So that Witcher 3, eh?

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Zhukov said:
Silverbeard said:
Zhukov said:
tippy2k2 said:
Hell, I can sum up everything you really need to know in a couple of sentances: Geralt is hired to look for his surrogate daughter, who is Super Special and being hunted by damn near everyone who knows she exists. Meanwhile the Nilfguardians (aka 'The Black Ones', aka 'The Kinda Evil Empire') are waging war on the Northern Kingdoms (aka 'The Reds', think pre-unification Germanic states) and shit is getting messy.
One quick addition to your couple on sentences: The surrogate daughter is heir to the throne of Nilfgaard and thus has significant political value to those in the know about such things. And is also being chased by intergalactic slavers who can warp anywhere they wish and freeze the earth whenever they feel like it.
Like I said, Super Special and is being hunted by alomst everyone who knows she exists.
Intergalactic slavers add a new dimension to the chase, I feel. One that deserves special mention.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Zhukov said:
RyQ_TMC said:
ANYWAY.

I wanted to ask people, how does the English dialogue in the game look in terms of real-world references? Because one reason the series is so popular in Poland is that, aside from obvious things like the Grimm fairy tales parodies, it's also chock full of references to Polish pop culture and politics. I always wondered how that translates to other languages.
So far I've encountered one Lord of the Rings reference and one Pulp Fiction quote. Both in incidental/ambient NPC dialogue. That's it.

Of course it's possible that there were others that I either missed or did not recognize.
I've seen references to a lot of things, from the obvious fact that the Necronomicon is a book in the game, to quests named after other games, a specific reference to Snatch (the Guy Ritchie movie) in Novigrad when one of the boxers you have to fight for the boxing sidequest is Georgious Georg and a bunch of others. So yeah, for those that look there are definitely a bunch of references. Perhaps not Skyrim level, which I'd argue is a good thing.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
RyQ_TMC said:
ANYWAY.

I wanted to ask people, how does the English dialogue in the game look in terms of real-world references? Because one reason the series is so popular in Poland is that, aside from obvious things like the Grimm fairy tales parodies, it's also chock full of references to Polish pop culture and politics. I always wondered how that translates to other languages.
So far I've encountered one Lord of the Rings reference and one Pulp Fiction quote. Both in incidental/ambient NPC dialogue. That's it.

Of course it's possible that there were others that I either missed or did not recognize.
Anymore people shouting Jeysus Chroist! whenever you draw a sword in a public area? I thought that was hilarious considering christianity doesn't exactly exist in the Witcher world.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Gethsemani said:
Zhukov said:
RyQ_TMC said:
ANYWAY.

I've seen references to a lot of things, from the obvious fact that the Necronomicon is a book in the game, to quests named after other games, a specific reference to Snatch (the Guy Ritchie movie) in Novigrad when one of the boxers you have to fight for the boxing sidequest is Georgious Georg and a bunch of others. So yeah, for those that look there are definitely a bunch of references. Perhaps not Skyrim level, which I'd argue is a good thing.
One of the other boxing quests contains a fight club reference when you fight an elf named durdin who is also a tailor, I remember thinking it was odd that they kept calling him the tailor until I put the two together and realized he was durdin the tailor, tailor durdin, Tyler durden.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
What matters to me in these "how good a medium is" discussions is really the average. That is what I have been arguing since post 1.

Lets agree to disagree. I dont see TV's best holding a candle to what Literature can offer right now. And I dont see both being all that great...

But it seems you have different view of things. That and you believe in "objectivity" in an art form.
It's impossible to know the average unless you're a critic that reviews just about every work in your medium. Whether it's games, movies, etc., I only try to experience the works that I feel have a good shot at being good. I'm not going to see a movie that I think looks bad or even average just to get a sense of what is indeed average for movies. It's impossible for pretty much anybody to know the quality of the average work in any medium. I know TV has gotten immensely better just due to the fact that pretty much every show before the 90s is basically unwatchable for me (even the so-called good ones).

I don't believe there's objectivity in art, I don't know where the fuck you got that from.

Marxie said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The writing quality just isn't there in gaming at all, it's not even close.
Planescape:Torment? Mask of the Betrayer? Arcanum? VtM: Bloodlines? 7th Guest? Ring any bells?

Phoenixmgs said:
There's barely any competent writers in the video game industry and it shows immensely
>who is Chris Avellone?

