so i'm about to become homeless. help?

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Yay, I have posting rights again! anyway....

Have you tried getting a job?

Also, try homeless benefits or whatever they are.... I don't know the specifics but if you go to the jobcentre or something they could probably tell you. Anyway I know a few people in simmilar situations and they somehow ended up on some homeless register thing where they get a B&B paid for them untill they get given a flat (the flat takes about 1 - 2 years to come btw).

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
thiosk said:
because I'm planning to go to Download festival, and because my room is messy because I've been clearing out my drawers & stuff
Seriously? A tame-sounding music concert; and a messy room?

I don't buy this at all. NO ONE gets truly kicked out for a messy room and plans to attend a concert at 16. You suck it up and don't go to the concert, you have your 18+ years to be an angsty loner and when you live with any parent you submit, gracefully, and bide your time until you are on your own.

Using nail guns on kittens, taxidermy, santeria, beating your siblings half to death, severe drug use, constant theft-- these things could conceivably get you kicked out.

HAI MUM I WANNA GO TO A CONCERT LOL O BTW MY CLOTHS ARE ON THE FLOOR

does not equal kicked out of a house. There are deeper issues here OP is glossing over and is only providing enough information to turn this into a pity party.
unfortunately, i'm not hiding anything.
i wish i could say i was but seriously, those three reasons are all she's citing.

I literally just went through to her room & from outside her door i heard her talking on the phone to someone about how she can't wait to get rid of me and start turning my room into a room for her boyfriend's kid.

think what you will, but i was not after pity.
i was after advice.
that's why I did not provide the reasons why initially, because i knew SOMEONE would assume it was some kind of cry for attention. I just wanted information on what to do with myself for the time being until I go to university. The reasons why I found myself in this situation are irrelevant.

Mushroom 118i

Jan 21, 2009
One little thing, Download isn't quite as tame as it's being made out to be. It began as "Monsters of Rock", and is usually a mainstream metal festival, though it's metal credentials have gone down slightly. It's still a place of drunken rock and roll mayhem though.

But still, your mum is overreacting. If she does kick you out, go stay with a friend and she'll take you back in a couple of days. She's still your mum, she gave birth to you over all, it sounds like an argument that got out of hand.

Hell, this is if she ACTUALLY ends up kicking you out.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Does the Salvation Army have any offices around your way, they normally have shelters you can stay at indefinitely as long as you don't go missing for 3 days, they will keep a room open for you to stay at during the night.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
cjbos81 said:
Three words: JOIN THE ARMY.
Problem solved.
This. if there is any chance your mom might be bluffing, this will get her attention. if not, enlist, its a great experience.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
theownerer said:
you get money from school?
yeah, EMA. because I'm of school leaving age, I get a benefit for staying on longer than I legally have to.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Dahni said:
long story cut very short:
why i'm getting chucked out:
Because my mum found out what I'm planning to do after my 6th year of high school (I'm in 5th year right now), because I'm planning to go to Download festival, and because my room is messy because I've been clearing out my drawers & stuff. Throwing me out is an over-reaction, I suppose, but she really doesn't give a shit.

I was planning to go to a university near London because it's well known for being good at providing the course I'm after. Moving from Glasgow to London is a pretty big jump for me. This set her off and she told me that I'm "going to need the fucking practice".
If this is the only reason it seems... excessive.

Obviously if this is a heat of the moment comment which im sure all of us here have had something over the top said too us or by us in the spur of the moment if so the situation will hopefully resolve itself.

However if this is the thing that tipped your mother of the edge then i assume it could be a long standing problem between yourself and your mother in which case it is a more serious problem.

Of course there has been lots of good advice on here but for someone of only 16 this sort of stuff.. well you shouldnt have to deal with this AT ALL and i really feel for you i do. The best course of action if your mother actually truely means what she says then would be to seek help initially from someone at school.

I say this because it is the easiest place for you to gather advice as you go there all the time anyway, use this resource im sure people at the school will give you advice, perhaps help mediate for you and your mother about this situation. Also they would be able to give you lots of guidance about where to go next and people to see.

good luck.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
Mushroom 118i said:
One little thing, Download isn't quite as tame as it's being made out to be. It began as "Monsters of Rock", and is usually a mainstream metal festival, though it's metal credentials have gone down slightly. It's still a place of drunken rock and roll mayhem though.

But still, your mum is overreacting. If she does kick you out, go stay with a friend and she'll take you back in a couple of days. She's still your mum, she gave birth to you over all, it sounds like an argument that got out of hand.

Hell, this is if she ACTUALLY ends up kicking you out.
I'm aware of what Download is like.

she's told me to get out of the house before she gets home from work tomorrow evening, so yes, I am getting kicked out properly.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
theownerer said:
Yep. If I'm correct, stay at 6th form and you get paid for it.

You also get paid to go to college.

