So, I started a Let's Play...

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
MGlBlaze said:
Sober Thal said:
Just read the comments left on your Youtube channel. Cause we all know Youtube posters are right on.
Plese tell me that was a joke.

OP;
I will say that doing a Minecraft LP means you aren't really off to a good start, though since you're doing challenge maps it's more tolerable than just LPing stand-alone Minecraft. It's just a really over-done thing and the game would possibly make it difficult to keep entertaining commentary going.
Yeah, I considered doing a standard single player minecraft, but I know that takes a LOT of talent to pull off. For now, I only plan to do co-op challenges, which are at least not so overdone.

ZombieGenesis said:
Minecraft and Fallout 3? Fantastic choices, you've gained points from me.
Though I've already seen a F3 run, and I'd probably only buy into it if there are interesting mods involved... actually I should get on with releasing my own videos, I bought an £800 pc especially for that purpose.

Minecraft though I will watch regardless! I'll give you feedback when I've watched them.
Good luck dude.
Thanks for the compliment :)
Actually, if I decide to stick with FO3, I probably should do some mods, I hadn't even thought of it... thanks!

Flailing Escapist said:
Enthusiasm up
Sarcasm down
and you've got some pure gold there.

*subscribed*
Awesome! I'll do my best to sound... happier about the whole thing.

My only real performance experience is with stage acting, so I'm working to iron out the kinks in my vocal commentary.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Are you considering any other games in the future? Something I've noticed LPers doing is making a list of their 'current' and 'scheduled' projects. Not only can this lure in more viewers if you're planning one of their favourite games, but it also keeps you focused and working towards a goal. Might be a good bit of motivation for you.

If you're new to mods and have any problems just message me, I've spent more hours working on modding F3 than I've probably spent playing it... I really like mods.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
Are you considering any other games in the future? Something I've noticed LPers doing is making a list of their 'current' and 'scheduled' projects. Not only can this lure in more viewers if you're planning one of their favourite games, but it also keeps you focused and working towards a goal. Might be a good bit of motivation for you.

If you're new to mods and have any problems just message me, I've spent more hours working on modding F3 than I've probably spent playing it... I really like mods.
Well, I do want to do some more games, including lesser-known ones. If you have any suggestions, that would be very much appreciated :)

And yes, I love mods too... oddly enough, I've always modded the brains out of the elder scrolls games and such, yet never modded the Fallouts (silly me!). Thanks for the offer of help, and I'll be on the lookout for quality mods :)

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
playlists
That's... very odd. It (and the page format) show up fine when I'm logged in, yet if I go to a browser where I'm not logged in, It's just the default, without playlists...

I'll look into it, and contact support if I have to. Thanks for telling me!

newguy77 said:
Dr_Horrible said:
Impluse_101 said:
Always have something to talk about.
I will keep that in mind... I try to remind myself, but it's like my brain shut's off when being filmed :)
It could help you to have a friend or something in the room basically as an avatar for the audience you'll be talking to.

Otherwise, good luck. I've kind of wanted to try an LP, but I don't have a capture card and don't want to try it enough to buy one.

EDIT: Also your name is Dr. Horrible and that's awesome.
Thanks for the advice! I can't have someone in there all the time, but i have a very good imagination :)

Also, Dr. Horrible is one of my all-time favorite movies :D

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Well, I might as well post it here since it's tangentially related to my channel...

Has anyone had, or know how to, fix an issue with Youtube wherein featured (or public at all) playlists don't appear for anyone but yourself? It's a real issue for me, and I would appreciate some advice.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
My internet is horrendously slow, so I cannot watch your vids at this time. However, I might point out that going to your YouTube Channel(at least for me) is resulting in a 404 error. The link in your OP is broken, and going directly to your channel from YouTube.com both result in the same error. It might be just me, but I thought it was worth noting. I can't tell what platform you're performing your Let's Play on, so my suggestions may or may not be possible. Do note that I only own a PS3, so that's where my suggestions come from, so ignore me if mine aren't possible.

Personally, I would do a Let's Play for my favorite games. I would do one for the Sly Collection(all three games), Outland, Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden Sigma/Sigma 2, and *possibly* Dragon Age: Origins. Popular or not, I would suggest going for a Let's Play of a game you really enjoy playing. When you're having fun playing the game, you'll have more fun with the actual Let's Play itself, and personally I think the commentary will come easier, and sound better. This isn't to say you don't enjoy the games you're doing now, but I mean for future Let's Plays.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
My internet is horrendously slow, so I cannot watch your vids at this time. However, I might point out that going to your YouTube Channel(at least for me) is resulting in a 404 error. The link in your OP is broken, and going directly to your channel from YouTube.com both result in the same error. It might be just me, but I thought it was worth noting. I can't tell what platform you're performing your Let's Play on, so my suggestions may or may not be possible. Do note that I only own a PS3, so that's where my suggestions come from, so ignore me if mine aren't possible.

Personally, I would do a Let's Play for my favorite games. I would do one for the Sly Collection(all three games), Outland, Demon's Souls, Ninja Gaiden Sigma/Sigma 2, and *possibly* Dragon Age: Origins. Popular or not, I would suggest going for a Let's Play of a game you really enjoy playing. When you're having fun playing the game, you'll have more fun with the actual Let's Play itself, and personally I think the commentary will come easier, and sound better. This isn't to say you don't enjoy the games you're doing now, but I mean for future Let's Plays.
That's odd, the channel and the link connect fine for me. I am, however, having some issues with the channel (playlists don't show up for anyone else, even though they're public), but thanks for the heads up.

