So, now that the Mass Effect 3 Demo is out...

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I loved it. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't see consequences of multiple character deaths - even if you choose "Numerous casualties" in the beginning, Wrex, Garrus and Mordin are still there. I'll see that in three weeks, I guess.

Holy shit, I need to finish my canon ME2 soon.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Orcboyphil said:
Well were only 46 days into the year and we already have the Game of the Year. The faces seemed a little in the uncanny valley however and the default FemShep eyes really freaked me out somehow. The kid scene did feel cheap, you could see what was coming but it did make me want to cry a little. Also Garrus, Wrex and Kirrahe in the same mission! How can such awesomeness be contained in a mere demo!? Please don't let this be like a Hollywood trailer where all the best bits are shown.
Shit man, you did it. You said the truths. I also kinda fucking hated the goddamn hit-markers for some reason.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
garjian said:
im really disappointed...

Whos this "James" guy and why can i already imagine tearing out his internal organs for fun?
Why are we back to the Mass Effect 1 team again? They were boring the first time and the only people missing are whoever-died and Tali. Cant they be bothered to make some new characters, who would at least be interesting for a little while because they are new? :/
I dont understand, first you complain about the new character being there, then you complain about no new characters.

Can you make up your mind please

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
As long as that's not *actually* the opening of the game, I know I'm going to love the shit out of this game. Both Mass effect 1 and Mass effect 2 have really strong opening scenes...but this was just a let down.

I'd just killed a shit ton of batarians the last time I picked up my Shepard, why has the whole court marshal thing not only been skipped but COMPLETELY ignored? I didn't see my act of Destroying an inhabited planet mentioned once. Don't throw Vega at me and make out like my shep and him have been friends for a long time; WE HAVEN'T BEEN, WE JUST MET. I'm not going to give a shit about Vega just because you tell me I ought to.

And if they have ret-conned my decision to put Anderson on the council I will set fire to Bioware's nearest offices.

In Medias Res does not work for the intro of the third installment of a trilogy.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
This demo was rather painful

ok im not gonna touch too much on the story as i cant really judge it from the demo, although i will say i hope that was not the actual begining (it explains nothing from ME2 to ME3 and there seems to be a big change)

Pros
-Music Score was really good, i liked the ME1 like soundtracks
-Textures for the environment looked good
-Some minor improvments to the character creation (although its still not that good)
-WHEN the controls work the combat is pretty good
-Im sorry thats all i can say that was good... OOH and captain kirahee!

Cons
-Sound design was inconsistent as hell, sometimes it was loud, others quiet and weapons sounded nothing like before
-Character textures were pretty shit, they looked over textured to the point it wasnt pleasent
-Frame rate issues, ok im willing to except this may just be in the demo, and they werent significant but it makes movment in cut scenes rather choppy. also the shadow on faces problems from ME1 have returned
-Characters seem to be rather poorly animated, they come across almost as uncanny as oblivion characters.
-Cant choose between squad auto use defencive powers, all powers and no powers. now its just powers or no powers

but my biggest complaint... oh my biggest complaint... in most games its usually a very very minor issue but here its almost making me skip the game
The god damn controls!!
I honestly cant remember how many times i died during the last battle purely because the A button couldnt make up its mind! the only remedy to this is to play on an easy difficulty but that makes it too easy and boring. I even went and played ME2 to see if i had problems there and that was fine. i honestly can not express how much the A button has annoyed me

TheOneMavado

Jul 3, 2011
theevilgenius60 said:
Didn't like the lengthy recharge on my class specific power though. In part two there might as well have not been a recharge, it was so short.
That's largely because of the new weight system. The demo is "kind" enough to overload you with guns regardless of what class you're playing (where's my freaking sniper rifle?) in the second half and that severely affects Shepard's cooldown speed. Just compare it to the cooldown you have in the intro when all you're packing is a pistol.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Thespian said:
What does everyone think? Does it bode well or ill for your expectations of ME3?

Personally I was very impressed by the demo. It really nailed my hopes for the new game.

Pros;
1 - The game seems to be a thematic blend of ME1 and ME2. Music borrows from both breeds of sound track and sound effects (such as when your gun runs out of ammo) are reminiscent of ME1's cyberpunk-y style.

2 - The leveling system for abilities. Yeah, it looks cool - Not TOO streamlined, could probably stand to have a bit more depth but I like it nonetheless. I also like how it seems every class has a grenade power.

