So.... Korrasami is canon.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Saetha said:
Venting my frustrations? I'm just bored out of my mind and killing time by posting on internet forums. If I had better things to do, trust me, I'd be doing them.
Heh! That makes two of us. About 90% of my time on the escapist takes place during really slow days at work.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ieyke said:
The Legend Of Korra is actually better than Avatar:The Last Airbender.
That's an opinion, not a fact. I can point you to many people, myself included who disagree with you entirely. I found the show very cliche and transparent in it's writing, and the main character more annoying than anything else. The supporting cast were mostly ok, though they all had their arcs of stupidity in my opinion. If Korra hadn't actually been in the Legend of Korra, I probably would've liked the show a lot more, but she was an annoying cluster of action girl cliches done wrong, and the writing staff never redeemed her in that regard. The show kept spending a lot of time telling me that Korra was this wise and gentle, kind and caring person, but then contradict it left and right by showing her doing stuff directly opposite to that statement. I never found the plots terribly intense or engaging, and felt the whole thing was just sort of going through the motions.

OT: Yeah it's canon, that's good I guess. Don't really care who Korra hooks up with, besides, going on the trend of this show, and how revolving door the relationships are. Korrasami will probably break up the first time they have some angry argument about something, and then they'll get back together, and then break up again, then date someone else for no reason, and then break up with them for no reason, and then go back to each other.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
ShadowRatchet92 said:
Well, those hoping for one of the first lesbian couples in animation got your wish.
Wasn't there a lesbian couple in Sailor Moon?
I'm pretty sure there was something with Mystique in the 90's X-Men cartoon.
The Simpsons and Family guy tackled lesbian couple themes before.

Those were just the ones I remember.

You need to watch more animation :D

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
HardkorSB said:
ShadowRatchet92 said:
Well, those hoping for one of the first lesbian couples in animation got your wish.
Wasn't there a lesbian couple in Sailor Moon?
I'm pretty sure there was something with Mystique in the 90's X-Men cartoon.
The Simpsons and Family guy tackled lesbian couple themes before.

Those were just the ones I remember.

You need to watch more animation :D
sailor moon did have an lesbian couple, but as far as i know they were cousins in america (at least in germany they never talked about that inside the show, it was very ambiguous).
x-men counldnt tell you either way and for simpsons/family guy, i would not count those as kidsanimation.
and thats what it is about.

korasami is realy new in that area (as far as i know/read in all those korasaminews).

i realy liked it. for me, it was a supprise, but im VERY bad at foretelling any story, im just flowing through a story i consume, i dont think that much about what might happen and dont often get subtle hints.

but it was soooo obvious in the show that they were gay/bi, the only reason they didnt make it even clearer is because they couldnt do it in a kidsshow/didnt have the balls ot let them kiss. at least thats what i got from it.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
gandhi the peacemake said:
Saetha said:
And also seriously? "The characters told us where they wanted to go?" No, that's not how you write. Good writing needs planning. I feel like this attitude explains so many of LoK's flaws.
I once planned out a story that intricately wove two seemingly disparate story threads together. Once I got to the writing part, it quickly became apparent that each thread worked better as its own standalone piece. I'm not sure why you're so against things not going according to plan.

If you've written for any significant length of time, I find it hard to believe that you've never experienced this yourself. You try to write a character to fit certain plot points, and that character fights you from the word go. You either force the plot point and the character develops inconsistently or let the character go and figure out a different way to deal with the plot point, sometimes omitting it altogether.

Saetha said:
Meh, I can't even care enough to get mad.
And yet here you are, venting your frustrations. :)
If your characters are good enough the writing evolves them. Heck that was Hideki Kamiya's and the character designers explanation for why Bayonetta had short hair in the sequel. To them she felt like a woman that wouldn't stick with the exact same thing for very long so they got rid of the long hair and gave her short hair.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Ishal said:
Saetha said:
As I understand it, Bryke thought they wrote the relationships perfectly back then, and were genuinely surprised at the blow-back the romance got.

If the first two seasons of Korra taught me anything, it's that Airbender was a team-effort and Bryke either haven't got much talent on their own, or severely depend their editors to throw out their bad ideas.
Korra's entire relationship with Asami is saying passing compliments, stuff you would say to each other at a board meeting. "Hey nice hair today" "Hey looking good man" "Hey I got you some coffee you look tired" If we're arguing all those 'hints' were supposed to lean toward Korrasami. Then ships like Tenzin/Korra have just as much if not more merit.

