So I'm digging out my old PS1

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
MediEvil 1 and 2. Love the humour, love the gameplay, love the varied levels.

And pick up Croc 1 and 2 if you want a charming, Mario-esque platformer with a crocodile that says "Kasplah!" all the time.

Pharaoh66

Jan 9, 2010
Spyro 2 now that is a name i have not heard in ages. That was my childhood game, last time I played it I remembered it so well that i 100% it in a day

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
Tallim said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Tallim said:
Nope :(
Although you can use a USA account to get it. I've still got my import copy from way back when so I'm good and yes it's a terrible thing for it to never have come out here. As I was saying further up, IMO the best games of the PS1 era never came out in the EU. Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile. We got none of them.
**eyes widen**

That is... so sad. Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross too? That's horrific? What did people in the PAL region play?! Other than American copies of those games, I mean.
I know right! Chrono Cross was particularly annoying and part of the reason I imported in the end and it turned out to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Oh we also didn't get Einhander :/ and I LOVED that.
When corporations screw you over by not releasing amazing games in your territory, Piracy is your friend. Plus PSX emulation is insane right now, more so given you can easily use an actual DualShock3 to play the games wirelessly.

That said, I also just generally condone piracy when it comes to old games. In a way they're like works of art, and should really be kept free to the public, but the publishers still want to make more, and while with cult classics that would be understandable as the product missed it's market initially, but it seems like only the games that easily made back their cash are getting ported to modern systems. I guess what I'm trying to say with this paragraph is that games won't be art until we treat them like art rather than a corporate commodity.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
About the only 2 games I still play regularly for the PSX are FFVII and Crash Team Racing both were and are absolutely brilliant yet to be bettered in their respective fields imo hence why I still play them.

Blood Omen still holds up really well and is a great game to boot (although you can get it as freeware on PC but not sure if that has all the cutscenes), Vib Ribbon was also fun but not sure how much you will get out of it as it is pretty limited if charming game. Metal Gear and the special missions disc are also worth a look much better than every metal gear since imo and the VR missions were brilliant (the special missions disc are all Vr mission add-ons if I rememebr correctly and I loved doing all of them).

Dont get Ghoul Panic if flashing lights make you go into seizures its a fun lightgun game if you are looking for any of those but bloody hell I thought my eyes were going to start bleeding on the stupid vampire boss its like watching an old C64 loading screen cranked up to the max with those effects they used in that segment.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
vasiD said:
Tallim said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Tallim said:
Nope :(
Although you can use a USA account to get it. I've still got my import copy from way back when so I'm good and yes it's a terrible thing for it to never have come out here. As I was saying further up, IMO the best games of the PS1 era never came out in the EU. Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile. We got none of them.
**eyes widen**

That is... so sad. Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross too? That's horrific? What did people in the PAL region play?! Other than American copies of those games, I mean.
I know right! Chrono Cross was particularly annoying and part of the reason I imported in the end and it turned out to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Oh we also didn't get Einhander :/ and I LOVED that.
When corporations screw you over by not releasing amazing games in your territory, Piracy is your friend. Plus PSX emulation is insane right now, more so given you can easily use an actual DualShock3 to play the games wirelessly.

That said, I also just generally condone piracy when it comes to old games. In a way they're like works of art, and should really be kept free to the public, but the publishers still want to make more, and while with cult classics that would be understandable as the product missed it's market initially, but it seems like only the games that easily made back their cash are getting ported to modern systems. I guess what I'm trying to say with this paragraph is that games won't be art until we treat them like art rather than a corporate commodity.
I've already said I imported the games and a USA ps1 at the time....

I'd also edit the crap out of that post or you are going to get smacked by the mods for openly condoning stuff no matter how old it may be.....

njrk97

May 30, 2011
Future Cop: unknown game but dam it is fun. It got great story mode co-op a vs mode the normal story mode and is just a heap of fun.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
So far I've learnt that of the few good games on the PS1, even fewer are available PAL and all cost a fortune.
What a depressing time.

I love you guys though

Austin Mcgough

Dec 4, 2011
Here's one I'm sure nobody will recommend, if you want to play the most polished and insane shmup ever PICK UP EINHANDER. It's amazing but hard, very very hard.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Duke Nukem 3D (Not sure if the Atomic Edition is on PS1 as well or not.)
Spyro 1 and 3
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, and 3
The Legend of Dragoon
Toy Story 2 (No, it's seriously an excellent game; the best film-based game I've ever played)
Metal Gear Solid
Devil May Cry
Frogger and Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge (might be more comfortable on PC)
Rayman 1, and 2
Tomb Raider
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
Ape Escape titles
Silent Hill titles
Final Fantasy titles
Resident Evil titles
Gex titles

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
A couple of you guys have VERY fine taste.
Recommendations LIKE A BOSS.

