So my fellow nerds, what is this Doctor Who you speak of?

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
If you have Netflix you can stream it, that's how I've been watching it. I think they technically have a lot of the older stuff too, but just start with the series that is listed for 2005.

And as others have said, very British, the effects of the first season might throw you off, but trust me it gets better, and the writing starts of great and proceeds to get even better, so definitely worth a look.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd suggest starting off with the 1996 TV Movie: Doctor Who - It's the 8th Doctor, and the actor does a fantastic job even if the movie goes nowhere...unless you don't mind audio books then, well, you're in for a hell of a treat.

After that Doctor Who 2005 - Series/Season 1 - the 9th Doctor.

You're going to want to Wiki the information about the specials as some of them act like Seasons 1.5 or whatever.

Once you get caught up to Series/Season 6 Part 1 (which has just been released on Blu-Ray/DVD) I'd suggest looking for some of the stand out stories of the Classic Doctor Who like Genesis of the Daleks and 'The Five Doctors'.

That is, if you can stand how dated much of it feels.
I, personally, LOVE the old - sometimes - cheesiness of it all and thinks it's just good old classic TV.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
Go back to the classic Doctors:
Tom Baker was the best.
The recent ones are pants, I stopped watching when the Daleks(pepper pot EVIL aliens, a constant foe over the years for the various Doctors) started to cry. That was it for me, I have not watched another episode.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Stublore said:
Go back to the classic Doctors:
Tom Baker was the best.
The recent ones are pants, I stopped watching when the Daleks(pepper pot EVIL aliens, a constant foe over the years for the various Doctors) started to cry. That was it for me, I have not watched another episode.
That was stupid, but Tennant was an amazing Doctor.

The Waters of Mars was a really amazing showcase, I think, of Tennant's ability to be 'The Doctor' and yet have this sort of 'Master' edge.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Well I've never seen it, I do remember seeing commercial for an American version (I think), it didnt last long.
But its a British sci-fi TV series, which includes but is not limited to a phone booth that travels through space, a lazer screw driver, and a doctor who used to play first base for the Yankees (cookie for the reference)

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Doctor Who is such a great series to follow.
SUPA FRANKY said:
So anyone want to tell me how to start? I know I could just wiki it or something, but what fun is that? I want to hear what the fans have to say.

So where exactly should I begin?

IS their some masive lore I'll have to learn to understand the plot? I'm fine with learning a few terms and races, but if its too in depth, it's a little off putting.
As for where to begin, start with Christopher Eccleston who starred in the reboot of the series. The first episode there, not gonna lie, isn't the greatest. But virtually everything after that is win. Catching up isn't very difficult because each season in the reboot is only about 12 episodes.

As for the lore, sure it is massive. Hell, Doctor Who has been around since the 60's of course it'll be massive haha. But they do an EXCELLENT job in the reboot of explaining everything in the Doctor Who universe.

Doctor Who is known for having the best plot twists and surprises you never see coming, you would not want to spoil any surprises. If you have a friend already invested in the universe, have them explain some of the details as they crop up.

Make sure to watch the specials in where they fit in with the rest of the season. Sometimes they'll be separated on Netflix.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Start with Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker. The Time Warrior is a really good example. It's got some good action and introduces a favorite sidekick: Sara Jane Smith.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
No need to watch the old stuff from the 60s. Start with the rebooted series that started in 2005, one thing they did in the reboot was make sure to reexplain major things as to make it available to new watchers. I would highly recommend it.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I would definitely start with Eccleston. He was my first. He is the reason I love Doctor Who now.

As for the old stuff...I've seen some. I don't like it. That's me. That being said, the new stuff, starting in 2005, tells you all you need to know since they were trying to pull in new people.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Someone call [user]Timelord[/user]!
Sorry I'm late, Type 40 TARDIS, I'm still breaking her in.

Most of the stories of Doctor Wjo are designed to be self contained. There will be references to larger plot arcs in them but you can pick nearly any episode and still enjoy them without knowing the details.