3 - The icing on the cake - For example, my favorite class is easily Sentinel, and my favorite power is Tech Armour. I love the way the new Tech Armour looks like the type all the other NPCs use, and I like how you can detonate it.

4 - Weapons. So, now we can use whatever weapons we want, no matter what class we are. Sweet. I understand there are restrictions, since certain classes carry more weapons than others, but I liked being a Sentinel and carrying a shotgun and an assault rifle.

5 - Squad Banter. No one does this like Bioware, and it's getting extra focus in ME3, it seems. The exchange between Garrus and Wrex at the start of the demo's second mission is priceless. Squad-mates seem to be conversing more during missions as well.

6 - Captain Kirrahe. Just... Just Captain Kirrahe :D I was so glad to see him. I hope this indicates that the full game will draw from the mythos built up by the last two - There are tons of NPCs I'd really enjoy coming across again throughout the game. I expect another chance to upstage Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani, maybe see what Thane's son Kolyat has made of himself, or hear what trouble Kal'reegar has gotten himself into lately.

Cons;

1 - Well, as soon as James Vega lumbered into the scene and Shep called him by his first name I realized this would be another forced attempt to make me like the token human characters. This guy just seems like Ashley with a Y chromosome, so if there's an equivalent Virmire for me to leave him burning on he'll be finding himself there soon enough.

2 - Some of the facial expressions and stuff were... Just a bit off? And all in all while there's some pretty scenes, the demo didn't show off it's visuals or textures very well. The first level was a series of grey corridors and the second was a series of... Well, beige corridors. Then again, I was playing it on an old SD TV, so benefit of the doubt I guess.

3 - I thought it felt a little action game-y. Especially the first part, where you're running around Earth and things are exploding and it stops every once in a while to show Shepard dive out of the way of an explosion and it just felt a bit jarring.

4 - No indication as to how Armour or Weapon crafting will work, whuuut? I really wanted to see that. Hrm.

5 - The Dialogue choices were, well, negligible. I had hoped for at least a cool Paragon/Renegade interrupt to get, say, new players excited about the whole choice-making mechanic? Then again, that's hardly their agenda when they give you the choice of ignoring the dialogue parts entirely at the start of the game...

All in all, GREAT demo. I loved it, despite the flaws. It actually rejuvenated my faith in ME3. And we haven't seen how Armour or Weapons will work yet, and the Weapon customizing looks cool. So I think ME3 has a lot of potential.
Thats MAJOR Kirrahe. :)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I liked it, though noticing that my Infiltrator didn't have a sniper was a bit... What?

Garrus had a sniper! I want that! Give me an interrupt where you nick his sniper dammit!

The enemies were cool and challenging (dreading the Insanity playthough) there's a fucking YMIR mech on crack for gods sake. The abilities are fucking badass, Shockwave and Stasis are awesome

Personally I noticed the weird faces but i've never let the Uncanny Valley bother me before. Totally can see the complaint though. And during the kid killing business, my magnificent brain was like "dude this is fucking forced as shit, don't fall for this" but no... I fell for it. Though only because they showed him at the start and during the vent section, if it was SUDDENLY RANDOM CHILD! BOOOOOOOOMMMMMM! a'la MW3 I would be quite annoyed at Bioware for being pricks.

Controls were good but hopefully the goofy factor in the animations will get fixed at least a little bit.

Apr 28, 2008
I was certainly surprised.

Though I couldn't try multiplayer because for some stupid-ass reason the multiplayer portion is locked to only those who bought and played Battlefield 3. Oh, it opens on Friday yeah, but when you release the damn demo in its entirety you generally don't lock away content for a while, you dicks. I thought Battlefield 3 owners got to get into the demo early anyway, but apparently not. Apparently they gave early access to the demo at large to others or something. I have no idea who or if they also got the multiplayer part.

It's all just freaking stupid.

Apart from that though, it was pretty good. Wasn't mind-blowing to me, but wasn't horrible. Suppose I'll do a list like everyone else.

Male Shepard's voice actor isn't horribly boring to listen to, so that's good.

Character progression is deeper, which is nice.

Health is segmented. I really love segmented health systems.

Characters are more detailed, and look pretty good.

They don't kill off Shepard in the beginning (I really hated that in the second game).

Varga looks like he just came out of Gears of War. Kind of looks like a walking slab of meat.

Inception horn completely ruining all emotional impact from the first section's ending.

Still has a reloading system.

There was some woman who claimed she was Ashley, but she looked nothing like Ashley. It was odd.

Facial animations are Human Revolution level bad (talking about general conversations in HR, not the boss conversations).

