So "sandwich shaming" is now a thing.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Not a difficult answer. Savory, fresh, satisfying crunch... add a little sweet and spicy with a sauce and you have a lot of the "tasty" boxes checked. Messy and inconvenient, a little. But easily compensated for and not much of a dealbreaker.
I think I would rather have the same content, but in a wrap and with the taco smashed up and mixed in.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I think I would rather have the same content, but in a wrap and with the taco smashed up and mixed in.
Unfortunately Taco Bell made the "crunchwrap" and Taco Bell is garbage. And enclosed inside any kind of wrap for even a short time, fried crispy shell becomes soggy and just... wrong bread.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Unfortunately Taco Bell made the "crunchwrap" and Taco Bell is garbage. And enclosed inside any kind of wrap for even a short time, fried crispy shell becomes soggy and just... wrong bread.
I've never had Taco Bell. But good point on the sogginess. Maybe some way to adhere the taco shards to the outside of the wrap with some sort of bread-glue.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

This topic now has me imagining that all anyone is doing in this painting is discussing what makes something a sandwich or a burger and other "food philosophy".

I don't understand why people would eat tacos. It's just so difficult! If you overfill, it falls out one end or the other, and if you don't then the first few bites are just stale doritos. And the moment you bite into any part of it the entire bastard thing falls apart.

Wraps, on the other hand, are good walking-down-the-street food.
BAFFLE! We agree on something, at long last!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't understand why people would eat tacos. It's just so difficult! If you overfill, it falls out one end or the other, and if you don't then the first few bites are just stale doritos. And the moment you bite into any part of it the entire bastard thing falls apart.

Wraps, on the other hand, are good walking-down-the-street food.
I've never had a hard shell taco for that reason. It seems far too difficult to eat.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

This topic now has me imagining that all anyone is doing in this painting is discussing what makes something a sandwich or a burger and other "food philosophy".
Probably arguing about whether they should just go to the Parthian down the road again for lunch, or try that new Caledonian place across town.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Today I was thinking that the Xtra Long Chicken Sandwich from Burger King would then be a burger by the definition of the guy who was banned. I then thought, wow I really have nothing to do lately.
...Wait...someone got banned about this? Please tell me it was not connected to discussing the culinary merits of burger v sandwich?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've never had a hard shell taco for that reason. It seems far too difficult to eat.
Eating a hard shell taco goes something like this:

1.) First bite is the obligatory low bite, mostly just the meat at the bottom.
2.) Second bite is mostly toppings as another bite of meat at the bottom upsets the integrity of the the taco leaving a mess in your lap.
3.) Third bite? Anyone's guess. Do you want more "just toppings" or more "just meat" because no human mouth ever has been capable of a full, appreciable bite of the whole thing unless their ancestors were boa constrictors.
4.) Either way, the shell has mostly certainly cracked at this point leaving the individual to manage a mess in their hands as they opt to alternating bites of meat and toppings.

Fuck Tacos. "Taco Tuesdays" are a farce and would certainly be coopted by burritos or a nacho salad would there haven been a day of the week starting with "B" or "N." I don't think anyone actually likes tacos; it's just the zeitgeist and "Salad Saturday" sounds like a page from an extreme leftist vegan's propaganda pamphlet.

Reactions: Agema

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I think if I were to try again, I'd just use a spoon to eat the taco filling, then eat the taco shell.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Fun fact, a "hamburger" derives from a "hamburg steak" which was a colloquial American term for a minced beef patty. Until the early 20th century, a minced beef patty in a bread bun would have been called a "hamburg steak sandwich". This was later shorted to "hamburger", and ultimately "burger".

So "chicken burger" is etymologically wrong on several levels. Not that it matters, language evolves, but it does make insisting on it as the standard term pretty silly.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think if I were to try again, I'd just use a spoon to eat the taco filling, then eat the taco shell.
Hence why nacho salad is a thing and a more practical option than a taco. #FuckTacos

Fun fact, a "hamburger" derives from a "hamburg steak" which was a colloquial American term for a minced beef patty. Until the early 20th century, a minced beef patty in a bread bun would have been called a "hamburg steak sandwich". This was later shorted to "hamburger", and ultimately "burger".

So "chicken burger" is etymologically wrong on several levels. Not that it matters, language evolves, but it does make insisting on it as the standard term pretty silly.
Again with rationality; the internets ain't the place for it! Pick a side and defend it with a torrent of foul language and disparaging commentary towards the opposition, e.g.: "Chicken burger" people should die in a fire and their mothers are all whores because "I think so."

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Fuck Tacos. "Taco Tuesdays" are a farce and would certainly be coopted by burritos or a nacho salad would there haven been a day of the week starting with "B" or "N." I don't think anyone actually likes tacos; it's just the zeitgeist and "Salad Saturday" sounds like a page from an extreme leftist vegan's propaganda pamphlet.
Any food that disintergrates over your hands (and if you're unlucky, lap) when you eat should be eaten with a knife and fork. Or chopsticks or whatever, if that's your part of the world.

Consequently ,without cutlery, I tend to hate tacos. The same really goes for burgers where the bread disintegrates or it otherwise drips stuff all over you because it seems to be about 50% sauce, and so on.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I find hard shell tacos to be an awkward food to comfortably eat, though I do still think they are very tasty. I usually go for soft tacos because they are much easier to handle while munching.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I find hard shell tacos to be an awkward food to comfortably eat, though I do still think they are very tasty. I usually go for soft tacos because they are much easier to handle while munching.
Soft Corn meal tacos is where it's at! That said, I will always take a hard shell taco over a flour taco.