So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
-AC80- said:
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
i would call it very weird but i'd currently be storming into the principals/head teacher office and demand an explanation to these out right lies/total miss communication (and i assume the "lack empathy" bit was an immediate conclusion base on the sole fact that you are atheist and they dont really know much about it?, question that in detail as well) (?).
I completely agree here. This is absolutely ridiculous. I might even switch schools over this, if I were you. Seriously, you might even have grounds for a lawsuit for discrimination and labeling due to religious beliefs. It's been proven that labeling a student can severely affect their performance in school, too, so take from that what you will

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Gxas said:
So I was called into the office of my high school today to talk to my guidance counselor about college stuff (I'm a senior) and she had all my files and stuff on her desk. There was one folder she never looked at though during the meeting. I asked her about it and she said it wasn't important.

The bell rang and we both got up to leave. I went back to her office once she had left and picked up the folder. It was a report about my "school shooting potential". At my school, apparently, the SSP is based on grades, interests, music choice, and religion. It said this (from what I can recall, I skimmed it)

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

I think that you should bring this to public attention somehow. Get newspeople on it (if they'll believe you) and try to get them to make that information public. In my eyes, that shit is not right at all. If anything new happens with this, I'd like to know about it. I'm very interested in this story now.
Because they're trying to prevent the school from being 'shot up'?

Not saying the OP would do that, but every couple of days, there seems to be another school shooting in the US or Mexico. It seems to be the 'cool' thing to do nowadays.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
You should confront her about it, at her house, while holding a gun.

Actually don't do that, that would be a horrible thing to do. Also, you snuck back into her office to rifle through your files just to know what one 'unimportant' file was? Thats some worrying behaviour right there.

I like how music choice is one of the indicators for whether you will shoot up a school. "ARGH He likes Judas Priest, now were all screwed!"

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
that is pretty nutz though at my school im prob on a similar list because of my views on many subjects but i dont think its wrong for a school to keep an eye on its students and place them into risk categories

Capatcha- seriously every freaking post for the last two weeks have you not realized im not a spam bot *oxygen mask*

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
I don't believe you can judge someone by those categories, at least for 'school shooting potential' i mean.
I would probably be up there >.>

Aug 25, 2009
You really should confront them about it. For one thing you're being profiled, for another, I think I'm right in saying that Freedom of Information applies to school documents and when you asked you should have been shown it and had it explained. (If the law is different where you are then ignore that last point)

Also, their assumptions are ridiculous, and they need to be made aware of it. I admit that trying to be logical with a school that makes these assumptions could be hard, but simply liking a particular style of music and associating yourself with a particular culture doesn't make you dangerous.

Though that point about atheism makes me wonder if you shouldn't just ask your parents to let you move school.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Don't worry about it. It happened to me too, and a friend of mine. We haven't killed anyone, nor do we have the wish to.

School systems are so absolutely terrified of losing funding, prestige, or reputation that they go to outrageous lengths to keep tabs on "possible shooter students".

I was put on that list because:
1) Of the medication I was taking at the time
2) I was brighter than your average student (that isn't me bragging. That was what they said.) in most subjects. Especially computers, science and writing.
3) I didn't participate in any of their extracurricular activities (I had just moved for the first time when I started high school.) So they presumed me critically antisocial. I also enjoyed playing shooters at the time (Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 were brand new around then)

Of course, what they didn't know is that my family didn't own any firearms; so they invented that possibility (in their own minds).

It was a remarkably similar to the scenario that my friend endured.
Though I find it more than a little disturbing that school systems make such inaccurate assumptions about their students just for the sake of presenting "evidence" to their superiors that they are indeed keeping an eye out for possible psychos.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Gxas said:
So I was called into the office of my high school today to talk to my guidance counselor about college stuff (I'm a senior) and she had all my files and stuff on her desk. There was one folder she never looked at though during the meeting. I asked her about it and she said it wasn't important.

