So I'm digging out my old PS1

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Well, the Crash Bandicoot series (including Crash Team Racing) and Spyro have already been said multiple times... [sub]Seriously though, try out CTR.[/sub]
Try out Future Cop: LAPD, great game that's really fun co-op. I played it recently on the PSN, and it holds up.
Talking about fun co-op games, Team Buddies was fantastic. I can't really think of how to describe it. Cartoony third person shooter(?)... I recommend checking it out.
Though I didn't used to like playing it on my own, Poy Poy 2 was one of my favourite VS games. Problem is, that it was quite rare, and I'm not sure about which regions it was released in.

And Tekken 3, my own personal favourite game from that gen.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
Games I lost or disc no longer worked, I got off ebay (in Australia). Not always cheap though.

I recommend:

Metal Gear Solid
Medievil 1 & 2
Dino Crisis 1 & 2
Resident Evil 1 2 & 3
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legend of Dragoon
Spyro 1 & 3
Abe's Odyssey
Crash Bandicoot 3

Godsfists

Mar 31, 2011
Guys i have two sealed Silent Hill 1 original black label copies, do you buy any chance know how much are they worth???

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Doitpow said:
What games still hold up/should I get?
Driver: You are the Wheelman (Driver 1).

That's it. That's all you need. best game on the whole console, and still handles better than just about any car game today. There's also never been a better game for getting in police chases. NFS isn't even close.

Oh all right, All right. You want more than just one game listed. Fine.

Driver 2

There. Two games for you right there. You're welcome.

EDIT: check it- it's a steal

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Definitely Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Hardly anyone knows about it but it's probably the best 2.5D adventure game on the PS1. I mean only one other person has recommended it in this thread and judging by the fact they don't expect you to find it, I'd say they're probably the only other person here who's played it.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011

Klonoa!
Get it now, I don't care how much it costs you.

And also:
Crash Bandicoot 3
Legend of Dragoon
Gex 3d [sub](a little tongue now, a little tail later)[/sub]
Klonoa, again... why the hell have you not got it yet.
Medievil (both)
Breath of Fire
Croc (all of them!)

Edit:
Nyaliva said:
I know the feel.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Resident Evil: Nemesis yet (sorry if anyone actually has).
Asides from that I can strongly recommend Koudelka (has 3 sequels on PS2 if I remember correctly), the Nightmare Creatures games and Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (I mention 3 specifically since that's the only title in the franchise I own). And if we're going on fighters I might as well throw Tekken 1-3 into the mix.

Oh, and one last one... FUCKING DINO CRISIS! COME ON PEOPLE!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
champy_fan said:
Spyro 3 is not nearly as good as 2 - having just played all three games recently, I can safely say that the first two are far superior
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Hold up.

Year of the Dragon is easily the best of the original trilogy. All of the worlds are fantastic and memorable (even the Speedways, which I personally dislike). Stewart Copeland outdid himself with the soundtrack. And multiple playable characters? Be still, my heart!

Now, I love the first two, don't get me wrong. But I've always seen the PSOne trilogy as being good, better, best.

OT: Spyro: Year of the Dragon, of course.
All three Crash Bandicoot games, plus Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash if you have some friends around.
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.
Bushido Blade.
PaRappa the Rapper.
Tekken 3.

And if you're still eight-years old like me, Digimon World/2/3 or Digimon Rumble Arena. Because Digimon.

Slvrwolfen

Sep 10, 2008
All the games I was going to suggest have been mentioned... But I'll just mention instead then, that Amazon UK seems to be the superior option for finding relatively cheap PSX games. I managed to snatch a few myself, such as *mint* Bloody Roar 1 and 2, good Gran Turismo..

I just wish I had an NTSC PSX so I could get myself a Legend of Mana...

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
And here I thought you were going to ask for recommended drills/shovels. I've come woefully underprepared.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Ghostwise said:
The only games that hold up well are ones with hand drawn sprites. FFVII is so horrendously ugly words cannot describe it. Still one of my all time favorite ps1 games but man alive that thing did not age well. Pretty much anything that uses 3d polygons looks like it came straight out of the depths of hell.
I'm playing through FF VII at the moment, and have VIII and IX to work through afterwards. I remember being blown away by VII back in '97 - it was a bit of a shock the first time I loaded it up again to realise just how awful the character models were. Once I got past that though, it's been as awesome as it was 15 years ago!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid

If games developers today took more cues from games like these, the industry would be so much better off.

If you have Dual-Shock controller:
Soul Reaver
Ape Escape

Really timeless games mainly for their FEEL, their pacing, sound effects and ambient music.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Beautiful End said:
Furbyz said:
I'd definitely recommend the Crash Bandicoot series. I fairly recently went back and played it for the first time since 98, and realized why I loved the game so much as a kid. It honestly holds up very well.

I saw Legend of Dragoon mentioned, and I'd agree that it's worth a look. It definitely could have been much better than it was (really bad translation and too easy if you know what you're doing), but I loved that game to bits.

And if nothing else, Legend of Dragoon gave us the single greatest attack in the history of gaming.

Yeah, that just happened.
Oh my gawd! As a kid, I never realized that! Right in the childhood! The vah jay jay of doom! Why would you do that to me? WHY?! ;_;

But seriously, I'd also recommend Legend of Dragoon. It was pretty original in many ways, like the combat style and the map traveling. But...the voice acting was just...bad. But you can't hold it against it; voice acting in games was kinda new back then.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go cry myself to sleep. IF I can ever sleep again.
If it helps, the English version is slightly edited. They turned blood black :D.

I do know how you feel though. I was 10 when I played this game, and as such, I did not comprehend what just happened. However, I do remember using it once with my mom in the room and getting weird looks... And Astral Drain is not much better than this, if you recall.

Yet, Rose is still my favorite character in that game, bar none.

Captcha: Gangnam Style...I can't escape it /cry.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
Final fantasy tactics ( original > remake if you like challenge )
Playing the PSP remake now and I am certain this is harder than the original on the PS1.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Godsfists said:
Guys i have two sealed Silent Hill 1 original black label copies, do you buy any chance know how much are they worth???
Quite a bit actually. Although there is some extreme variance in prices paid for it. I've seen like $40. I've also seen over $1500. Depends on the exact quality of them.