So I just got jumped last night...

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Mad1Cow said:
Atheist. said:
I guess we can no longer believe any news source that doesn't have a video feed. Although... Even then it could be photoshopped!!! Shit! What ever will we do for news now. We can't even believe our eyes. Honestly, as said before, I'm not trying to hate. You are simply wrong. Every news article is written by a single person. Every book is too. Most online videos are also from a single person. You disbelieve me, and you set the merit for them all. I agree some are wrong, but the way you put your argument, we all are.
Before I get pounced on for attacking you, I'm not, I'm educating the masses with this argument. See, we have a little thing with news sources which is basically that if they lie to us, they can get taken to court for being misleading IF someone approaches them. Now, most people won't try to incur that wrath and will uphold this code, at most though a person will take facts and weave them into a different story. When a story is made, it's taken as an opinion of events, like detectives on CSI. Facts are facts though and no matter which way about it, they cannot be made up. Brought up at the wrong time and used out of context yes, but if you make up facts in a news source, you're pretty much screwed for life, unless you're lucky.

Also, I'm not kidding here, I really REALLY want to believe your story, but the acurracy that it's told at compared to the actual event...I just can't get my head around it. If I got mugged, I would not have recalled it being a certain sized bridge I fell off. The fact you can acurrately recall (or roughly guestimate) a speed of 10 mph is quite incredible too. All I'm saying is, if it were me, I'd have only recalled simple facts. Something like:

"Hey guys, so I got mugged by 5 guys, while I was on a bridge on the way home. They pretty much surrounded me so after trying the self-defence option I could only flee by jumping off the bridge. Fortunately there was a train going underneath at a considerably slow speed which managed to break my fall somewhat. Since they took my shoes (and my wallet) I had to walk home barefoot from the station where the train had come to stop. Been a bit of a rough night tbh."

The fact that no-one appeared to be at the station or on the train either is a bit interesting, but I'm willing to believe that on the simple grounds that I have witnessed "My Little Pony" becoming more popular than "Transformers". Tell that to my 10yo former self and he would have probably jumped on a train too.

But like I say, I really want to believe this to put my faith into kick-assing and humanity once again. If you have any evidence of the event I will take everything back in an instant. And for the love of god, if this is real, report it to the police and get checked by the hospital. Seriously what if these guys pulled that stunt again? Then who'd be the arse? (The one who could have prevented it that's who)
Err, I don't recall saying train station, and if I did, my bad. It was simply a bridge overhanging a railroad track with the station nearby, but not within eye or earshot.

Also, Fox News fired someone for refusing to air a fake story a while back. If I recall correctly the tried to take Fox to court but failed. That court ruling allowed them to keep the name Fox News, even though some of their content is "Opinionated Content" or something like that. I think it was in Florida, but it was a bit back.

I'm clearly guestimating on the train speed, but I figured it was going about cruising speed on a bike, so in that ball part. I only threw that number out so people wouldn't assume it was some train going like 60 or some shit, because if that was the case I'd probably have gotten ran over. For industrial trains, they usually don't have much in the way of staff. That and it's at night. Also, I didn't wait for the train to stop, I simply bailed in an area that looked least painful, like I said, it wasn't going fast.

Edit:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Atheist. said:
I was walking home last night and saw a group of people that approached me. They literally stole my shoes and were about to steal my wallet and throw me off this bridge. I got out of their control and managed to jump off it and land on a train.

How fucked up are the times we live in that random people seriously attempt to kill someone for shoes and a damn wallet?

Has anyone else had an experience being mugged, or attempted mugging? I'm fairly proficient in Krav Maga. But taking on five people at once is quite difficult. I managed to submit the big guy, but some other dude repeatedly punched me in the head until I retreated.

I jumped off a 30 foot bridge, on to a train, so about a 20 foot drop. Jumped off, and walked home 4 miles in my socks. Sorry for the profanity, but I seriously think this is messed up.
While the owner of my dojo was in San Diego for a convention, nursing his broken arm, he got jumped by 3 guys. Worst mistake they ever made. This little 5'1 65 year-old took them out.
Also, this is awesome. I was able to pull that off.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Stevo_s said:
Atheist. said:
I was walking home last night and saw a group of people that approached me. They literally stole my shoes and were about to steal my wallet and throw me off this bridge. I got out of their control and managed to jump off it and land on a train.

How fucked up are the times we live in that random people seriously attempt to kill someone for shoes and a damn wallet?

Has anyone else had an experience being mugged, or attempted mugging? I'm fairly proficient in Krav Maga. But taking on five people at once is quite difficult. I managed to submit the big guy, but some other dude repeatedly punched me in the head until I retreated.

