you had to reposition and converse cooldowns for a strong enemy that might come in the second wave, rather than the first. I played both on nightmare difficulty and DA2 was leagues harder than DA:O, exactly because of that. Having said that, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy however they choose to structure the combat this time around, as long as it's challenging and fun like DA:O and DA2.

Other than that, I agree thay they made rogue gameplay really fun. I did my second playthrough as that and the ass whooping they can dish out is awesome.

As for DA3, I'm with the group that enjoyed DA2 and the ME3 ending, both pre and post-EC, so I'm eagerly looking forward to more DA fun. A cause of optimism would be that depending on when the development began, it's probably been in development longer than DA2 by now and it hasn't even been announced yet.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Phasmal said:
Realitycrash said:
I think I will sit this one out. I did not enjoy DA2 at all, with its Mass Effect-like feel, stupid dialog-system (yes, I can't stand the conversation-wheel), equipment-limitations for followers, and simplified combat.
The thing I did like about the conversation wheel is that it gave you an idea of your characters tone with what they're gonna say. I remember picking chat options seriously in DA:O, only to have people tell me to stop being sarcastic.
Problems I have with the wheel: I do not get a clear signal of what my character would say. All I have are "Serious" or "Flirting" or "Humorous" icons. So I decide "Okay, my character would probably be serious in this situation", and then Hawke spits out something semi-threatening or GI-Joe militaristic, and I'm like "Wtf? No, this is NOT my character".
It ruins immersion.
What also ruins immersion is that we only have two voices (male, female), meaning that I lose replay-value based on roleplaying. Sure, I can take different conversation-paths, but it just feels like I am playing an alternate-universe with the same Hawke, that might look differently, but is still essentially the same person. It bugs the hell out of me.
And finally, I enjoyed (just like I enjoy in the Fallout-games) to read the available conversation-options, because even if you were not planning on taking one of them, some are genuinely funny to read. But now I don't even get to see them, and it feels like the game is telling me "To see what you COULD have said, you have to replay the game, HAH!", which just feels like false replay-value.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Realitycrash said:
Phasmal said:
Realitycrash said:
Problems I have with the wheel: I do not get a clear signal of what my character would say. All I have are "Serious" or "Flirting" or "Humorous" icons. So I decide "Okay, my character would probably be serious in this situation", and then Hawke spits out something semi-threatening or GI-Joe militaristic, and I'm like "Wtf? No, this is NOT my character".
It ruins immersion.
What also ruins immersion is that we only have two voices (male, female), meaning that I lose replay-value based on roleplaying. Sure, I can take different conversation-paths, but it just feels like I am playing an alternate-universe with the same Hawke, that might look differently, but is still essentially the same person. It bugs the hell out of me.
And finally, I enjoyed (just like I enjoy in the Fallout-games) to read the available conversation-options, because even if you were not planning on taking one of them, some are genuinely funny to read. But now I don't even get to see them, and it feels like the game is telling me "To see what you COULD have said, you have to replay the game, HAH!", which just feels like false replay-value.
I know they won't but I really wish they'd go back to a no voice protagonist. I've been playing DAO again for the first time in years and the plethora of dialogue options is making me depressed :(

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Will all honesty I have, I will enjoy more this game, than I would enjoy Dragon Age 2:

Loren: The Amazon Princess

Seriously, heared good things about this game. This game have even a DLC.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Aircross said:
BioWare needs to stop making their games for money and start making the games that they want to make.

To do that they need to leave EA.
And to do that they would all need to quit and start up a new company, which means they wouldn't be making Dragon Age 3 anyway.

BoogityBoogityMan

Jan 26, 2012
Here is what will happen: EA will spend more to market the shit out of the game then the game cost to make, promising everyone everything in order to drive presales and ULTRAMEGAOMG $200 collectors editions. Then the people who got super excited and pre-paid for the game thinking they were going to get something special will be pissed off because they were hustled, AGAIN. Then they will take to the internet and rage against EA for their own stupidity.

It will happen again with DAIV and V, as well as MEIV and V, and whatever other AAA EA releases with giant marketing budgets.

If people would stop pre-ordering things, they might actually start making good games.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
I think that if SW:TOR enters 2013 with less than 500k subs, BioWare will be shut down and this won't see the light of day.

Nero18

Jul 5, 2012
Thoric485 said:
I think that if SW:TOR enters 2013 with less than 500k subs, BioWare will be shut down and this won't see the light of day.
They probably have charts and stuff that predict the number of subs, if it looks bad im sure they will start to look att the free2play model if they havent already. BioWare has been a big asset to EA and they are in no way shutting them down.

