so i'm about to become homeless. help?

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Look for support from friends and family. There are support centers for this kind of thing too.
God job on the resume/cv, research the major places your applying too, makes all the difference Other than that...well, your fucked.
[sub]Man, some people just shouldn't have children. Notice how alot of the drama queen sluts from the 80's/90's are now completely fucking up our society by not raising their children right? I swear....[/sub]

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Dahni said:
long story cut very short:

my mum is throwing me out the house for various reasons
I'm 16.
That is utterly outrageous!

First of all there is the LAW to consider that I think your mother is unaware of:

http://www.askthefamilylawyer.co.uk/?page_id=44

Parental responsibility lasts until 18 and your mother could be breaking the law to throw you out at 16, but in that case you are likely not to stay at home but may be taken into care. I don't know, all I do know is do not suffer in silence, you may be at the age of consent but you are STILL A CHILD and deserve protection.

I suggest you contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau:

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

My grandad is a councillor for them and they do so much to help so many people as it is absolutely STARTLING how many people don't realise the rights and protections that are available to them

A mother has a responsibility to her son, and throwing him out on the street has never done anybody a damn bit of good, and for every One Rich Entrepreneur who says "getting thrown out at 16 did me no harm" I can show you a 100 thousand examples people in poverty who got a bad start in life and were not LUCKY ENOUGH to break out of it!

There are a LOT of dangerous people in the world and you, a young boy just desperate just for a place to sleep and something to eat is something no mother, no matter what, should put her son through. You not a lodger, you are FAMILY! Families stick together, my grandmother is now too old to care for herself yet to spite both my parents working full time jobs (and my Dad is posted overseas!) we are taking her in. No nursing home for her!

Is your mother completely naive? Even if the law was one her side (like if you were 18) does she not consider the hands she may be forcing her son into, of gangs and criminality or even worse? I'm not saying anything about the OP's sexuality but most male prostitutes turn to that out of sheer desperation and exploitation, some guy offers to take them in and gives them drugs, and it gets worse from there.

FIGHT this, make calls, tell your teacher and ask your school councillor what you can do in your situation. On the streets at 16 is something NO ONE should have to "get fucking used to" and it is not what out government wants and I think you will probably be able to get the help you need.

Edit: I just realised I assumed you are male, sorry but the same applies double if you are a girl.

FungTheDestroy

Apr 23, 2009
reg42 said:
It's illegal to throw someone out before 18 in most countries. You could try the "I'mma gonna sue yo ass" technique
Oh wow, agitate a money based problem with more money threats. Yay capitalism.

Your room is a mess? Here's a solution. Throw everything away. Stop being such a damn materialist. Sell it if you really care about money that much, but holding onto it all in hopes of making a bourgeois profit just extends the problem. Spend a good weekend just throwing it all away. Make a box of things your friends might like. Feel like you've just wasted a bunch of money? Oh well, really, you shouldn't have spent it on useless crap in the first place. (kind of extreme solution).

Second: Going to get forcfully kicked out? Screw that. Don't argue, don't yell, don't hit. Try peaceful resistance. It will piss the fuck out of your mother but really how much incentive can she honestly put against a person who is not arguing back, or physically lashing out. It's the equivalent to a sit-in protest. Forces you out? Sneak back in. make a ton of copies of your house key. Gets new locks? Barricades the windows? Live on the front lawn or doortstep. Make her look horrible, and you look innocent. It worked for the Indians against the British (yeah Gandhi's my inspiration). It could work for you. At least no one can say "she was a bad child, and deserved to get kicked out".

Seek legal help? Nah that's boring. This is a relationship problem between you and your mother. It needs to be solved. I don't know her, and have not read the entire thread, but I'm sure showing only love and compassion won't anger her more.

FORGIVENESS IS THE GREATEST WEAPON AGAINST FEAR. Getting the law involved will only make her angrier. Really if it moves in that direction it becomes a dangerous game of chicken. Forgive her and just try to live.

Don't set yourself up for failure. I say just don't talk about your future ever again. Just don't rely on her to pay for any of it when the time is right. The time is not right yet.

Edit: I read some more of this thread and all I'm hearing from is a mass society based on punishment, and the ideal that there is only the binaries of right and wrong. That someone has to be right, and someone has to be wrong; and the person who is wrong has to be punished or "set straight". I can't see truth, but I can see suffering. I can't see which is the right way to follow, but I can see that this system only causes tension and dissolves family love, in which the government law is above family understanding. A system where any trouble is resolved through separation and reparation, not understanding, forgiveness, and love.

Be Ironic. Think, "does this have to be the only way?"

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
I was thrown out at 16 for not cleaning my room and for "mouthing off" (All I said was "OK in a minute") by my Father he didn't even live with my Mom and hadn't for 5 years. I feel your pain. My Mom did nothing. I was homeless and slept in a park for a week until an old friend seen me and took me in until i got on my feet, nearly a year later. I hope this works out for you, really I do. I'm glad so many people on here are trying to help you. It's nice to see after all the nasty forums I've seen over the years.

