So....Mass Effect 4

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
doggie015 said:
I just wonder how they will raise the stakes this time... They already did the whole universe dying, how higher can you go?
mabye they don;t need too

you don't have to have the highest of high stakes to have a good story...just makes people care about the charachters

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
glchicks said:
Eddie the head said:
glchicks said:
Osama bin laden doesnt equal al qaeda. This is what we call false equivalency. What I was getting at is the PERCEPTION of muslims as a whole. When people say muslim, many people think Osama bin laden. Just like how when people say rpg, many (uninformed) people think bioware. So there you go
Ever heard the Phrase "Brevity is the soul of wit?" Just saying I don't think you have the "Soul of Wit" That metaphor is overly complex and no one who was not thinking in the same way as you would figure out that's what you meant.
Takes some brass balls to say that to me after making me navigate through that minefield of a comment.
I know I have bad grammar at times so I'll just say this. Keep it simple, that wasn't simple.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Do EA still have their dirty paws all over it?
Yes?

I'll be sure to ignore it, then. ME1 was the only good game in series. ME2 turned to shit when they made it 'Generic 3rd person shooter #614' and the 3rd game attempted to bring some of the RPG stuff back but failed miserably by not returning the heatsinks and having an ending so bad it ruined the rest of the game.

Handing the next one over to the people who made the multiplayer aspect so it can be built on the motherfucking frostbite engine is a very, very bad move. Expect Gears of Mass Effect: Retribution Reloaded Resurrection.
Although i suppose with how hard they fucked up ME3 they couldn't damage the series any more than it is anyway.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Arina Love said:
After the horrid ME3 and my subsequent falling-out with bioware. I can't wait to see how they will ruin ME franchise even more!!
Heh, pretty much my sentiments exactly :)

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
sanquin said:
"We are switching over to new directions, on both the gameplay and story fronts."
This probably means that Bioware has learned that advertising player choice does not work well, and instead they will create a linear interactive story telling experience.

I'm guessing Uncharted clone.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
I'm interested in where they take ME4. but they can take all of their pre-order bullshit and choke on it.

I loved the story in ME1, I understand gameplay was a little clunky and needed some polishing, but damn.. ME2 didn't keep the same charm that ME1 had.

Had ME came out 3-4 years prior, before the Gears of War crowd expected certain FPS qualities, I think ME2/ME3 would have kept a tighter focus on the story and RPG elements.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
AngleWyrm said:
This probably means that Bioware has learned that advertising player choice does not work well, and instead they will create a linear interactive story telling experience.

Even if they learned that from previous ME games, doesn't mean that that was what was going on. Players asked for more roleplay after ME2, they gave us dumbing down of the leveling and loot system. Players asked for previous team mates to return, we got a whole bunch of new ones. (even though the new ones were good too.) Players asked for the MAKO to disappear. We got a just as crappy 'minigame' for it in return. Players liked the heat sink system, they gave us generic ammo clips. Players liked the reapers and what they might bring in the second game. They removed reapers all together and introduced a new enemy. Things like that.

But on to your point. I wouldn't be surprised if that was their direction for ME4. A linear interactive storytelling experience. Either that or my first guess, a full on 3rd person shooter.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AngleWyrm said:

I dont see why if somthing is similar it has to have the title "clone" its not like Uncharted invented the linear story focused game (plus Mass Effect shooting has always been better IMO)
sanquin said:
Even if they learned that from previous ME games, doesn't mean that that was what was going on. Players asked for more roleplay after ME2, they gave us dumbing down of the leveling and loot system.
I will say the "loot" systm was tedious and not that great since the armour was boring all round (and micro managing your teammate sgear)

[quote/]Players asked for previous team mates to return, we got a whole bunch of new ones. (even though the new ones were good too.)[/quote]
...yeah?....thats normal isnt it? to introduce new charachters?

[quote/] Players liked the reapers and what they might bring in the second game. They removed reapers all together and introduced a new enemy. Things like that.[/quote]
it was build up with the second game..and you technically WERE fight reapers..or "reaper forces"

my point is just because "players ask for somthing" (a gorss generalisation in of itself) doesnt mean they are correct or should have final say (somtimes as a majority they are.)....lets be honest here you ask wht "players want" somtimes and it would be a threeway sex scene between Tali shepard and Garus and probably Wrex with pinkie and pie and rainbow dash thrown in

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Vault101 said:
sanquin said:
Even if they learned that from previous ME games, doesn't mean that that was what was going on. Players asked for more roleplay after ME2, they gave us dumbing down of the leveling and loot system.
I will say the "loot" systm was tedious and not that great since the armour was boring all round (and micro managing your teammate sgear)

[quote/]Players asked for previous team mates to return, we got a whole bunch of new ones. (even though the new ones were good too.)
...yeah?....thats normal isnt it? to introduce new charachters?

[quote/] Players liked the reapers and what they might bring in the second game. They removed reapers all together and introduced a new enemy. Things like that.[/quote]
it was build up with the second game..and you technically WERE fight reapers..or "reaper forces"

my point is just because "players ask for somthing" (a gorss generalisation in of itself) doesnt mean they are correct or should have final say (somtimes as a majority they are.)....lets be honest here you ask wht "players want" somtimes and it would be a threeway sex scene between Tali shepard and Garus and probably Wrex with pinkie and pie and rainbow dash thrown in[/quote]

1: True, people wanted the loot and skill system from ME1 to be improved. But they didn't improve it. They dumbed both down to 'you automatically get upgrades and equip them' and 'your skill choices aren't really choices any more.' Which was the exact opposite.

