So has any game made you feel "wow this is next gen stuff right here"

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
These days, my jaw only really drops if the game is actually good. Graphics are great too, but I'm just as impressed when a new mechanic is pulled off correctly, and I start picturing what it might mean for the rest of the game. I'm playing Legend of Grimrock II right now, and the ladders and water systems have made things quite interesting.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Right now, not really. Most of the games on these supposedly new gen systems are the same stuff we've been playing for the past decade. GFX-wise I'm not really impressed. The PS4 and Xbone seem more like refreshes of the last gen stuff.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
This generation? No. But last generation Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Oblivion really made me go "woah" after I got a PS3. Until then I had never played anything like them.

Dec 16, 2009
Nothing, but I'm a PC/Wii U gamer. what defines next gen? if its shiny graphics, then PC's been doing it longer, and Nintendo is doing it withh more colours.

I'd say playing Styx was a big moment for me, old school stealth where you really couldn't risk being caught; in a world where AAA takes no risk and tries to appeal to the many, and indie is the only one deviating from mainstream formula, nice to see a mid range budget cater to a niche market. it made me happy i parted with my money

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Call of Duty: Ghosts' fish AI. Groundbreaking stuff.

OT: When I first played Oblivion, it was the biggest game that I had ever played. It amazed me that a game could be so big and so beautiful. I think it might have even been the first open-world game that I had ever played.

Assassin's Creed 4. Sure, the only distinguishing thing that the game had going for it when compared to the other games was a more fleshed out naval combat system, but damn, those water effects bro. I could look at that all day. This generation of games is, and always will be, the generation of pretty water effects.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Last time I felt like that was God knows how long ago when I played Mario 64 and TLoZ:OoT because of how different it was from any previous game I played.
And that's when it stopped. Aside from better graphics "next-gen" didn't bring anything made me feel like it wasn't possible on the console before. It were just minor improvements rather than a huge drastic jump.
Mario's 3D movement and platforming where a huge WOW inducing experience. Same for OoT.

Thought I did feel something like "SO THIS IS THE THING REGGIE WAS TALKING ABOUT!" when I played Red Steel 2.Thought I didn't feel like "next-gen" just a "Damn the Wii is awesome". Similar feeling. Not sure if it counts.
Damn I want RS3 now. Why is Ubishit shit?

Grant Stackhouse

Dec 31, 2011
For me, it was the Sonic Adventure demo that came packed with my dreamcast, back around the year 2000. I was moving up from an N64 and my mind was blown by the amazing colors and textures. What really struck me, however, was just how perfectly round the rings were. It may sound odd, but after 4 years of only playing with N64 graphics, seeing a 3D object with genuinely round edges just blew my mind.

AfroBattler

Nov 8, 2014
I usually not really wowed by high definition graphics. Whenever I do have that wow moment it's usually for a more cartoony games that looks really good for that system. For N64 it was Banjo-Tooie which I played to death until the dreamcast came about and showed me Sonic Adventure which blew my mind like with Stackhouse. After that it was the gamecube's Mario Sunshine whose water looked amazing everywhere. Then it was the Xbox 360's Sonic Unleashed and it's hedgehog lighting engine that made the game look gorgeous. For this gen the only game that game me that feeling is Smash U cause everything else looks samey in terms of graphical style if you know what I mean.

bumbledog

Jan 19, 2014
WhiteNachos said:
bumbledog said:
For graphics: Probably laughable these days but I remember me and my mates being blown away by the first Gears of War on Xbox 360, thinking "wow those graphics". There was an awful lot of detail on the character models.

Without being a snob about "next gen" console, there's nothing yet that I haven't seen on my (similarly priced) PC. More recently I tried Trinus Gyre with Google Carboard and played Skyrim in VR- which was, literally, an eyeball-melting 10 minutes. Having depth perception in a game is something that a verbal explanation simply cant do justice.

For innovation:
Seeing enemy gunfire peck chunks of brick out of the wall next to me and spotting smoking gun barrels on FEAR was awesome. The AI on FEAR still makes me sweat.
Any other games you tried with VR? I'd imagine Fallout and Bioshock would work well with those.
I bet they'd be awesome. I've tried Opposing Force and FEAR using the makeshift cardboard-Trinus frankenmess and that was really cool too, again for having depth perception. Alas VR isnt really practical on a Galaxy S3 and I value my retina's so I'll wait for something affordable with better pixel density to come out. -or a proper VR set