I jumped off a 30 foot bridge, on to a train, so about a 20 foot drop. Jumped off, and walked home 4 miles in my socks. Sorry for the profanity, but I seriously think this is messed up.
Only time I got jumped was after leaving a club in Mexico some people followed me and my friends to an after party we of course didn't notice them (drugs plus alcohol = BLAST!)

Unfortunately drugs and alcohol can also cause severe vomiting and sickness so I stayed outside with a friend next to his truck puking my guts out, when we get surrounded by 5-6 guys memory is fuzzy on this part but I noticed them surrounding us and immediately stood up and tried my best to ignore my stomach crawling up my throat.

So my Spanish is pretty horrible and one of these guys is talking to my friend who is really good with Spanish then one of the guys takes off my friends cap throws it and slaps him upside the head. I react to this by punching this guy 3 times in the face before a flurry of fists and yells brings me to the other side of the street I was super drunk but several of them were yelling repeatedly in Spanish that they were gonna kill me. It took me awhile to remember how to fight lol I must've taken 20-30 punches before I remembered how to move. Once I got my adrenaline under control I put up one heck of a fight against 3 at once. This was within the time span of 5-10 minutes

I think I kinda blacked out at some point but a few people from the after party had come out to the defense of me and my friend. At this point it was funny cause I was behind all these people suddenly and didn't remember them coming out or even hearing them.

We chased them away to their van and they promised they were coming back with guns. I was in Mexico, people get killed all the time in Mexico. So after about 10 minutes of talking with my friends there we ran off back to America. Turns out that a friend of the attackers girlfriend had told him that my friend had grabbed his girlfriends ass at the club we were at earlier. I also found out that half of the attackers actually were connected with an organized crime family in Mexico.

I'd say I was lucky to get out of that with nothing more than a nosebleed. :]
That's a pretty good store, kudos. I was I was able to fight back, but I had no backup so if I failed, I'd be dead.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Dr. wonderful said:
Atheist. said:

Heh, My brother was shot through the heart by a group of men who stole his bus tokens.

As far as I can tell, you lucky, you're actually telling us this shit.
My condolences, people do fucked up shit for no good reason apparently.

Chairman Miaow said:
Atheist. said:
Scoffy89 said:
I have 2 stories relating to this. Though my own personal experience is a bit useless but I suppose it's something.

I was about 17 and two little kids (This may sound kind of pathetic but at least I'm honest) who were about 13, came up to me with bats (one said he had a knife but I think he was bluffing to sound tough or something) and wanted my mp3 player. I told them to get lost but of course they didn't but luckily my friends house was nearby so I got there as quick as I could. A bit of a useless story but it is messed up how people, especially kids, resort to this kind of behaviour. I mean seriously, trying to forcibly take someones stuff because you want it? What is that about?

Also a friend of mine got held up by a junkie with a dirty needle for money. All he had on him was a bit of change so luckily he didn't lose anything valuable.
Kendell Cambridge said:
Well, I'm anti mugging, having been held up at gun point a block from my house before and having my money taken. On the other hand, as to the story... pics or GTFO
I'm not sure if you're really serious, but who the fuck has a camera man when they're getting assaulted. Doubting someone should never happen unless you have factual reason not to. Otherwise, apparently we're saying fuck you to any victim without a witness. Including a multitude of serial killers.
here's a reason not to: you claim you jumped onto a moving train? how did you get off? how did you survive? how did you stay on? why did they take your shoes first? Why would you even consider trying that? and all this after taking a beating and with no shoes? I've known people get injured falling 20 foot when they were perfectly fine beforehand, and you're saying you were stable enough to land on a moving train after taking a beating?

Kudos if your story is true, but there are too many little problems with it for me to believe you.

Edit: all the people telling your own stories about how you "bravely fought off like 6 ninjas" are pretty farfetched too. Apparantly the nerd stereotype is wrong and nerds are in fact all Austrian bodybuilders.
I didn't take an unbelievable beating. They took my shoes because they were pretty new, you've never heard of people doing this before? Once adrenaline kicks in, you can pretty much do anything for a period of time, to a certain degree. I'll say this again, even though I'm kind of getting tired of it. The train was only moving 10MPH. Hell, they have ladders on the ends of each car. I simply jumped off of it in a decent looking spot where I thought I'd take little to no injuries. I hope that clears some of your questions up, but whatever. At this point I'm almost to the end of all the quotes that have built up, so yay. I do intend to respond to everyone who has taken the time to quote me.

