So Long, and Thanks For All The Flesh

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Well, thanks for all the articles, they were great to read and a nice firm dose of common sense. We'll all miss these.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
"Don't stick it in the crazy"? Are you mad? Crazy is best.

You just have to find the right type of crazy.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Great, and all I can think about is this youtube video of someone screaming NNOOOO!

I'll miss you...

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
... <:,(

I'll miss your articles, they were fantastic, and it was an interesting feature to have on a gaming site. Best of luck in your other endeavours!

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for a bold and unique article. I found your view on things enlighting or at least taken from an unexpected perspective. Happy 2012! Let your future work add even more color to whomever you choose to share it with. :)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Lara Crigger said:
Let me put this to rest right here and now: Nothing nefarious is going on behind the scenes here. Love FAQ wasn't "cancelled", and no one on the editorial team is hiding any "failures" from you the readers. It really is as I said in the column: I decided that now was the right time to move on. Plain and simple. I will miss writing it, to be sure, but no goodbye is completely painless.

As an aside: 10-20 letters a week for a specialty advice column isn't exactly small potatoes, at least from the management side of things.
I'm sorry that you even had to weigh back in with this kind of thing. As a community, sometimes we're prone to emotionally acting our our own little confirmation biases -- "This was not my favorite, so obviously (in a roundabout way) that's the reason it's going," kind of stuff.

And on the numbers thing... it's as though people don't realize that a lot of that depends on people writing in with their deep, dark secrets and pains. A lot of people won't risk it, especially if they feel others might recognize the question (and hey, let's face it, paranoia lives in all of us, right?).

One might also consider that one article may have provided help to several people with the same problem, meaning they no longer needed to write in. While we find it tempting (as simple creatures) to let one number tell the whole story, it just plain doesn't.

This column provided something of a very different flavor from the other content, and that's never a bad thing. Of course we all know that people (especially Internet People) are far more likely to voice an objection than an agreement, so that skews the perception. And I know I was usually among those voices that could be considered "dissenting"...

...but, for me, that's only because the column raised many things worth discussing. And hell, it's the internet, not a shrink's office -- it's all just thought experiment and conjecture. More importantly, it can start conversations. About things other than which new game sucks the most, or what you'd do if the last item you used in a game was now your breakfast every morning, or something.

If you're leaving to pursue something new, I hope that it goes well. If you're leaving to focus on something that's already going, I hope it all works out. If you're leaving because your interests have changed, I hope you find enjoyment. Thank you for sharing with us.

Superbun

Sep 8, 2010
Not much to say here, but yeah you'll be missed. I've only just got through reading all of your columns, and I have to say that it has helped, while no specific piece of advice helped the general mood of the entries helped to encourage me. 'tis a shame that this came to an end so soon.

p.s. First escapist forum post!

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
While I still don't believe in the "Friend Zone" per se, for the most part you were dead on and i will dearly miss reading your column. We need more perspectives like yours!