Phoenixmgs said:
I played Xenosaga, Nier, a couple Final Fantasies
Give me the name of the man who advertised you these as games with good writing so I can kill him and desecrate his cold dead body.
-All those games are rather old. I didn't say there's no well-written games ever. Each generation, I only ever feel a small handful of games actually do have good writing whereas there's lots of movies with great writing each year. A dev like Platinum actually has some of the better writing because they know what they can do, and what they can do is write terrifically cheesy B-movie dialogue and stories. Vanquish instead of being all serious like other futuristic shooters (and failing) was basically Red Dawn in space with Russian robots. Even a dev like Naughty Dog puts out horrible scripts like say Uncharted 3 where the story made no coherent sense and the characters were horribly inconsistent.

-So there's one good writer in the medium? Not surprised he's from Obsidian as they are one of the very few devs that have competent to good writing.

-Xenosaga might've started off good, I don't even remember. But, by the end, the story was just average at best, probably shitty (it's been awhile). The worst thing was the convolutedness of it all; every person, planet, etc. had at least 3 different names. I actually liked the 2nd game the most whereas that's the most hated one.

I saw so much praise on message boards about Nier's story that I had to give it a try. I even recall skimming through a thread where Nier fans said Naughty Dog ripped off Nier's story in The Last of Us.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960449-nier/59454377

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I do not know if it is a reference to him looking and sounding a little like solid snake, but if you let Geralt taste somebody's dumpling (tee hee), he even says "mmm tasty!" Im going to assume it is for now.

There are many well placed sarcastic remarks...
Favourite sarcastic Geralt quote so far :"Oh joy. A riddle." (i know, it's really in the timing, context and execution, which cannot be portrayed by these words)
Quite a nice underlay of humour throughout the quests and characters too. It contrasts well with the grim, war torn environment and story. That is all.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I'm still very early in my playthrough of W3, but the one thing that consistantly stuns me is the games ability to make me give a shit about the stupidest quests. In the prologue there is a quest to get a woman's pan, yeah a fucking cooking pan, from the house she is LITERALLY right in front of. In any other game this quest would be lame filler and probably be forgotten by the player the instant they got their quest reward. But in this game, the story and the circumstance for what actually happened with the stolen pan is just so interesting that a two minute quest to get a cooking pan has become one of my most memorable moments thus far.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Adam Jensen said:
All those elaborate explanations as to why people don't like witchers. It's quite simple. They're social outcasts who keep to themselves, they're weird and they ask for money to kill monsters that just ate your loved ones.(...)
That doesn't explain all those regular mooks wanting to pick a fight with you though, knowing full well what you are. I'm beginning to notice that a lot of quest based fights with soldiers or bandits starts with them bolstering how there's only one of you and a larger amount of them. If Witchers are this infamous and thought of as monsters, don't these guys know I have skirmishes like this for breakfast? You'd think they wouldn't wanna fuck with me on general principal. I don't know, it is the Middle Ages -- maybe these people really are that stupid.
Let's say that times have changed a bit.

- humans established themselves well enough to fend off majority of monsters, with species that are drawing too much attention frequently going extinct;

- with that in mind, witchers are becoming obsolete and unnecessary;

- furthermore, it's hard to tell anyone has capability to create new witchers, it's certainly impossible for Kaer Morhen group;

- everything mentioned above means it's harder and harder to actually meet a witcher; you get a bunch of folk tales and Dandelion's drivel as your source material - so no wonder various mooks have a difficult time believing every over-the-top nonsense and rather go "lol, I can take him easy";

The above can change due to:

- war, which inevitably causes a spike in corpse-eater population; law enforcement wanes, military is busy elsewhere, so villages are left to fend for themselves, which emboldens various creatures even further; witchers are in demand, at least for a while - and various morons get their chance to earn a Darwin Prize;

- a significant event, the one people are gossiping about for years; think "Butcher of Blaviken" and what impact it has due to being related to a scary public spectacle, not some 1vs1 monster fight in a cave no one even heard about; obviously, it wanes with the distance as information is using Medieval Crawling Technique to travel;

Unrelated:

- we have no idea Geralt is "the only witcher to care about sex"; if anything, it's understood that witchers are made a bit more interesting in that department exactly because what their mutation causes (not just "no STD, no kids, no problem); what we do have is a lot of stories about Geralt with other witchers remaining relatively anonymous, perhaps because they didn't get their own Dandelion;

- overall quality of AS books does go down, though I won't speak for western translations; short stories are great, Blood of the Elves and Time of Disdain managed to keep me interested with intrigue, politics and certain twists, but, in retrospect, everything later felt like worth reading only because I already had an investment and a diminishing hope resolution wouldn't look like some washed-out arthurian reference; so much for that I guess; I agree preaching and amateurish social commentary gets more and more cringeworthy - which is yet another proof that you can be a good storyteller, a wordsmith and a joker without having anything worthwhile to say on your own; sadly, AS tries so hard... :/

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Zhukov said:
Longing said:
You've mentioned that they seem to have toned the maturity *finger quotes* down, but is it actually playable if you don't want to wade knees deep in gross GOT-like muddy waters?
That's a somewhat imprecise question. Hard to answer.

