So, how's everyone enjoying Battlefield 4?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Battlefield 4 has been out for a few weeks now and I haven't really seen anybody talk about it. Do you guys like it? Do you hate it? Is it just okay?

I enjoy it, it's quite fun. Sometimes it can be a buggy mess though. I hate how it's hard to play with your friends and you can't group together before actually finding a game, that I really hate.

What are your thoughts?

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I don't like it. The series took a nosedive in quality with the release of Battlefield 3. My biggest problems with it are the floaty and inaccurate weapons, and the lighting and effects make it very difficult to see enemies. Also the map design is poor in comparison to the Bad Company games.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
i'd like it a lot better if it would stop crashing all the time....

but yea other than that i like it. (though getting killed by invisible people only to have them be bright orange and taunting me in the killcam gets old real qick)

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
It's a stuttery mess on everything but TDM, so i haven't been playing it.

When i endured the stutter, i honestly didn't like it all that much. The gunplay is just too fast imo. You go down in a couple shots. For a game with all manner of vehicles and equipment, infantry should not be so squishy.

BC2 had it right. Much longer lifespan and the ability to retaliate after being shot at; as opposed whoever sees first kills first in BF4.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Usually crashes after first load, but runs fairly well afterwards. It's alright, but I can't play it for more than an hour or two at once.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
I don't like it. The series took a nosedive in quality with the release of Battlefield 3. My biggest problems with it are the floaty and inaccurate weapons, and the lighting and effects make it very difficult to see enemies. Also the map design is poor in comparison to the Bad Company games.
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.

The floaty weapons are a pain in the arse, it makes it an ardour just to shoot dudes, everything also recoils a lot nothing is nice and steady.

I also hated suffering an hour with a PDW to unlock a bloody carbine for my Engineer, and I dislike the DMR's, their existence is to make life easy for people who can't snipe properly.

I have fun with it though and it's definately better than Battlefield 3 was, still suffers from generally inaccurate weapons, a lack of teamwork and co-ordination even on the PC.

Commander mode is also mostly pointless and kind of boring.

The campaign was also rubbish.

Shame we're not allowed Bad Company anymore because the fans didn't like how lighthearted it was.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
I love it so far. I like all of the maps except two. Flood Zone is ok, but it took ages to get used to how vertical that map is, it felt like I was getting shot at from every direction. Operation Locker however is completely broken in most game modes. Matches always devolve into everyone standing around the same three choke points and spamming grenades. Whoever can cap C the fastest almost always wins. It might actually be bad enough that DICE has to overhaul it somehow.

Weapon customization is pretty awesome, though sadly they removed the AN-94. That was my favorite weapon in BF3 and I really hope that they end up bringing it back with future DLC.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I like it a lot more than BF3. Its kind of the perfect blend between CoD and BF, which works for me, but I could see it alienating the long term BF players.

Its probably the first shooter I've had any fun playing in the past 5 years.

I'm playing on PS4.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I seem to get stuttering all the time, no idea why. Then it crashes. Can't complete any games online. At least now it saves my stats, though. I'm enjoying playing pistol-only games, because that seems to fit my skill level better.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i've been on PC, and i can hardly play it. about 5 minutes loading each server, and when i get in it has issues with looking. occasionally it will freeze the ability to look sideways for a few seconds, and i can't be assed to try. might give it another go at some point after they patch it, but nearly every modern shooter has been a major disappointment for me the last few years

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
BF4 is what BF3 should have been. I've been playing Battlefield since 1942, and it's my favourite of the series. BF4's map designs are the best I've seen from the franchise. Vehicles and infantry on are on equal ground on most maps for once (rather than the infantry dominated or vehicle dominated maps of before). Compared to other maps in the franchise, I guess it's a little less head-on big group of people versus another big group of people and more stategic flanking and defending of separate squads. My favourite map would be Flood Zone. It's an instant classic with how vertical and tight it is for both armour and infantry gameplay.

Obliteration is my second favourite game mode now. It takes the best parts of Rush and Capture the Flag and combines into something extremely fast-paced and exciting. Nothing feels more badass then being a bomb-carrier that ran across the whole map while being singled out by a big neon sign. They should make that a little less noticeable though. Like, make the bomb signal flash every second or two so you know the general direction of it, but you can't snipe the bomb carrier without actually seeing them.

The gadgets are a HUGE improvement. So much variety for each class. And my favorite has got to be the Engineer's M2 Slam. They're like AT mines, but you can also put them on walls or on vehicles themselves like C4. They'd be so OP if more people actually knew how to use them. It's not rare to have the enemy tank driver I just killed ask "What the hell is the M2 Slam?".

But there needs to be many fixes. It wasn't polished for shit by the release date. There's a one-hit kill bug that would register bullet damage multiple times randomly (might have just been fixed today). That's a pretty big fuck-up. And the netcode was so bad that sniper rifles were impossible to use for a few weeks. It's still not good enough, though.

