Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Mar 30, 2010
It's easy EA. Every time you make a decision, ask yourselves "Is this something that only a raging dickhole would do?" And then, when you invariably answer 'yes', do something else instead.

But praise where praise is due, EA. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Aw, is the wittle EA exec sad the pweoples don't likeies him?

That's ok. Only what shareholders think actually matters after all.

Sep 24, 2008
Ok.

I try to be fair. But I'm livid. I'm fucking livid.

"25 years at EA and I still struggle with the external perception that we're just a bunch of bad guys," says Matt Bilbey, EVP of strategic growth at EA. "We love making and playing games. Unfortunately, when we make mistakes on games, the world knows about it because it's of a size and scale."
I don't care if you love SF 3rd Strike as much as I do AND we have the same taste in Redheaded women. We're at 14 Studios [https://www.thegamer.com/ea-game-developer-shut-down/] you bought just to close down when they did what you wanted and it didn't sell as much as you wanted.

You released nothing but Lies about Anthem [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iqzwD3hlI], gave us a half baked game, failed to meet [https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/06/02/anthems-new-roadmap-is-to-delete-its-roadmap-which-is-probably-for-the-best/#4754c6e214d8] almost every one of your own goals, and then just pleaded with people to stick with the game when nothing really was coming.

You just let go of 350 employees [https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/18283728/ea-electronic-arts-employee-layoffs-ceo-andrew-wilson-japan-russia] to 'restructure' after your 'mistakes'.

You people fuck with real people's lives to sate investors, and you don't want us to focus on it?! Screw off.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Honestly when you have entire countries outlawing your games for preying on the spending habits of the vulnerable...

When you have huge layoffs at the same time as you're celebrating revenue growth to your investors, and giving your CEO's massive bonuses that dwarf most employee's yearly salaries...

When your games are being publicly derided for being utter shells on release compared to the games of last generation and prior...

When you have people making comics about your company that are this awful:

And yet completely true.

Then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see just how wrong and messed up EA is as a company. You're sad about EA always being voted the US's worst company in existence?

Then do something about it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hawki said:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Poor soulless corporate entity.
As if their only concern isn't how it affects the perceived stock-market value.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
de-ja-vu tingles. the problem of common language, resting terms in good or bad, evil and whatnot only encourages their defensive tirade. they will never see themselves as 'bad' or 'evil' ... rarely anyone does. they see themselves as profit optimisers. amoral. so they think they're doing alright and can justify any decision through that prism. lying just smooths off some of the edges from public criticism, gives enough idiots and sycophants a little benefit of the doubt to spare so they can squeeze that extra bit of growth for the next quarter with a semblance of public defenders. they don't really care about the medium, they're paid and hired not for knowledge and passion for gaming, but for financial growth at whatever human cost. however some minimal lip service is required, most likely aimed towards the shareholders as opposed to actual consumers; gotta keep the faith. that's what these annual "hey, we are human too" seem to be. so, EA upper management, if it's any consolation, words considerably more suitable would be 'callous' 'selfish' 'driven by averice' 'dishonest' 'out of touch' 'anti-art' etc etc. there's probably more, but in the grand scope of life's bullshit, they're only approaching midway up the mountain of human fuckery, gotta save some words for the others. or invest in a theasaurus

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I have zero faith that they actually mean a damn word of this. All it sounds like is "We're helping indies, please love us guys!" No, I won't. EA keeps whining and complaining about problems they created, and apparently they "felt bad" after being awarded America's Worst Company. Yet they insist on continuing on the path they are, and even making up bullshit with "surprise mechanics" to make us believe what they're doing should be let go.

Piss off, EA. You scum suckers ruined far too much to just suddenly become the unsung hero of the industry. Close yourself down before you close down anyone else

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I feel so bad for a company buys up studios, milk them dry with shitty montinazation schemes, shut down the studios, fire the employees and lock the IPS in a vault.

Oh, wait, no I don't. I want them to fuck off and die so I can piss on their corporate grave.

EA, you want to stop being hated, stop acting so shitty. It's that fucking simple.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
I have zero faith that they actually mean a damn word of this. All it sounds like is "We're helping indies, please love us guys!"
Of course they don't mean it. If they did struggle with their bad image, they perhaps would've talked about that, but instead they commissioned a fluff piece plugging their new project and extolling their passion en enthusiasm in helping out the little guys.

Fun fact, you can't see the comment section through the link above, but there is one. It's essentially industry people defending EA and complaining about the quality of the replies to this article, how how they show "no respect for other people's views" and have "abysmal critical thinking", and such and so. That "EA is a company full of decent people who make games that millions enjoy". This includes one comment by an EA employee basically telling people to stop saying mean things cuz EA is made up of good people and the publisher of the article apologizing to him for having let people who say mean things through the system. You might wonder what he's talking about, since there aren't really any mean comments.

That's because they were removed.

Granted, many were of the "EA needs to die choking on a dick" variety, but I remember reading some with valid criticism this morning, including some quite reasonable ones calling out this article as a plug and that EA will need to do a lot more than being about half a decade late to the indie game party to win back consumer trust.

Also, I find it somewhat amusing the guy who posted this article calls himself publisher, and not editor, author or writer or something. I assume it's because he actually wrote very little of it and most of the copy came from EA's marketing department.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
While I don't think we should give individual people working for EA a pass for doing what they're doing... you know, in their defense, a lot of unethical business strategies are so normalized that no one thinks twice about implementing them. Video games as an art form especially have been perverted into something absolutely nightmarish. Look at the Jim Sterling video that's being discussed in another thread. It's an industry that has embraced gambling and the chance of getting people addicted to it. If we assume that capitalism is, fundamentally, necessary (which I don't but for argument's sake, let's pretend it is) even then we have to concede that the only way for it to not turn into something actively harmful is to strictly regulate every single aspect of it and establish strict boundaries for what a company is allowed to do with its products.