so what is your current GOTY 2015.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:
I feel a bit biased, because I'm still thoroughly invested in The Witcher 3, but that game is just dishing it out one hell of a gourmet meal. Added that I really didn't expect to like it at all since I hated The Witcher 2. It's nice to know that things can still pleasantly surprises you.
How much does Witcher 3 change things from Witcher 2 then because I went into Witcher 2 trying really hard to like it for 6 hours (thanks Steam timer) and left with several reasons as to why I hated it. Does it step up its writing from needlessly Grimdark to actual mature writing or do they still think swearing a fuckload = mature storywriting. I suppose the combat should be good at this point at the least.
It steps up its game considerably. The writing is better, the voice acting is better, and the combat is bordering on fun. It sounds totally nuts, but even Geralt is likeable. And in the 25 hours or so that I played it there was less profanity and nudity than in one episode of Game of Thrones. Instead of trying to come across as this uber gritty titty medieval setting, it's just going for a regular medieval setting.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
The only game I've purchased in 2015 was Shovel Knight during it's sale.

That said, I've seen a good number of games played on twitch and the like and the most interesting one to me has been Life is Strange by a landslide. This game rivals The Walking Dead as king of this type of game (I'm hesitant to even call these point and clicks anymore...story rich?).

My opinion is meaningless though since Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are inherently boring experiences to watch. Games like that need to be played to enjoy.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Cities: Skylines!

Great city builder, apparently with a developer that actually fucking cares. Go figure.

(also partly by default, because I just haven't played that many 2015 games, again a not very interesting year for me)

TranshumanistG

Sep 24, 2014
I've got a split between Xenonauts, Mount & Blade and Dota 2, since the three of them more or less equally share the privilege of taking up most of my gaming time this year.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Bloodborne so far, but I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet because I'm debating whether to get it on the PS4 or using it as an excuse to invest in a decent PC. That being said, almost everything I've seen of The Witcher 3 from my housemate playing it has nothing short of wowed me. There's an astonishing amount of detail in almost everything considering the size of the game world and Geralt is actually a pretty likeable and well rounded character. The text is fucking microscopic on the PS4 though, which lead to both of us getting right up to the TV to read what was on the screen.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Since Bloodborne isn't available on PC => Nothing.

Haven't buyed a game and when i look at the releases i'm bored beyond belief. So, no GotY sofar...
No, wait! Hotline Miami 2 is from this year, so since it's the only game i played it's that one.

Even though it was horrible compared to the first one.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
I haven't even played anything from 2014 yet. Come to think of it, I don't think I've gotten around to any 2013 games either. That xkcd about the guy who plays games on a five year lag is pretty much my life right now.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
I don't have one yet because everything good (Read: Bloodborne and upcoming Persona 5) is being held hostage on the PS4 and I really disliked Witcher 2 so unless major changes were made to Witcher 3 it won't end up being that either.

I suppose it'll just end up being Persona 4 again. Persona 4 is GOTY every year. Actually is the new Fire Emblem this year? That will be a contender if it is.
Not sure about Fire Emblem, but Persona 5 is meant to come out this year. IF it does I can definitely see that being my game of the year.

HAven't really got into the Witcher 3 yet, but I'm hoping I'm going to enjoy it more. OTher than that, there's not that much released this year I've even played yet. Hotline Miami 2 is pretty good I guess. Bloodbourne isn't for me, Monster Hunter 4 I've played for 20 something hours, but I wouldn't call that a GOTY contender for me. Too repetitive and the combat isn't even that good. GTA V PC is really good, but it's not really a new game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
The Wykydtron said:
Casual Shinji said:
I feel a bit biased, because I'm still thoroughly invested in The Witcher 3, but that game is just dishing it out one hell of a gourmet meal. Added that I really didn't expect to like it at all since I hated The Witcher 2. It's nice to know that things can still pleasantly surprises you.
How much does Witcher 3 change things from Witcher 2 then because I went into Witcher 2 trying really hard to like it for 6 hours (thanks Steam timer) and left with several reasons as to why I hated it. Does it step up its writing from needlessly Grimdark to actual mature writing or do they still think swearing a fuckload = mature storywriting. I suppose the combat should be good at this point at the least.
It steps up its game considerably. The writing is better, the voice acting is better, and the combat is bordering on fun. It sounds totally nuts, but even Geralt is likeable. And in the 25 hours or so that I played it there was less profanity and nudity than in one episode of Game of Thrones. Instead of trying to come across as this uber gritty titty medieval setting, it's just going for a regular medieval setting.
Holy sheat, that actually sounds like it fixed all of my problems with the game. I was ready to deal with the really vague quest completion requirements/locations "no you need *this* exact bomb to blow up nekker nests, no we *won't* tell you which one" because hey that could end up being fun once you adjust to the no quest markers that modern games have spoiled us with.

It's just that the amount of over the top Grimdark in that game just made me grow sick of it. I can enjoy a dark story as much as the next guy but I don't play games to get depressed and start hating every single character in the plot including the one i'm playing as. I'll get Witcher 3 on sale eventually, I have to save for a PS4 at some point. That's one way to push a sub par next gen, literally hold good games hostage. Thanks Obama.

TheHorseWarrior

May 23, 2015
Charcharo said:
Witcher 3.

Cities Sklyines is an honorable mention.
Also enjoyed The Old Blood. But it is an expansion.

Will see MGS V. But it almost certainly wont topple it. It is not the kind of game that can topple Witcher in my own mind (STALKER 2 can :))

Await MGS, maybe Mad Max and Cossacks 3
may i ask why you dont think mgs v will topple the witcher 3?

TheHorseWarrior

May 23, 2015
Charcharo said:
TheHorseWarrior said:
Charcharo said:
Witcher 3.

Cities Sklyines is an honorable mention.
Also enjoyed The Old Blood. But it is an expansion.

Will see MGS V. But it almost certainly wont topple it. It is not the kind of game that can topple Witcher in my own mind (STALKER 2 can :))

Await MGS, maybe Mad Max and Cossacks 3
may i ask why you dont think mgs v will topple the witcher 3?
Because MGS did not have 8 classics of the Fantasy genre in literature that I liked leading up to it :p
That is to me a massive pro. One that few things can equal.
It is fighting an uphill battle. One it cant win less it is STALKER. I am biased. Like every human being.

Also, whilst I am certain it MAY (not released yet) have a good storyline... chances are quite high it wont be Witcher 3 good :p

Dont worry though. I will see it on release or close to release. I am interested in MGS V. But we must see.
storylines are subjective...some people might think mgs v has a better story than the witcher 3

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
So far nothing. I've never really cared much for the Witcher games and I really haven't played much Bloodborne. So far all I'm looking forward to this year are Persona 5, Xenoblade X and Star Fox.

One of those three will probably end up my game of the year.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Still waiting for Rebel Galaxy (because that looks hella awesome. Sort of like a cross between the ship-combat of AC4 Black Flag, and the universe of Firefly).

But so far I'm actually saying that Project CARS (yes, a racing game) is my GOTY 2015.

Hitch 22

May 23, 2015
I tip my hat to Majoras Mask 3ds. It's a bit unfair that my favorite game was re-released. Very unlikely that anything is going to come out that will top it for me. I've been wrong before though.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Dying Light is the only one I played this year that I felt was decent, so I suppose that's winning by default. I have no interest in anything else, save for No Man's Sky which doesn't have a release date yet, and Bloodborne is unavailable to my PC-gaming ways.