So uhhh... the Oscars sucked.

Existentialistme

Jan 6, 2011
No surprise there. There's really too much for me to even begin to address so I'll let all of you add your own thoughts to the mix and we'll get the conversation rolling that way.

So thoughts?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
My main thoughts:

1) Waltz winning is the big upset of the night. I guess they really like his Basterds character. Means he'll win again in another couple of years, when Tarantino does his next film and casts him in the same type of role again
2) Lincoln was the favorite when nominations were announced. As a film, it got 1 thing. Day-Lewis was kind of a lock, though. Seeing him crack jokes was fantastic.
3) Anna Karenina winning for Best Costume and NOT Production Design is a shock. I figured it would get both.
4) I still can't believe Cloud Atlas didn't get a nomination in ANYTHING.
5) Skyfall not getting Best Cinematography but instead getting Sound Editing is a surprise. It still got the same number it deserved.
6) Good on Argo winning Best Picture. It had my vote.
7) MacFarlane was pretty funny. He went far enough, which was good.
8) Silver Linings Playbook only got one winner, Jennifer Lawrence, who was better in Winter's Bone and should've won for that, not this. I was rooting for Naomi Watts.
9) Ang Lee getting Best Director was another shock, but he was my second pick, so that's good. It was him or Spielberg, considering Affleck and Bigelow were both snubbed.
10) Brave winning was not a surprise, but part of me was hoping for ParaNorman.
11) I still can't believe Cloud Atlas didn't get a nomination in ANYTHING.
12) Does Ben Affleck thanking Canada at the end of his speech make it all okay? No. No, it does not.
13) No nominations for The Scorpion King 3 means the Oscars had no credibility.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Didn't suck. Plenty of reasons why but I'll give one.

Sound of Music Nazi Joke.

Good Night.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Marter said:
12) Does Ben Affleck thanking Canada at the end of his speech make it all okay? No. No, it does not.

Don't you know that America has done everything good that has ever been done ever? Since the dawn of time?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Dangit2019 said:
Marter said:

Don't you know that America has done everything good that has ever been done ever? Since the dawn of time?
I'm not even actually mad. It's not like the film was a documentary. That part (much like about half of my post) was a joke. (I'm just clarifying at this point.)

Just like your post was joking! =D

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
1) Brave winning animated feature was entirely on hype. It wasn't as good as ParaNorman and certainly not as good as Wreck-It Ralph.
really?

I havnt seen brave but I think i'd have to agree in that they just figure "well PIXAR wins every year so y'know easy award" it does go to show though that the animated catagory might not be as much of a "ghetto" anymore (do they still have the rule that animated features cant run with the big boys? or was that never an actual rule?)

Marter said:
My main thoughts:
1) Waltz winning is the big upset of the night. I guess they really like his Basterds character. Means he'll win again in another couple of years, when Tarantino does his next film and casts him in the same type of role again
best actor? well he was pretty good...not best actor good but that is surprising

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Vault101 said:
best actor? well he was pretty good...not best actor good but that is surprising
No. He was Best Supporting Actor. Best Actor was essentially a lock before the event began; Daniel Day-Lewis (who won) was the odds-on favorite.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Marter said:
Vault101 said:
No. He was Best Supporting Actor. Best Actor was essentially a lock before the event began; Daniel Day-Lewis (who won) was the odds-on favorite.
ah

makes much more sense....I mean daniel day lewis in an oscar bait film...duuuuhhh XD

Crrato

Jun 17, 2008
Marter said:
Best Actor was essentially a lock before the event began; Daniel Day-Lewis (who won) was the odds-on favorite.
Still think it should've gone to Joaquin Phoenix.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Marter said:
Brave winning was not a surprise, but part of me was hoping for ParaNorman.
Oy, really?!

Next to John Carter, Brave was the worst movie I saw that year. I know there are technincally worse films, but Brave was simply the most painfully mediocre waste of time (next to John Carter).

Seriously, there must've been better animated movies this year. Or is Pixar just the default winner now no matter they make?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I was kinda hoping Quvenzhane Wallis would win best lead actress.

I didn't actually see the other nominees films but just cus she would've been the youngest Oscar winner ever (I know she is still the youngest Oscar nominee ever and thats still huge but youngest winner ever is bigger). She has a lot of personality and she is a REALLY good actress.

I'm glad Paperman won though =)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Marter said:
Oy, really?!