Korra and Asami spent less time together in the course of four books than almost every other main character on the team. It amazes me that they saw fit to end with them 'together'There really is no indication that they are romantically interested prior to the finale. Especially if you compare that with all the other romances. Every other Bryke romance is beaten to death, then beaten some more before it becomes canon. There is no subtlety when it comes Bryke and romance.

Korra and Asami would meet up for one episode, talk, then Asami would be gone for two episodes while Korra ran off with Make, Lin, or Tenzin. You're telling me they couldn't have her around more to show this supposed interest? C'mon. It's not like Asami was busy off developing as a character, either. The one issue she had throughout the series was that she wasn't on good terms with her father, and she struggled a bit with her company in the second season.

I'm not arguing if Korrasmi is canon. I'm arguing the method by which they did it was atrocious.

Bryke can only be trusted to make something good if they have a good team. TLA compared to the now complete LoK is proof of this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
There were events and character interactions over the course of 4 seasons plus the 3 years during which Korra only communicated with Asami during which their relationship developed. Bolin eats one meal next to Opal and he starts a romantic relationship. There's no controversy over Bolin x Opal, so why is there so much more criticism directed at the Korra x Sami relationship?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
ryukage_sama said:
There were events and character interactions over the course of 4 seasons plus the 3 years during which Korra only communicated with Asami during which their relationship developed. Bolin eats one meal next to Opal and he starts a romantic relationship. There's no controversy over Bolin x Opal, so why is there so much more criticism directed at the Korra x Sami relationship?
Maybe because Bolin was confirmed in-universe? All that KorrAsami got was a bit of hand-holding and walking together into some kind of light(haven't watched it) and a letter from the creator telling everyone "It's totes real guyz, anyone that thinks differently is a biggot".

There's been fan-fiction about this type of crap, nobody cares that it happened, everyone cares that nothing was confirmed in-universe and everyone immediately jumped to conclusions and the Avatar writing team hasn't had the best track record with romances(TLA is forgivable, they're all kids after all), but Korra is billed as this teen/adult thing and the romances are even worse than TLA somehow. They're bad enough that they detract from everyone's enjoyment in one form or another of the few good points the show had.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Roofstone said:
I am surprised nick was onboard with Korrasami. Guess they get a "Not as huge a dick as you were some months ago" medal.
I would say that's more the creators making it ambiguous for them to not be able to say anything about it rather than them giving the thumbs up.

It was cleverly done. And in a world where we're all quick to claim our levels of tolerance but as a larger team too scared to piss off the angry super PC group of intolerant bigots for fear of loosing all the money. This is the only way it could have been done for a 'kids cartoon'.

Hopefully it's a step forward in the long walk to normalizing same sex couples.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Redryhno said:
ryukage_sama said:
Maybe because Bolin was confirmed in-universe? All that KorrAsami got was a bit of hand-holding and walking together into some kind of light(haven't watched it) and a letter from the creator telling everyone "It's totes real guyz, anyone that thinks differently is a biggot".

There's been fan-fiction about this type of crap, nobody cares that it happened, everyone cares that nothing was confirmed in-universe and everyone immediately jumped to conclusions and the Avatar writing team hasn't had the best track record with romances(TLA is forgivable, they're all kids after all), but Korra is billed as this teen/adult thing and the romances are even worse than TLA somehow. They're bad enough that they detract from everyone's enjoyment in one form or another of the few good points the show had.
Speak for yourself. The depictions of relationships, both happy and dysfunctional, in Legend of Korra enhanced my enjoyment of the show. Sometimes we feel for the character's happiness, participate in their angst. That emotional involvement is part of the experience for many fans of fiction. I appreciate that the writers dismantled the Makorra relationship, demonstrating that the having the stereotypical high-emotion, strong physical chemistry just isn't enough to carry a romantic relationship long-term. And that a relationship built on compatibility, friendship and openness to each other can be the foundation of the strongest relationships, romantic, sexual and otherwise. Not everyone will enjoy it, and their lack of enjoyment isn't an indictment of bigotry. Unfortunately, bigotry is still part of the negative voices responding to the finale.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
A-D. said:
hermes200 said:
Yeah... not really much into Korrasami, to be honest.

Not that I have a problem with what many are calling "revolutionary" as the first confirmed lesbian couple in western animation (I can't remember another example, but I could be wrong and no, fan made couples like Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn don't count); but because it comes literally out of nowhere. There are very few (if any) hints that they are developing into something more than close friendship, and there are even less hints throughout the series that either of them leans that way, so all most people have in terms of confirmation are the last 2 seconds of the show and a letter from the director, in four years... and that is an awful way of handling it.

