So, now that the Mass Effect 3 Demo is out...

Czaran

Jan 22, 2011
They did well imo.

I have 2 complaints though, the dialogue seemed cheesy/chiche in the single player demo. Like *spoiler spoiler spoilerish* when the female krogan took Wrex's shotgun and shot the 2 mercs casually, it seemed a bit too cliche for my tastes, it didn't fit into the feel ME2 had with their dialogues and grim statements...

Also in the multiplayer the mechs are near impossible to kill without a heavy weapon. Me and some random guy were on wave 10, we already used our heavy weapon ammo to kill 2-3 other mechs and then another one comes in and the game attached a objective where we had to kill the mech in 2 minutes or so. We were screwed, no way we could do it in time. To say the least it seemed kinda game breaking/frustrating.

Clebold

Jan 24, 2012
Lets just say this: If the game is anywhere near as good as the demo was (and I am pretty sure it will be), we easily have an early contender for game of the year on our hands. also, if it doesnt live up to expectations, expect a large group of angry nerds to burn down half of Edmonton in protest

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Zydrate said:
Side note?

I didn't even know the kid died. I didn't see the shuttle he climbed onto get destroyed. Maybe something else in the screen caught my eyes?

That's how much I cared about the kid. Enough to where something else in the screen caught my interest more than his shuttle.

That said, the kid's animation was great. It looked like a kid.

More than I can say for the ones Skyrim borrowed from Fallout >_>
The kid getting blown up actually made me laugh. It was such a blatent attempt to make us feel something, it just came across as clumsy, I just said to myself, "well, he did say that I couldn't save him".

Other than that, pretty much unimpressed with both levels in the demo. I'm not sure how Bioware managed it, but they managed to make escaping from Earth while its under attack really boring. I know Mass Effect is not based around the action but there was just no urgency to the level, it was like I could of hung around for a couple of hours before I was in any real danger. I assumed that they were saving the good stuff for later on in the game, then I played the second part of the demo and I was equally unimpressed.

This demo has changed my mind from a day one purchase to a "maybe, if the reviews are good, otherwise it can wait until it hits about £20".

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Good demo, showed the combat really well.
Bioware kept dialogue choices to a minimum obviously in the demo.
Combat was fun. I like the targeting system for the allies.

Basically I hope to import my save and see all the different choices I get and ashley won't be there cause she got spaced in my first game.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Kashrlyyk said:
Ascarus said:

this has always been the biggest issue facing a resolution to the ME series. how can any race (or combination of races) stand up to a "race" like the reapers whose sole (and unknowable) purpose seems to be the elimination of other species at their apex? granted having some warning will help, but i will be curious to see how bioware resolves that problem without reducing the reapers into just another powerful race or obstacle to overcome (like the collectors).
With a deus ex machina! And probably it's going to be a stupid one too.

The end of ME1 makes you wonder if Sovereign actually needed all those Geth ships? Couldn't it just ram or shoot everything around it, while taking no damage at all? I personally think Bioware wrote themselves into a corner here.
You'll love this then.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/The_Prothean

This may or may not constitute a spoiler.

Boom129

Apr 23, 2008
Theminimanx said:
I like it a lot, but there's one weird issue I ran into. When I selected the option that everyone who could be dead, would be dead, everyone was still alive. Hell, even Wrex was still alive, and his death was a big deal back in ME1. Has this happened to anyone else?
To my understanding this was just for the demo's sake, perhaps there's a huge divergence fromit but I don't know
hell, it is possible to get Kirrahe killed in ME1

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Frozengale said:
You know what we HAVEN'T got a feel for? Earth! It would be fine if in the second game they decided to give Earth a big plot point and then bring it back as the major plot point. But we know almost nothing of Earth and we are making it the focus of the final part of a trilogy. Once again I'll bring a Lord of the Ring analogy. Imagine if we were not introduced to the Shire until the third book. We know Frodo and the others come from the Shire but we have no feel for it. Then suddenly the last book all they talk about is how they are just trying to save the Shire, how Sam wants to go back to that one girl, they talk and reminisce about their adventures there all the time. It would be weird, because we've never been give a reason to care for the Shire. We don't know what it's like, what the people are like, what sort of life the hobbits led before the ring. We just knew it sort of existed.
I absolutely see what you're getting at, but at the same time I don't think it's a big stretch to assume that the people playing the game (ie: humans) will have an attachment to Earth and will want to save it from the Reaper menace.

Would it be cool if we could have gone there in previous games and developed a closer connection to it? Sure, maybe, but I don't think it would have worked very well in the context of the story for those games given that they both take place so far away from Earth.

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
Freechoice said:
Kashrlyyk said:
With a deus ex machina! And probably it's going to be a stupid one too.

The end of ME1 makes you wonder if Sovereign actually needed all those Geth ships? Couldn't it just ram or shoot everything around it, while taking no damage at all? I personally think Bioware wrote themselves into a corner here.
You'll love this then.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/The_Prothean

This may or may not constitute a spoiler.
Thanks for reminding me. The best part of that page is the description of the armor!
Don't anti-freezing agents stop working after a while? I doubt they work for 50000 years without decomposing.

The more I think about it the more I realize that Sovereign was either an idiot or the writers were bad. On top of what I mentioned above Joker mentions in a dialogue that it has supreme maneuverability, which would be an awesome way to do "hit-and-run" attacks on all the fleets until none are left.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
I liked it a lot except for the conversation, it seemed like they took control away from you to let shep talk on his own, which was not normal.

