So far Doom Eternal is 2020's Game of the Year for me.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

The leap in quality from 2016 to Eternal is insane. This is like the leap from Halo 1 to Halo 2 for me.

This is also the most "Video Game-y" video game I have ever played in awhile. I mean Platforming sections has obstacles that feel straight out of Super Mario Bowser Castles levels.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I was really surprised that I ended up enjoying Doom Eternal even more than 2016. I initially thought that restricting the ammo maximums, and making us need to frequently use the chainsaw to top it up, would be frustrating... but it just wasn't. It ended up making combat even more frenetic and high-energy.

Game of the Year would go to Nioh 2 for me, though. I adore the aesthetic, adore the enemy design, adore the Scampusses, and it's one of my favourite combat systems ever.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
DOOM Eternal just didn't do it for me, the same way that 2016 did.

Whilst I liked a lot of the additions, and the game felt like a true evolution of what DOOM can be, I ultimately felt that there was just so much crap that got in the way.

Constant puzzles, constant platforming sections, constant cutscenes. Im here to slay demons, not literally jump through hoops. Not that I felt that the game's story was getting a bit to big for its boots - origins of the DOOM Slayer, ghost kings, betrayers, yadda yadda yadda - who really cares?

I just ultimately felt like DOOM 2016 was a more consistent game.

As for what my game of the year is? I dunno. I've been generally disappointed with new releases for the past few months, and even years, and nothing has really jumped out to me as the game to play. That said, the best game that I have played this year, was definitely Hades by Supergiant.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I was going to say that its a little early to decide on a GOTY, but then I have no fucking clue what other games are still coming out in this disaster of a year.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I did really like Doom Eternal but I just can't give it Game of the Year. I don't know, something about it just isn't saying 'game of the year' to me, it was a damn good game but... hmm.

I think it has to do with the gameplay vs story. The gameplay was top tier but the story was just meh at best. It was convoluted and weirdly tied in lines from the comic book and kinda fucked with things from the 2016 game.

I think to really be GoTY you need both great gameplay and at least a good story.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's my game of the year as well. Granted, I've only played 2-3 actual 2020 games.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Who else thought this was a B-Cell thread at first glance?! XD

Anyway, not sure what the intended topic of this thread is, but OK.

Not a fan of Doom Eternal and I could barely tolerate Doom 2016, they're just not my games, though Eternal was a smidge more fun.

My game of the year has yet to be decided, but it's Ghost of Tsushima so far. We'll see if CyberPunk 2077 releases as announced.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Who else thought this was a B-Cell thread at first glance?! XD

Anyway, not sure what the intended topic of this thread is, but OK.

Not a fan of Doom Eternal and I could barely tolerate Doom 2016, they're just not my games, though Eternal was a smidge more fun.

My game of the year has yet to be decided, but it's Ghost of Tsushima so far. We'll see if CyberPunk 2077 releases as announced.
Actually, now that you mention it. I haven't seen Yoshi or B-Cell in this forum for a while now.

OT: Final Fantasy 7 Remake is probably going to win my GOTY award hands down. I've played through the game 5 times and put 324 hours into it. So I don't see even Cyberpunk beating it out, however there is always the chance.

If I had to rank the 2020 games right now I'd look something like:

1. FF7R
2. Nioh 2

uh.....wait a second......that's it? Dude have I seriously only liked 2 games so far this year? Wow what the fuck?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Actually, now that you mention it. I haven't seen Yoshi or B-Cell in this forum for a while now.
Iirc, Yoshi got banned for tracking down and bothering Nick Calandra on his personal social media. No clue about B-Cell. Last activity was late june.

Whup, never mind, speak of the devil...

Last edited:

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Its definitely not only GOTY but also the best game of the gen too.

the whole combat loop with dashing, air dashing, grappling just make it non stop fun.

Reactions: MrCalavera

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Iirc, Yoshi got banned for tracking down and bothering Nick Calandra on his personal social media. No clue about B-Cell. Last activity was late june.

