So "this" happened again.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
This is why I took karate for several years. So if I need to defend myself, I can. I haven't been in any fight like situation since school.

Came kind of close one time, but it was deflated by intimidating the agitator.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Zeren said:
Situations like this are why I conceal carry a .45.
How does that actually work?
Not the piece, I mean how do you draw and aim before the mugger, who most likely already has shiv in hand, shanks you a few times, and jacks the .45 to mug more efficiently with?

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Once at work (30 years old, garden center employee, only one there on that slow summer day,) this man came in and started asking questions about different trees and shrubs. Everything going normal and all. Then he asks if he can "suck my dick." I say, "No, sorry, dude, I'm not into guys." He continues to offer. Then to insist. I honestly thought he would attempt to, like... Is there even a term for a forced BJ? I don't know. Fortunately, another car pulled into the lot and he left, because he was getting closer and closer no matter how much I insisted that there would be no blowin' going on, and I was probably 6 seconds from having to beat him up.

Worst part is I was worried that I'd be maligned for beating up a gay man, despite my honest to God terror that I was going to be gayed upon against my will.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I hope you feel better, that's a terrible thing to deal with. Bullies, am I right?

I was chased by a gypsy n a canoe, once. He was fucking fast in that thing. I ran the fuck away and I do not regret that. I can stand up for myself but live ina place like the one I live in, you learnt o pick your battles.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I was moved to the adult class in karate a year early, where I was nicknamed 'demon child', except for that one time my voice cracked during drills and I was 'warrior princess'.

I have 'The Look', and as such this sort of thing simply does not happen to me. On the rare occasion that there was a potential for violence The Look diffused the situation, once as late as a cocked fist.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
If a drunk guy bothers you most of the time you can talk him off, or kick his ass if it comes to it, usually by tripping them down or throwing (punching doesn't work so good on drunk people, they tend to shrug it off).

Now if a junkie bothers you, it's a different story altogether, especially if he is obviously crashing (pale skin, shakes, sweat). Those fuckers WILL kill you for ten bucks. Hell, they might kill their mother for ten bucks. Best thing to do is just give them your wallet and whatever else they ask. If you live in a shitty neighborhood, you might want to keep 20-30 bucks in your wallet for just such an emergency, cause they might off you anyway if they don't get enough cash to score a hit.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Damn. all I can say is the feeling will pass. I was visiting some people in London and while in a bank 3 guys with shotguns robbed the place. One even put the damn thin an inch from my face. Made it out ok but I spent the next 2 weeks drunk as an American who thinks he is Irish on St patricks day.

Here is a story to cheer you up tho. I live in a town where nothing has really happened since WW2. But last year someone robbed Sainsburys (a supermarket). They had planned out everything really well. They even stole a really fast Jag as a get away car. problem is they did this at 8am and then got stuck in morning traffic. Did not even make it 20 miles

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
My grandpa was ex-military, taught me how to defend myself against various physical confrontations and how to shoot a gun before I could call myself a 'gamer'.
-READ: Less than age 10.

I've been 'nearly mugged' three times.
Each time I either broke, or fractured, a bone in the muggers' body.

I was jumped several times in middle school, nerds it's always the nerds that get jumped, until word got around I had NO issue with taking my teeth to these 'wanna be ganstas' genitals and clamping down like a vice.

After that...never had an issue...and it was always the bullies that got in trouble, even after I drew first blood and break.

I was raised to only back down when the odds are against you.
Like if it's 3 people with guns or something.

But, if you think you have a chance, it's better to be in the hospital with a few broken bones than at home with your pride broken.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Coppernerves said:
Zeren said:
Not the piece, I mean how do you draw and aim before the mugger, who most likely already has shiv in hand, shanks you a few times, and jacks the .45 to mug more efficiently with?
Being aware of your surroundings and even simply showing that you are armed prevents most attackers from even trying anything. I have encountered muggers before and when they saw that I was armed, they decided to look for a less dangerous target. If I did have to draw, I can do so in approximately one second and at a range less than 20 feet, aiming isn't that hard to do from almost any position. I would rather be armed and have the chance to fight back than not have any chance at all.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Never been mugged. I also don't walk alone at night a lot. And I live in a neighborhood with a church almost every block, a police station about a mile and half away, and fairly close to popular sheriff's department setup points.

Coppernerves said:
Zeren said:
As much as I don't advocate killing muggers, there are more than enough examples in this very thread where one would have been able to draw a weapon quite easily. Though I suspect you don't actually care about that.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Coppernerves said:
Zeren said:
implying they have a knife, are fully prepared to use it, and expecting you to pull a gun. in the majority of cases they would be cowards, hoping you are more scared of them because you weren't expecting it. pretty sure pulling a gun will at the very least unnerve them and make them think twice about carrying on. besides, if you're reaching in to grab your wallet, they can't see the concealed firearm.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Binnsyboy said:
Someone tried to mug me a couple of years ago. The exchange led to me being stabbed in the leg.

Kept my wallet though. Get on my level, muggers! ಠ_ಠ
The muggers cannot get on that level.

Idk when I was like your age I'd have just got the shit kicked out of me, but now I'm a lot bigger and stronger so I'm not an opportune target for that kind of crap.

You did the right thing though it's never wise to fight an armed man when you are not. Especially when firearms are involved. I'll take my chances with a knife, but a gun is a whole other thing.

In recent memory a guy was hitting on my friend (in the rapiest way I've ever seen) on an evening out, she was with her boyfriend, as her boyfriend (he's a frail little thing but a nice enough guy) was getting up to do something about it I'd grabbed the guys head and slammed his face into the bar.