Zayren

Dec 5, 2008
One of the writers said some of the dialogue in the main game was cut out from the demo because the file size was pretty large.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I could spend ten hours talking about how much the Mass Effect 3 demo sucked, but I'll try to do it in nine.
[sub](Red Letter Media reference)[/sub]

First off, different play modes.
Seriously what is the point of having 3 different play modes? It's like Bioware is catering to people who don't want to play Mass Effect. Story Mode is just insulting, and pointless if Role Playing Mode has adjustable difficulties. Unless of course there's more dialog and story in Story Mode. Then in that case Why wasn't it all in RP Mode. It's like Bioware was thinking nobody would want to experience the story and the gameplay at the same time so they broke it up into 3 different sections. And that didn't even help anybody, people who didn't play the first two games because of way to much dialog aren't going to like action mode because there's the same amount of dialog they just don't get to pick the responses.
I'm willing to forgive this if every difficulty setting and conversation option is available in RP mode.

Secondly, Paragon/Renegade
Was I the only one who noticed that in the Demo the Neutral and Investigate options were suspiciously absent? Hopefully that's just to conserve space for the demo and the full release will have all the options but the talking is the biggest part of Mass Effect so not including that in the demo is just sort of fucked if you ask me. (Which you did)

Third, How it started.
Why is Shepard back on Earth? Why is Shepard back with the Alliance? Why isn't Anderson a councilor any more? Who the fuck is James Vega? Why does Kaiden outrank you? Again maybe that's just a demo problem. Perhaps that's not where the game starts or maybe once we get to import our Mass Effect 2 saves the start will be different. But seeing that was just a little unsettling.

Fourth, The run animation.
The first thing you do when you get control is follow Anderson across some Catwalks and watching him run is the most uncanny valley this series has ever been. And this is Bioware we're talking about.

Fifth, The Holographic Knife.
Just fucking NO. NO, NO, NO.

Sixth, The gameplay.
It's still a cover based shooter so even perfectly executed the gameplay would still be boring as fuck.

6.5, Grenades.
Grenades don't translate well into cover-based gameplay. You need to be able to run away from grenades and if the act of standing up puts you in grave danger running just makes it worse. Taking grenades out was the biggest improvement Mass Effect 2 made over Mass Effect 1 and now they're undoing that. It's just wrong.

Seventh, The fucking AI.
Your squad mates don't seem to understand the function of cover. They'll run around back and forth between covers or just sit down on the wrong side of it. (The same thing was the matter with Mass Effect 2 as well)

Eighth, Halo Reach called. they want their health system back.
Not really a bad thing I actually liked the health system from Reach, but It's discouraging to see even more people ripping off already uninspired shooters .

8.5, Gears of War 3 called they want their shitty multyplayer back.
This is a big problem for me. I already don't like Multyplayer on principle. Mass Effect is at heart a single player game. The head of Bioware's marketing was once quoted as saying. "Why would you want us to taint this beautiful single player experience with multyplayer." But then they went and spent valuable resources that could have been better spend literally anywhere else, ripping off the Hoard Mode from Gears of War.

Ninth, The button multiplicity effect.
Think about this for a minute. Hold the A button to sprint. Press the A button to take cover, and tap the A button to jump like an idiot. Taking cover and running are two polar opposite commands as it stands, putting them on the same button led to well over half my deaths in ME 2.(You'd want to run away from a charging enemy and you'd Velcro your self to a wall instead just because you happened to be with in ten feet of a cover-able surface when you pressed the A button.) but now they added the stupid fucking jump to the mix so now you'll be trying to take cover standing right next to a wall or a box or what ever and it's still a toss up whether your going to hide or leap like a freak out into the middle of gunfire? This is a cover based shooter. Taking cover and running to the next section of cover should be the most intuitive parts of the game. Instead those controls are the most temperamental and unreliable part of the whole game.

Tenth, I want to harp on the multyplayer some more.
So they let you pick your class but they don't let you pick your race until you unlock them through playing. Why can't any game just give you all the customization options before you start playing? Did some designer with a mental condition say that locking away all the cool shit was a good idea and everybody just went with it? I want to play as a god damn Turian, I don't want to have to unlock the god damn Turian just so I can play as him. Fuck!

I have been psyching my self up for Mass Effect 3 to suck space balls just to off set the hype, And you know Mass Effect 2 had a lot of gameplay problems that I overlooked because the writing was so good and the scope of the game was well presented, and ME 3 could potentially give off that same feeling. So I'll reserve judgement until the final release (Especially because I already payed for it) But some of those problems won't go away with wistful denial.

Oh, and here.
What I liked.

1) The level up system.
It looks like a great mix of ME 1 and 2. Upgrading powers multiple times seems like it'll work great.

2) The Fan-service.
So yeah, I am a Mass Effect Fanboy and I do appreciate the catering to. Seeing Wrex and Garrus's banter and having Mordin back, and all the other characters that I'm sure are going to make cameo's. Not to mention a Female Krogan. We'll probably get to see female Turians and Salarians too.
DON'T SHOW TALI'S FACE. or any Quarians for that matter. They had their chance last game and they chose not to. Doing so now will only serve to piss everyone off.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
what's with the aiming? Seriously it's like Shepard drank six cups of espresso and forgot to put in his contacts this morning.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
I loved it all (even multiplayer!) except for two major flaws:
-lack of dialogue options
-Anderson running

Czaran

Jan 22, 2011
I still loved it, although I am extremly biased. Basically I pre-ordered it so even if it sucks, I'll force myself to enjoy it. Thats how it went with Brink...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Terrara said:
I loved it all (even multiplayer!) except for two major flaws:
-lack of dialogue options
-Anderson running
I am really glad that I'm not the only person who was creeped out by Anderson's run animation.
He runs like he's got flaming spiders crawling up all his limbs.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
Mikeyfell said:
I am really glad that I'm not the only person who was creeped out by Anderson's run animation.
He runs like he's got flaming spiders crawling up all his limbs.
Mother of God....
Cannot be unseen D:>