So, hipsters.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Oh yeah, I know some hipsters. Got one about ten feet away from me right now. My sister us one and is in the next room. Wow, I can't stand some of her music( not all of it, but some of it has a reason it isn't mainstream).

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
Daniel Forman said:
Im a hipster, hell i wouldn't have responded to this thread if it didn't have so little replies, so its still not mainstream :D
By calling yourself a "hipster" dont you automatically become not a a hipster?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
The stereotypical hipster is a myth. There's no subculture of people who are arrogant, pretentious douchebags. The term is used broadly and pointlessly to describe anyone whose views differ from that of the user, and has the nerve to defend their views. It's entirely subjective, in no small part due to the fact that "mainstream" is also subjective.

The problem is that large swaths of perfectly good culture and ideas have become somehow associated with being a hipster, which is always seen as a bad thing. Not everyone who could be described as such is arrogant and pretentious, of course--whatever group you associate yourself with does not define your personality.

So we have normal people who simply have different tastes from whatever the established mainstream currently is (which changes just as much as the current trends) labeled as douchebags by virtue of not liking the same things as some other people, who may not even be the majority.

Now I may be a little biased because I live in Portland, which the rest of the world seems to believe is 95% hipsters. I'm okay with that, because what I see is 95% normal people with a variety of tastes and ideals. Some of you would probably consider me a hipster. Oh well. I don't lord it over people, and neither does the majority of the "hipster" population.

It's a surprisingly meaningless term, when you actually stop to think about it.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Im guessing real hipsters don't say they are, they just are.

the people that say they are aren't really, just posers.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Cheery Lunatic said:
Waaaat, no way.

I see them EVERYWHERE. It's frustrating as HELL.
You don't happen to live in Seattle or Portland do you?

I live really close to Portland so I see them everywhere. I like some of the same music that tends to attract them, so going to concerts can be irritating. Its also cause me to develop a distrust of people who wear thick plastic framed glasses.

headbanger97

Mar 3, 2010
Here in Salt Lake City, there are actually official competitions for who can be named the king of the hipsters. I wish i was joking..... Its done by a bike race, and the winner has to carry around a side bag that says "Look at that fucking hipster" for 3 months untill a new race is formed, i've seen them, in all their glory.... and it scares me.......

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
A hipster is basically like a specific type of self-righteous asshole. We don't like them cause they think their better than us even though their worse.

azraelthor

May 6, 2011
Saelune said:
Hipsters are real...I am one. I did not want to or try to...but I am. I try not to be...but people are stupid, and most things popular are crap...or atleast not as good. Regardless if you agree with me or not though, do know I genuinly feel this way. But it sometimes goes against hipster stuff. I actually like MW2.
It's not that you don't like mainstream, it's why. If you don't like main stream because you just don't no biggie, now if you don't like mainstream because it is popular (and I'm not talking about getting annoyed and liking it less because something you legitmitly dislike is popular and you can't understand why others like it) and are proud of the fact that you dislike mainstream, like it makes you better then everyone else who also have their own valid opinions, then you become the hipster

azraelthor

May 6, 2011
Yokai said:
The stereotypical hipster is a myth. There's no subculture of people who are arrogant, pretentious douchebags. The term is used broadly and pointlessly to describe anyone whose views differ from that of the user, and has the nerve to defend their views. It's entirely subjective, in no small part due to the fact that "mainstream" is also subjective.

The problem is that large swaths of perfectly good culture and ideas have become somehow associated with being a hipster, which is always seen as a bad thing. Not everyone who could be described as such is arrogant and pretentious, of course--whatever group you associate yourself with does not define your personality.

So we have normal people who simply have different tastes from whatever the established mainstream currently is (which changes just as much as the current trends) labeled as douchebags by virtue of not liking the same things as some other people, who may not even be the majority.

Now I may be a little biased because I live in Portland, which the rest of the world seems to believe is 95% hipsters. I'm okay with that, because what I see is 95% normal people with a variety of tastes and ideals. Some of you would probably consider me a hipster. Oh well. I don't lord it over people, and neither does the majority of the "hipster" population.

It's a surprisingly meaningless term, when you actually stop to think about it.
Really? I live like 20 mins from Portland and have never even heard of it being extremely hipster...or do you mean that fake Portland on the west coast? And main steam is actually rather easy to define, I will give you some examples, Anythign made be EA or Activision, Anything you can find on best-selling book lists, blockbuster movies, mainstream=popular and popular sells, alot, so therefore mainstream sells, alot. Hipsters dislike mainsteam because it is mainstream, not because they actually dislike it all, and they live obscure/indie because it is obscure/indie, and they pride themselves as being better then everyone who does like mainstream things

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Where I went to college, the hipster was not so elusive. In the art's block, it was the freaking norm. A sea of them. The whole shebang: foppy haircut, buddy holiday glasses, skinny jeans and a scarf or waistcoat or some such. Everywhere.

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
PixelKing said:
Just because some people like certain things, society labels them a hipster.
Its like how I'm a fat greasy nerd for simply playing video games.
Do you mean like since I am one of only two people that wears a brand that I could be called a hipster even though I am not?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You are a hipster and so is everyone else on this website. We're the cool kids who talk about games and grad notions of art and scoff at lowly causal and games and brown games and FPS clones, and other generic hipster comments and pretentiousness. I don't think its about any particular item o much as the hip nature and pretensions. This site has them.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
You know the guy who wear Kanye West looking sunglasses, a trilby, a sports coat, skinny jeans, a black and red plaid scarf, converse and an obscure band (one that you also haven't heard of because it's "not mainstream"(I'm tired of hipsters telling me Asking Alexandria is undeground...NOT IT'S NOT!)) t-shirts? That's a hipster and so is anyone who looks like them.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
azraelthor said:
Really? I live like 20 mins from Portland and have never even heard of it being extremely hipster...or do you mean that fake Portland on the west coast? And main steam is actually rather easy to define, I will give you some examples, Anythign made be EA or Activision, Anything you can find on best-selling book lists, blockbuster movies, mainstream=popular and popular sells, alot, so therefore mainstream sells, alot. Hipsters dislike mainsteam because it is mainstream, not because they actually dislike it all, and they live obscure/indie because it is obscure/indie, and they pride themselves as being better then everyone who does like mainstream things
Di... did you just call my Portland fake?

Other than that, you have it pretty spot on.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Only heard the term a few days ago and frankly I couldnt give shit what somebody wears or does.... I mean why would you o_O

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
This is now the official soundtrack to this topic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA&feature=player_embedded

OT: well... I see them all the time at the malls.

SmartyShorts

Aug 6, 2011
Azure-Supernova said:

Really? Don't see any of these things walking around? Usually self proclaimed visionaries or alternate. I see them everywhere, usually around universities and colleges.
That picture isn't obscure enough for me.

But in all seriousness, as I writer I have to deal with a lot of those people.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Matthew Kjonaas said:
PixelKing said:
Just because some people like certain things, society labels them a hipster.
Its like how I'm a fat greasy nerd for simply playing video games.
Do you mean like since I am one of only two people that wears a brand that I could be called a hipster even though I am not?
Quite possibly, I'd just ignore it. You are what you are, you wear what you wear.

Ratlover

Jul 17, 2011
Do a hipster check list shall we. Now if any of these things apply to you, well you might be hipster.

1. Do you self roll your own cigs.

2. Do you drink Pabst Blue Ribbon

3. Do you wear converse sneakers

4. Do you hang out in coffee shops for no reason

5. Do you shop at vintage clothing shops

6. Are you an annoying little piss ant who will change your trend when it starts becoming popular.