So Monster Hunter World

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm already looking to make all the gear from that monster since its weapons have the thunder element, which I'm guessing will get me stuns (much more noticeable then poison), and I like the look of the armor along with it having some good skills attached to it. I guess I'll have to kill that guy a lot then because I can't even make a set of gear from the Kulu-Ya-Ku (egg carrying bird) yet because I don't have any of its hides (and fought him 3 times already). I should be able to just buy the materials I need/want or at least be able to do quests involving those monsters, but I gotta just free roam and find them I guess.

It's cool that you get back your materials when you downgrade but it's not nearly as simple to experiment as it should be. You can't change weapons when out on a quest for example, why not be able to change weapons on at a camp?
You can change at camp, but you have to go into the tent.

Thunder doesn't induce stuns for you (you also cant inflict Fire/Thunder/Water/etc blight that monsters use).

Your stun options are:
Paralysis - Inflicted by paralysis weapons. If you dropped a shock trap, its basically that (although traps are a unique thing). The monster gets all electricy and freezes up.
KO - I think you can do KO damage from any sufficient hit. But the real KO hits come from bludgeoning attacks on the head. And knock the monster over (similar to how it falls if you do the mounting completely).
Mounting - Do damage in the air to the monster, and mount it. Do enough damage while mounted, and you get the special attack that triggers a KO state.
Stun - The only player triggered method for Stun that I know of is using a Flash Pod with the slinger. Particularly effective on flying enemies. If you do it too much or they're resistant though, you won't get Stun, but rather a blind effect where they can't see you, but can still move (usually they stand there doing spinning attacks).
Sleep - The monster goes to sleep. They curl up and start snoring with little bubbles. The first hit that wakes them up does double damage, making this particularly good for bombs/greatswords.
EXhaust - Not sure if you can actively apply this other then with bullets. Bait the monster into a lot of charge attacks particulrly. They'll start to slow down or even stop completely. If you've researched them enough you see an icon on their map too for it. This happens more readily if you take out the legs/wings too, where they'll start falling over if they use charge attacks.

(There's also a Trip damage, which involves attacking the legs, but I don't know the particulars of it. Its not particularly long lasting. Knockback/downs are similar small windows generally caused by high damage attacks on weakpoints (or breaking a part)

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Captain Marvelous said:
If you're looking for specific parts, it's best to take on the monster in a Quest or Investigation, because those give bonus parts after completion. You can retake Optional Quests as many times as you want, but Investigations are the better way to grind monsters. Investigations are unlocked by tracking monsters (As in the actual evidence they leave behind like footprints or claw marks) or breaking off parts. The Investigations sometimes have stricter time or faint constraints, but offer additional rewards. While you can slay or capture a monster during an Expedition, it isn't as advisable because the rewards are reduced. And thunder actually doesn't cause paralysis. There are weapons with the paralysis/sleep/blast elements on them that can cause the respective ailments.
I thought investigations were automatically added to your quest options and I forgot they are activated like the bounties. I was wondering why I only had 2 lame investigations available.

Captain Marvelous said:
You can actually change weapons while out on quests or expeditions at any of the camps. Once you get to the area if you turn around there's a yellow tent that you can walk into. While in the tent you can restock on items and change weapons/armor and the tent will heal you without using any items.
Seth Carter said:
You can change at camp, but you have to go into the tent.
Ah, I figured that would be possible via the supply box if it was possible.

Seth Carter said:
Thunder doesn't induce stuns for you (you also cant inflict Fire/Thunder/Water/etc blight that monsters use).

Your stun options are:
Paralysis - Inflicted by paralysis weapons. If you dropped a shock trap, its basically that (although traps are a unique thing). The monster gets all electricy and freezes up.
KO - I think you can do KO damage from any sufficient hit. But the real KO hits come from bludgeoning attacks on the head. And knock the monster over (similar to how it falls if you do the mounting completely).
Mounting - Do damage in the air to the monster, and mount it. Do enough damage while mounted, and you get the special attack that triggers a KO state.
Stun - The only player triggered method for Stun that I know of is using a Flash Pod with the slinger. Particularly effective on flying enemies. If you do it too much or they're resistant though, you won't get Stun, but rather a blind effect where they can't see you, but can still move (usually they stand there doing spinning attacks).
Sleep - The monster goes to sleep. They curl up and start snoring with little bubbles. The first hit that wakes them up does double damage, making this particularly good for bombs/greatswords.
EXhaust - Not sure if you can actively apply this other then with bullets. Bait the monster into a lot of charge attacks particulrly. They'll start to slow down or even stop completely. If you've researched them enough you see an icon on their map too for it. This happens more readily if you take out the legs/wings too, where they'll start falling over if they use charge attacks.

(There's also a Trip damage, which involves attacking the legs, but I don't know the particulars of it. Its not particularly long lasting. Knockback/downs are similar small windows generally caused by high damage attacks on weakpoints (or breaking a part)
Ah, I was hoping elemental damage would trigger status effects as well as elemental damage.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Seth Carter said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm already looking to make all the gear from that monster since its weapons have the thunder element, which I'm guessing will get me stuns (much more noticeable then poison), and I like the look of the armor along with it having some good skills attached to it. I guess I'll have to kill that guy a lot then because I can't even make a set of gear from the Kulu-Ya-Ku (egg carrying bird) yet because I don't have any of its hides (and fought him 3 times already). I should be able to just buy the materials I need/want or at least be able to do quests involving those monsters, but I gotta just free roam and find them I guess.

It's cool that you get back your materials when you downgrade but it's not nearly as simple to experiment as it should be. You can't change weapons when out on a quest for example, why not be able to change weapons on at a camp?

The jagras switch axe does exhaust damage, although it seems to be the only other weapon besides ammo that has the effect.