So how long do you play a game , before you decide you don't like it?

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
About an hour. It's too bad ya can't trade in games with steam cos I've got way too many that I'm not gonna bother with.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, it depends.
Even if I don't like the game that much, I might still continue playing it if I think there's a chance it will get better. If it's an RPG, for example, even if the beginning is bad, it might get better once the world opens up, you get into the story, and meet other characters. Not that it's an excuse. If the game doesn't make itself interesting from the beginning, you are well within your rights to stop being interested.

Also if it becomes clear I'm so not the target audience.
I have tried some of the FIFA games, thinking I should give them a chance, maybe they could be enjoyable for someone who doesn't care about football. Nope.

Also I stopped Playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 when the game made no attempt to explain itself to me.
I'm a casual player of fighting games. The only 'real' (not counting Super Smash series) fighting game I ever really got into was Soul Calibur 2, and the reason I got into it and became good eventually was because I actually understood what I was doing. I'm pretty sure the practise mode had an option to show you what buttons you had pressed.

In MvsC3 I took a look at the move list and it had stuff like ^^A, and I went 'WTF does that mean?'. Does the game want me to wiggle the control stick fast up to times and then press A? Or do the wiggle at the same time? Or does two arrows up mean something completely different?
I don't know. And it's not like the game told me what I had actually done, so I'd know why I failed.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Depends on the game - usually a few hours (STALKER, Mount and Blade Warband) is enough to tell me that a game's not one that's going to appeal to me. Sometimes longer though - I gave The Witcher at least 30 hours before giving up on it. I probably gave the first Bioshock about 10 hours, and I gave the first Assassin's Creed about the same before shelving it for a year (eventually came back, ground through to the finish, then ended up loving the sequel).

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
depends on the genre. i'll give rpgs more leeway than say, shooters, because they tend to be more complex. a few hours is usually enough.

Mar 30, 2010
Depends why I don't like it. If I don't like it for writing reasons (story, pacing etc) I tend to push through the length of the single player campaign in the hope that things will pick up. If I don't like it for mechanical reasons (clunky gameplay, poor interface etc) then I'll make up my mind pretty quickly (1 to 2 hours of gameplay) as these core issues are highly unlikely to resolve themselves mid-game.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
For me, it's all about grabbing me early on. If you can grab my interest with your title screen, such as Bioshock Infinite so expertly did, then you'll have to work pretty hard to make me stop playing.

After that, as long as I'm entertained in some capacity - Two Worlds, for example, is amazing to play with a six pack and the right attitude - I'll ride it out to the end. Quake 4, for example, didn't really wow me from start to finish, but it was a damn fine shooter so I stuck it out.

In terms of my overall opinion, I'll wait it out to the credits if I started the game. The only game I've ever played and just completely gave up on was SPORE. It's the worst game of all time. No questions. So much amazing potential, and yet it doesn't have any fucking gameplay.

Apr 5, 2008
No more than a handful of hours. I'm willing to forgive a shaky start as games wrestle with trying to establish a story, setting, gameplay mechanics and so on. Once in the game proper, if it still sucks it gets uninstalled.

Kingdoms of Amalur lasted about 5-6 hours before I had to take it off my system.
Mirror's Edge lasted about 4 hours before getting returned to the shop for being so awful. The only game I've ever asked for a refund for on the grounds of being so shit.

Generally if I cannot mod/tolerate the FoV, invert mouse Y axis and remap keys at the very least, I may not even bother trying to get past the tutorial. I have better things to do than waste my time trying to play poorly developed, clunky, unintuitive games.

Anyone who says "But oh the game gets so good later on...", I don't care. If you have to slog through hours of shit game to get a tiny amount of something better, it's a shit game I'm not interested in playing.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
It depends on a few things:

1) My level of tiredness at the time

2) My willingness to give the game the benefit of the doubt

3) How obviously bad the game is

Two ends of the spectrum, I probably put 20 hours into FF XIII before I gave up and stopped. Which, I hear, is a shame because I was about to get to the good bit. Finally.

And on the other end is Star Trek Online. Probably got twenty minutes in before getting hopelessly confused and un-installing the game.

Oh, I should add another criterion: How much I paid for the game. Bought FF XIII at launch for ~100 NZD. Wanted to try and get at least something out of it. Star Trek Online was free.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
There are very few games which I have played that I would consider bad.

The only one that I actually quit playing was Duke Nukem Forever. Got to the 3rd level, I think. The one after the strip club scene, maybe. My memory seems to have blanked most of that experience.

Fallout 3 on my PC was the buggiest, most crash-inducing game I have ever played. It would crash consistently every 30-40 minutes. I still played all the way through, DLC and all.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
bout 5 minutes really.

I start it up, game begins. If it has a tutorial i will usually sit through that first (unless it is optional, then ill go to the game directly)

If my first feeling is, wow this is boring. within 5 minutes or so its gone from my pc. Usually for good.