M8 assault rifle sounds hilariously weak. Like an angry stapler.

When Shepard is in cover, he sticks his head out. He did this in ME2, and it looked just as stupid there, but at least in that game it wouldn't hurt you if they shot Shepard's stupidly exposed head. In this game, it does. I died once because Shepard is too damn stupid to get his damn head down.

The "look at our awesome set-piece!" button. Just seems kind of desperate, you know? "Quick, look! LOOK NOW YOU IDIOT!". Let us figure stuff out for ourselves. That's one reasons why multiple playthroughs are so fun, we keep discovering new things. If you show it all at once in one playthrough... it just gets rid of that element. Which is a shame.

All the enemies blended into the background. Though this was more apparent in the second mission. Bright grey mooks blending with the bright yellow backdrop and bright grey architecture. Get some contrast in there.

No party banter. When I saw many people praising the squad banter, I thought they were referring to the characters talking all the time. I was sad to see that this was not the case, since during my run they didn't really say anything to each other. Or themselves.

Still pissed about Cerberus, was since 2 but whatever. They brought back Shepard to stop the Reapers. Now that the Reapers are here and targeting humanity Cerberus, a pro-human group remember, is trying to kill Shepard.

Omni-blade. Hahahahahahaha, omni-blade...

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
endtherapture said:
Anyone else feeling the little boy in the demo seemed more than it seemed? Like he was an inner part of Shephard's psyche. I mean, Anderson didn't notice him, neither did any of the soldiers on the flying car thing, they didn't help him to get in the car, it feels odd, like he is a manifestation of a young Shepard or something as opposed to an actual boy. Such an innocent creature in all of the chaos and war and stuff, when everyone else around was military, seemed weird.

I dunno, seems too advanced for Bioware, could be plausible if it was an Obsidian game.
I totally thought the same thing about the boy, like he was representing Shepard feeling lost, unable to fix the situation, beyond help etc. I thought that maybe because of the fact that I chose the Sole Surivor option (which is one of my Shep's anyway). But then he got blown up by a reaper, which was upsetting!! In a video game demo! Damn. Though maybe, the boy still IS Shepard's imaginary psyche friend, and will turn up later in the game with Shepard chatting away and everyone thinking he/she is batshit insane.

I couldn't help thinking about the whole save-the-Earth-from-the-reapers thing, and how if I were a Turian I would be like "Hmm, so your wussy little planet is under attack? Yawn. Deal with it.". So it might be a long journey trying to get others onside for this one (also given that a lot of characters seem to think that the Reapers are the Boogyman).

One more thing, first time I came to "Bypass" a door I was like "Ooo I wonder what the new hacking challenge will b... oh it just opened". Hopefully they are not revealing it for in the demo?

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Zydrate said:
Kavonde said:
Only real concern is the overdone brownish yellow color filter, which I REALLY hope I can turn off. Just 'cause it's the end of the universe doesn't mean it has to be a big ugly mush of blegh, BioWare.
ME1 was pretty gritty in most places though.
It had a visual filter that gave the game a granier quality, but you could switch it off if you wanted. Hopefully ME3 will have the same option.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
also, with that kid, i mean seriously. millions of people are dying and you expect me to care about one little kid, who i know nothing about, above everyone else? it didnt work in MW3 and it aint workin here. now Vermire was a much more emotional place for me, you know why? because i had a chance to get to know and care about the characters, and their fates were up to me.

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
endtherapture said:
I really enjoyed the demo. More tactical than ME2, more intense than ME1, it was perhaps the perfect fusion between the two games. I was really pleasantly surprised.

It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

When the ship carrying the boy blew up, and Shepherd left Earth, I dunno it felt so profound, I haven't been that affected by a game since The Witcher 2
I dont think that boy was real.

Reason 1 when he climbed onto the ship no one helped him not even the soliders, now I think its a little odd no one noticed him at all or interacted with him.

Reason 2 when you meet him he vanishes as soon as you look away.

Reason 3 the distance he would have to cross would be too much for him to handle

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
Newhouse said:
2) Now this is nit picking too, but, I still feel like the "choose an experience" shouldn't have been added, seriously why is there an option to have all your dialogue chosen for you? This is supposed to be an RPG not Gears of War except with a good story (no offense to Gears fans just didn't find myself emotionally invested or caring that much about it's story). The option to play it like "normally" is still there so I can't complain to much, still I don't feel we have to cater to every person in existence that's why there's an easy mode.
I don't understand why they put these features in the game. Are they trying to get new players? Who starts playing a storied franchise on its last game? It makes no sense.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Irridium said:
Yeah... this I don't get.

