So Monster Hunter World

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well I have had friends that have been fans of Monster Hunter for years. Every time a new one comes out, they all loose their fucking minds over the game and binge 50 hours of game time in a couple of days into the title. Admittedly I have tried to join them as the multiplayer aspect of the games is really rather good. However the last few games we've gotten in the States, have merely been 3DS games and there is something really lacking in those titles without the grandeur of a decent screen. And as a result I could never stick with the games long enough to get over their horrible learning curves.

However that problem is kind of gone in Monster Hunter World. for the first time in a long time, the game is out on major systems and it is a beautiful game. So now that the barrier of having to deal with the title on a DS is over, have I been able to get into a Monster hunter game?

Yes. But I still have problems with it.

You see Monster Hunter is a complex game when you really get down to it. Sure, in the beginning you can just go out and fight the games first few monsters without too much trouble. These initial monsters are more about learning to understand telegraphed attacks and avoiding them rather than understanding your weapon's movesets and how to maximize damage on monsters.

But then the game just dumps a big load of shit upon the player, and it's kind of overwhelming for me as a new player. There is so much that goes into fighting a monster that I have a hard time remembering everything I should do to prepare and end up fighting the monster at least partially unprepared.

From the deep crafting system that not only allows you to create loads of different armor that you can mix and match, to crafting weapons with different elemental or status causing effects, to being able to craft hundreds of minor items from loads of different potions to different types of ammo. And the crazy thing is, everything is important at some point in the game.

Traps and different status causing items are important when you have to trap your prey instead of outright kill it. Different weapons are important to have at the ready because different monsters are weaker to different damage types. This isn't just about elemental damages, but also different actual damage typing like slashing or blunt type damages. Bringing the right weapon for the right monster is important depending on the goal of the monster. For example you'll want a good slashing weapon if you are trying to cut off tails or a blunt weapon might be better to break apart armor plating.

It all piles onto the player and while it's briefly explained during the game, I don't feel that it is given to the player in a useable way. Instead it all feels like a big info dump that the player will most likely skip through rather than understand. I have friends explaining all this shit to me and I still don't really understand it.

However if you can get through all the noise, and understand the game's mechanics, there is a lot of fun to be had hunting the wide array of monsters in the game. And taking down different dragons to make armor out of them is satisfying. There is a lot to love about Monster Hunter World, and I can see that.

But, I would be lying if I said I wasn't struggling to grasp at the mechanics and trying to figure out how to fight with my weapon of choice. I feel like the game could do better at drip feeding newer players mechanics than it actually does.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I think I'll definitely end up trying the game but not anytime soon as I have too many games right now. I heard there's a lot less grinding, which is good because I hate grinding and games generally wasting my time. I hope the monster fights are a combination of Horizon and Dragons Dogma. I have watched a few monster fights, probably early fights, but it seems like just pummeling the monster for quite awhile until dead. I don't really care if the fights are lengthy as long as there's like a step-by-step procedure to take them down. For example like whittle away at a hard armor plate over their heart to expose the heart, then you do massive damage attacking the exposed heart. From what I've seen so far, I really haven't seen stuff like that. There's some cool stuff happening but more than anything it's just dodge and then get in some attacks. I really don't like big boss fights where you just hack away at like a dragon's chin until they're out of health like Dark Souls.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I went from dislikng this game, to liking it, and then just not really wanting to get involved anymore.

It took a while for me to get a feel for the combat, which is kind of floaty and unresponsive. It's also weird that there's no jump button eventhough your character can clearly jump. And yeah, the game dumps so many fucking gameplay mechanics on you through textboxes it's hard to get a proper grasp on any of it. I ended up ignoring a lot of it for fear of going insane trying to juggle all of it in the back of my mind.