Church185 said:
Operation Locker however is completely broken in most game modes. Matches always devolve into everyone standing around the same three choke points and spamming grenades. Whoever can cap C the fastest almost always wins. It might actually be bad enough that DICE has to overhaul it somehow.
The outside lane is your friend when the inside choke points do get over-populated. Or play on 48 or 32 player servers and not all the choke points will be covered at any one time. Also, try Hardcore if you really dislike grenade spamming because it's almost non-existent in that mode due to possible team-killing. Two highly-skilled teams on Operation Locker Conquest will trade capture points back and forth the whole round. Rush might actually be broken on the second set of M-COM's, though. It's near impossible to attack if the defending team gets set-up quickly enough. I initially thought Obliteration was broken because it would be impossible to move the bomb in the hallways, but people started finding strategies that move the bomb pretty quickly (such as taking the bomb into their base to draw the enemy, then doing a hard push with the whole team taking different flanking routes).
Directionless said:
whoever sees first kills first in BF4.
Nope. Comes down to weapon choice, weapon attachments, and how you use them. Some guns are great at long ranges and others are great at short ranges. People running with PDWs will most likely destroy those with assault rifles at close ranges, but are pretty much useless when it comes to medium to long ranges. I change my gun choice often depending on what role I'm playing or what part of the map I'm attacking/defending. Some guns are pretty decent all around (like the M416 or ACW-R), but aren't the winners all the time. If I'm running an M416 and meet somebody using an AEK in close-quarters, I'm going to lose to them, even if I saw them, stopped running, aimed down sights and started firing first. Summed up, it's a very rock-paper-scissors system.
ShinyCharizard said:
and the lighting and effects make it very difficult to see enemies.
That's part of the strategy. You can shoot out the lights in a room to make it pitch black, and flash enemies with your tactical light to surprise them. Or use thermal sights to see through smoke, dust or a blizzard. Or aim at the smarty-pants who tried running through smoke with a laser sight on. The lighting effects are quite toned down compared to BF3, too. The sun isn't as "Fuck you eyeballs!" anymore.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I like it a lot on pc so far. Crashes have been minimal lately. My main issues with the game are sniping is way to easy now. Not cod easy but pretty close. Sound cuts out randomly when in vehicles. One shot kills. Getting killed around corners. Overall its no better or worse than bf3 at launch and I am enjoying the map design more than bf3 for the most part.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Not the best time to be asking this considering the "big" Dec 3 PC patch is just around the corner :p

Overall the game is INSANELY fun when you can gain some traction and go on killing sprees (all on your own) in 64 player modes. It feels very rewarding. Maps are extremely well designed, there's a lot less bullshit choke-points or spawn-camping scenarios. Sound quality is the absolute pinnacle of gaming (when it isn't cutting out) and graphical quality is also stunning, gameplay & environments feels very immersive.

The big 3 things for me that put a serious dent in my enjoyment are:
> Crashes, crashes, motherfucking crashes. They have become a lot less frequent over the last few weeks, but crashing in the middle of an awesome round is still fucking infuriating and should not be happening period.
> Glitches & netcode. It blows my mind how the one-shot glitch made it past QA, and why DICE continue to struggle with netcode despite having 10+ years of multiplayer/online experience with them.
> Balance issues. This is of course a finer aspect...but my beloved DMR's feel useless as shit, attack/transport helicopters drop like flies (good luck staying airborne for more than 2 minutes), attack jets are ridiculously strong, stealth jets are utter garbage, etc.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
Yeah but even with the lighting turned right down it is still next to impossible to see enemies. They just blend into the textures far too much. That combined with the inability to properly aim and control your gun makes it very frustrating. They should have just kept the gun handling from the Bad Company games.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
Yeah but even with the lighting turned right down it is still next to impossible to see enemies. They just blend into the textures far too much. That combined with the inability to properly aim and control your gun makes it very frustrating. They should have just kept the gun handling from the Bad Company games.
True.

I have a particularly hatred of the bullshitty sight sway on any fuckintg scoped rifle unless you have a bipod, even firing from prone it's terrible.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I recall someone beating up Halo for having bullets count even when you didn't really get your target. This feels like the opposite, which I suppose happens all the time in real life. You point directly at your enemy, pull the trigger and nothing happens anyway.

But I'm playing a game. I want stuff to explode.

That written, I'm playing the campaign on PC and so far, it is very pretty and has had some fun gameplay, nice explosions and cut scenes that have really blown me away.

I paid $25 for a Gamestop Download. Seems fair enough.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
True.

I have a particularly hatred of the bullshitty sight sway on any fuckintg scoped rifle unless you have a bipod, even firing from prone it's terrible.
Yep sight-sway is bullshit. They've taken the push for realism too far to the point where it actively harms the game and takes away the fun. In fact that is my main issue with Battlefield 3 and 4 in general.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
True.

Yep sight-sway is bullshit. They've taken the push for realism too far to the point where it actively harms the game and takes away the fun. In fact that is my main issue with Battlefield 3 and 4 in general.
On console there is no sight sway in BC2 and I was a bloody good sniper cuz you could take your time and be accurate rather than HOLDYOURBREATHANDSHOOTNOW.

Loathe and detest it.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
SkarKrow said:
ShinyCharizard said:
-Assuming PC-

Turn the lighting off.
True.

On console there is no sight sway in BC2 and I was a bloody good sniper cuz you could take your time and be accurate rather than HOLDYOURBREATHANDSHOOTNOW.

Loathe and detest it.
I was the Sniper God in BC2 lol. They had it perfect in that game. You had all the time in the world to line up your shot and the bullet drop was very easy to account for.