So....Mass Effect 4

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'll join the droves of unimpressed Escapists who believe that a third-person shooter with a light drizzle of (optional) RPG mechanics is what's going to surface. Can't get the CoD crowd to think about putting points in a menu; that's just too hard for the average quick-scoping brain!

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
glchicks said:
Vault101 said:
is a happening thing

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/mass-effect-4-development-shifted-to-bioware-montreal-using-new-frostbite-engine/

AND being given to a different studio "Bioware Montreal" or somthing ( or BioWare?s new studio in Ubisoft Montreal which I'm guessing is a typo in the article)

well I suppose you could say "Bioware" isn't "Bioware" anymore and I can already hear people raging probably

I don't feel strongly about this because what I cared about (Shepard and other characters) is all said and done...for Mass Effect 4 I'll wait and see...with cautious optimism
I mean, if you liked mass effect 2, then EA is going to float your boat just fine from here on out. Its the Mass effect 1 fans who have cause for lament. You know, the people who care about compelling narratives and whatnot. And the machine keeps churning, and people keep not thinking
Yeah, how about those positive points about Mass Effect 1 that definitely weren't in the other two, that amazing driving system and those really fair difficulty spikes at random points in the game. Fans really have a lot to miss from it, don't they?

Dropping the sarcasm now because it gets old quickly, even for me, ME1 is by no means a bad game but it's certainly unpolished. The story and characters were great and it did have some moments in it that I still think of as being some fine moments in gaming but the gameplay does leave a lot to be desired.

Besides, I'm happy to see some more Mass Effect. They're good games with interesting lore behind them. If there's anything I'd like to see in the next set of them, it'd be furthering away from the military setting of the previous three and more towards the criminal underworld you get to see glimpses of occasionally as you help C-Sec or Aria. If we're distancing the next protagonist away from being another Shepard, having them not be in the military would be a good way to go about it.

captcha: panic stations

It's as if it already knows what I should be heading for with some of the flack I fear I'm probably going to get from this.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
And here is a picture of all the people who were surprised at this happeneing.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
They could stop faffing about and announce an Origins-style ME game where you can freely choose a race and class and get this over with. I reckon that's the only way to improve any further.

'Sides, can't wait for the completely inapropriate race-class combos. I'll only play two characters, a Krogan Infiltrator and a Volus Soldier.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Will have to wait and see later on in development how I like this idea.

sanquin said:
Going with a different kind of gameplay (wouldn't surprise me if they went for full on 3rd person shooter) is NOT what I want for a new ME game.
Like they pretty much did in ME3?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
StormShaun said:
All I'm wondering right now is "Who will I be playing?"...it's not Shepard...then who. (And if we could get multiple races would be cool even though I would still be human.)
That is my #1 concern for Mass Effect 4.

Hearing that we won't be playing as Shepard makes me really wonder where Bioware (now as Ubisoft Montreal) is going to take the series. I would be very happy if I could play as a Quarian, or Krogan for the next game. We should be allowed to pick a race and go off that for our main character because- hey, ME3 multiplayer is a huge hit thanks to the alien races and classes you can pick.

Imagine if ME3 multiplayer only had human classes to pick. It wouldn't last, and would feel lazy on Bioware's part but luckily they added so many races that I never grow bored of the game now (single player on the other hand.. the ending killed it for me, but least the extended cut fixed the plot holes mostly.) If I have to be a human for ME4 then I won't bother buying it. Humans in the ME universe are quite boring, literally. Only Shepard was an exception because you were him/her.. otherwise every other human was bland.
Yeah that was the bait-and-switch they pulled with ME2's marketing campaign. Shepard is dead! Yay, we'll get to roll another race and continue the fight! But no... Shepard will just come back to life and Bioware's human/racism thing will carry on. From the company that made Dwarves interesting in Dragon Age Origins, that was such a disappointing turn. Then they compounded it with DA2 and ME3 and SWTOR (five races to choose from, two of which are human, in the Star Wars setting? Bioware...) Yeah I think the last two ME games sucked all of the optimism out of me, cautious or otherwise.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
I will say the one thing I have been saying since ME1 In campaign multiplayer. I would much rather be screwed over by one of my incompetent friends than an incompetent ai. at least that way I could dump shepard on someone else while I played as the characters I really wanted like Garrus or Wrex.