I ultimately managed to sync up with it quite well, and I had a decent time going out fighting monsters and getting new gear. But then a couple of things happened that extinguished most of my enthusiasm. First I quickly realized this whole game was just going to be a loot grind. Then I discovered that if you fight a monster (not tied to a quest) for too long, they'll just escape and disappear. Even when they're on their last legs. I fought one of those furry-backed T-rexes for at least a half hour, only to suddenly have it dig into the ground and vanish. This happened twice. And the final straw was when I activated a quest where I didn't know exactly what was going to be invovled. When I realized it wasn't up to my liking I opted to cancel out of it, only to find out that I couldn't in anyway. I either had to finish a quest which was going to be complete slog, or wait 50 minutes for the quest timer to run out. I eventually just shut down the game, but since I hadn't saved, because I couldn't save, because the activated quest wouldn't let me, I lost a whole bunch a progress.

After that bullshit I just said 'no thanks game'.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure what to think of it, granted I wouldn't get it till it showed up on pc. However, I burned myself out on Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, when I got Monster Hunter on the WiiU I just couldn't get the urge at all to play it anymore, so I'm thinking I might just be burned out on the franchise at this point. It looks great, but yeah, not sure if I would have fun with it anymore.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
First I quickly realized this whole game was just going to be a loot grind.
That's really disappointing. I don't get why games just can't have great gameplay be the reason for you to keep playing, that's why early multiplayer games were addicting, just great gameplay without the bullshit of getting the next marginally better thing.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
Casual Shinji said:
First I quickly realized this whole game was just going to be a loot grind.
That's really disappointing. I don't get why games just can't have great gameplay be the reason for you to keep playing, that's why early multiplayer games were addicting, just great gameplay without the bullshit of getting the next marginally better thing.
On its own the loot grind is fun enough, but along with the rest of the issues, and the lack of story/narrative/lore, it's really just not worth it for me. It just feels like kinda a road to nowhere.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
14 years of history in this franchise and people are only just realizing theres a loot grind.

Words. Come back. I need you to express this.

Phoenixmgs said:
I hope the monster fights are a combination of Horizon and Dragons Dogma.
Its like neither.

Jan 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
When I realized it wasn't up to my liking I opted to cancel out of it, only to find out that I couldn't in anyway. I either had to finish a quest which was going to be complete slog, or wait 50 minutes for the quest timer to run out. I eventually just shut down the game, but since I hadn't saved, because I couldn't save, because the activated quest wouldn't let me, I lost a whole bunch a progress.
...Eh? The hell? There's got to be a way to cancel the quest, it's been in the last few games. Maybe you have to do it from your base camp instead of a convenient menu prompt this time?

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
aegix drakan said:
Casual Shinji said:
When I realized it wasn't up to my liking I opted to cancel out of it, only to find out that I couldn't in anyway. I either had to finish a quest which was going to be complete slog, or wait 50 minutes for the quest timer to run out. I eventually just shut down the game, but since I hadn't saved, because I couldn't save, because the activated quest wouldn't let me, I lost a whole bunch a progress.
...Eh? The hell? There's got to be a way to cancel the quest, it's been in the last few games. Maybe you have to do it from your base camp instead of a convenient menu prompt this time?
Ok, I don't know what happened to you, but you can definitely cancel quests. In the menu, you scroll over once and there will be "return to base" (keep what you found and lose what you used) and "abandon quest" (game acts like you never took the quest).

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Thanks for sharing your thoughts man. I'm definitely interested in the game but am torn between getting it for my almost never used Xbone or just waiting for PC. I kind of feel like getting it for console just so I have an excuse to use it for something other than playing Forza or watching 4k movies.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I was interested in this game until I played the beta and that pretty much killed my interest. I didn't like the combat at all, it felt a bit clunky and not at all intuitive, so I killed one monster and deleted the beta. Oh well...

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Casual Shinji said:
If it was there I sure as hell couldn't find it. It wasn't in the pause menu, and when I returned to one of the encampments there wasn't anything there either. So if it is possible, it's really obtuse... like most of the game fittingly enough.