The muddiness is still there, it just isn't shoveled down your throat quite as enthusiastically as in previous outings.

Does every woman in the game still throws herself cleavage first at Geralt and if they do can you just go 'no thanks mam'?
They do not. I've only encountered one cleavage-catapult thus far, and they tried to give it some context and reason. Said reason makes fuck-all sense, but they tried. She was actually a rather likeable character too, which was nice.

The option to say "no thanks" is provided.
thank you for your insight, I actually went ahead and brought the game.
Had a bit of worry when the first scene of the game is full on lady butt in your face, but I'm a couple hours in and enjoying it immensely.

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
My biggest laugh out of the game yet was in a underwater cave somewhere along the shore in Velen. I walked into a big room, with like 7 Drowners, and I swear to god, both Geralt ingame and me outside said at the exact same time "Drowners, who would've thought?"

I know, it sounds stupid. But it was in perfect sync!

Anyway:

- The quests are amazing. The Bloody Baron had everything, humour, drama, cool fights, interesting lore, and ended with me sympathizing with a man I had previously thought a monster. Even the Witcher Contracts mix it up withd etective work and interesting background. I ahve to agree with Zhukov tough, as someone with the "NEED TO EMPTY QUESTLOG"-sickness, it _can_ get an itsy bitsy bit tedious at times. Especially when Questlocations are miles apart.

- Game could've profitted a bit more from more enemy diversity, or at least, less Drowners. I killed enough Drowners to glue around 30 of their tongues to my shirt and becoming the fourth Crone "Drowness".

- Romance is awesome. I liked Triss Merigold back in W2, but she's outright amazing in W3 as well. Other ladies are interesting as well, and it's not just one simple conversation consisting of "Do you wish to see an incredibly unsatisfying sex scene now, player?" like in previous games. Merigold best Waifu, btw.

- Monster hunting is all kinds of fun. Combined with the improved Alchemy system it's really fun to prepare for another hunting trip.

- Crafting is a nice idea. Altough the moment you get the Diagrams for the first Witcher Gear set, all other DIagrams become literally useless. You will basically choose one of the gear sets, and then wear and improve that over the course of the game. Altough it's not THAT bad, as the gear also changes visually each time you upgrade it. The Mastercrafted Ursine armor makes me squee like an exciteable schoolgirl.

- I have a serious Gwent Addiction. Seriously, I hunt these cards harder than I hunt Ciri.

- Game has a habit of parading Characters from previous games around. Usually, it's fine as they are relevant to the story and get some development. However, occasionally they just show up, go "Hi I'm alive btw", and then bugger off again. Take this with a grain of salt tough, I'm not trough with he game yet, maybe there's some payoff I missed, or is yet to come.

All in all, forme at least, best RPG in YEARS.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Casual Shinji said:
I'm not too well known with the story of the previous games either, but the story in W3 doesn't seem to have too many connections apart from some things going on in the world. It's all about Geralt tracking down his surrogate daughter. There's obviously some things that'll go right by you, but I'm finding that most of my enjoyment comes from all the little side stories, like the one of the Bloody Baron.
Haven't played it yet, but by "surrogate daughter" I assume you mean Ciri? The one who's a Source, technically a princess, and has been trained as a witcher (but not been put through the special diet or the trial of grasses for two reasons: Firstly that they don't exactly know what it would do to a woman as it causes hormonal changes among other things, and secondly that it leads to sterility in men, and being a princess and last in her line...)?

Technically, if you read The Last Wish (specifically A Question of Price) you can find out why Geralt has a surrogate daughter in the first place, and she's rather important elsewhere in the books as well. The bit about why they didn't subject her to the diet or the trial of grasses is explained at the beginning of The Blood of Elves, for example.