The bell rang and we both got up to leave. I went back to her office once she had left and picked up the folder. It was a report about my "school shooting potential". At my school, apparently, the SSP is based on grades, interests, music choice, and religion. It said this (from what I can recall, I skimmed it)

I think that you should bring this to public attention somehow. Get newspeople on it (if they'll believe you) and try to get them to make that information public. In my eyes, that shit is not right at all. If anything new happens with this, I'd like to know about it. I'm very interested in this story now.
Because they're trying to prevent the school from being 'shot up'?

Not saying the OP would do that, but every couple of days, there seems to be another school shooting in the US or Mexico. It seems to be the 'cool' thing to do nowadays.
Prevent the school from being shot up by classifying suspects as "athiests who listen to death metal and are interested in death"? Yeah, no. You should base it more off of how they act, not what they listen to or believe.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Similer in 8th grade for me. Our family consumer science teacher would watch my class on the last block of the day because my homeroom teacher worked in the studio at my school. She said i had changed from last year (I lost weight, grew out my hair, wear black band shirts and jeans, and am less inclined to blindly fallow what a teacher says) and that apparently i was scary. A friend of mine would say in that class that if i shot up the school he'd make it because i like him. I also happened to know of every one involved in drug trafficing and would casually talk about it. She would listen into all of these conversations on a daily basis. She was espically disturbed by an act i put on for a few friends where i would pretend to have an alternate personality and change my voice, though it was an obvious act as i did this on command. Any way one day near the end of the year i was called to guidence to talk about high school. They told me they did the same with every student, which was false because i asked around. Halfway through the conversation she mentions my FCS teacher and that she said i was an interesting person to talk to. The last part of the conversation turned to weather or not i was a violent person. I knew from the very beging that my FCS teacher told them to talk to me because she thought i was crazy and that just confirmed my suspicions. OH well whats a guy to do.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Take it to the press. I'm sure your local news would love to bust into the school about "preferential treatment based on faulty psychological profiles and paranoia." That's pretty fucked up, but not hard to understand. You shouldn't keep quiet about it though; at least confront the guidance counselor or principal about it.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
I say steal the file and show it to your parents and possibly alert the local news about this.

Tim Cr810

Dec 24, 2009
when it comes right down to it Atheist have as much reason to be empathetic and be a contributing member of society as Christians do, maybe more because they don't have this God Person to clean up their messes
we just have different reasons for it, while Christians do so because if they don't they'll be smited by their god or any passing paladins Atheists do it because they know that natural selection in Primates favors the team players, if you have three men in a village, a man who is a good person and helps out his community, a man who acts like a little kid, and a man who spends his time on the outskirts of the village being antisocial... who gets to pass on his genes to the next generation?

aka who gets laid?

hell that's a reason for Christians to avoid being a good person because apparently God hates in when people have sex

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Tahts... actually kinda funny. To me at least, just that your school has a list. Though it seems like something you could bring a lawsuit around for, targetting you out on your (lack of) religion, interests, and music.

Id ont know, my high school didnt need a list like that. Everyone could bring their (legal) guns to school, cause I live in a really suburban area where you can go to a rural place in like, five minutes drive, and hunting is huge. People often joked that they would come in and shoot the place (for various reasons). I know I had brought my gun to school once, and more times I had brought other weapons (for hunting). In fact, in the four years of being in my high school, and of its 40 year history, we only had one attempted shooting. it was bad for the kid that tried, cause after three of us (including me) tackled him and made him miss the girl he was aiming for, he got back up and tried again, but wound up getting shot in both knee caps, bringing and keeping him down.

Though, I guess I would be on that list if we had one, just cause I have the capabilities and discipline to kill just about anyone in most anyway, and have a reputation as being hard to kill.

EDIT:
I wonder if they have it (the list) up somewhere online for the parents to see. Like they do with Megan's Law

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Zabriskie Point said:
I would be seriously offended at that, man. That's some horrible stereotyping.
That's beyond stereotyping into outright idiocy and discimination.

OP, you need to do something about it :/.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Um, years?

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
This person doesn't believe in God! And listens to metal! They must be some sort of soulless killer!!!

...Yeah, whoever picked the criteria for that watchlist has no grounding in reality. But if you confront them about it, they might just end up more scared of you. Maybe try and talk to them about it in a non-agressive way. Like, don't go yelling "What the hell!? I'm not going to shoot anyone, you dumbass!!"