Chairman Miaow said:
Atheist. said:
3. Have you ever been mugged? Raped? Assaulted? If someone doubted your integrity on such a serious matter, you're going to be offended. People saying you're something you're not is something to get defense about, sorry if you don't understand. I'd like to insult you here, but that only damages me. Unless you jest about serious crimes, I think you should back off on this one. Although, if you have no experience with something as serious as this, you have no validity in the first place.
Just picked out this bit because it was the worst of the bunch, the rest were just run of the mill hypocrisy. You are seriously comparing being mugged to beind raped? I've been mugged. I didn't even try to fight, but they attacked anyway. It hurt. Of course it did. It was annoying and painful. It wasn't a big deal. What has changed? I have a little less money and a fair amount of bruises and cuts. Rape on the other hand? You have no fucking idea what the hell you are talking about and I cannot believe you can even compare the two. Have you ever met rape victims? Their lives are sometimes completely destroyed by the attack. They just can't function as a normal person anymore. You claim his argument has no validity because he hasn't been mugged? well don't talk about rape as though you know something about it.

I'm not saying it's the same thing in any way. It's similar in the sense that it is a crime that makes you feel helpless. Similar does not in any way equate it to be the same. All stars are similar, they aren't all the same. We're similar because we visit the same website. Sorry if you misinterpreted that, but there it is. Also, please be a bit friendly before flying off the handle man. Granted, I'm guilty of it now and then but I wish we could all be more civil.

Also, yes I know a rape victim. I dated one and she was an emotional wreck for quite a while. I don't know if she's over it yet, or if she ever will be.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
You Want a schematic to a hidden blade? You can make one for 60 bucks?

I've never been mugged, but I know enough Parkour and martial arts that I would at least be able to clear a path, or climb to a rooftop and go from there. The best way to avoid a confrontation though is to double back and find a new route, preferably one with a lot of witnesses in the general area.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing like that has ever happened to me but I know someone who has been raped. It happened behind one of our towns local Chinese take-a-ways.

The guy threatened to kill her if she told anyone but she couldn't keep it a secret. She told her mum (my mum's friend, which is how I know them) what happened and contacted the police and the guy is now in jail.

It happened a few years ago, I don't know the whole story in great detail she's not exactly happy to talk about it. All I know is that she was raped and the accused was found guilty.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Atheist. said:

I hate to be the skeptic but, I have a hard time believeing any of that. I'll try to present my reasons for thinking so in organized points...

1.Your wording sounds a little off. One second you had seen a group of people, and the next, you shoes had been stolen? I can understand not wanting to get bogged down on details but... damn.

2. How did you know that they were gonna target your wallet next, and than toss you off a bridge? (Which by the way, most petty criminals don't do, mostly because nobody wants to get 25 to life for a pair of nikes.) Did you hear one of the pack announce aloud: "Imma steal your wallet, and toss you off of this here bridge!"?

3. You fought off "The Big Guy", escaped their "Control" and jumped off of an overpasse, and onto a moving train? Cmon, that does not happen. It just doesn't. And 20 feet? If we were playing cards, I would call bullshit.

4. Look, I'm not trying to be a douche, but, it doesn't matter how skilled you are at your obscure self defense practice, nobody puts up a good fight against more than 2 people at a time. I'm guessing it was more than 2 since you used the word 'group', but you didn't specify. Odd.

Do I beleieve you were mugged? Yes. Do I believe you exaggerated? Hell yes.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
ExaltedK9 said:
Atheist. said:

I hate to be the skeptic but, I have a hard time believeing any of that. I'll try to present my reasons for thinking so in organized points...

1.Your wording sounds a little off. One second you had seen a group of people, and the next, you shoes had been stolen? I can understand not wanting to get bogged down on details but... damn.

2. How did you know that they were gonna target your wallet next, and than toss you off a bridge? (Which by the way, most petty criminals don't do, mostly because nobody wants to get 25 to life for a pair of nikes.) Did you hear one of the pack announce aloud: "Imma steal your wallet, and toss you off of this here bridge!"?

3. You fought off "The Big Guy", escaped their "Control" and jumped off of an overpasse, and onto a moving train? Cmon, that does not happen. It just doesn't. And 20 feet? If we were playing cards, I would call bullshit.

4. Look, I'm not trying to be a douche, but, it doesn't matter how skilled you are at your obscure self defense practice, nobody puts up a good fight against more than 2 people at a time. I'm guessing it was more than 2 since you used the word 'group', but you didn't specify. Odd.

