So far Doom Eternal is 2020's Game of the Year for me.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And nothing of value was lost.
Yeah, dude could be ... abrasive. Still, might sound weird, but I feel like a gaming forum is not really complete without a resident NIntendo fanboy. Speaking of, don't know if you've been around long enough, but I remember j.e.f.f.e.r.s from the olden days. Now HE was a fanboy.
Well, he was the only guy really into Nintendo so now I lost a guy to talk about Nintendo things here with enthusiasm.
I think there's others here who like Nintendo (myself included). Tho I'm guessing with more of a quiet enjoyment than loud zeal.

Speaking of, Pikmin 3 is getting ported to Switch. Seem to recall someone wanting that, tho not sure if it was you.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Yeah, dude could be ... abrasive. Still, might sound weird, but I feel like a gaming forum is not really complete without a resident NIntendo fanboy. Speaking of, don't know if you've been around long enough, but I remember j.e.f.f.e.r.s from the olden days. Now HE was a fanboy.
I think there's others here who like Nintendo (myself included). Tho I'm guessing with more of a quiet enjoyment than loud zeal.

Speaking of, Pikmin 3 is getting ported to Switch. Seem to recall someone wanting that, tho not sure if it was you.
It wasn't me, but I kinda knew that it was only a matter of time until all the major games released on the Wii U gets ported to the Switch.

Next one that's most likely is Super Mario 3D World.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It wasn't me, but I kinda knew that it was only a matter of time until all the major games released on the Wii U gets ported to the Switch.

Next one that's most likely is Super Mario 3D World.
Yup, seems the most likely candidate. Maybe they're keeping that for times when the release schedule is a little slim. Besides that, all that's left of the exclusives is Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade X, Paper Mario Color Splash & Fatal Frame. That order would be my guess for their chances of a port.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Yup, seems the most likely candidate. Maybe they're keeping that for times when the release schedule is a little slim. Besides that, all that's left of the exclusives is Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade X, Paper Mario Color Splash & Fatal Frame. That order would be my guess for their chances of a port.
Isn't Star Fox Zero too attached to the Wii-U controller to work with a normal one? Same with the Wii U Fatal Frame?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't Star Fox Zero too attached to the Wii-U controller to work with a normal one? Same with the Wii U Fatal Frame?
Star Fox 0 could work on the Switch and you can remove all the gimmicky bullshit, but Nintendo just doesn't want to. Too much pride.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Star Fox zero could work on a switch and you can rremove all the gimmick bulshit, Nintendo just doesn't want to. Too much pride.
That's an angle I hadn't considered before, but yeah, you might have a point.

But don't really rate the odds of a port as guaranteed for any of the four I mentioned. There's already two Xenoblades on Switch, Color Splash wasn't received that well and again Switch just got a Paper Mario, and Fatal Frame is, well, pretty obscure and flopped hard at the register. Then again, other games with poor sales did get a port. Who knows.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just bought Doom Eternal from the Steam Quake-Con sale.

Will let you know if it lives up to the hype. Some of the stuff I've heard about all the platforming and ammo scarcity makes me a bit worried because because platforming was the worst part of Doom 2016, and I just get annoyed by ammo scarcity in general.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Some of the stuff I've heard about all the platforming and ammo scarcity makes me a bit worried because because platforming was the worst part of Doom 2016, and I just get annoyed by ammo scarcity in general.
Heh heh...heh heh...

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
2020 game wise I've played Doom Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R and Last of Us 2. And even that last one was on a buddys console out of morbid curiosity more then anything.

Thats probably the order I'd put them in too. None of them are really buzzing that urge to go play them over or anything though.

Theres nothing really in the pipe coming up I can think of offhand either, some games have major updates imminent (warframe), but actual new ones not so much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DOOM Eternal just didn't do it for me, the same way that 2016 did.

Whilst I liked a lot of the additions, and the game felt like a true evolution of what DOOM can be, I ultimately felt that there was just so much crap that got in the way.

Constant puzzles, constant platforming sections, constant cutscenes. Im here to slay demons, not literally jump through hoops. Not that I felt that the game's story was getting a bit to big for its boots - origins of the DOOM Slayer, ghost kings, betrayers, yadda yadda yadda - who really cares?

I just ultimately felt like DOOM 2016 was a more consistent game.

As for what my game of the year is? I dunno. I've been generally disappointed with new releases for the past few months, and even years, and nothing has really jumped out to me as the game to play. That said, the best game that I have played this year, was definitely Hades by Supergiant.
I stopped playing Eternal due to all of the repetitive unnecessary platforming. I remember GGmanlives said in his Serious Sam: The Next Encounter that Serious Sam 4 should take ideas from Doom Eternal otherwise that game would get repetitive. Ironic, because I found Eternal way more repetitive than most of the SS games. Honestly, I highly doubt Croteam would take that much influence, nor would I or most SS fans want to. There is nothing wrong with having a shooter where you in a locked room/outdoor arena laying wastes to thousands of monsters and aliens. Yes, we get it, SS3: BFE sucked. Granted it's love it or hate it territory. If every game became like Doom Eternal, than nothing stands out, and we'll be right back where started when every idiot was trying to copy COD4. Though not as bad as it was in the 7th generation.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, he was the only guy really into Nintendo so now I lost a guy to talk about Nintendo things here with enthusiasm.
I'm into classic nintendo stuff, but I haven't kept up with the switch.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Downloaded and started playing Doom Eternal.

First impression:

What the fuck did they do with the UI and menus? They all look like placeholders from an alpha that they were then just too lazy to change.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Absolutely agree. This is a game trying to be a GAME, not a movie or anything else. Its got big gamey things like coloured keys and big noticable pickups, flashing prompts and the movement is amazing. I love it.

The enemies are great too, they act differently, they require different tactics and despite charging you most of the time they do try to flank and get behind you. In a world where it feels like most games feature enemies that you fight exactly the same way and have basically no effort its so refreshing. Remember Halo how different enemies did different things and required different tactics? These days all enemies in a game seem to be exactly the same.

The game gives you so many different moves and abilities and yet they all have their use and you NEED to use them all to be the best, unlike many games with many options that are ignorable because you only need certain powerful things like how in Doom 2016 you could solve most problems with just the super shotgun.

The platforming does slow things down but I argue its also good training for you to understand your movement abilities in combat so you can make your jumps. Urdak does need to calm down with its 'you can barely make it if you optimise your jumps' platforming sections though.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I haven't really had the time to play many new games this year.

Up until a month ago I didn't have a PC that could run Eternal and now my backlog is too big for me to buy new things right now.

I still haven't finished Xenoblade Chronicles DE(which I adore but have trouble with the learning curve) and I've been slowly chipping away at Hellblade on PC.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wish we could sort our steam library by release year, I don't know which game I played that actually release this year (played so much this year since I just graduated, what a rotten timing). I guess trial of mana would be mine, but it's hard to say if it's really good cause the nostalgia aspect is strong with that one. If I try to be objective I'd say that the game was way too easy which made the gameplay feel a bit pointless but I still really liked it. Doom eternal is install, I just have to actually play it but I don't foresee myself liking it as much since apparently there's way more cutscene and I feel like cutting out the fat was one of the best thing 2016 did.

Reactions: Zeraki