In the previous games, omni-tools could perform all of the following roles:

- Freeze ray
- Flame thrower
- Stun gun
- Image projector
- Scanner-of-absolutely-anything
- PDA
- Hacking device
- Drone deployer
- Bludgeon
- Personal cloaking device
- Whatever else I forgot...

And now people get sniffy about them sticking a sharp bit on the front?

Apr 28, 2008
Zhukov said:
Irridium said:
Yeah... this I don't get.

In the previous game, omni-tools could perform all of the following roles:

- Freeze ray
- Flame thrower
- Stun gun
- Image projector
- Scanner-of-absolutely-anything
- PDA
- Hacking device
- Drone deployer
- Bludgeon
- Personal cloaking device
- Whatever else I forgot...

And now people get sniffy about them sticking a sharp bit on the front?
Oh I know all (or, most of) that stuff. For me it's to the point of just wondering what they'll do with it next. It seems like it started out as a kind of super-awesome PDA, and Bioware eventually just kept piling things on and turned it into a sort of sonic screwdriver but more crazy sort of thing.

Though, I don't remember some of those. When was it used as a freeze ray and flamethrower?
It's just gotten to the point of being more ridiculous than what the setting should seem to allow. Yes yes, there's force powers, ancient killbot ships of death, and cybernetic zombies, but those were all explained in-game and sounded somewhat plausible for the setting. The omni-blade, and omni-tool at large basically, just seems to have exceeded that. ME2 already exceeded it for me with some of the stuff you mentioned, now I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what other crazy thing they decide it can do next.

That's just me though, I'm sure many think different.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Kakulukia said:
I loved it. I was a bit disappointed we couldn't see consequences of multiple character deaths - even if you choose "Numerous casualties" in the beginning, Wrex, Garrus and Mordin are still there. I'll see that in three weeks, I guess.

Holy shit, I need to finish my canon ME2 soon.
Agreed. I played the demo twice with the second time selecting the "Numerous Casualties" option. I was really hoping to see what that mission would have been like (if at all) if Wrex, Garrus and/or Mordin had died in ME1 or ME2. Sure, Kirrahe was cool to see but he's easily replaceable by Captain Random-Salarian if he had died on Virmire.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
RagTagBand said:
And if they have ret-conned my decision to put Anderson on the council I will set fire to Bioware's nearest offices.
I thought it'd been known for quite some time now that Udina is the canon choice - it's Udina that becomes Councilor by default if you don't import a save into ME2, and he's the human Councilor in Mass Effect: Retribution and Inquisition (both of which are set after ME2). Seems regardless of the choice you made at the start of ME2 (choice of Councilor doesn't actually import from ME1 apparently), some time after the suicide mission Udina takes the post over from Anderson if he didn't have it already.

OT: demo delivered. At first I wasn't going to bother playing it but curiosity got the better of me. If the hacking minigames really have been removed then I'm not going to miss them: I always felt relieved when I reached the stage in ME1 where I had enough omnigel to just bypass all of them and while ME2 had some variety in them, I'm still not going to cry for their loss.

Combat seemed pretty fluid, the improved reload speed was much apprecaited and, best of all, it ran very well on my PC, which I fear is getting towards the "minimum specs" end of the scale these days.

I didn't really like what they did with Anderson's face, he just didn't look like the same person that was in the past two games... like they've changed his head shape or something. There's a few other little niggles, for example I don't like that there's no real 'confirmation' animation when you select a power. That's only small though, sure I'll get used to it.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
The gameplay seems to be more of the same from ME2. Not bad, but nothings really been changed, just sort of updated. Once again not necessarily bad but I was hoping for a bit more.

The storyline is going to be tripe... yes I know we don't know much so far but it is going to be complete and utter tripe. From what I gathered from it the plot is going to center around Shepherd gathering races and people to help defend Earth, IE Ground Zero of the Reaper Invasion.

This is stupid. It would take weeks if not months to do this. And you are telling me that they won't just simply have it destroyed by then? These guys have been shown to be incredibly powerful and they just had a whole fleet show up on Earth. I'm sorry but why do we even think Earth has a chance?

Also Cerberus.... wtf... why are they trying to stop the saving of the Universe. I'm sorry Bioware you won't be able to explain that one away very well I'm sure.

Sure it will be a fun game, but I'm also sure I will want to shoot myself for even listening to the storyline.