Azkar Almsivi

Sep 3, 2012
I don't have any more hate for the ending to give.

But a company that lets a producer ruin the ending and then insult people that didn't like his primary school fanfiction with his pointless 4th choice in the DLC is simply obnoxious. Sorry Bioware, never again.

Bioware has gobbled up enough hipsters with ME3 to survive without my money.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Not really excited. For me, Mass Effect is done. This may play in the same universe but it's a completely different series, even developed by someone else. I may pick it up but certainly not on the first day. Either when the price is very low or if the general reception is very good.
It's a new series so it has to prove itself.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
White_Lama said:
Will have to wait and see later on in development how I like this idea.

sanquin said:
Going with a different kind of gameplay (wouldn't surprise me if they went for full on 3rd person shooter) is NOT what I want for a new ME game.
Like they pretty much did in ME3?
No, ME3 was about the same as ME2. More loot/level up things, less dialogue things. So it was both better and worse than ME2.

Full on 3rd person shooter would mean removing the skill level up system entirely, and instead just giving each 'class' say...3~4 skills to use. No extra hp, no weapon upgrades just different types of weapons (one pistol, one assault rifle, etc), no renegade/paragon quick-time events at all, etc. THAT would make it a full 3rd person shooter.

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
I can stomp my feet as much as I want, but I know I'll end up getting my hands on it somehow.
For as poor a taste it left in my mouth, the Mass Effect series has been hands-down the best gaming experience I've ever had. Sure, it's hella cheap that BioWare is tacking on the 'Mass Effect' title just to rope in the money, but what else is new? As long as it's the same universe, I'll want to explore it.
That being said, I will only purchase it used. I'm still mad at the $90 I shelled out for the ME3 Collectors Edition only to have it RUIN MY LIFE. (/exaggeration)

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
glchicks said:
Osama bin laden doesnt equal al qaeda. This is what we call false equivalency. What I was getting at is the PERCEPTION of muslims as a whole. When people say muslim, many people think Osama bin laden. Just like how when people say rpg, many (uninformed) people think bioware. So there you go
Ever heard the Phrase "Brevity is the soul of wit?" Just saying I don't think you have the "Soul of Wit" That metaphor is overly complex and no one who was not thinking in the same way as you would figure out that's what you meant.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PirateRose said:
I'm pretty sure Liara is going to be back, she's going to be back in some shape or form of future Mass Effect games. She's still got 900 years to go, so if Bioware decides to put the game so many hundreds of years later, she'll be there. Obsessively stalking like she did with Shepard all three games. It wasn't really Shepard that she was after. She was after the player all along. Or maybe she'll have cloned Shepard for sexual purposes. Or that final scene where she shares memories with Shepard was really a rape to get pregnant. Hello, meet Shepard's unwanted asari child. And she wants to stalk you. Well, I guess the unwanted part depends on the Shepard.
hahah you know...thats not such an outragous charachter interpretation..I can actually see Liara being that crazy

especially if you didn't romance her...if she can't have shepard she may as well become pregnant with him/her! (and not tell him/her)

"I rebuilt you sheaprd..liek cerberus, excpet this time your completly synthetic so we can be together...forever...I even put in a controll chip"

ha! Ive got it

Mass Effect 4: Misery

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
StormShaun said:
All I'm wondering right now is "Who will I be playing?"...it's not Shepard...then who. (And if we could get multiple races would be cool even though I would still be human.)
That is my #1 concern for Mass Effect 4.
I think they would probably still be human

however I did read somwhere a quite saying "they don't want to do Shepard 2.0" for whatever thats worth

Azkar Almsivi said:
Bioware has gobbled up enough hipsters with ME3 to survive without my money.
hipsters?............

................what?

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I'm still waiting for them to come completely out of left field and announce the playable hanar. I think having a character with that emotional and psychological disposition could be interesting. Also because they could put stealth-tentacle strangling into a game. Yeah. That would definitely redeem everything.