2: No it's not 'normal' to introduce new characters. New playable characters that is. When you make a game that continues the story of the previous game it's more 'normal' to at least mostly stick with the characters you already had in the first game.

3: I don't do technically. Not right now at least. The main enemy of ME1 was Sovereign/Saren. Then you find out at the end that there's hundreds more of them. Then in the next game you basically don't see any of that and a new main antagonist for just that game is introduced. (the collectors) Yes they were technically reaper forces, but they were still entirely different antagonists.

4: But there's better ways to get player opinion than just asking random people what they think. You can make specific polls, do surveys, things like that. Or at the very least look at what the general player base has as popular idea's. One such popular idea, I believe, was to be able to go to earth as well. Something they didn't implement until the 3rd game, and even then only at the very end and a small tutorial at the beginning.

My point is that EA/Bioware messed up. They didn't listen to the fans and instead did what they thought would bring them more sales. Which in turn kind-of alienated the fans instead. When a game gets a HUGELY positive response, the worst thing you can do is to change the exact things that brought said positive response in favor of more generalized, mainstream idea's.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
sanquin said:
2: No it's not 'normal' to introduce new characters. New playable characters that is. When you make a game that continues the story of the previous game it's more 'normal' to at least mostly stick with the characters you already had in the first game.

3: I don't do technically. Not right now at least. The main enemy of ME1 was Sovereign/Saren. Then you find out at the end that there's hundreds more of them. Then in the next game you basically don't see any of that and a new main antagonist for just that game is introduced. (the collectors) Yes they were technically reaper forces, but they were still entirely different antagonists.
2. isnt really true at all...it isnt really anything, it depends entirly on the story, theres no "rule" as to what you do with charachters..introduce new ones or don't

3. so? why does this matter?

[quote/]My point is that EA/Bioware messed up. They didn't listen to the fans and instead did what they thought would bring them more sales. Which in turn kind-of alienated the fans instead. When a game gets a HUGELY positive response, the worst thing you can do is to change the exact things that brought said positive response in favor of more generalized, mainstream idea's.[/quote]
theres knowing what makes a series good/bad..and then theres pandering, pandering can be just as limiting, as a firm suporter of the fact that ME3's ending was fucking diabolical..I hesitate to use the word "entitled" because its over used...but the fact is regardless the creators are not obligated to fill your every whim..[b/]to a certain extent[/b] they are the ones at the wheel and your going along for the ride, much like point 3. is a completly subjective thing that doesnt make the creators or the game bad

Trixsy

Jun 1, 2011
Quazimofo said:
Trixsy said:
I'd like to see a mass effect where I can really create my own protagonist. Race, backstory, appearance, the whole kit and kaboodle. I want to make a turian or a quarian, and not be a space soldier. I loved mass effect as a whole and I'm excited to see what they do. While I understand the complaints people had, I still enjoyed all three games.

Just... don't bring back vehicles. It's my only wish.
Mako 2.0 should never happen.
i still fail to see why people disliked the mako so much. In the elder scrolls games, horses do the same damn thing (i.e Cling to surfaces and turn horribly), yet people love em!

other than that, what is wrong with driving around a planet strategically timing your little jet boosts so they never push you off the ground, but make it look like you are instead bouncing around with your hydraulics listening to some phat beats?
I don't like the horses much either, I never used them XD
I've never been a fan of vehicles in games in general though, never been my cup o'tea.
I think part of my problem was I first played ME1 on the PC, and I'm not a PC gaming fan, but there was a sale and it's what got me to first try out the series since I didn't have an xbox at the time, and moving the mako with a keyboard made me rage. I've played it since on xbox and it's TOLERABLE but... as they say in ME3 "it handles like a drunk rhino". :)

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Vault101 said:
Azkar Almsivi said:
Bioware has gobbled up enough hipsters with ME3 to survive without my money.
hipsters?............

................what?
Get a dictionary, Vault101! Don't you know that "hipster" just mean "People I don't like"? Its like it's your first day on the internet, Jesus Christ.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Sounds cool. I will wait for more information to actually decide on buying it and stuff.

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
doggie015 said:
I just wonder how they will raise the stakes this time... They already did the whole universe dying, how higher can you go?
I really hope they don't try anything like that, the overarching story quickly revealed itself to be mediocre in the later games in my opinion, what I liked about all the Mass Effect games were the characters in your crew and the stories and interaction that accompanied them (not facial expressions, no), don't care much about Shepard or the Reapers.

Ideally I'd like to see a story completely without Shepard or any of the characters we know (maybe except a quick conversation with a Liara if it's set in the future or a little history reference but nothing major), and instead have new, even better, and more complex characters that i could grow to care about, and help/influence how they develop during the course of the game.

With the Mass Effect universe as well established as it is, I think they could potentially make something amazing by doing this (just hope I won't end up being the same'ol personalities in all new skins).

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
natster43 said:
Sounds cool. I will wait for more information to actually decide on buying it and stuff.
See, Kyubey acts directly on logic because he isn't clouded by emotions. This to me is the most sensible reaction I think I've seen on this thread yet.

Still ain't signing that contract though.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
I think the mass effect universe is diverse and interesting enough to support more that one grand story line, if you take Sheppard's Story to be the end of the Mass Effect Universe. There is still plenty of interesting races, locations and technologies for the story to revolve around, I would personally like to see something around the Krogan/Rachnii infestation.

I also think that more than one genre could be used, like how the star wars games are first and third person shooters, RTSes, Piloting games and RPGs.