The bartender didn't even seem to notice.
I left with a severe flesh wound, and he left with a broken nose. Seems a fair trade! :D

That said, I'm not a particularly big guy, but people seem to not bother me. I've been told it's because my glare is unnerving.

odolwa99

May 11, 2013
Last summer my brother and I were playing some Red Dead, in a room in our house. All of a sudden we started hearing some thumping sounds and thought maybe it was someone hammering something next door. As it got louder we realised it was coming from our house and went to investigate. When we looked outside, where the sound was coming from, we saw no less than 4 teenagers jumping up and down on our side porch roof and looking for a way in through the back door. Meanwhile there were another 2 or 3 of the little s**ts kicking at the front door trying to break it down.

We made a whole load of noise and that seemed to spook them sufficiently to start legging it. But the experience has now left me slightly paranoid 'in my own goddamn house'!! Now, I keep a knife in proximity at all times so I can brandish it at them if they ever come back.

Thinking back on it though, I was particularly amazed that this all took place at least an hour before sunset and yet none of our neighbours saw, or heard, anything. It was like a ghost town so I guess they chose their moment carefully. But yeah, I know the feeling man. It's not fun.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I used to be in the army cadets when I was younger. One night this guy turns up, whilst we're all on a break. He knows a few of the other people there but I don't know him so I mostly ignored him. Next thing he's come up to me and my friend that I was talking to and starts asking us for cigarettes. We each tell him, in turn, that we don't have anyway. Then he asks us both again. We repeat. He still doesn't take no for an answer. By this point my friend and I are confused and somewhat concerned (he was either an idiot, drunk, or high, not sure), and it must've shown on our faces, because the next thing he asks is "are you taking the piss?"

Before either of us can answer a fist hits me in the side of the head (he'd been leaning in closer and closer the whole time, and I had already had my back to a wall before he approached, so I had no way of seeing it coming or chance to move if I had). By the time I stagger back upright I see my friend had been hit too, and the next thing one of the officers (my friends dad, incidentally) has appeared, pushed this fucking douche to the ground and is standing over him with a metal pipe ready to clobber the shit out of him.

Fortunately others restrained him before he did anything and the douche ran off, to be picked up by the police later that night. The police already knew him, he'd been in trouble plenty before.

Nowhere near as bad as some of these other stories, since there were plenty of other people there, and the douche wasn't armed, but the only time anything like that has ever happended to me, thankfully.

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
Coppernerves said:
Zeren said:
There are several self-defense courses that teach how to handle this situation, usually some form of turning and pushing the mugger away while opening the range up for a draw of the pistol.

OT:
I've been on the receiving end of two mugging attempts, and both times came from me walking home from my favorite cigar shop.

I didn't have a CCW permit the first time, but I always carry a pocket knife for work. After scaring the guy off (some mid-twenties gym bunny who thought that all he needed was his fists) I immediately took classes for concealed carry.

The second time (some scrawny person with the appearance of a drug-addict) I had my favorite revolver with me, a Taurus Judge. The look on that guy's face when I asked if he wanted ".45 or .410"? Priceless.

I am sorry for those who get mugged and can't or are unable to defend themselves. I suggest either self-defense or martial-arts classes for those who are afraid they would end up in these situations.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
James Joseph Emerald said:
This is the funniest post I've read in a long time.

I'm assuming the comedy is intentional, but if not that's even more hilarious.
Kudos, in either case!
Not intentional, actually. Larp over here can get pretty horror movie-esque. And if you have a lively imagination like me, those lines really can blur. In gaming they call it immersion, which...I guess applies to LARP as well.

Most larps are crap at immersion, but trust me...the one I go to isn't.

Sep 24, 2008
does it bother anyone that it's legal to be killed, robbed or stabbed but not legal to defend yourself?

There's a lot of talk of appropriate force. How am I supposed to know what that is? Do I know this man's tolerance for pain? Is there any way to assess that? In New York State, it's not legal to do anything but call the police, basically. A knife for protection is illegal, forget about carrying a gun, Batons. The police here are more happy to clean up your body then you having a go of protecting your own life.

I remember doing Grand Jury when I was 23. It was the last day and the prosecutor asked if there were any general questions, since we finished up early. Since they bored me, I figured I'd be an ass and ask a stupid question. I asked if there was any truth to martial artists being arrested for protecting themselves.

You could hear my jaw drop when he said yes. That Defending with Appropriate Force thing again. That a lot of students were taught to break hands or arms. And when they do it, those who started the issues say they didn't have to go that far.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
There is only one way to settle this!

Now go to your corners and come out swingin...

/sigh... Oh google... is there anything you CAN'T Ruin?

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Sorry, nope. Last time I was mugged I was like 9 years old. An older kid walked up to me after I came out of the shop after buying milk and told me to give me my money. Fortunately I had wrapped up what coins I had with the paper money - for no particular reason than because I wanted to - so when he didn't believe me when I said I had none and made me pat my pockets there was no sound. He left me alone then.

I moved back into the same neighbourhood I grew up in a few years ago, and I guess I'm kind of lucky that the muggers generally have an odd sort of "code of honour" in that they don't rob women. They'll rob old men of all ages, and kill their dog too if it gets in the way, but women? For some reason we are exempt. There are also very few, if practically none - AFAIK - rapes between strangers in these parts. Between people who know each other however... But I know like 5 people in this neighbourhood; only two of them are men and one of those men is my brother.

Sorry to hear what happened to you OP, sounds like a lousy end to what could have been a fun day =(

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
I've only been mugged once and it wasn't too terrible. I had ordered pizza and was walking back from picking it up when this guy pulled a knife on me and demanded $10. It was about 2am and no one was around, so I told him that I was sorry and that I didn't have that much. I reached into my pocket and gave him my change. I think it was around $2. Then I asked him if he was alright. My thought process was, why would you rob someone at knife point for only $10? He looked at me funny and walked off.