Do I beleieve you were mugged? Yes. Do I believe you exaggerated? Hell yes.
I know it's a long thread, but pretty much all of your questions have been answered at some point, so I'm not going to bother typing them up again. If you're really curious just read through the posts I've made here. There are plenty of them, and I replied to all of the quotes I got that were serious questions.

One thing I didn't answer was that I suppose they may not have tried to go for my wallet. But why wouldn't they? And yes, I basically did hear one of them mention to another about tossing me off the bridge. Didn't hear anything about the wallet, though. Also, Krav Maga isn't really obscure. It's a special forces training. Specifically for fighting more than one person. I was against five. Didn't win.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Holy sardine Batman! You should've busted out your shark repellent bat spray!

On topic, no, never been mugged myself. A few of my friends have, but they were all drunk and nothing serious was taken/no injuries occurred.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
That sounds terrible, and you made a very awesome escape. lol

I'm glad you weren't seriously injured and managed to make it home alright. Fortunately, I've never been mugged.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Atheist. said:
Err, I don't recall saying train station, and if I did, my bad. It was simply a bridge overhanging a railroad track with the station nearby, but not within eye or earshot.

Also, Fox News fired someone for refusing to air a fake story a while back. If I recall correctly the tried to take Fox to court but failed. That court ruling allowed them to keep the name Fox News, even though some of their content is "Opinionated Content" or something like that. I think it was in Florida, but it was a bit back.

I'm clearly guestimating on the train speed, but I figured it was going about cruising speed on a bike, so in that ball part. I only threw that number out so people wouldn't assume it was some train going like 60 or some shit, because if that was the case I'd probably have gotten ran over. For industrial trains, they usually don't have much in the way of staff. That and it's at night. Also, I didn't wait for the train to stop, I simply bailed in an area that looked least painful, like I said, it wasn't going fast.
Now see that sounds more believeable. I'm still partially hanging on the skeptic side, but that's a gut feeling and all reasoning backs up your story, soooo I'm gonna deal with indigestion as I take back what I said. Also you're using Fox News as an argument as if they're a news reporting station...it's a personal joke, but I had to laugh.

Anyway please make sure you have told the police of this event then, like I said, maybe next time the others won't gang up on the batman but a human being instead...yikes...

Jun 16, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
I've been mugged quite a few times (EDIT: I should also say that I live not that far outside of Pittsburgh, which is a large city, so crime is rather plentiful if you're ot careful), and honestly its surprising me cause the people that jump me all know me and what I can do.

No matter whats happened, I've always walked away, and more times then not, I've left broken men behind me. I think the worst mugging I had was four guys, the smallest having to be 185 lbs (I was 155 at the time), tried to jump me. The first one tried to fist fight me, but i wound up broking his arm in three different places. So his friend tried to grab me, while another pulled out a switchblade. I broke the one that was holding me's knees and cracked three ribs. When the one with the knife tried to hit me, I wound up breaking his arm, both legs in the femur and tibia, and cracked his head while he was on the ground. The fourth just stood there and I guess weighed his options, cause he just laid down the knife and walked away.

I ended up coming out of it with a bruised thigh, a small cut on my arm, and sore shoulder.

Twilight.falls said:
I got mugged once.

The story:

I was walking home from work. House is about a 10 minute walk, but I don't mind, I enjoy walking.
A few minutes from home, and this (must've been 30 or so) guy comes out holding a knife. Says he wants my money. Preferring not to get into a fight, I hand him my wallet (which never has more than $40 in it at a time). I thought he'd leave me alone. He didn't. He attacked me, went straight for my throat. I decided I am not going to die. He draws the knife closer to my neck, I grab his hand and turn it for his throat. Stabbed him. Didn't stop pushing until the knife stopped against what was either his spine or the concrete below us.

The guy was dead. I never thought that I'd ever kill anything, let alone another person. I turned myself in to the police. I showed them to the body, I was let off because they said it was self-defense, and the man was buried.

Later on I learned who the man was. Name was Keith. Apparently he was homeless, but people around town knew he wasn't right in the head.

I try to tell myself that I was in the right. Other people say I was, but I don't think so. I can't forgive myself for taking another man's life. Still haunts me to this day.

Feels nice to talk about this. Kind of cathartic.

Here's a fun game: one of these stories shows evidence of clinical psychological illness. Which one is it?

Here's my mugging story:

I was walking out of an off licence, and an old homeless guy came up and asked for spare change, and I walked past him, so he got a knife out of his pocket. But he kept it folded up inside his fist, so I knew it was there, but it was discrete. Then he asked for change again, so I gave him all my change. And then he said "bless you sir" and I gave him a dirty look and left. The end.