Other than that, start with the 2005 reboot series 1 episode "Rose" with Christopher Ecceston and Billie Piper, from there onwards you will be fine.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
IS their some masive lore I'll have to learn to understand the plot? I'm fine with learning a few terms and races, but if its too in depth, it's a little off putting.
I started with season 5 where Matt Smith entered, all the way up to the pause in the middle of season 6. Now I've gone back to where Doctor Who originally restarted (with Christopher Eccleston) and I'm quite enjoying it. Here's a trailer someone made for the start if the 11th Doctor:

Enjoy!

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I used to love Doctor who when I was a kid, but I don't like the newer ones, I overwhelmingly prefer the old Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) and Jon Pertwee (3rd Doctor) episodes. They might have really crap looking monsters made out of bubble wrap, but it's really good TV if you want a simple good time. It's a wonder that any of the actors managed to keep a straight face when they saw the monsters. You can pretty much pick it up at any time, you don't really need to know any of the series prior to the one you are watching. Have fun!

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
Never watched it, but my friend likes it a lot. She said it made her cry and she also had a dalek keyring. She's not really much of a nerd generally. I've considered checking it out as well but like you I didn't know where to start, so thankyou.

EradiusLore

Jun 29, 2010
i have watched all of doctor who as it is your duty to do so if your british :p all eleven doctors and they are awesome :) im guessing your american so i would go with the new doctor, but if your a bit nerdy go from christopher eccleston's doctor. and if your a mega nerd like me go from the start :p

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
I'll sum up the older episode's important details is the doctor, in his youth stole an antique TARDIS from his home world Gallifrey. He proceeded to have many adventures, picking up human side-kicks and was occasionally called back to Gallifrey for various reasons. Among these were to be put on trial, and hence exiled to earth, then he was offered presidency of Gallifrey and at some point was made to go back in time and stop the Daleks from coming into being. I might be wrong, but I think the inadvertent result of this was the Time War itself. Eventually, seemingly all the time lords were dead except for the doctor. A recurring Time Lord nemesis has been the Master. The Moriarty to the Doctor's Sherlock Holmes. A time lord can regenerate twelve times, giving him a total of thirteen lives (though it is implied the Time Lords can bestow more) and the doctor is in his eleventh incarnation.

To start with, at least, I'd suggest the eighth doctor movie and onwards.

May 26, 2010
Start with the first Christopher Eccleston episode called Rose. It's meant to introduce new viewers easily because that's where the reboot starts.

Also, I know this isn't your fault, but Doctor Who is the longest running science fiction television programme in the world. All the sci-fi tv tropes not made up by Star trek come from it. So saying "I've been hearing alot about this series" to sci-fi nerd culture is like a guy walking into the American professional eating circuit and saying "I don't know if anyone can help me here, but I've heard of this, like, food thing called a burger? I was wondering what that was."

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SUPA FRANKY said:
Well, this site just keeps giving me newer and newer addictions...

Anyway, I've been hearing alot about this series. So I've decided that I might give it a look. So anyone want to tell me how to start? I know I could just wiki it or something, but what fun is that? I want to hear what the fans have to say.

So where exactly should I begin? Even though I like sci-fi and quirky humor, does it seem like something I would like? ( I liked Star Wars, was interested in Star trek, loved Ender's game, watch futurama all the time, etc.)

thing about the doctor is...its just a guy who is a timelord, he has a ship called a TARDIS wich can go ANYWHERE in ANYTIME..thats all you really need to know, just start froma story arc (mabey the start of a season) and go

I would suggest if your willing to by the DVD's the very start of the first season of the "new" ones...that started about 2005

if you've got the "stomach" for the older ones (as in laughbly bad special effects) then you could go the "tomm baker" era

speaking of DR WHO I just got a "Dalek" propaganda poster (I have an addiction to posters) mabye I should pick up where I left off in the newer series

E.Blackadder

Apr 26, 2011
Yep, Eccelstons Rose is a good one to start with. It's hard to say who is better, as they all have completely different personalities. The WW2 Dalek has to be the most badass Dalek scheme ever (for those that know)