so....Not having children=Selfish?

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
triggrhappy94 said:
I think it's selfless. You're holding off what's suppose to be one of the most full-filling experiences in life, because you don't want to put additional strain on your's and your community's reasourses.
Edit: Misread original post, apologies.

DeadlySpider

Mar 5, 2012
Woo, first post. IN other news, if someone else has pretty much posted the exact same arguments as me, I apologise, since I have neither the time nor attention span to read through 15 pages, although I did make it to four.

My Personal position on this would be to simply say that their is no such thing as a "choice". I'd rather not expand to the whole long and boring argument of determinism or libertarianism, but simply but, I, personally, am convinced that choice's are an illusion, free will doesn't really exist, blah blah blah.

However, I have an interesting arguments for and against which are better then me figuratively kicking the table over and going home.

1. Countless human lives have gone into your creation. You are the result of millions of years of hard gone evolution, and more then that, the incredible, unthinkably titanic effort, of every one of your direct ancestors (your mother, father, then their parents, ad infinite, almost) to bump uglies. At least one of your ancestors has probably had to engage in a life or death struggle, and much more likely, a helluva lot of them. By surviving, they were able to pass on their genes, resulting in unique children, who had unique children, who eventually resulted in you. The odds against you existing are millions to one, yet it still happened. Your ancestors fought wars, begged, crawled, and most probably murdered at some point or another, to survive. And one of the end results of this, is you. Not an intentional one, some of you may probably think, but still a result.

Isn't it slightly selfish that you chose to not take what you ancestors have done, all the effort, toil and hard work , and continue it? We are on a biological level at least, all about reproduction, and your elders worked through the entire medieval period of shit on the streets and witch burnings to get you here. if you didn't continue this, what would be the point of all that. Hundreds, possibly thousands, (I think) and if we include your evolutionary ancestors (apes, and further back then that) millions, BILLIONS of lifeforms into you existing, right here, right now, and your simply going to say pff, Im not having kids, its hard work, etc.

Argument 2. If your religious, and reading this website, your pretty much boned. Although I can't say I have evidence at hand for any book but the bible

"Go forth and multiply"

I'm pretty sure every book has something about creating kids for god.
This may not be true for hinduism, buddhism, sikhism, since I have less knowledge about those, but most western religions, yes.

And now that I have appealed to the 0.5% of people who are religious and reading this forum, ONWARDS.

Argument 3 : We are,as stated in argument one, biological machines focused on passing on our genetics. If you looked at argument 2 with some amount of scorn, believing all religions to be tosh and bother, your equally screwed. Because without a soul, besides a self invented purpose, your main point is too screw and be screwed. That is the entire purpose of biological life.

Well, if you actually managed to read through this whole thing, yaysies. We're doing well enough in the internet to actually discuss real issues

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Its not my place to judge what women want to do with their bodies/lives, and it will remain that way.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
It's fine if you don't reproduce, but the consequences which you (and others) have to pay for will still occur.

Economy taking a hit or even going down the tube. Your government might try to counter it with immigration. The influx of immigrants will reshape your country's culture landscape resulting in culture clash/shock - the severity will depend on rate of influx. The immigrants will not necessarily adapt - old habits die hard. This is especially true if they are immigrating for monetary reasons rather than culture reasons. They did not grow up in your culture, they will never really be "one of you". If there are significant numbers of them, they probably won't have to adapt - they have enough "social support" to form their own sub-culture.

Whatever. Life goes on. Gene lines that breed will continue on and become the future of the human race. Gene lines that don't, will die out a.k.a extinction. Natural selection at work.

And so the phenomenon on this rock known as "life" continues.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Lol, this is the complete opposite of my opinion, if anyone's read my "Unpopular Opinions" thread.

If anything, we have more than enough children.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008

Please keep that sensationalist overpopulation bullshit away from me. If youre here on the escapist youre in the orange band and overpopulation just ISNT an issue. End of story. That argument is completely fallacious and i want it to die.

If you want kids, have kids, and dont let anyone guilt you otherwise.

If you dont want kids, dont have kids, and dont let anyone guilt you otherwise.