So is the Escapist dead?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, what we need to do is come up with a viral youtube meme about the Escapist. Then it will never die, at least for a year or two until it stops being funny.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Yep. It's so dead I can't get into contact with anyone to get my pubclub membership refunded.

Drakeaos

Jan 13, 2014
At least Defy had the balls to put Gametrailers out of it's misery as opposed to just letting the site and community starve to death

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Yep. It's so dead I can't get into contact with anyone to get my pubclub membership refunded.
You cancelled your subscription right?

Also if Defy ever offered a refund I'm sure its the sign of the end times.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Site started bleeding video content and the owner didn't work well with the editors, especially with GG compounding it. Slow decline and then a big issue like that put things in a downward trend and given alternate revenue streams became a thing there was no real reason for content creators to come back to it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I agree with the above post! The Escapist will always live on through the power of love! I'm doing my part, but the rest of you aren't believing hard enough!

Edit: The spam post is deleted now :/ Too bad, it was good. Something like "As long as we love and cherish it, it will never die. Buy my product"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
At this point the Escapist has a Dorian Grey painting in the attic, and everytime someone posts that the Escapist is dead and/or dying, the Escapist gets younger.

Pecola

Feb 16, 2018
IceForce said:
HK_01 said:
tippy2k2 said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.1024592-An-Open-Letter-to-The-Escapist-Community

Although even the letter is partially outdated as the Community Content is essentially dead in the water as most of us have lost our ability to post news and articles (which is why I stopped doing the "New Game Releases" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/171046-New-game-releases-for-the-week-of-December-17-2017] if anyone was wondering).
Does anyone know why the Escapist was gutted like this? It seemed to me to be one of the most well-known videogaming-related sites with some of the best content producers out there, so why was it decided to let everyone go, stop producing everything except the flagship format and let the site itself rot? It just seems like such a strange decision.
Because this site was tainted and became damaged goods after Gamergate. That's why.
Weird as that period was around the time I left, and today I randomly decided to look back after years of life shifting in other directions, to find out about this. Couldn't remember my old account if my life depended on it; didn't post much, mostly lurked.

I recall that time being chaotic in the forums. The place was turned into a front in that big internet war; it was ugly and unbearable when there were ten GG topics sitting at the top, flooded with posts. I was hoping for moderation then but I think history was in the making and couldn't be written differently. The internet just wanted a bloody war.