Also to get to the point, i really wish that BW would focus on some other franchise than this. DA feels so generic and un-interesting. I really would like something new from them especially now that ME trilogy is over.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nero18 said:
Thoric485 said:
They probably have charts and stuff that predict the number of subs, if it looks bad im sure they will start to look att the free2play model if they havent already. BioWare has been a big asset to EA and they are in no way shutting them down.

Also to get to the point, i really wish that BW would focus on some other franchise than this. DA feels so generic and un-interesting. I really would like something new from them especially now that ME trilogy is over.
I believe they've already mentioned going F2P about a month ago. It's just a question of "when" now.

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
I'm giving Bioware the benefit of the doubt on this one.

The've had enough failures lately that they must know that a lot rides on this one. I think since they're on the rebound, they'll attempt to make a game that gets people to trust the Bioware brand once more.

Also, a large amount of DA2's problems came from how rushed the development was. It doesn't look like they're looking to rush this one out the door, so here's hoping that this one turns out well.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
I just want Orlais, is that too much to ask!?

Yes, the movie is in Orlais. BUT IT'S A MOVIE.

DA:O gave a lot of setup for Orlais. I was angry when I found out 2 wasn't there. I mean really....

- You know a lot about politics and how their games work, from Leliana
- You know a bit about the gender inequality from that woman in Denerim's market
- You know about their fashions and cities, from Leliana
- You know they have their own Grey Wardens thanks to Riordan.

Orlais sounds like a really great setting, why on earth did they ignore it in favor of KIRKWALL of all places?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I definitely will not be buying it on day one again. Dragon Age 2 was the first game I got the day it was released, and look where that got me.

I'll sit and watch, like I have with ME3. Enjoy the flame wars and roast the marshmallows until I come to a decision. And the less said about that horrendous anime flick the better.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ranylyn said:
I just want Orlais, is that too much to ask!?

Yes, the movie is in Orlais. BUT IT'S A MOVIE.

DA:O gave a lot of setup for Orlais. I was angry when I found out 2 wasn't there. I mean really....

- You know a lot about politics and how their games work, from Leliana
- You know a bit about the gender inequality from that woman in Denerim's market
- You know about their fashions and cities, from Leliana
- You know they have their own Grey Wardens thanks to Riordan.

Orlais sounds like a really great setting, why on earth did they ignore it in favor of KIRKWALL of all places?
In some panel thing they did back at PAX they heavily implied it was going to be set in Orlais. Sounds cool to me, though I hope they don't half-ass the VO budget and give us a bunch of horrendous French accents. D:

WFox

Aug 6, 2010
Nero18 said:
Thoric485 said:

Well I do enjoy the Dragon Age franchise (though DA2 somewhat less than Origins), but I agree in that it would be nice to see Bioware do some other franchises. I'd love to see another Jade Empire. Knights of the Old Republic 3 would be nice too (but I doubt that'll ever happen at this point).

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
DA2 was garbage.

Reusing your dungeon layouts when they're already highly linear and thoroughly unimaginative.

Side quests that consist entirely of looting a random item and returning it to someone you've never seen before (but conveniently highlighted on your map) in exchange for one line of dialogue and some pocket change.

Combat mechanics that include unpredictable ninja enemy spawns, completely invalidating the concepts of positioning and intelligent cool down usage.

Uneven, poorly paced story where none of your decisions ended up mattering hardly at all.

DA2 was an objectively bad game based on the standards of Bioware and DA:O. If they didn't want to call down that kind of wrath, they should have named it something else.

Nero18

Jul 5, 2012
Fappy said:
Nero18 said:
Thoric485 said:

I believe they've already mentioned going F2P about a month ago. It's just a question of "when" now.
But they havent confirmed going f2p have they? I remember it being a rumor.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Personally I assume they will run Dragon Age into the ground once and for all, in which case they will have killed all their IPs in 3 years. Quite an achievement.

We'll see. But I'm done with giving Bioware the benefit of the doubt.
Its really sad. After ME2 i considered them to be maybe the best dev studio in the world, now i have zero faith in them.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nero18 said:
Fappy said:
Nero18 said:
Thoric485 said:

But they havent confirmed going f2p have they? I remember it being a rumor.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Personally I assume they will run Dragon Age into the ground once and for all, in which case they will have killed all their IPs in 3 years. Quite an achievement.

We'll see. But I'm done with giving Bioware the benefit of the doubt.
Its really sad. After ME2 i considered them to be maybe the best dev studio in the world, now i have zero faith in them.
I am 90% sure I read a quote from a dev shortly after the recent layoffs that they are strongly considering going F2P. There was an article here about a month ago I believe.