Whup, never mind, speak of the devil...
LMAO he has been summoned. Well alright then. That sounds like something Yoshi would've done, that dude was not on the same reality as everyone else. Oh well then, less Nintendo threads.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Don't know about Doom as I don't like FPS but it's definitely Nioh 2 for me. The game is just everything I wanted in a sequel. The first one was very front-loaded where the recycled content and excessive padding really dragged the game down. I felt like the game even ran out of budget with the environments. Nioh 2 has much more variety in enemies and stage design and the overhaul in systems also makes the game even more fun to play. The graphics and sound fx also pop out more. Even the music is much improved with having more than one track. Just an excellent game with god-tier combat that is probably in my top 5 of the gen.

Close contenders would be FF7R, P5 Royal and RE3R. Somewhat surprised about RE3R but it's short and sweet and I just love replaying it. I would also give TLoU2 special praise for being a genuinely unique experience with an animation and graphics performance I didn't know could be squeezed out of the old PS4. Somewhat mixed about Ghost of Tsushima. I enjoyed the first area but got kind of bored after the end of Act 1.

Still have the loooooong awaited Cyberpunk but I have a feeling it will be amazing. Wish it was a launch game for PS5 that would get me hype as the SF2 snes pack. xD

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Don't know about Doom as I don't like FPS but it's definitely Nioh 2 for me. The game is just everything I wanted in a sequel. The first one was very front-loaded where the recycled content and excessive padding really dragged the game down. I felt like the game even ran out of budget with the environments. Nioh 2 has much more variety in enemies and stage design and the overhaul in systems also makes the game even more fun to play. The graphics and sound fx also pop out more. Even the music is much improved with having more than one track. Just an excellent game with god-tier combat that is probably in my top 5 of the gen.

Close contenders would be FF7R, P5 Royal and RE3R. Somewhat surprised about RE3R but it's short and sweet and I just love replaying it. I would also give TLoU2 special praise for being a genuinely unique experience with an animation and graphics performance I didn't know could be squeezed out of the old PS4. Somewhat mixed about Ghost of Tsushima. I enjoyed the first area but got kind of bored after the end of Act 1.

Still have the loooooong awaited Cyberpunk but I have a feeling it will be amazing. Wish it was a launch game for PS5 that would get me hype as the SF2 snes pack. xD

I thought about counting Persona 5 royal in my list of top games, but I have to exclude it because it isn't different enough from the original release imo to qualify it as a "new" game for the year. So that's why I left it off my possibilities.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Iirc, Yoshi got banned for tracking down and bothering Nick Calandra on his personal social media.
This makes so much sense to me. That guy gave me shit when I asked about N64 emulation after my house burned down and I lost my N64 and all the carts. I remember him making fun of someone else's handicap that prevented them from using controllers for too long. Good riddance (Okay, gossiping over).

Honestly, I agree with the OP (if you couldn't tell by the Avatar). It took me a few hours of really struggling with Eternal and not enjoying it to finally get in the groove and figure out how all the systems are intended to work together. After everything slotted into place it was a complete blast. It's rare nowadays that a find a game that I feel almost compelled to keep playing and Eternal is one of them. I gotta revisit it and try out those master levels.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, he was the only guy really into Nintendo so now I lost a guy to talk about Nintendo things here with enthusiasm.
I like most things Nintendo. I don't have problems talking about them, but don't expect me to go in acting like a blind fanboy. I don't buy that many first party Nintendo games anymore, but I still look for any third-party exclusives that you're interested in for the switch. Hell, the conversation does not always have to be about the switch. There are plenty of other Nintendo things to talk about.

Edit: But if you really care about him that much, he still has a user name at the easy allies forum. It's the same as it was on this site here. There really isn't any other place for him to go. Cuz if he screws up there, he is shit out of luck. A majority the users don't like him there either.

Last edited: