So IGN decided to ask "why do people hate EA"

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
I used to have a lot of respect for EA. when I'd boot up a game and the EA logo came up with the 'challenge everything' quote I'd get super excited, I'm not sure if EA was genuinely better a decade ago, or if I've become jaded, but I've made my peace that I'll never play another EA title as long as they are primarily about making money, not great games.

it's the difference between "we want to make great games and to do that we need money" and "we want to make a lot of money and to do that we need to sell games"

seriously, EA can go mind it's own business in its corner of the internet, and I'll go mind mine... on steam...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
KarlMonster said:
I want to say that I can treat EA fairly. But I'm currently playing Need For Speed World. The developers seem to spend all their time coding the virtual cars, and none at all improving the client software. There appears to be no movement at ALL on the issue of security/account hacking. Not to mention that the in game global chat has been non-functional for... is it two months now?

I couldn't make this stuff up.
I was wondering why no-one was talking on that game for so long. But it's not really a surprise there's so many issues. Black Box are incompetent, or they're just being overworked by EA. They're probably already well in to working on the next NFS game, despite the fact they have shown over and over they aren't able to create a quality product for ages now.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Dexter111 said:
I believe the gaming world would be better off without Activision and EA, maybe not bigger or more profitable, but certainly better off in the long-term.
I agree. It would also please me to know that I contributed to their demise in some small way by sticking to not buying their games. Ultimately this is the end result of all the chatter about these companies, we want them to go away. I don't people talk about this part of it as much because they can't even imagine it. But that's the goal, put EA out of business and try to support someone better rising to take it's place.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Krantos said:
No. No, I don't think you understand. The average gamer does not enjoy getting nickel and dimed. They do not enjoy you preventing them from playing the games they PAID for. They do not enjoy watching you buy developers and drive them into the ground so you can buy another one.
"Gamers enjoy all these wonderful features"
"Sorry to have to break it to you, but gamers enjoy the games in spite of those features, not because of them"

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
If I were anybody from IGN I'd just shut my mouth. It's bad enough that they can't even review a game correctly let alone piece together an argument.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
I.G.N. should be asking, "Why do people hate I.G.N.?"

Since you'd have to have your brain slogging its mashed remains out your nostril to NOT be able to see why E.A. sucks, I.G.N. should probably focus on why THEY suck instead - if only to better themselves.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
CriticKitten said:
Now you do bring up a fair point of "why is there only one report", but your idea of "maybe it was an ad" runs contrary to that, since there's no way that an ad hijacked only ONE person on the entire internet to that website. So in order to keep pursuing the notion of "why is there only one report", you'll have to admit that the ad idea is extremely unlikely at best.
I dont' know what we are talking about, but I think I should point this out; but yes, you can force a single user (tho mostly set up to be random) to a specific different website instead of the normal website everybody else still goes too.
http://www.wired.com/business/2012/04/ff_abtesting/

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
TheKasp said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
I find it funny how he states that EA was voted the worst company in America because of nerd rage over the Mass Effect 3 ending, while in fact EA was voted the worst company in America BEFORE Mass Effect 3 was released.
Because there was no nerdrage going on over ME3 before ME3 was released...
He meant the nerdrage over the ending not the game in general.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Why do people hate EA? Oh where to start...

Oh and if you're going to ask someone why they hate Electronic Arts ANYONE would be better than Electronic Arts.

Thoric485 said:
So in my mind I can safely conclude the person who wrote this is an idiot, a shill or both.
Well it is IGN.

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
i am going to copy down that article, then whenever i get the urge to buy a game EA publishes i can just read the article become incredibly pissed off and save myself $120

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Main reason I don't like EA is because they seem to be completely motivated by money, ok so many, if not most, if not all publishers am motivated by money, they still have parts of them that seem to take pride in their work such as Kojima, Suda 51 and even Rockstar as they seem to have a bit of humour and a bit of a personal touch on their games, making it seem a bit more 'comfortable' (cor think of another word) to the gamer and to be fair I haven't seen any major glitches in their games. Whereas with EA they seem to just make a game, slap a title that they know people will buy on it and send it off without much thought put into it.