In a way, I would have preferred that Korra ended up with no romantic interest (because we know a female character can't have an narrative arc if she doesn't end up with someone) than one that was poorly developed and just thrown there, no matter how unconventional it is.
Its actually been ongoing since Season 2, but it has been very subtle, in a way that you could clearly argue that they are just close friends. But if you follow them specifically, you can see that they are growing closer over the course of the series and it really is only at the end of Season 4 that both seem to have realized that maybe there is something more than just close friendship. It is very vague though and you could argue both ways, i.e. are they gonna be a couple or not and regardless of the creator's intent you could just simply decide for yourself that they arent.

It is arguably better solved that way than forcing the issue by loudly declaring that they are now together. Relationships are much more complex then that. Hell even a Fan citing the whole "Well they both dated Mako" isnt really a reason as to why they cant be together. Being into your own gender doesnt mean you wake up one morning and realize that you are in fact gay, alot of the times its the realization afterwards like, you are with a guy or girl and somehow it just isnt working, so you experiment with the other gender and suddenly it clicks. Or it can be very.."romantic" in a way of say "Soulmates" in that you can fall in love with someone who shares your Gender, you love them for who they are, not because of what gender they have.

In short, if you want to think that clearly they are just friends, thats totally fine. If you want to think that they are going to be more, thats fine too. At least it leaves it open and doesnt force the issue.
I'm with you guys. I always saw the relationship as platonic and argued that with a few other fans until this declaration came out. I don't like the decision simply because I don't see why they have to make such a close relationship be romantic. It seems this decision is trying to say that if it's not sexual, then the relationship isn't really meaningful. I would have much preferred that she didn't end up with anyone and they just became good friends. Heck, Mako even had that one filler episode where he explained that after he broke up with both the girls he decided to figure out who he was without a lady in his life, and I was hoping Korra would have kind of the same sentiment, since this season was all about her coming to terms with everything that's happened and learning to move on.

But of course, when I try to explain this I usually get pegged as homophobic and brushed off.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
spacecowboy86 said:
A-D. said:
hermes200 said:
Yeah... not really much into Korrasami, to be honest.

Not that I have a problem with what many are calling "revolutionary" as the first confirmed lesbian couple in western animation (I can't remember another example, but I could be wrong and no, fan made couples like Poison Ivy/Harley Quinn don't count); but because it comes literally out of nowhere. There are very few (if any) hints that they are developing into something more than close friendship, and there are even less hints throughout the series that either of them leans that way, so all most people have in terms of confirmation are the last 2 seconds of the show and a letter from the director, in four years... and that is an awful way of handling it.

In a way, I would have preferred that Korra ended up with no romantic interest (because we know a female character can't have an narrative arc if she doesn't end up with someone) than one that was poorly developed and just thrown there, no matter how unconventional it is.
Its actually been ongoing since Season 2, but it has been very subtle, in a way that you could clearly argue that they are just close friends. But if you follow them specifically, you can see that they are growing closer over the course of the series and it really is only at the end of Season 4 that both seem to have realized that maybe there is something more than just close friendship. It is very vague though and you could argue both ways, i.e. are they gonna be a couple or not and regardless of the creator's intent you could just simply decide for yourself that they arent.

It is arguably better solved that way than forcing the issue by loudly declaring that they are now together. Relationships are much more complex then that. Hell even a Fan citing the whole "Well they both dated Mako" isnt really a reason as to why they cant be together. Being into your own gender doesnt mean you wake up one morning and realize that you are in fact gay, alot of the times its the realization afterwards like, you are with a guy or girl and somehow it just isnt working, so you experiment with the other gender and suddenly it clicks. Or it can be very.."romantic" in a way of say "Soulmates" in that you can fall in love with someone who shares your Gender, you love them for who they are, not because of what gender they have.

In short, if you want to think that clearly they are just friends, thats totally fine. If you want to think that they are going to be more, thats fine too. At least it leaves it open and doesnt force the issue.
I'm with you guys. I always saw the relationship as platonic and argued that with a few other fans until this declaration came out. I don't like the decision simply because I don't see why they have to make such a close relationship be romantic. It seems this decision is trying to say that if it's not sexual, then the relationship isn't really meaningful. I would have much preferred that she didn't end up with anyone and they just became good friends. Heck, Mako even had that one filler episode where he explained that after he broke up with both the girls he decided to figure out who he was without a lady in his life, and I was hoping Korra would have kind of the same sentiment, since this season was all about her coming to terms with everything that's happened and learning to move on.