Next to John Carter, Brave was the worst movie I saw that year. I know there are technincally worse films, but Brave was simply the most painfully mediocre waste of time (next to John Carter).

Seriously, there must've been better animated movies this year. Or is Pixar just the default winner now no matter they make?
Paranorman was really good, as was The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists. Stop motion is perpetually snubbed. While I loved (and I mean loved) Up, I feel that Coraline should have won the 2009 best animated.

Paranorman was a gorgeous movie, and The Pirates! was downright hilarious. David Tennant as Charles Darwin. 'nuff said.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
3) CONGRATS AGAIN TO KARI WAHLGREN AND HER WORK IN PAPERMAN!!!!!!
Seriously? Don't get me wrong, I adored Paperman, but she has what, a giggle? In the entire thing. No dialogue was something I liked.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Marter said:
Oy, really?!

Paranorman was really good, as was The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists. Stop motion is perpetually snubbed. While I loved (and I mean loved) Up, I feel that Coraline should have won the 2009 best animated.

Paranorman was a gorgeous movie, and The Pirates! was downright hilarious. David Tennant as Charles Darwin. 'nuff said.
I could never quite connect to ParaNorman due to the visuals. Not because it was stop-motion, since I love that, but because of the visual design. It sounds odd, but it was too detailed for stop-motion, making me constantly think I was actually watching a crummy CGI movie. But it was infinitely better than Brave.

I still need to check out Pirates.

I think Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit won an Oscar, though I'm not sure. In a way I'm glad stop-motion still exists in the amount that it does. One would think that with the dawn of CGI it would've gone the way of traditional animation.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:

Thank goodness somebody else actually saw The Pirates! I'm hoping for a sequel, but less-than-stellar box office returns will probably prevent that, sadly. I wanted it to win Best Animated Film, to be honest; admittedly I haven't seen ParaNorman, but it was definitely better than Brave. It's good to see Aardman doing claymation again.

And you forgot Brian Blessed as the Pirate King.

Existentialistme

Jan 6, 2011
1) Brave winning animated feature was entirely on hype. It wasn't as good as ParaNorman and certainly not as good as Wreck-It Ralph.

2) There wasn't a solid lead actress to be found this year, so no problem with Lawrence winning.

3) CONGRATS AGAIN TO KARI WAHLGREN AND HER WORK IN PAPERMAN!!!!!!

4) Argo won, but none of the movies up for the main award will be remembered in ten years.
Wow. You obviously don't know as much as you think you do. Emmanuelle Riva was incredible in Amour, as was Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty -- both of which would've been better than Lawrence winning. She's a good actress, but she wasn't better than either of them. And as for the films remembered in ten years -- both Amour and The Master (even though it wasn't nominated) certainly will be, and possibly Zero Dark Thirty as well.

Marter said:
I agree on Waltz winning -- I like him but Philip Seymour Hoffman kind of blew all the other nominees away.

I'm more upset about Moonrise Kingdom not being nominated for anything.

To me, Life of Pi getting best cinematography was the biggest upset of the night. It's practically all green screen! Skyfall should've had that.

I agree with Bigelow being snubbed -- same with P. T. Anderson. Amour was about the only one that stood out to me as far as direction goes, but I'm also kind of a sucker for minimalism.

I would've gone with Amour, Zero Dark, or Beasts over Argo for best picture. And The Master not even being nominated is exactly why I hate The Oscars.

I too thought ParaNorman was better than Brave.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
People actually watch this stuff? Why?

OT: Didn't watch it , i figured it would suck. Which according to the OP it does . So dodged a bullet there .

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Was it just me or did Joaquin Phoenix look really grumpy and pissed off when they cut to him during the Best Actor bit. I mean he looked UPSET, and that was before they announced that he wasn't the winner. The rest of my thoughts:

- Michelle Obama, first lady of the USA, awarding best picture to a Pro CIA/America Thriller Flick is....Uncomfortable. Yeah Uncomfortable is the right word.

Marter said:
I still can't believe Cloud Atlas didn't get a nomination in ANYTHING.
- Pretty much that. I have yet to see Cloud Atlas (I really want to), but from what I've heard it sounds like an amazing flick. Was Surprised to never see It's name come up.

- Seth Macfarlane was pretty funny.

- What a shock. Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress. I never saw that coming /obvious sarcasm

- The Sound of Music Joke was awesome and Tarantino had a pretty rad acceptance speech.

- I really need to catch up on my Movie watching.