So I don't like Mass Effect

Donttazemehbro

Nov 24, 2009
Talvrae said:
You stopped cause of one of the side quest??? you could jsut have droped the quest and contined the story line you know
I know, on a side note. ive beaten ME2 about 11+ times (xbox+pc) i love that game. give it time it will get better. super high replay value and my #1 game of all time (yeah i know)

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I think my favorite thing about Mass Effect is the scope of the world they created and the music. To me, all the music has this vibe of being a throwback to classic sci-fi, with sounds reminiscent of Blade Runner and the like.
Other than that, fair enough... I liked it, but I can see how the games annoyances could weigh on people enough to turn them off of it completely.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
I couldn't bring myself to finish Oblivion for the longest time and just recently I finished it. I got all 60 achievements and finished the DLC, so there is officially no reason for me to ever play that game again.

Of games I own, I also really can't bring myself to finish Final Fantasy XIII. The combat is so... well, let me put it like this:
Fallout 3 mixed Real Time and Turn Based combat quite well by clearly separating them (When you're in VATS, it's Turn Based, if you're not, you're in real time), but FF13 tries (and fails) to mix them together. It makes for awkward combat, although the Pardimes were pretty cool.
Also, the game is almost criminally linear for an RPG series that's supposed to be so much about the open world (at least from what I've heard of everyone else).

And really, why did you quit Mass Effect because of the monkey quest? It's just a side quest, so if you really hated it THAT much, just skip it. There's no reason to do such an unimportant quest if you don't want to, and one mission isn't much of a reason to hate a game.

AidoruKami

Jun 10, 2010
I hate that side quest. I hate it so much. It is the -worst- part of the game, period.

Had the Mako never existed and had BioWare not made KotOR (A vastly superior game in my opinion) four years before ME, I would probably love it as much as everyone else does. Despite it's flaws, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and believed it to be a great game. I do wish I didn't have a desire to do EVERYTHING in games, though... I did every side quest... and I... hate... the... Mako... so... much...

But personally? I thought that Mass Effect 2 was a great step forward and an incredible improvement on the first. Why? NO MAKO! Also combat is improved and you don't feel as confined as you do in the first game. Mineral gathering is boring, but it beats the Mako. Anything. Beats. The. Mako.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I was to lazy to read the thread but when Mass Effect 2 came out I basically sat at my computer for 3 days and forced myself to play through mass effect 1 just so i could have a character

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
sircashews said:
So I ran across this post( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.227144-Motivation#7807690 )and it made me remember that I couldn't finish Mass Effect my reasons for this are exactly as the subject suggests. I just could not finish it which is really weird for me. I remember landing on this one planet and I had to search these space monkeys for for something and just saying to myself out loud "This stupid" and just quiting so I was just wondering I'm I the only one who had a problem with Mass Effect. I searched the Gaming forums and nothing leaped out at me. So have at it.

Edit: I didn't quit the game just because of one side quest I quit because it generally bored me. Also why is evil space robots and you are chosen one any better than any other game.
The sidequests in ME12 were dull, repetitive and annoying at times, but the main storyline is one of, if not the best out of any game I've ever played.

You should definitely pick it up again. ME2 is even better, and the sidequests are much more diverse and engaging.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I wasn't much a fan of ME1 either, after numerous pointless side quests at the Citadel area I just turned the game off and never put it back in. Played ME2 and didn't realize I'd beaten it until after it was over. The mechanics of ME2's combat were boring, but I liked the interaction during otherwise boring conversations. If they could make a Mass Effect game that captured my attention like Jade Empire or KotOR, I'd actually say the series lives up to the hype.
But with Gears of War style cover-based combat, its not a game I like very much....

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
If you were a bit more specific we might be able to have a discussion about it but I personally thought it was great not quite as good as KotOR but still good. The main story was fairly good and well told; it had a lot of back story and believable well done characters with shooter gameplay that's above average for the typical RPG. That's not to say it's perfect by any means so I can see how you would dislike it.

Zombie Nixon

Sep 3, 2009
I enjoyed it, but almost all the criticisms people throw at are true. Average game. 2 was a big improvement, so you still might want to check that one out.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Well, you said you didn't like it, but could you be a bit more specific as to why?
Anyway, I enjoyed the game, sorry you didn't. Well, seeing as how you did not like Mass Effect, might I recommend another action RPG. Fallout 3, I think that one might be a bit more to your liking.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
It's not everyone's cup of tea. If you didn't enjoy it, that's not a problem. Differences of opinions, they happen.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I'm still working my way through ME1...but it's just so slow
I guess if the combat was better...oh, well ME2 but I kinda wanna make it through 1 at least ><

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I like to finish games when I start them- Mass Effect was no different.

And there were some times when I wasn't too motivated to finish a side-quest, and I would either be bored for a few minutes and do it- or just not do it. They're sidequests. No penalty or anything, who cares.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
cool story bro

seriously what do you expect us to say to this? everyone dislikes some "good" game for some reason or another, you just happen to not like mass effect. i hate the uncharted series and morrowind. it all evens out

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Honestly, I haven't played it. If Mass Effect 3 comes to the PS3 though, I might give it a try.