So I just finished Saints Row IV

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
It was everything the new Duke Nukem should have been.
Did experience a couple glitchy moments, but nothing that stopped me from enjoying the game.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
-Dragmire- said:
It's funny you should mention Saints Row 2 because now I want to play it after finishing Saints Row IV. SR4 gave me an appreciation for the characters that I didn't get from #3, but #3 is still probably my favorite so far.

*EDIT* Speaking of which, has anybody here played the first Saints Row on 360? I think it was an exclusive. Were they building up the story back then or were they simply having a laugh as the Brits would say?
Saints Row 1 was the literal definition of a GTA clone. The story structure was mostly the same. The humor was mostly the same. The music was mostly the same. The customization was mostly the same (seemed a tad better maybe?). The only thing that Saints Row 1 did differently than GTA at the time was to have much better shootin mechanics, but other than that it was a GTA clone through and through.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
shintakie10 said:
Saints Row 1 was the literal definition of a GTA clone. The story structure was mostly the same. The humor was mostly the same. The music was mostly the same. The customization was mostly the same (seemed a tad better maybe?). The only thing that Saints Row 1 did differently than GTA at the time was to have much better shootin mechanics, but other than that it was a GTA clone through and through.
Interesting. The similarities to GTA aren't a bad thing for me. Looks like it would have come out after San Andreas, which to be honest is my favorite GTA (so far). Thanks.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Its enjoyable, but has a severe identity crisis when it comes to the different gameplay elements.

Your very fast aquired superpowers make vehicles obselete, and using your guns is more like an annoyance because you cannot move superspeed or be in midair while doing it. This results in weird fighting flow where you jump and run around as fast as the sound, only to whip out your shotgun and practically crawl around the battlezone shooting, only to start running like a maniac right after. This lessens when you start getting more powers and swapping between blast and telekenisis starts to be enough to clear most fights (This is when i started to not use guns as much).

The above is during sandbox mode. HOWEVER, everywhere else (vast majority of sidemissions and activites, + the main quest) You are stripped of your powers and go back to the SR3 type of gameplay. This to me was frustrating, and made the power upgrading system feel a bit pointless, since everything that really mattered IE the mainquest ignored your powers. Granted this is explained by the fact you're not in the simulation, but even when the first mainquest thats inside the simulation starts they introduce a fucking grenade that wipes out your powers for the entire mission. As a side note, I also didnt like the fact that almost half the game you spent without your clothing customizations. I mean really, your plastic surgery stays, your tattoos stay, why couldnt the clothes? Really goes against the supposed "fun over everything else" spirit they claim to have.

In the end, its a half assed superhero game that manages to make its GTA aspects unenjoyable, while frequently going back to the old style of gameplay, as if fearing that the dudebros who bought the last game wouldn't like the sci-fi and the superpower elements. On the positive note, the humor is much better, making funny references to things I like instead of shock factor and endless sex jokes. While I don't think that SR will ever be as good as the second one again, Im willing to give Saints row 5 a shot when that releases.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
shintakie10 said:
Interesting. The similarities to GTA aren't a bad thing for me. Looks like it would have come out after San Andreas, which to be honest is my favorite GTA (so far). Thanks.
That was actually the problem for me. Outside of shootin and possibly drivin mechanics, San Andreas was a better game completely. The story was less generic. The customization was far more out there and interestin. The weird shit you could do was far more interestin. Not only that but your character was obnoxiously mute except one line when you take down the last of each of the three gangs.

About the only fun thing you could do in SR1 was you could get yourself as high as a kite and try to do missions, but really all that did was make your screen get a bunch of wavy lines on it.

Truth be told, I have no idea how they got to Saints Row 2 from Saints Row 1. About the only thing I could think of was they looked at San Andreas, then looked at each other and went "Fuck it, lets do that but lets go farther"

Cilisien

Jul 20, 2013
I am playing through this at the moment think I am a couple of missions before the final battle and am loving it so far. Will be sad too see it end. Its been great from the rocket scene at the start too fighting a giant godzilla like battle and a streets of rage minigame?! So many game and movie references couldn't have asked for much more.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I was largely unimpressed with it. Maybe it is because I don't find reference based humour all that funny, and to me, it seemed like that was all this game could pull off.

The superpowers were fun, but they completely destroy other elements of the game. Why do I need a car when I can run faster than one? What do I need a plane when I can jump and glide? The fireball, when fully upgraded completely makes guns useless. A fireball that lights people on fire, who explode when they die, which lights other people on fire, and so forth.

They said they were going to make the game more "vertical", and we got five towers to climb, and if you tried climbing the massive tower right in the middle of the map, you get about halfway up and an invisible wall blocks you off. A lot of the "new" clothing was just the stuff from the DLC from the last game, same with cars.

A lot of activities were removed, just to be replaced with different versions of the same ones. Here is mayhem with a tank, now here is mayhem with a ufo, mayhem with a rocket launcher...with a mech....with superpowers...