EDIT: Forgot to throw in that Ciri is also technically a fulfillment of "The Last Wish", since it's not hard to guess what the last wish was. The last wish was something impossible (at least directly), that would tie Geralt and Yennefer's destinies together and prevent the djinn from killing Yennefer once set free.

Apr 5, 2008
Zhukov said:
- Maybe I'm missing something here, but the Witchers being considered freakish pariahs makes no damn sense. The world is up to it's goddamned ears in monsters. Every single village you go to has got something or other eating their kids the moment they step into the treeline. You'd think in a world like that people who kill the monsters for a living would be incredibly popular. There's something about Witcher mutations and/or training "stripping them of humanity and emotion" or whatnot, but that doesn't jive either since Geralt, inexpressive though he may be, pretty clearly feels emotions and shit. Hell, if nothing else you'd think the haters would keep it to themselves. "Hey, so, see that heavily armed, spell-slinging, sword-swinging, cat-eyed guy over there who represents a guild known entirely for being remorseless killing machines? Yeah, well, imma go spit in his beer. There is no way this could possibly end poorly."
Haven't played the game yet so cannot comment on that (not sure why I'm holding out. I'll end up playing it well after everyone else has and have no one to talk about it with at this rate!). But about this comment, I can address it. I've delved further into Witcher lore than the games, having read the books, watched the TV show (early Naughties) and many other sources and discussions.

The reason the Witchers are pariahs is in a way, similar to the X-Men fear/hatred angle. Young boys are taken as children and undergo rigorous training and mutation thru the use of magic potions (a process girls don't survive at all). Many of the boys die in the process and those who survive become Witchers. The process leaves them emotionless and without desire but gives them enhanced strength, stamina, agility, vision and magic abilities (the Signs) all of which make them suited to their task of hunting the world's monsters.

Geralt is unique even among the few Witchers. The "process" as it were went "wrong" during his mutation (you could say, it "mutated" :)). He gained all the Witcher abilities but didn't lose his capacity for emotion and sexual desire. Also, it turned all his hair white (from when he was a boy), something that never happened before. The white hair and the fact he was from the "Wolf School" (there are 3 schools in the books, 5 in the games: Wolf, Griffin and Cat in the books, Viper in Assassins of Kings and Bear in Wild Hunt) gave him the nickname, the White Wolf.

It's thus no surprise how the majority see Witchers; the common folk see them as child-stealers, mutant freaks, secretive nomads who come thru town often leaving dead bodies in their wake. They have magic that alone is strange and fearful, and wear two swords unlike mundane fighters. There may also be elements of reputation preceeding them, but in a world where there is a lot of hate/distrust of other races (Scoia'Tel, racism, xenophobia, slums, etc) the Witchers are also another race that isn't human.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I honestly don't see how some people are gushing over this game. It's a moderate to good game, but I've heard some people say 9.5 or 10/10 and I'm like yea...no.
There's just so many small things that grate on my nerves.

-Gold: Seriously why do the heaviest things like weapons and armor sell for absolutely nothing? I can sell my entire inventory's worth of swords, maces, axes, etc for like 20 gold...and I still won't be able to afford a loaf of bread that would only heal a tiny fraction of my health. Oh but you want to buy back that weapon you sold for 1-2 gold a pop....it'll cost you 70-80, wtf?! And you have so little gold when you start but in the first zone people are selling things for hundreds of gold. I'm just cringing at the notion that I'll have to go out and hunt down every recipe for alchemy and crafting when I finally get gold.

-Merchants: I've had some flat out disappear, I don't know why. And some just don't seem to ever replenish their gold stock.

-AI: Of for the love of god I don't understand what's happening with Roach. I swear half the time he gets wild horse AI plugged in. I've had him just flat out run off when I summon him and approach, no monsters around just in the middle of town. And his pathing when you do call him, oh lord I've never seen AI dumb enough to just path into a fence or wall and just sit there. And there's always the few awesome times when you summon him and he just spawns into a building or wall.
Also in terms of villager AI, I just find it ripping me out of the world more often than not. Oh sir vandals are knocking over statues of a goddess will you please help me. Sure thing mam....oh as soon as the dialogue tree ends "You Monster, Freak, stay away from us!"...you what now miss? This happens way to frequently and is obscenely jarring when you clear a village or something you'll get NPCs being like oh Geralt I'll name my kid after you, then the next second "It's a witcher, hide the children!"