MegaMan 8
Megaman X3&4 and possibly 5&6
Megaman Legends 1&2
The Misadventures Of Tron Bonne
Xenogears
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevannia Chronicles
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver & Blood Omen
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Azure Dreams
Thousand Arms
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Metal Gear Solid
Diablo
Breath of Fire 3&4
Brave Fencer Musashi
Alundra 1&2
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
DarkStalkers 3
Harvest Moon: Back To Nature
Legend of Mana
The Legend of Dragoon
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Monster Rancher 2
Worms Armageddon
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
I'd definitely recommend the Crash Bandicoot series. I fairly recently went back and played it for the first time since 98, and realized why I loved the game so much as a kid. It honestly holds up very well.

I saw Legend of Dragoon mentioned, and I'd agree that it's worth a look. It definitely could have been much better than it was (really bad translation and too easy if you know what you're doing), but I loved that game to bits.

And if nothing else, Legend of Dragoon gave us the single greatest attack in the history of gaming.

Yeah, that just happened.

nefrone

Jun 12, 2010
I can only think of a few that I haven't seen so far. You guys are awesome.

Bushido Blade
Parappa the Rapper
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus

EDIT: Except that Abe's Exodus was mentioned in the original post. Yay me! xD

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Crash Bandicoot 3. Graphics hold up. Gameplay is perfect.

Aside from that... Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy IX (and I'm not even a Final Fantasy fan), Twisted Metal 3, and the WWF Smackdown! games (1, and 2: Know Your Role).

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Legend of the Dragoon is an awesome RPG. Check it out if you're still into the old school turn-base RPG combat and exploration.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
lRookiel said:
Doitpow said:
What games still hold up/should I get?
on my list so far are

soul reaver
Final fantasy VII
Final fantasy VIII
Spyro 2
Xeno gears
Castlevania: Symphony of Night
MDK
Abes exxodus
Silent hill

Also anyone know a cheap place to buy PAL ps1 games?
MEDIEVIL! NOW!
NOW!

There is no excuse for not playing Medievil, it's fucking amazing!
And...end of thread. Thank you, sir/ma'am.

But seriously. Go get it now.

Also, the Legend of Dragoon, Tomba, MEGAMAN LEGENDS 1 AND 2 D:<, Crash and Spyro 1, 2 and 3, Ape Escape, MGS (Maybe, I don't know why I feel like it hasn't aged well) and FFIX. And maybe FF Tactics if you're into that style.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Furbyz said:
I'd definitely recommend the Crash Bandicoot series. I fairly recently went back and played it for the first time since 98, and realized why I loved the game so much as a kid. It honestly holds up very well.

I saw Legend of Dragoon mentioned, and I'd agree that it's worth a look. It definitely could have been much better than it was (really bad translation and too easy if you know what you're doing), but I loved that game to bits.

And if nothing else, Legend of Dragoon gave us the single greatest attack in the history of gaming.

Yeah, that just happened.
Oh my gawd! As a kid, I never realized that! Right in the childhood! The vah jay jay of doom! Why would you do that to me? WHY?! ;_;

But seriously, I'd also recommend Legend of Dragoon. It was pretty original in many ways, like the combat style and the map traveling. But...the voice acting was just...bad. But you can't hold it against it; voice acting in games was kinda new back then.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go cry myself to sleep. IF I can ever sleep again.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I'd add Final Fanytasy IX to that list... it also depends on what you are looking for in a game, we can all tout our favourites, but unless you have certain criteria it's all just do much fluff.

I have quite a few PS1 games, across various genres, my favourite series after FF is the spyro the dragon series and crash bandicoot

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Just a fair warning. Wild Arms 1 and Soul Reaver glitched on me so bad that I was unable to finish either without restarting the game. Keep multiple saves if you somehow can (I don't remember the exact save system they use). I can't emphasis this enough. They're both killer, awesome games but they do have some serious programming bugs.

I see one person mentioned Front Mission 3. It's a really sweet playstation game. Please, please try it. You wont regret it, I promise. Also Jet Moto 2 is really fun, if you can get past the graphics (they didn't hold up so well).

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Medal of Honor + Medal of Honor: Underground

Also Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and the newer Wipeout games