The game was fun and amusing in parts, like the Predator reference at the start, or the Splinter Cell mission (which was funny for the first few minutes...then it kept going....), but it just felt so lazy and forced. OH, people though the Burt Reynolds bit was funny in Three, so let's drag that joke out throughout the entire game with Keith Davids. People liked the singing along to the radio joke, let's do that a few times in a row. And the constant jabs at Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2 in particular was just weird,and actually felt a bit bitchy. One of my friends playing Saints Row 4 never played Mass Effect, so a massive chunk of the games humour went over his head.

As I said, I enjoyed parts of the game, but a lot of it was rushed, served only to drag out the game, and not really funny. Again, maybe it is just my sense of humour is different to the games.

Also, no mission select again? I'm not going to play through the entire game again just to do one five minute section I liked. I thought the developers had noticed that was one of the main complaints about about Three.

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
hooblabla6262 said:
It was everything the new Duke Nukem should have been.
Did experience a couple glitchy moments, but nothing that stopped me from enjoying the game.
It's funny because in the segment in the beginning where you were fending off aliens via a giant turret gun I was like 'THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DUKE NUKEM FOREVER!'

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
I can't really find fault with SR4. Heck, it's probably the most fun I've ever had with a video game, ever. In my mind it's barely even comparable to most titles of its kind, GTA included. It totally blew GTA4 out of the water (as all the SR games did, to be fair) and frankly I think it's at least as good as San Andreas, which is a game that I adore.

The shooting mechanics are just as good as they've always been in the series, the humour was spot on once again, the characters are interesting (though none of them are anything on Wuzi, truth be told), and hell, of all games to borrow freeroam movement mechanics from, Prototype was by far the best choice. Just traveling around the city on foot is an unbridled joy. I found myself running around for ages completely aimlessly, simply enjoying the fluidity of the movement, which is something I haven't really had since Prototype or Spiderman 2.
Additionally, they released a great PC version on release, which is points against Rockstar for a lot of people.

If you like to have fun then go buy it now, it's so damn good and you won't regret it.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Just finished in tonight and I loved it, though I honestly enjoyed Saints Row 3 better. In any case, I'm sad that this is the end of the series. I know they leave the window open for more games but taken in a different direction, but there are so few games that are this unyieldingly silly and over the top and I'm sad to see it go. I think SR3 handled pacing much better though. After finishing that game I still wasn't at max level and had plenty of useful upgrades I still wanted. In SR4, if you do all the side and loyalty missions, you hit level cap by like the halfway point and money became pointless to me because I had nothing to spend it on. The side missions also really felt like a chore because it was the same stuff over and over again. I liked how SR3 handled it better. I don't mean to sound like I'm hating on the game. I had so much fun and feel like GTA5 will seem a tad boring by comparison. I hope they release an HD version of the whole series some day. I don't have an Xbox and SR2 doesn't run too well on PC. I feel like I'm missing so much by only playing SR3 and 4.

Also, has anyone played through twice? I kinda want to try playing with Nolan North, but only if his twist on the lines makes a noticeable difference

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Kalezian said:
OT, I think it was a cop-out on how they justified Gat being back. It feels like it was added because the sole response of the fans when Gat died in 3.

Also brings up some severe plotholes. Why did Loren automatically assume Gat was dead? he was getting beat down by himself, wakes up and Gat's gone? he must be dead, it's not like he would be hiding in the plane or anything.
Actually, that wasn't the big plot hole in that bit. It's common knowledge in the SR-verse that Gat makes 'Splosion Man look stealthy, so if he's not in view he's not around. Also, the fact Loren wasn't dead was pretty strong evidence Johnny hadn't left under his own power. Given that, it makes sense that he'd take advantage of the situation and try to build up his rep as "the man who killed Gatman"[footnote]internet high-five for the first person to get that reference[/footnote]. What's more perplexing is why Viola didn't tell the boss the truth after joining the Saints. As to whether Volition intended to bring him back, the fact that they didn't have him die onscreen tells me they were leaving a backdoor open on purpose.
Angry Joe said it best, the person who decided to add super-powers to the game must of taken the largest shit on the guy who added so many customization items for the cars.
Amen to that. I actually felt a bit guilty after a while, because all the unlockable vehicles felt like the car guys begging me to pay attention to all their hard work.

00slash00 said:
I hope they release an HD version of the whole series some day. I don't have an Xbox and SR2 doesn't run too well on PC. I feel like I'm missing so much by only playing SR3 and 4.
Here [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922] are some tips to make SR2 run smoother on PC, and here [http://idolninja.com/sr2.php]'s a link to a mod collection that makes it even more entertaining.

hirillenn

Aug 6, 2013
I also just finished up the game, and after getting the "great" ending, I am REALLY hoping to see another entry in the series. I mean, Jane Austen has been seriously neglected in the world of video games.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm just thinking about what SRV is going to be like. The ending clearly leaves open options to take the series elsewhere. I also find it a huge indicator of where the games industry is at when I find more instances of good writing and genuinely touching moments in this than a lot of games trying to be "serious." Like having Shaundi reconcile with her stoner past, the boss actually encouraging Matt to stand up for himself, and basically the entire Johnny subplot. There are some quibbles, but nothing major and the game is a blast as well as just FUNNY. I can't wait to see where they take the series after this.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I've finished, too, but haven't gone about raising much hell in the post game.