-Healing: I really don't get why taking damage is so punishing in this game, having it carry a supermarket's worth of items to heal is just annoying. Oh great that fight went pear shaped now I pretty much have to hit R or F every 20 seconds for the next few minutes so I heal to full again. Why aren't there more consistent healing items or even an ability. I really wish meditation healing wasn't disabled on the higher difficulties.

-Combat/Scaling: This to me is the worst part of the game. I'll be in an area with a level 5 quest, I move like 100 meters up to investigate a "?" and there's a level 15 big boss monster just sitting there. And it just keeps happening over and over. There's just so many odd distributions of enemy levels in some areas. It's like great I sure as shit better remember to go back there in like 10 levels so I can actually take it on...
Why not just give an even distribution in a zone. Also when it comes to levels I really don't like that a lot of it boils down to a level check. Is this monster green? Great! You'll rip it's head off in seconds. Is it red? Prepared to get 2 shot and hack away at their life bar forever. I had a quest to kill a werewolf, he was red to me, I got him to an event part of the fight after chugging potions, using oils, signs, etc. As soon as the dialogue finishes he starts rapidly healing to a point where I flat out can't out dps the healing. I come back a level later, no gear change, blow his ass away in a few hits, no potions, oils, just some sign stuns.
Also I really think it's odd that the sidesteps feels so much better than the dodge roll, the enemies seem to track the dodge roll so much better and more often than not you just get hit as you're coming out of the roll. But hammer the side step and you can pretty much stay glued to an enemy's rear end.

-Loadout: I really don't get why we have skill trees when you only can have only a few slotted at a time. Sure it's cool that you can buff them with mutagens, but why am I dumping skill points into a tree just to have them rot because I've unlocked the next tier which won't become powerful until a few more levels?

Don't get me wrong it's a decent game, but I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they made some decisions.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Yo, you probably shouldn't play on 3/4 or 4/4 if you have problems with the damage taken.

Also, item sell prizes are very good, because in every other game you have 2000000000000000000 gold 20 hours in and don't ever need it. Wouldn't mind a buy back though.
I got 6000, sailed to Skellige, bought some stuff, and was back to 1000. It was good, because I have more reason to do Witcher Contracts.

But it has its flaws, objectively you can't give it 10/10. Subjectively you can.
(PS: lol objectivity)

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
the silence said:
Yo, you probably shouldn't play on 3/4 or 4/4 if you have problems with the damage taken.

Also, item sell prizes are very good, because in every other game you have 2000000000000000000 gold 20 hours in and don't ever need it. Wouldn't mind a buy back though.
I got 6000, sailed to Skellige, bought some stuff, and was back to 1000. It was good, because I have more reason to do Witcher Contracts.

But it has its flaws, objectively you can't give it 10/10. Subjectively you can.
(PS: lol objectivity)
I am having a problem finding vendors with stuff i actually want. I am in Velen and have 2800 orens and nothing to do with it.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Rednog said:
I honestly don't see how some people are gushing over this game. It's a moderate to good game, but I've heard some people say 9.5 or 10/10 and I'm like yea...no.
There's just so many small things that grate on my nerves.

-Gold: Seriously why do the heaviest things like weapons and armor sell for absolutely nothing? I can sell my entire inventory's worth of swords, maces, axes, etc for like 20 gold...and I still won't be able to afford a loaf of bread that would only heal a tiny fraction of my health. Oh but you want to buy back that weapon you sold for 1-2 gold a pop....it'll cost you 70-80, wtf?! And you have so little gold when you start but in the first zone people are selling things for hundreds of gold. I'm just cringing at the notion that I'll have to go out and hunt down every recipe for alchemy and crafting when I finally get gold.

-Merchants: I've had some flat out disappear, I don't know why. And some just don't seem to ever replenish their gold stock.

-AI: Of for the love of god I don't understand what's happening with Roach. I swear half the time he gets wild horse AI plugged in. I've had him just flat out run off when I summon him and approach, no monsters around just in the middle of town. And his pathing when you do call him, oh lord I've never seen AI dumb enough to just path into a fence or wall and just sit there. And there's always the few awesome times when you summon him and he just spawns into a building or wall.
Also in terms of villager AI, I just find it ripping me out of the world more often than not. Oh sir vandals are knocking over statues of a goddess will you please help me. Sure thing mam....oh as soon as the dialogue tree ends "You Monster, Freak, stay away from us!"...you what now miss? This happens way to frequently and is obscenely jarring when you clear a village or something you'll get NPCs being like oh Geralt I'll name my kid after you, then the next second "It's a witcher, hide the children!"

