So I want to try some anime...

silverdragon9

Aug 25, 2009
i thought big o was great. and desert punk is pretty cool if a bit overplayed in the sex and language department.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
I feel like -any- I suggest won't be taken, but~

Minami-ke
Soul Eater
Working!!
Ichigo Mashimaro
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
Seto no Hanayome
To Aru Majutsu no Index

I don't intend you to really get into many of these, but if you did, that'd be just awesome.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmm.

Rurouni Kenshin while pretty deep at times mixes its action, drama, comedy, and romance REALLY well.
The manga is much better but its a great place to get into anime.

G Gundam
The Big O
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood
Buso Renkin

All these are great Anime to get started with.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Thaius said:
Full Metal Alchemist is a good one to start with. Death Note as well.
Yup. Naturally I'd be beaten to it. Great starter animes. I think Cowboy Bebop is really easy to get into for people new to anime too; it's largely episodic, and the (male) characters are fantastic.

For a follow up to those 3 I'd very much recommend Claymore. Some phenomenal character development, couple with some of the best fight scenes I've seen in anime. Also, as I often say in these threads, the Teresa of the faint smile arc is flat out some of the best shit I've ever seen.
Pure win.

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009
Watch this: It's Two Vids, but it's just ten minutes long

Congratulations, you have just watched every anime ever made. EVER

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Good animes to start with...

Gurren Lagann
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Naruto
G Gundam
Tenjho Tenge
Gungrave
Big O
Monster(If you want a good suspenseful anime)
Tenchi Muyo/Universe/In Tokyo (3 series, all with the same characters, all being srot of like alternate universe versions of the same idea. Kinda weird, but good.)

Oh, a few others, but that's many days with of entertainment right there...

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Cheveyo said:
spartan231490 said:
I suggest buso renkin. really fun, really good, and only 26 episodes. very toonami like as well. one of my favorites
See, THIS is an underrated anime.

Berserk, not so much. Too many people like it for it to be underrated.
How can buso renkin be so underappreciated? i don't get it. It is made of 100% pure awesome. It could only be better if it was remade to encompass more episodes, with a slower development(IMO). but i prefer epic anime.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Samurai Champloo. Its got a good english dub, is funny, and has gore.

Baccano. Its set in America, so its not heavy japanese

Black Lagoon. Set in the South China Seas. Its awesome
spartan231490 said:
Cheveyo said:
spartan231490 said:
I suggest buso renkin. really fun, really good, and only 26 episodes. very toonami like as well. one of my favorites
See, THIS is an underrated anime.

Berserk, not so much. Too many people like it for it to be underrated.
How can buso renkin be so underappreciated? i don't get it. It is made of 100% pure awesome. It could only be better if it was remade to encompass more episodes, with a slower development(IMO). but i prefer epic anime.
I actually couldnt get past the first 12 minutes of the first episode. It got bored
then my friend showed me some later episodes, and they were cool, so I might give it a look later.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Krythe said:
Watch this: It's Two Vids, but it's just ten minutes long

Congratulations, you have just watched every anime ever made. EVER
I fail to see how those covered anime like Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Tekkaman Blade, Sword of the Stranger, Monster, Ghost in the Shell:SAC 2nd GIG, or Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood.

Really those vids covered only about a third of Anime.
:)

silverdragon9

Aug 25, 2009
[/quote]
Outright Villainy said:
Thaius said:
Yup. Naturally I'd be beaten to it. Great starter animes. I think Cowboy Bebop is really easy to get into for people new to anime too; it's largely episodic, and the (male) characters are fantastic.
of course edward is a girl

Chronarch

Oct 31, 2009
Let's see: Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, and Yu Yu Hakusho are all pretty nifty.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
silverdragon9 said:
Outright Villainy said:
Thaius said:
of course edward is a girl
Wait, are you saying you like Ed?
Why does everyone like Ed?

It actually puzzles me quite a bit, I've never disagreed with so many people on something before...

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Outright Villainy said:

It actually puzzles me quite a bit, I've never disagreed with so many people on something before...
Join the club. I've never really understood the obsession with Ed either.

On topic: Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist and Baccano! Personally, I didn't find Cowboy Bebop to be anywhere near as good as it's made out to be, but it's still very good and makes for an excellent first anime. FMA and Baccano! are both excellent choices for your first few anime series as well.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Princess Robot Bubblegum - YES!

OT though; Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist and definitely Fooly Cooly/Furi Curi/FLCL are an excellent starting point. FLCL's only 3 hours long which makes it a very manageable investment of time.

Akira and Neon Genesis Evangelion are both giants of the genre but could be a bit off-putting if you're not already a fan (lots of awesome violence in Akira but lots of just plain mean violence too, lots of dense artsy pretense overshadowing the narrative at the end of NGE). Same goes for a personal fave of mine: Ninja Scroll - the best swordfight choreography I had ever seen at the time of my first viewing but way too much rape to recommend it as a starter.

The Read or Die movie might be a good place to start too if you're into seriously goofy stuff.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Alpha1089 said:
Outright Villainy said:

Join the club. I've never really understood the obsession with Ed either.

On topic: Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist and Baccano! Personally, I didn't find Cowboy Bebop to be anywhere near as good as it's made out to be, but it's still very good and makes for an excellent first anime. FMA and Baccano! are both excellent choices for your first few anime series as well.
Yeah, I wouldn't say Cowboy Bebop is anywhere near the best, but it's definitely a good start, and it's very accessible.

I've heard good things about Bacanno actually, I've been meaning to check it out. Is the Dub any good? I usually prefer Dubs if I can get them, and they're not awful.