SR4, to me, kinda falls into the same problems as every other open world sandbox game. The only people left to shoot at this point are generally civillians, and cops.

All the old gangs aren't utilized anymore which is a shame. I'd have liked some way to control the simulation and give them turf. Maybe see them fight eachother. Play "god" more. Respark some gang wars, and stuff. See the Brotherhood fight the Syndicate, and Ronin fight the Luchadores, or sumfin. The simulation aspect could certainly have been utilized more.

All in all, it's a wonderful marriage between SR3, and SR2, and a very welcome revisit to old saints row things.

Also I think, despite the "shoot all things!" nature of the game, there was a pretty delicious variety of missions. A mission replay option would be awesome.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
New Troll said:
Best Superhero game ever.
This.

I played Infamous and Prototype, beat them, and sold them for some other game. I found both meh. Saints Row 4, on the other hand, was the most fun I ever had playing a Super Hero.

I also liked how the entire game looked back at the previous three. I had to watch the cut scenes from Saints Row 1 on Youtube to fully understand everything, but once I did, the game had far more depth.

One thing I didn't like about SR3 was how it didn't feel like it had a connection to previous games. This one, meanwhile, had connections to all three. I really liked that about it.

Also the romances. ^^

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I love Saints Row, however I feel like missed the mark a little but while still being a great game. I'm not sure why 3 and 4 felt the need to remove the vast multitude of shops and customization options that's always bugged me. I also think that the addition of travel superpowers is what killed it for me. Blast and stomp and telekinesis were fine but the mobility off the superpowers made vehicles moot.

Speaking of vehicles, I confiscated a UFO early and used that to travel as well as using the UFO/Tank to do take care of anything giving me trouble in the early game. I hate the fact that travel actually becomes more sleep-inducing than the prior games as a result of this. The older games I would usually ride a motorcycle, and would stay on my toes weaving through traffic. The fact that it's an option and a bad one at that in 4 isn't enough for me to be some weird ascetic that ignores the tools the game gives me.

As far as Gat goes, I absolutely hate what they did in that area. I hate the irritating amount of asburdity and hero-worship concerning him. I hate that my character becomes a slavering fangirl at the mere mention of him. The rescue missions were really interesting, but I found the loyalty missions somewhat of a chore at times.

I feel that this game honestly distanced itself top much with the absurdity. I suppose this makes sense if this is supposed to be the end but I feel it was ridiculous to a fault. I didn't want to become the cliche president out of a 15-year-old's fantasy. The Matrix plot could of easily been wired to preserve the status quo in a sense that would allow the game to return to it's roots at end.

I want to keep playing Saint's Row, I love the IP, I just don't want to keep playing the Saints from 4.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I finished it in 27 hours, I'm 42 hours into it now. My favourite part is the music. Also Kinzie is hot.
DataSnake said:
There are three endings, sort of:
1. If you go through the red door instead of rescuing Matt, you get a bad ending, as well as an achievement.
2. If you complete the main quest without doing all side quests, you get a good ending
3. If you do all side quests and loyalty missions before the last story mission, you get a great ending.
Also, this may make any Aussies in the audience hate me, but my personal favorite mission was "Girls' Night Out". I was expecting the missions to be full of funny and awesome moments, but I wasn't expecting anything heartwarming, let alone solid character development. Coming in a very close second was "SR3 Wrap-Up", with the three that made me laugh the most being Pierce and Asha's rescues and Matt's loyalty mission.
This Aussie liked it too, he used a VPN. Evil Smurf is naughty ;D

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I loved it, almost as much as SR2. It was fun, funny, well-written, had a ton of charm, some great parodies and references, as well as throwbacks to the other three games, has some great music choices, both licensed and original score, a fun villain, fixed a lot of the problems I had with SR3. The characters I never really cared for in the third I ended up really liking in the fourth.

I do have a few complaints, however. I did come across a few game crashing bugs. As fun as the superpowers were, they did make cars entirely useless, which was my biggest worry going into it. I felt the whole president aspect was kinda wasted, and never evolved into anything.

And yeah, I think it would've been nice if they went back to SR2's routes and have more serious moments and be more of a gangster game, but how long would that last before growing stale. At least now the SR games has its own identity rather than being labeled as a GTA clone. If I want a serious gangster game I'll just play the GTA games, but if I want to have a wacky good time, I'll turn to the Saints Row series.

Stephen Schuler

Sep 4, 2013
So in the grand scheme of time traveling,
couldn't the Saints just go back in to time right before Earth was blown up and killed Zinyak and save everyone then? Depending on what they could take back to the past, they could have transported the giant mothership and be like Han and shot first, or Matt and Kinzie could learn all the codes to pre-emptively shut down the other ship, or go in on foot with power armor blazing.
Seems to me like a small hole in the idealogy when the subject of time travel is used. Then a very possible Saints Row 5 could be made.

But maybe could be done in DLC?

But still loved the game and has me excited to play Saints Row 2.