-Healing: I really don't get why taking damage is so punishing in this game, having it carry a supermarket's worth of items to heal is just annoying. Oh great that fight went pear shaped now I pretty much have to hit R or F every 20 seconds for the next few minutes so I heal to full again. Why aren't there more consistent healing items or even an ability. I really wish meditation healing wasn't disabled on the higher difficulties.

-Combat/Scaling: This to me is the worst part of the game. I'll be in an area with a level 5 quest, I move like 100 meters up to investigate a "?" and there's a level 15 big boss monster just sitting there. And it just keeps happening over and over. There's just so many odd distributions of enemy levels in some areas. It's like great I sure as shit better remember to go back there in like 10 levels so I can actually take it on...
Why not just give an even distribution in a zone. Also when it comes to levels I really don't like that a lot of it boils down to a level check. Is this monster green? Great! You'll rip it's head off in seconds. Is it red? Prepared to get 2 shot and hack away at their life bar forever. I had a quest to kill a werewolf, he was red to me, I got him to an event part of the fight after chugging potions, using oils, signs, etc. As soon as the dialogue finishes he starts rapidly healing to a point where I flat out can't out dps the healing. I come back a level later, no gear change, blow his ass away in a few hits, no potions, oils, just some sign stuns.
Also I really think it's odd that the sidesteps feels so much better than the dodge roll, the enemies seem to track the dodge roll so much better and more often than not you just get hit as you're coming out of the roll. But hammer the side step and you can pretty much stay glued to an enemy's rear end.

-Loadout: I really don't get why we have skill trees when you only can have only a few slotted at a time. Sure it's cool that you can buff them with mutagens, but why am I dumping skill points into a tree just to have them rot because I've unlocked the next tier which won't become powerful until a few more levels?

Don't get me wrong it's a decent game, but I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they made some decisions.
All valid points but i'd add that there's also a problem with pacing. I spent hours yesterday just trying to find a quest in my level range with no success. It's been advertised as being bigger than Skyrim, which it is, but they left out the fact that there's much less to do. Hell I enjoyed the Hinterlands in Dragon Age more than Velen. At least in the Hinterlands there was shit to do every couple of minutes. In the Witcher 3 i'm just riding around (the first game where the horse is necessary btw) desperately looking for some fucking content. I read post here where someone mentioned putting 40 hours into the game and accomplishing nothing.

Pretty game though.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Nimzabaat said:
All valid points but i'd add that there's also a problem with pacing. I spent hours yesterday just trying to find a quest in my level range with no success. It's been advertised as being bigger than Skyrim, which it is, but they left out the fact that there's much less to do. Hell I enjoyed the Hinterlands in Dragon Age more than Velen. At least in the Hinterlands there was shit to do every couple of minutes. In the Witcher 3 i'm just riding around (the first game where the horse is necessary btw) desperately looking for some fucking content. I read post here where someone mentioned putting 40 hours into the game and accomplishing nothing.

Pretty game though.
What difficulty are you playing on? I do find that yes discoveries and things on the map are rarely my level, I don't have too much trouble fighting things several levels higher than I am. Of course I have to be much more careful and prepared when going to fight a Basilisk five levels higher than me, but that only adds to the challenge. There is literally stuff everywhere, while sometimes an area needs to be revisited in order to complete it, I've not found myself hunting for things to do. Although I'm only 18hours in, so perhaps that changes later?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
CritialGaming said:
Nimzabaat said:

Pretty game though.
What difficulty are you playing on? I do find that yes discoveries and things on the map are rarely my level, I don't have too much trouble fighting things several levels higher than I am. Of course I have to be much more careful and prepared when going to fight a Basilisk five levels higher than me, but that only adds to the challenge. There is literally stuff everywhere, while sometimes an area needs to be revisited in order to complete it, I've not found myself hunting for things to do. Although I'm only 18hours in, so perhaps that changes later?
I'm playing on normal I think. I'm running around Novigrad at level 4 and haven't found a quest lower than level 9 yet. I've heard that basically I should be playing Gwent to boost my level but... shouldn't there be something fun to do? To add to the frustration, I embarass some priest and very shortly after a couple level 15 goons come after me. Since the experience gain from fighting random mobs is lower than hiring prostitutes, I just pass them by. All in all (I never thought I'd say this) CD Projekt could have taken some notes from the Assassin Creed series. Yeah those maps are super cluttered but at least they're no just "Scenery Simulator" games.