Sadly I do not own a ps3, I would absolutely love to do let's plays of the sly games. Thanks for the suggestions, I wish I could use them :)

r0kle0nZ

Apr 2, 2011
Besides the typical High Game audio, I would have to agree to the other comment on enthusiasm. Being quiet isn't that great gave that advice before >.>.

Keep the conversation a flowing, This may be because of my own Let's Play videos or my taste on Let's Play videos, but I love people who just talk, or ramble, about junk. Like me, cough my youtube cough. Keep the Jokes a flowing!

GO TO MINE! CLICKITY CLACK [http://www.youtube.com/user/r0kle0nZ]

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
A teeny bit more energy would be good, and I would avoid talking over the cutscenes, but other than that, it's good.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
r0kle0nZ said:
Besides the typical High Game audio, I would have to agree to the other comment on enthusiasm. Being quiet isn't that great gave that advice before >.>.

Keep the conversation a flowing, This may be because of my own Let's Play videos or my taste on Let's Play videos, but I love people who just talk, or ramble, about junk. Like me, cough my youtube cough. Keep the Jokes a flowing!

GO TO MINE! CLICKITY CLACK [http://www.youtube.com/user/r0kle0nZ]
Okay, I'll try to transfer my conversational rambling skills to the microphone :)

Tdc2182 said:
A teeny bit more energy would be good, and I would avoid talking over the cutscenes, but other than that, it's good.
Thanks for the complement, and I'll keep that in mind for the let's plays.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
Dr_Horrible said:
ExiusXavarus said:

That's odd, the channel and the link connect fine for me. I am, however, having some issues with the channel (playlists don't show up for anyone else, even though they're public), but thanks for the heads up.

Sadly I do not own a ps3, I would absolutely love to do let's plays of the sly games. Thanks for the suggestions, I wish I could use them :)
Well, not all of them are PS3 exclusive. Just Sly and Demon's Souls, that I'm aware of. :x I know Ninja Gaiden's also on Xbox, and Dragon Age has an Xbox, PS3, and PC version. Not sure about Outland, though. I think that's also XBLA. Were my internet fast enough to load videos in a reasonable amount of time, I would happily check out yours. I've considered trying to do a Let's Play, but I sadly do not own an effective way of recording videos.

Gorobrin

Mar 16, 2011
On you're minecraft lets play's unlike most people you spend alot of the time thinking about what you do while most people just jump in and think about what they will do as they are doing something else. that helps to keep alot happening for the viewers. but I'm gonna subscribe. You seem like you could make some good let's plays

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
ExiusXavarus said:

Well, not all of them are PS3 exclusive. Just Sly and Demon's Souls, that I'm aware of. :x I know Ninja Gaiden's also on Xbox, and Dragon Age has an Xbox, PS3, and PC version. Not sure about Outland, though. I think that's also XBLA. Were my internet fast enough to load videos in a reasonable amount of time, I would happily check out yours. I've considered trying to do a Let's Play, but I sadly do not own an effective way of recording videos.
I'm a pc gamer, though I would love to own a PS3. As for recording, there are several fairly good free programs out there. Something like Debut video recorder works pretty well, and you can always do screenshot let's plays.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Gorobrin said:
On you're minecraft lets play's unlike most people you spend alot of the time thinking about what you do while most people just jump in and think about what they will do as they are doing something else. that helps to keep alot happening for the viewers. but I'm gonna subscribe. You seem like you could make some good let's plays
Thanks for the complement, and I think I'm getting over the 'do, don't think' hurdle. Just finding my legs and getting a little experience :)

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
Dr_Horrible said:
ExiusXavarus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
ExiusXavarus said:

I'm a pc gamer, though I would love to own a PS3. As for recording, there are several fairly good free programs out there. Something like Debut video recorder works pretty well, and you can always do screenshot let's plays.
Any way to rig it up to record on my laptop, what is playing on my tv screen? I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything. I, however, am gonna go to sleep. Not feeling well. :{ Good luck with your Let's Plays. :}

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
ExiusXavarus said:
Dr_Horrible said:
ExiusXavarus said:

Any way to rig it up to record on my laptop, what is playing on my tv screen? I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything. I, however, am gonna go to sleep. Not feeling well. :{ Good luck with your Let's Plays. :}
Thank you, and (for when you see this)I'm not sure of how it works, but if you have a camcorder or some compatible A/V cables, you ought to be able to connect the tv to your laptop or camcorder and record from that.

Good night.

Verdilian

Jan 8, 2011
A new starting LPer 'eh?

I'll be sure to watch your videos soon. Especially your Fallout 3 one. I never played the Fallout series games, so it'll be a nice learning experience for me.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Verdilian said:
A new starting LPer 'eh?

I'll be sure to watch your videos soon. Especially your Fallout 3 one. I never played the Fallout series games, so it'll be a nice learning experience for me.
Thanks, and the games are definitely worth a buy :)

I would try lp'ing the original 2 fallouts, but I'm terrible at them. I may consider doing a New vegas playthrough as well though.