Maybe this is me wanting too much, but when I'm playing a game where I need to quit out of a quest in order to return to base camp, save, or quit the game, then I expect that option/warning to pop up when I try to return to base camp, save, or quit the game.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
If it was there I sure as hell couldn't find it. It wasn't in the pause menu, and when I returned to one of the encampments there wasn't anything there either. So if it is possible, it's really obtuse... like most of the game fittingly enough.

Maybe this is me wanting too much, but when I'm playing a game where I need to quit out of a quest in order to return to base camp, save, or quit the game, then I expect that option/warning to pop up when I try to return to base camp, save, or quit the game.
Did you hit any of the shoulder buttons in the pause menu? I know it's a stupid thing to ask, but, well... I've used that option many times, the game never locked me into anything during my 50 hours of playing it so far

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
Did you hit any of the shoulder buttons in the pause menu? I know it's a stupid thing to ask, but, well... I've used that option many times, the game never locked me into anything during my 50 hours of playing it so far
Could be. I combed through all the game options I could find though, from the crafting tab to the save tab.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
I went from dislikng this game, to liking it, and then just not really wanting to get involved anymore.

It took a while for me to get a feel for the combat, which is kind of floaty and unresponsive. It's also weird that there's no jump button eventhough your character can clearly jump. And yeah, the game dumps so many fucking gameplay mechanics on you through textboxes it's hard to get a proper grasp on any of it. I ended up ignoring a lot of it for fear of going insane trying to juggle all of it in the back of my mind.

I ultimately managed to sync up with it quite well, and I had a decent time going out fighting monsters and getting new gear. But then a couple of things happened that extinguished most of my enthusiasm. First I quickly realized this whole game was just going to be a loot grind. Then I discovered that if you fight a monster (not tied to a quest) for too long, they'll just escape and disappear. Even when they're on their last legs. I fought one of those furry-backed T-rexes for at least a half hour, only to suddenly have it dig into the ground and vanish. This happened twice. And the final straw was when I activated a quest where I didn't know exactly what was going to be invovled. When I realized it wasn't up to my liking I opted to cancel out of it, only to find out that I couldn't in anyway. I either had to finish a quest which was going to be complete slog, or wait 50 minutes for the quest timer to run out. I eventually just shut down the game, but since I hadn't saved, because I couldn't save, because the activated quest wouldn't let me, I lost a whole bunch a progress.

After that bullshit I just said 'no thanks game'.
The fun to be had is playing a party of friends and challenging the most largest and deadly of monsters.

We fought against beasts like this in Monster HUnter 3:

In Monster Hunter 2:

The grind is worth it when you end up being worthy to do these kinds of bosses. The game has lore, but it was never meant to be a deep story telling game, I mean what deep lore and storytelling can there be in a game all about MONSTER HUNTING. This is a gameplay first RPG, heck I question calling it an RPG.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
gigastar said:
Your examples are awful.
Akantor is one I like a fair bit personally, but the 4U version could've been picked instead of F2 gameplay. The rest? Myeeehhh, yeah, you got the better picks for sure. I know every hunt is personal preference, but I'd rather spend my hunting time taking a Dalamadur to the face rather than a Ceadeus

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I've been having a blast with it. I really enjoy facing a monster and having a tough time, then encountering it later when I have much better gear and just shredding it. It does that really well. Also, it looks gorgeous. I really like watching how the monsters interact with each other. I've never played Monster Hunter so I don't have much basis for comparison, but I'm really enjoying Monster Hunter: World.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
gigastar said:
Your examples are awful.
Akantor is one I like a fair bit personally, but the 4U version could've been picked instead of F2 gameplay. The rest? Myeeehhh, yeah, you got the better picks for sure. I know every hunt is personal preference, but I'd rather spend my hunting time taking a Dalamadur to the face rather than a Ceadeus
As much as i liked Ceadeus its probably the worst example as underwater hunts will likely never return.