So has any game made you feel "wow this is next gen stuff right here"

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
We're still in the time in the console cycle where most of the new games get released on both platforms and the next gen version is just a port with slightly more polished graphics. I haven't played anything that gave that "wow this is definitely next gen" feeling yet, have any of you?

I remember playing Resistance (PS3 launch title) and just being amazed at how I could brake windows. I could do a melee attack and chunks would fly off or I could shoot it and it'd get holes and eventually shatter and it would brake and crack and come off in chunks depending on where I hit it and the chunks weren't always the same shape or size. That may not sound like a lot but if the windows ever had breakable glass in a PS2 game then it would only be able to have bullet holes, shatter around a bullet point or brake in exactly one way if you melee'd it. These were so much more realistic and these windows were just there on random buildings you weren't supposed to pay attention to, they weren't showing them off or anything. The graphics were a big step up but I was mesmerized by the glass for a while.

Another less subtle example was when I was playing Bioshock for the first time my jaw dropped because the graphics in the plane crash and in Rapture were amazing compared to what I've seen before.

So yeah haven't gotten that wow moment out of the PS4 yet but I only own a handful of games for it. I suppose Resogun was impressive with the amount of stuff blowing up and filling the screen at the end of the level, but that's it.

wasabinewt

May 5, 2014
This might be down to the fact that I haven't played a lot of AAA games on the highest specs (due my computer). But when I played The Last of Us Remastered for the PS4, I was so astounded by the graphics I felt like my jaw was dropping.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
Yeah, I haven't seen anything that blew me out of the water yet. Evil Within looked good, but was just uninspired. It's a shame when a game has good graphics but doesn't have a good enough art design to justify it.

Advanced Warfare plays a little bit like an Unreal game, which oddly enough, feels kind of next gen. The game looks pretty good to, but not as good as something like Crysis 3.

crypticracer

Sep 1, 2014
No. Mario 64 made me feel next gen. Hell, it made me feel... super(?) next gen. Resident Evil on the original Playstation? Yup. Jak and Daxter on ps2? Yup. Assassin's Creed on 360? Yup.

I don't own an XboxOne, but on the PS4, nope.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The first Assassin's Creed.

I know the series has become synonymous with annual releases, but when it first came out it was pretty damned incredible; A game where you could just climb fucking everywhere. No context prompts or anything, if it protruded you could hang on to it. That obviously didn't stop it from being frustrating as hell a lot of the time, but this was really something we hadn't seen before.

Silent Hill 2

Just that lighting... Man.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Playing God of War 3 for the first time. The opening battle against Poseidon was literally jaw dropping.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Playing God of War 3 for the first time. The opening battle against Poseidon was literally jaw dropping.
It became annoying to get past though each subsequent playthrough, especially the part where you're fighting Poseidon himself. Still, that cutscene where Gaia punches Poseidon's water form, and Kratos leaps off her fist and snatches him out of there is so fucking badass, it's kind of worth it.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
you haven't specified "this gen" for "next gen"
i still remember fighting bowser in super mario bros and thinking how amazing the 3d was

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
PT.

Seriously, that felt like the next step in horror games.

I am so excited for Silent Hills.

MGS: Ground Zeroes is another game that just felt amazing. It felt like the next step up in MGS.

Basically, Kojima makes good shit, is what I'm saying.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Dark Souls because of the online/singleplayer mix thingy that now is so popular, never seen that sort of stuff before the 7th gen and it really was something used for gameplay reasons that would only work well from that gen forward.

Kameo also had that next gen thing with the hundreds of enemies on sreen (ignore the text, couldnt find a better pic).

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
No, because I feel like devs, journalists and a lot of players view "next gen" as "shinier graphics". But I want "next gen" to mean smarter AI, better level design, more quest completion options, etc, I could go on for a while listing all the different elements that make a good game, but you know what I mean.

I haven't seen any of that stuff yet. Which is not to say all the games I've played recently have been bad. I just haven't seen any improvements from "last gen".

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Half-Life 2 definitely. There is no other game that pioneered so many new things and was such a monumental leap from its predecessors.

Though that's not really "next gen", more like "a new step on the ladder of progress". Since the PS2 no console has really had much of a leap. Even today's PC games are restricted by the capabilities of consoles. When you spend so much money developing an absolute monster of a game, you need the customers to have the hardware to play it. Crysis was able to do it but I'm not sure that the next "Crysis" would be able to as a budget that large would need revenue coming in from the console market as well.

I'm not sure we'll have the next "next gen" leap, not until some radical new technology or software gets developed that completely deconstructs our current perceptions of game design.

TheWorstMuppetEver

Jun 5, 2014
LittleBigPlanet is definitely the game that made me buy a PS3. I'd played the demo at a festival a few months before the games release, and I fell in love instantly. All the customization on offer, the level design and sackboy himself really took a hold of me and never let go...

Uncharted 3, the game seemed solid but hadn't quite impressed me in the same way 2 had. Then the desert chapter started, and my mouth dropped! I couldn't believe the possibility that I might have to travel across the whole of Rub 'al Khali! Obviously, that didn't quite happen but I still remember that feeling that games were going in a different direction...

Also, Nintendo's E3 2004 Twilight Princess trailer was amazing to behold! It made me think the Gamecube had a long and bright future ahead of it...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Half life 2. When you haad the bit being carried through the combine base, and shortly afterwards the scene with Breen, Alyx, Eli and Judith. Watching Breens expression up close change from cheery and smug to angry and frustrated smoothly without any real model switching really got my attention,

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
As part of the glorious PC master race[small][sup]TM[/sup][/small] nothing from the current gen consoles has wowed me. Mostly because most of it has been upscales of old games,, that still look better on my now rather old GTX 670.

In the past though? Assassins Creed and DMC4 looked fucking lush last gen. Before that Ratchet & Clank on the PS2 was impressive.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
Personally I'm thinking for this Gen... Smash bros. WiiU eight players... one console. never been done. no sir!

it makes me so happy that I can have more than three friends now!

though my original wow moments I remember... first. Super Mario 64 Mario in 3D!? WHAT! (I was very young). then a few years later with Halo: Combat evolved for the Xbox. (though buying the Anniversary edition destroyed my nostalgia for the game)

Elder scrolls: Obivion for the 360, walking out of that sewer and being greeted with a world so seamless I was left speachless. then the mid point of the PS3/360 cycle. Bethesda blew my mind again with Skyrim wandering around in constant fear of a dragon dropping in at the wrong time (it was always the wrong time).

I'm dissapointed with the Xbox one and PS4 though, this gen is really slow off the mark. which is fantastic for nintendo! starting early as they did. XD