But of course, when I try to explain this I usually get pegged as homophobic and brushed off.
Not what i was actually arguing. I think, based on everything in the Show, there is nothing romantic between Korra and Asami YET. To me, it seemed that over the course of the Series they were growing closer together, from rivals in love to friends to almost sibling-level affection for each other, they became basicly the bestest friends over time. However i like to think that when they both decided to take a Trip to the spirit world, for a vacation, that they both realized then and there that just maybe there is more than just friendship between them and that it was worth exploring.

Season 4 essentially ends with the potential that they are going to see IF there is a spark, a real one, between them and just maybe they will end up together. But its not on-the-nose. Its not forced in our collective faces that they are totally gay for each other now, it is left to interpretation. Because now you can decide for yourself how it panned out, maybe they remained friends, maybe the romance didnt work out, maybe it worked out. We dont know, the story ends there, for the moment. At least to me it seems a way out for the creators just in case they want to go somewhere else with the story, leave it at least a little vague just in case a better idea comes along. Hell we had the same with Katara and Aang at the end of Last Airbender, it was heavily implied but never outright stated until Korra came along.

Captcha: Less is more ..okay, Captcha summed that thing up perfectly.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Stopped following after season 2, they could have paired up Korra with one of them flying Bisons for all I cared about the way romance was handled in that series.

Actually the funny thing is I even said back in the day "way Korra's dealing with guys she should just go turn lesbian with that other chick and save us all some grief", it's like the authors stole their script from my sarcastic bitching.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
ryukage_sama said:
Speak for yourself. The depictions of relationships, both happy and dysfunctional, in Legend of Korra enhanced my enjoyment of the show. Sometimes we feel for the character's happiness, participate in their angst. That emotional involvement is part of the experience for many fans of fiction. I appreciate that the writers dismantled the Makorra relationship, demonstrating that the having the stereotypical high-emotion, strong physical chemistry just isn't enough to carry a romantic relationship long-term. And that a relationship built on compatibility, friendship and openness to each other can be the foundation of the strongest relationships, romantic, sexual and otherwise. Not everyone will enjoy it, and their lack of enjoyment isn't an indictment of bigotry. Unfortunately, bigotry is still part of the negative voices responding to the finale.
Of course I'm speaking for myself, where did I say I spoke for anyone else? Seasons 1-3 of Korra were awash with so many cutaways to the damn relationship crap when there's supposedly some kind of world threat going on that it lessens my, and my friend's, enjoyment of the series because you can no longer take it seriously when all the show focuses on is highschool level drama and a tiny bit on what the Avatar exists for.

TLA will forever be better because, yes, while it cutaway from the main plot alot(Lover's Hippie Cave and Sea Dragon Road everyone?), each episode developed the world, characters, and helped with the story and showed you the threat Ozai was. Korra can't do that because all it is is a bunch of being told one thing, doing another, and showing yet something else. That is why I consider Korra's handling of relationships childish at best, because there's a huge amount of tropes and cliches being used that you don't have to know much to predict exactly what's going to happen when it comes to that part of the show. It doesn't show adult and mature relationships, it shows the idea of adult and mature relationships. Not to mention they basically made Opposite Aang with Korra and then ended her arc basically the exact same way from what I'm hearing.

I didn't watch TLA for the ZuTara and TyKka shipping and lite-mance, I watched it because the characters were good, the jokes were funny, the action and animation were great, and it was smartly written without being patronizing. Korra didn't have much of the first, they backgrounded everyone that had the second, the third was there for whatever few times Korra didn't just get the win handed to her, and the fourth was nowhere in sight for me. It's still a great show, but it's not anywhere near the quality I expected of an Avatar series because there was alot of telling of development, and not alot of showing development, basically the same criticisms I level at RWBY and alot of other short-running shounen.

LifeCharacter said:
Redryhno said:
Except it was confirmed in-universe. Hand holding in the exact same way every other couple on the series holds hands, including those at the wedding that happened a whole five minutes prior (not to mention the staring into each other's eyes) while the two of them go on a vacation without any of their friends or family seems pretty unambiguous.

And the letter from the creator said that if you thought it was ambiguous or out of the blue then you should stop looking at things through an exclusively hetero lens, but why should I ever expect someone complaining about something to have actually read the thing they're complaining about?
Nice jab there, but you're sorely mistaken, I have read it. But why should I expect anything less from someone with an avatar of a character hitting their head so hard it spurts blood and probably causes massive brain damage?

Anyways, exactly how do you hand-hold without it looking like every other hand-holding in the history of the universe? I went on a vacation with a homo buddy of mine once as well without any other family or friends as well, does that mean we also evolved into a new state of being a couple at that point?

I'll agree that looking through a hetero lens can blind you to certain things, but considering that hetero-anything has become slang for bigot in certain parts of the internet, especially alot of Tumblr, can you really blame anyone for thinking that? I mean, it is pretty unambiguous when not viewed through the lens of naivete.