That's how bad it is in the UK, we have to pay kids to make them want an education, whilst I'm sure there are countries out there that would give so much for one.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
Dahni said:
theownerer said:
yeah, EMA. because I'm of school leaving age, I get a benefit for staying on longer than I legally have to.
Nice well im 19 been living in my apartment for a few months and its awesome. I suppose it would be hard to do while going to school at the same time but if you can find a job and a small apartment youl be way better off.

Joshdemon

Oct 23, 2009
Not that I know anything about you or your family, but it might be her subconsciously making you leaving for uni easier on her (it's easier to not miss someone if you've had an argument with them)
I would agree with the "stay at a friend's house" thing. I've been kicked out a few times recently, for a week at a time. Good parents won't turn you away if you have nowhere else to go and might even help mediate with your mum. Good luck man

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
cjbos81 said:

Problem solved.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Honestly, the military was always my back-up for everything. Almost enlisted a few times, got as far as the recruiter once. Still is an option if anything should happen to my job for whatever reason, actually.
Don't have a plan B? Answer: The military.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Dahni said:
I literally just went through to her room & from outside her door i heard her talking on the phone to someone about how she can't wait to get rid of me and start turning my room into a room for her boyfriend's kid.
I wonder if I was the only one who thought "bloody hell, what a ****" when they read that.

I admit that when you started mentioning concerts and dirty rooms that it was an over reaction (eg hearing about the music festival might have pissed her off if you guys are brassic as tickets have a cost). But her remarks about getting rid of you make me wonder if they are just excuses for her to get her way. In which case, she should hang her fucking head in shame.

I noticed a fair bit of good advice in this thread in terms of people who can help you with homelessness if she goes through with her threat. In England local councils have a duty to aid people who are declared homeless. I would guess that Scotland is the same. Time to read around the subject on line, write down some numbers and understand what your rights are. As a young female you are very much in an at risk group when it comes to living rough and I would hope your regional council will step in. But you have to get the ball rolling even if you just start to make enquiries. Unfortunately none of us here can really help you, you have to help yourself and that means getting information and using it.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Acctually after reading some of the other replies, something that Ive done before....

If it's unlikly that your mates would be able to/want to let you crashat theirs because you got kicked out then just constantly do a circiut of them under the guys of just staying over normally.

It would be a good way (i think) of buying you some more time untill you can make one of the other solutions work.

And as for all the people going on about legal issues... this is Scotland... things dont work that way here.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Dahni said:
mastranios said:
Lol I'll be sure to do that.. Some ****** ass site who cradles this kids balls for him. What a bunch of saps.
what balls?
i have no balls -_-
That is truly exemplar. Worst trolling attempt ever, kids.

Couple of questions I've got:
1) You mentioned she was angry about your choice of future (or something), is this to do with her not liking your choice of course of study?
2) If no to the above, is it really just wanting to go to Download and a messy room? You haven't been stealing to fund your Cadbury (lol, spell-check suggests "Cadmium") Creme Egg addiction or anything like that?
3) If there's really no other reason, is your mum a psychopath with a drinking problem? That'd clear up the motives pretty nice.

As far as advice goes I'd suggest with the jobs is take anything on offer (also go to the job centre etc). It'll probably pay shit but if they like you they might give you overtime which is where the real money is at. Stay at a friend or somebody you know, but of course it'd be best to help out with the bills etc so you stay motivated to move on up. Don't leave school, it's kind of essential. I'm guessing you're doing scottish highers, if so what? (I'm curious)

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Baby Tea said:
cjbos81 said:

Problem solved.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Honestly, the military was always my back-up for everything. Almost enlisted a few times, got as far as the recruiter once. Still is an option if anything should happen to my job for whatever reason, actually.
Don't have a plan B? Answer: The military.
Im confused why people think this is a sensible suggestion, i under stand 18 year old lads who have a history of being a troublemaker people say, put him in the army it will straighten him out.

But people really are saying to a 16 year old girl... your about to become homeless join the army.

Personally i think there are better routes she can take to help with being homeless.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Dahni said:
long story cut very short:

my mum is throwing me out the house for various reasons i'd rather not list.
I'm 16.
I don't have a job.
my only source of income is £30 a week from my school & £40 a month from my dad (which will now, likely, stop)

help?

I don't even know what I'm expecting you guys to tell me, but help anyway?

& please don't tell me to try reason with her because she CANNOT BE REASONED WITH.

EDIT:
why i'm getting chucked out:
Because my mum found out what I'm planning to do after my 6th year of high school (I'm in 5th year right now), because I'm planning to go to Download festival, and because my room is messy because I've been clearing out my drawers & stuff. Throwing me out is an over-reaction, I suppose, but she really doesn't give a shit.

I was planning to go to a university near London because it's well known for being good at providing the course I'm after. Moving from Glasgow to London is a pretty big jump for me. This set her off and she told me that I'm "going to need the fucking practice".
Your mum sounds like a quote machine.

But, really, if you're underage, you should call the cops. Period. That is plain illegal.

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
If I was you I would:

First: Find a nice big box.

Second: Find a nice warm/dry environment.

Third: Set up a home.

Fourth: Try to get a job.

That is what I would do.