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
Sadly, i'm one of those who hold a grudge from their past actions, and will continue to hold them accountable for them.
Westwood, Origin, Bullfrog, etc.
The only way they can do good in my eye is to resurrect the Dungeon Keeper series and give me 3. No Kyberos want to be carp, but an actual Bullfrog IP DK3.

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
Speaking of which, isn't that the same asshole who made that 'Gamer Entitlement' video that nobody liked? Where he walked and talked like a douche?

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
10 Origin
20 Goto 10

Seriously, I know EA has pull over some of the more annoying additions to games they have developed for their own publishing and that is disappointing but not a deal breaker. My problem is when they expand out to try to absorb more money from other things. I can understand that Steam is pretty close to a monopoly on the PC gaming market but forcing everyone to abandon ship and require your big title highly anticipated games to run on a BETA VERSION of a precise Steam copy, except by default the keystroke to open the glitchy ingame browser is shift+F1 and not shift+tab. I understand the corporation stuff, make money and appease the shareholders but at least be human about it. Everytime I look at the racket Activision is running with the CoD yearly map packs I think EA isn't so bad, but I can't say they are innocent because they do the same thing with every popular american sport.

I still can't say I "hate" them because they did such great things at one point(Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault) and its hard to let them go, plus despite spending several weeks in a depression the Mass Effect series which was at least immersive enough to make me feel genuinely sad when it all went to hell in a handbasket for the last 5 minutes of the 120 hours of epic that was the majority of the series.

EA needs to stop trying to innovate and let their some of their developers do what they do best. Make good games and give them funding for new ideas, even if they fail like Mirror's Edge.

Sidenote: The best thing Origin did was make me realise Shift+F1 is a better keystroke for a menu because I often sprint and check the scoreboard on a steam game and get picked off while looking at the game over lay

Sidernote: F1 used to be the default button for most scoreboards, something horribly wrong/right has happened.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
AS someone studying business, the "corporations must make money" is an annoying line to see, because it's the most primitive description you can give. It's like saying a car is designed to house an engine - being able to do so is a necessary feature, but it's not the point of the car. The point is to get the people inside safely where they want to go and so too is the case with a business. You want to keep your company going because the goal of the company is something you believe in - a vision of how you want the future to look.

People buy into corporations because of those visions. They buy into Google because their vision is one that makes life easier and more convenient for everyone. People don't buy into EA because the only vision we can see them having is a Scrooge McDuck money vault and there are very few people who think that's a worthwhile goal. All our hate and their failures stem from there - they motivate decisions through money which leads to good studios being cancelled and both customers and IPs being exploited for all they're worth.

A few years ago they seemed to genuinely have something with the release of all sorts of original, creative games, and people were able to get behind that because we want to see that. Then they do stuff like releasing Origin and best anyone can tell their goal is to steal Valve's customers for their own profit and sell their personal info off to the highest bidder. Yay.

That's basically the deal - people have no sympathy for a company whose only goal is money, and such a company is inherently going to make decisions people are unsympathetic to.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Father: Timmy, it's time to put EA down.

Timmy: But why, dad!? Why?

Father: You have to be a man and see truths for truths. EA ate the neighbor's two dogs, and the puppy down the street.

Timmy: I know, but-

Father: And the local cat population is screwed.

Timmy: Yes, but-

Father: It got out of the gate and ended up giving an entire shelter of young animals parvo.

Timmy: But-

Father: Now that it's leaving absolutely rancid landmines on the lawn and biting small children for profit, not to mention the whole foaming at the mouth thing, you know it's time.

Timmy: ... Okay dad. I'll do it *gets gun*

... *bang*

Sorry, I'm just hung on the terrible dog analogy used to prove the guy's lucid point. That and 'dog' reminded me of 'big publisher buying developers and destroying them', which is why I hate them so much.