so much for the 360

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
First. I've had it for three years, and it hasn't failed me yet. It got some red lights on the front a long time ago, but nothing ever came of it.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I've had one Xbox 360. It's here right now.

Look away Xbox, you don't want to know!

It works fine, despite being in my ownership for 2 and a half years and someone else's for up to three years before that. So I can't complain. I love my 360, it performs really well and never lets me down.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I've had 1 Red Ring on me and 2 others come up with some weirder problem. 1 had no video and the other wouldn't read any discs. Haven't had any problems since but I wonder why game systems treat me with the opposite care I give them.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I've had 2 different 360's, and neither of them has had a single problem at all.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Worgen said:
2nd time my 360 has red ringed, how many 360s has the escapist gone though?
I'm on my 7th. The last version, one of the first slimline models, has been working great since I got it. Hopefully a sign that the new design has fixed the issues.

Not that I paid full price for 7 machines of course. I picked up an extended warranty with my first one in 2005 so all but one of these has been a warranty replacement. When the current one dies, I trade it in and drop a few bucks on a new warranty from the store so I've only actually had to replace one out of pocket.

For the record I'm also on my 3rd PS3. The Wii still works OK. Well I guess it does, no one has touched it since NSMB. It could have rats living in it and I wouldn't know. But you get the idea.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I've never been Red ringed personally, but my brother has had it happen at least 3 times. Still rolling with a nearly 4 year old system. It's a bit dodgy, for example the disc tray sometimes won't open/ close properly, and it does tend to make a fair bit of noise, but otherwise, it's fine.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
KNOCK ON WOOD

I've had two 360s.

And the only reason I needed to buy the second one was because some wanker stole the first one. The effin bastard.

The second one which I've had for years is still working perfectly.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ok please forgive my delay in reply. I went to bed. Really, Ive said what I have to say on the subject, In this thread and many others. So at least for me theres more than a little redundancy. However, I did not want you to think I was being silent and get the wrong idea.

Donnyp said:
I really don't see why people feel the need to treat all corporations like they are Nike or Wal-Mart. Not everything and everyone is an evil asshole.
And it is beyond me why people are defending massively profitable corporations like they are some benevolent benefactor. I really do not understand where the loss of vision occurs. Many of the arguments in support come down to "It doesnt effect me, I dont care."

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

That is why we do not have the luxury of ignoring things like this. But that is what confuses me when people defend Sony. (Ill use the anecdote above, but when I do I am not trying to imply Sony is a Nazi or Nazi like organization._) But the people defending Sony is sort of like if the Jews were acting as human shields willingly for the Nazis. It does not matter if you are personally effected by the loss of BC. The problem is the tactics used hurt all consumers, even the ones who cannot see how it hurts them.Sony has skirted the edge of their legal responsibility, but yet people still defend them while they work around that responsibility because "it doesn't effect me"

Linux was an advertised feature. Really doesn't matter if your friend did not get it to work well It was a feature and many units were sold because of that feature. It may not have worked optimally, but that did not stop the USAF from buying hundreds of them with the intention of running Linux on them. Removing that feature is bait and switch. There are laws protecting consumers against that action, but yet people will jump in front of Sony to defend them because Sony provides them with entertainment, as if it is wrong to disconnect people from what fuels their complacency.

Sony also is spitting in the face of recent legal precedent. Sony was not in the right in the geohotz case. Hell THEY know they weren't in the right, because if they thought they were, or thought there was a snowballs chance in hell a judge would side with them do you think they would have dropped the case? They dropped the case because they knew they didnt have a legal leg to stand on with the Apple Jailbreaking case....

What does the Copyright Office's ruling mean?
The short answer is that jailbreaking your iPhone or other mobile device will no longer violate a controversial federal copyright law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA. Bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" is now permitted.
.... and they backed off because loosing that case would hurt them and their ability to change games from being a product and into being a service which does not have the same legal protections. Beyond that. it was their own doing. Geohotz action would never had occurred had Sony not bait and switched Linux functionality. It also does not matter because once Geohotz owned the device it was his to do with as he pleased, and publishing the root key is not legally wrong. You cannot copywrite a root key. It would be like copywriting your email password. That was the only thing that was posted. To which the Jailbreaking case protects working around such protections on devices one owns.

If someone took your hard work and gave it away for free wouldn't you be angry?
Absolutely and by that same measure, if someone took something you worked hard for, wouldn't you be angry? If someone put in the work, saving and effort to buy a PS3 yet once they buy it it either has advertised functions missing and functions forcibly removed and the person why bought the hardware has something that they can no longer use for their intended purpose, how can anyone expect them NOT to be mad? Im sorry, but no amount of "FREEGAMEZ" is enough to make me ignore when a company is mistreating its customers and hiding behind litigation and legislation to do so.

Sony absolutely has been in the wrong. Its not even in question. Not only have they skirted the law, they are pissing on the law as well, then using the law to hide behind so they can protect their profits. What is worse is they are antagonizing portions of their customer base in the process. So as it relates to the original subject of the thread, Yes Sony has been acting sphinctery, and with all the mistreatment of their customers, I personally could not recommend using a Sony product to anyone, and Unless something dramatically changes in how they represent themselves, and treat their customers, I will not personally buy another Sony product. I would much rather avoid their sphinctery behavior all together, so I will deal with any tech issues the 360 has to NOT have to deal with that.

Gabriel Dragulia

Jun 1, 2011
well... I hate my 360... it's been sent back for repairs 4 times... got it back 4 times 'repaired' but it kept giving problems.
I'm not going to buy a new xbox just because they can't fix my problems or send me a new one because it's just not working.
at the moment I don't want to play on my xbox that much anymore... I HAVE to install all the games I want to play, otherwise the console absolutely won't play the games at all. and when I install them, the games are just going so slow. I can hardly play any game, because everything is responding so slowly...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
No RRoD for me yet, and I bought my 360 about 4 1/2 years ago. It did have some other kind of hardware failure once, but it was still within the warranty period, so aside from packaging and transport fees it didn't cost me a cent since I bought it. Yay! :)

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
My first Xbox red ringed just inside the warranty limit (Remember you get a 3 year warranty for the "3 red lights problem") so I got a free fix. I've now got one of the new slimline Xbox, and the only problem I have with that is that it is NOT "whisper silent".

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009
I don't have a 360, but I'm not a Playstation fanboy (the Halo franchise is my favourite franchise easily, too bad I got into it after owning a ps3). Two mates of mine who I would identify as playing their 360s frequently have had theirs for at least 5 years each and neither have had the slightest problem. My ps3 is currently struggling to read some discs, apparently it's a common problem, and like you I'm not sure if it's worth getting it fixed.

Mar 30, 2010
I bought my 360 Elite on the UK release day back in 2005, and when that died back in 2009 I simply bought the base 360 Arcade and put my Elite harddrive in it. 2 years on and not a single problem to report, despite the caning I give the poor thing.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, I'm at my second 360 now (first one got replaced).

The first one RRoD'ed several times, but it always kept working fine after a reboot, until that last time.

The new one has still to RRoD.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Microsoft have stated THOUSANDS of times, if it isn't in the warranty, and it red rings, they will fix it for free, because it isn't your fault, it's their fault.

Mine broke after 4 years and i got it fixed for free, then bought an elite a year later.