Last one i did that for was Resident Evil 6. Man that was a quick delete.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
It's hard to say. Probably around a half an hour, but it's hard for me to think of games I've genuinely disliked that I've actively gotten. I played the 360 (non xbla) Bionic Commando for like 30 minutes before moving on to somethin else more exciting for me.

Exius Xavarus said:
[sub][sub]I loved Lord of the Rings: War in the North.[/sub][/sub]
You and me both. Well, however much I played with my friend.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
6 hours into LA Noire
7 Hours into Alpha protocol
9 hours into Far cry 3
45 mins into every Assassins Creed game
6 hours into Hitman Absolution
2 hours into BF3 campaign

It's not really hate. It's becoming aware of the limitations of the game mechanics in place, realising the game has nothing else to offer and/or the story cannot make up for the gameplay

1 hour into dragon age origins
2 hours in Witcher 1

I don't care how good the story was. That combat was just not for me

140 hours into SKyrim...after I got dual enchanting I realised i was just addicted to leveling up and loot. But 140 hours is 140 hours

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
There are usually two points at which I break off. First point is the 15-30 minute mark if I just really, really can't get into it - like if I just can't stand the mechanics, the design or the art style or something, or if it's simply not at all engaging. Then there are the games I quit after around 2-5 hours because, though I might have liked them, they just aren't engaging enough (or something better came along).

Probably the last game I quit out of dislike was Pid. I really wanted to like it, but the more I played the more tedious it got, until I finally reached that absurd level where you need to move a little globe of light around with the beams through several huge mazes. I just gave up, it was too much time and not enough enjoyment.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Lieju said:
Well, it depends.
Even if I don't like the game that much, I might still continue playing it if I think there's a chance it will get better. If it's an RPG, for example, even if the beginning is bad, it might get better once the world opens up, you get into the story, and meet other characters. Not that it's an excuse. If the game doesn't make itself interesting from the beginning, you are well within your rights to stop being interested.

Also if it becomes clear I'm so not the target audience.
I have tried some of the FIFA games, thinking I should give them a chance, maybe they could be enjoyable for someone who doesn't care about football. Nope.

Also I stopped Playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 when the game made no attempt to explain itself to me.
I'm a casual player of fighting games. The only 'real' (not counting Super Smash series) fighting game I ever really got into was Soul Calibur 2, and the reason I got into it and became good eventually was because I actually understood what I was doing. I'm pretty sure the practise mode had an option to show you what buttons you had pressed.

In MvsC3 I took a look at the move list and it had stuff like ^^A, and I went 'WTF does that mean?'. Does the game want me to wiggle the control stick fast up to times and then press A? Or do the wiggle at the same time? Or does two arrows up mean something completely different?
I don't know. And it's not like the game told me what I had actually done, so I'd know why I failed.
That is the first time i have heard that perticular complaint about MVC3/UMVC3 . That is the first fighting game iv'e played in almost a decade ( i now play it semi competitively) and never noticed anything strange about the move list . The trials however were terrible because there was no demonstration . But i learned quickly that past trial 7 the combos were very unpractical . Still the game i have the most hours on this gen .

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I guess I'd give it two hours of annoyance before I begin to decide if I don't like it. By the time my desire to continue is only based on:

"Maybe it'll get better."
or
"Ugh, let's get this over with."

Then the game can either, bad, ok, or ok/bad with some good features.

Or the game can be decent and have shit replay value that is actually detrimental to the experience (Assassin's Creed)

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
For me, there really isn't a set amount of time. It's just something I eventually realize. I don't like to leave things unfinished, so if I find myself getting impatient and wondering "When the hell is this going to end?", that's when I know I don't like it. If I like it, that's what gets me to keep playing. There are very few occasions where I'll dislike a game so much, I don't even want to finish it. Wet, X-Men: Destiny, and Walking Dead: Survival Instinct are the titles I can think of where I got to that point.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
krazykidd said:
Lieju said:
That is the first time i have heard that perticular complaint about MVC3/UMVC3 . That is the first fighting game iv'e played in almost a decade ( i now play it semi competitively) and never noticed anything strange about the move list . The trials however were terrible because there was no demonstration . But i learned quickly that past trial 7 the combos were very unpractical . Still the game i have the most hours on this gen .
Well, maybe you're familiar with that, then. Or are more adept at wiggling sticks.
I didn't even know what a 'cancel' is, and it wanted me to do that. I can guess from the context, but would be nice if the game told me. This is a game people who don't play fighting games will want to try, because of the characters, and the game had the 'easy' control scheme, so there was some effort in making it accessible, but not enough.

I know I never managed to pull off any even slightly complex moves in the training mode.
It's clearly not a game for me, which is a shame, because I'm a fan of most of those characters.

Soul Calibur 2, on the other hand? It explained stuff to me, and I don't think it took anything away from the hard-core fighting-game fans who know this stuff already.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Pretty simple really, if I don't return to it after the first sitting then chances are I'll never bother playing it again.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Anything between 5 minutes to a few hours. The last one i jacked in was Sword of the Stars complete found out the tutorial is just a bunch of videos and that pissed me right off. The game may be brilliant but if you can't be arsed to give me a proper tutorial then I'm out