Now, if you'd like, we can drop the passive aggressive insults and actually discuss without them being involved in any way, shape, or form? Yes or no, we'll probably still hold them and tell them to ourselves and keep them out of writing, that is, if we're both adults....

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dirty Hipsters said:
Here's the problem, Nick never gave them the luxury of planning. From the start they never planned 4 seasons. Nick gave them 1 season, 12 episodes, and told them to make a thing. They made a single self contained story, a pretty good one, but one that was poorly paced because of how little time they were given to introduce all the characters, and the conflict, and to then resolve that conflict.

Then Nick decided "hey, that thing was pretty good, do another thing, here's your time-frame, and if it does well we'll give you 2 more." The second season was bad because they never got a chance to plan anything out. They hadn't planned for a second season and barely had time to finish it before the deadline. That's why season 2 is the weakest season, with bad character motivations and poor characterization. Everyone got hit with the "stupid stick" because the writers didn't have time.

They did however have time to plan out seasons 3 and 4 because they knew beforehand that they would probably get to make them. Seasons 3 and 4 are well planned out, well written, decently well paced, and in general have great characters and stories. Seasons 3 and 4 were the ones they had the most luxury to plan out and they did so. It's a shame you didn't give them a chance because you left the show at its lowest point, and it was at its lowest point because of the way the network treated it. The writers worked with what they had, and what they had wasn't enough. Nick kept dicking the show around and that's the reason for the quality problems.
I am so sick of this excuse that it's all Nick's fault for not being clear on how many seasons they would get. If this is true why was season 1 such a mess when they were apparently under the impression that they would only be getting the 12 episodes? Because 12 episodes is obviously too short a time to tell a decent story? Yeah, that's only 4 hours, which is longer than any movie and we all know that movies are notoriously bad at telling good self contained stories.

Season 1 was written like they were told they would have 3 seasons but only got 1. The pacing was so terrible. Why did they waste all that time on the pro bending nonsense when it had no relevance to the plot, didn't help Korra to learn airbending, and was just pointless filler? And all of the love triangle stupidity should have been cut to make way to give the far more interesting Amon more screen time. They wasted so much time on filler that all of the important revelations had to be hastily shoved into the last 2 episodes. The finale of season 1 was such a jumble of deus ex machina and character retcons that made a complete mess of the narrative thus far.

So you are trying to say that season 1 was such a mess as a self contained story because Nick told them they were supposed make a self contained story? I'm sorry, I didn't know that Legend of Korra was made in opposite world.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
ryukage_sama said:
That only demonstrates another failing of the show. A problem that it get's criticized for often. Show, don't tell. We're told about that. We never see it. We're told they were writing letters. That's not good. That's writing 101 stuff.

See, the problem is that not enough was shown. And that doesn't look good when all the other romances were shown, and rather blatantly. The only thing that happened to really show anything was the ending, and it was jarring to a lot of people.

There was nothing concrete leading up to this that would strongly indicate a romantic interest, rather than a just a normal friendship. And as others have done, when the things cited as evidence for their 'interest' are compared with similar actions toward other characters, it all comes up as platonic friendliness. They could have done more, they should have shown more. But they didn't, and that's why many people are calling foul.

Without doing more, and combined with that petulant Tumblr post, it only looks like one thing. Pure, blatant pandering.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Huh, well I'll be. They actually went and done it. "You magnificent bastard, I read your book!" But in all seriousness, well done guys. Well done. I didn't think they'd have the courage to go through with it. Wonder how the rest of the fans and general people will take it. Hopefully,this might start a trend.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
So I'll take this whole post as a no to my request that you act like an adult? Ok. I thereby claim victory and dominion over your lands for the foreseeable millennia.

But seriously, you're assuming I'm being offended for no reason on my part. But when you take into account that the post is on tumblr, with a not straight situation and characters, can you see where I'm coming from and read what is normally meant in said situations on stated platform? And to be perfectly clear, I'm not offended, just incredibly disappointed and annoyed.

I haven't watched the last season of Korra all that much and I have no intention of doing so anytime soon with this kind of attitude from some of the fans in this thread and the creator's posts on this.

There is nothing wrong with the KorrAsami pairing, and I really don't give a shit about it when there are far better things to worry about being written and drawn in fan-fic around these characters for years. But from what I've seen of the discussion and Korra's past when it comes to writing pretty much anything that isn't the main plot or villain that routinely gets thrown to the side in favor of shipping characters and doing half-assed romance, it comes up very short of the intended mark, or completely nonsensical.