Sorry I can't give you any better advice other then, keep your chin up life gets better. All the good advice has already been given =P

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
Contact the citizens advice bureau and the local government. No matter how bad the government is seen in the papers they can still offer help like temporary accomodation in some cases or even some benefits till you get on your feet. I feel for you man.

Atoli

Feb 1, 2010
Foyer? You get benefits to pay for it and to live as long as youre at school in full time education.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
hmmmm

well theres a couple of things

either find a friend or relative
contact the police
or go to a church (Religious or not most of them will take you in)

jymkata

Jan 25, 2009
Oh, being homeless is okay if you prepare yourself in advance.
Go and play Condemned: Criminal Origins, that should take the edge off.

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
Well appaerntly your mom really doesnt care about you enough if she's gonna throw you out at 16. No one at 16 can make it on thier own without having to steal or break the law just to get by.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
So what happened? Did you make any calls and arm yourself with tasty and delicious knowledge? I hope that you got some answers to your issue and do recommend contacting CAB or Welfare Rights in your area who will act as your advocate in seeking aid from your local council.

Personally, if I was in your place and got kicked out then the mother would become dead to me and I would never see her again. I really do not agree with the belief that we all have some kind of profound relationship with our parents by default.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Dahni said:

my mum is throwing me out the house for various reasons i'd rather not list.
I'm 16.
I don't have a job.
my only source of income is £30 a week from my school & £40 a month from my dad (which will now, likely, stop)

help?

I don't even know what I'm expecting you guys to tell me, but help anyway?

& please don't tell me to try reason with her because she CANNOT BE REASONED WITH.

EDIT:
why i'm getting chucked out:
Because my mum found out what I'm planning to do after my 6th year of high school (I'm in 5th year right now), because I'm planning to go to Download festival, and because my room is messy because I've been clearing out my drawers & stuff. Throwing me out is an over-reaction, I suppose, but she really doesn't give a shit.

I was planning to go to a university near London because it's well known for being good at providing the course I'm after. Moving from Glasgow to London is a pretty big jump for me. This set her off and she told me that I'm "going to need the fucking practice".
The First IMMIDIATE thing is to talk to a person fo your school who's job it is to help you or a person who you trust.

Anything alse comes after this.

I know it will probably sound stupid to you in your situation, but keep a clear head and take on the problem, don't let it slip, keep on working the Problem

Otherwise i wish you good luck.
I am shure you will make it.

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
Treblaine said:
Not true, if the OP is scottish as it seems, under Scottish Law at the age of 16 you are considered an Adult and if you are living at your perents home and they tell you to leave, the authoritys can do nothing to stop it. Personaly by the sounds of it as the OP has'nt made any further reasons as to why she is being kicked up it sounds like the reason maybe monumentaly dumb like 'I'm leaving school to be a reality TV star' or some bollocks. What I say is like a few here who have made sense have said, grow up. Don't go to Download, get a job or higher education and treat your perents with some bloody respect if they have had enough of you to point where they are about/going to throw you out then you've done something they find truly unacceptable and you either need to grow up or accept the conciquenses of your actions to your perents who have probably spet a hell of alot of money on your and perhaps your education.

In short, stop bleeting about here, drop the Download festival idea and kiss your perents asses and do what they say.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Well ... I was out of the house at 16. But I had a job. That's kinda the pivotal issue here. It's not so hard to find roomies in a shared accomodation, but that only works if you have the money to pay for it in the first place.

1: Don't get upset, or angry. Don't be thinking of university or any of that. That shit isn't important right now. What's important is somehow getting a little funds behind you and finalising your affairs (e.g School, family, friends, etc) to work out if there are any solutions there.

2: You've already told us you can't really find work. But is there ABSOLUTELY nothing you can think of? Military service for example ....? It's not ideal ... but it's something.

I feel for you girl ... even though I had alot of work behind me, juggling 50+ hours of work and High School was tough. It doesn't get easy even if you do have a job. Employers don't pay you a pittance when you're underaged either.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Dahni said:

my mum is throwing me out the house for various reasons i'd rather not list.
I'm 16.
I don't have a job.
my only source of income is £30 a week from my school & £40 a month from my dad (which will now, likely, stop)

help?

I don't even know what I'm expecting you guys to tell me, but help anyway?

& please don't tell me to try reason with her because she CANNOT BE REASONED WITH.

EDIT:
Because my mum found out what I'm planning to do after my 6th year of high school (I'm in 5th year right now), because I'm planning to go to Download festival, and because my room is messy because I've been clearing out my drawers & stuff. Throwing me out is an over-reaction, I suppose, but she really doesn't give a shit.

I was planning to go to a university near London because it's well known for being good at providing the course I'm after. Moving from Glasgow to London is a pretty big jump for me. This set her off and she told me that I'm "going to need the fucking practice".
Wow, not trying to sound mean or anything, but your mom sounds like shes kinda a *****,

OT: the University sounds like the best bet, if it where me, i would go there and cut all ties with your mom.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GeekFury said:
Treblaine said:
Not true, if the OP is scottish as it seems, under Scottish Law at the age of 16 you are considered an Adult and if you are living at your perents home and they tell you to leave, the authoritys can do nothing to stop it. Personaly by the sounds of it as the OP has'nt made any further reasons as to why she is being kicked up it sounds like the reason maybe monumentaly dumb like 'I'm leaving school to be a reality TV star' or some bollocks. What I say is like a few here who have made sense have said, grow up. Don't go to Download, get a job or higher education and treat your perents with some bloody respect if they have had enough of you to point where they are about/going to throw you out then you've done something they find truly unacceptable and you either need to grow up or accept the conciquenses of your actions to your perents who have probably spet a hell of alot of money on your and perhaps your education.

In short, stop bleeting about here, drop the Download festival idea and kiss your perents asses and do what they say.
Well excuse me but that means Scottish law is completely out of whack.

So from 16 to 18 they are largely "non-citizens" without the protections of being a child yet without most of the rights of an adult, though it seems to be true, that doesn't mean it isn't 100% bullshit if you ask me.

A Parent's responsibility is from cradle to the grave, preferably the grave where you don't bury your own child. Kicking someone out on the streets is ABSOLUTELY NOT A GOOD THING!! It serves only one person: the selfish desires of the parent.

Look, you are NOT, simply no way in hell, going to find a good job that will pay well for the rest of your life at only 16 years old on the streets:

(1) no one wants to employ a "child"
(2) at 16 you only have your GCSE grades, not even A levels and no degree
(3) part time work is being edged out by migrant workers
(4) people don't want to hire someone who doesn't even have a residence

This is not the way to start off in the world, you need to STAY IN SCHOOL till 18 to get a proper education then apply for an apprenticeship or go to University to get a degree, preferably in a vocational course.

There is only one job a 16 year old can easily get on the streets, and that is prostitution.

"What I say is like a few here who have made sense have said, grow up"

Oh on the streets they'll grow up fast, pimps will love to find a vulnerable 16 year old and take advantage of them. Give me a fucking break, 16 is still a fucking child, I don't care about the age of consent, it is still no where near mature enough to make it on your own in the world.

Look, a child can be as unreasonable as they like, PARENTAL LOVE IS NOT CONDITIONAL, babies cry and poo their pants, well sorry but a Parent can't just kick the baby out when they don't want it any more. Same with a teenager, sure they may be lazy and feckless, but you HAVE to keep supporting them to make them productive members of society, i.e. ensure they get a proper education and a start in a proper sustaining career.

You can't keep going to school while living on the streets. Kicking out at 16 denies them an education that is pretty much VITAL to get a decent career, remember, the UK is in the EU with an open labour market now, with millions who are ready to travel for low pay, long and hard hours in unskilled labour. Getting a good education is SO important.

I don't care WHAT the OP may have done or is acting like, it is PURE SELFISHNESS for a parent to abandon their child to a life of poverty and vagrancy for ANY reason.

Yes, throw all his games and toys away, fine, if the Parent REALLY is that angry at their child, make them sleep on just a plain mattress in a bare room and eat nothing but gruel... but don't turn your back on them. Don't give up. Ever.

I mean my grandmother is a crotchety old woman, a creationist of all things, but to spite how awful she is we are not going to abandon her now she is getting too old to care for herself, families look after each other. no. matter. what.

Families who don't look out for each other... well then they're not really family, they just happen to share DNA slightly more than the general population.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Dahni said:
EDIT:

Your edit better be the true reasons for why you're being kicked out, because my flame below and complete sympathies for you sort of fly on that premise. You have been given advice on what to do: talking to your school and social services etc... and I'm sure you'll find a solution. Good luck with that; I hope your parents will someday see reason.

GeekFury said:
What the fuck? Going to Download and having a messy room is "truly unacceptable" enough for parents to disown their own child!?! ARGH! What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Did you just arrive from Victorian England? Seriously... I'm lost for words...

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I was in this situation 2 years ago last week. Try to contact a cousin or something, explain the situation and ask if you can crash there for a while. Then start to look for a more permanent solution. Glasgow does have hostel places for young people who have run away from/been kicked out of their homes. Try to contact the Quarriers Organisation as they run several.

Quantana

Dec 3, 2008
i almost got kicked out a couple of months ago. i stayed at a friends place for 2 days and after that my mum called me up (crying) and pretty much begged me to come home.
but guessing it's worse in your case start with asking for advice at school and if that doesn't help try social services. and if nothing works you can stay with me even though i live in Holland so you have to swim a lot and then walk a very long time.
no seriously start asking help at school then move on to social services.