So What On Earth Is PlayStation's Panopticon?

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I am getting some really odd, but good, vibes off of this one.

Lets see, I'm definitely getting JRPG from this thing. I'm also getting some post-apocalyptic oppressive city-state stuff set in London (Gee, I wonder what that could be.) Also, a pet/guardian system where you battle those cyber-dragons to get them on your side, which is always cool.

Honestly, I think it looks cool as all hell. I mean, as long as the characters aren't overly whiney I'll see it as a system seller.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Welp, this looks awfully generic...

As someone else has said, Sony's Japanese studios don't give a rat's ass about Microsoft. No matter what happens, you'll have your usual fair of Japan natives clamouring for this and a couple JRPG lovers waiting with bated breath.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
Welp, this looks awfully generic...

As someone else has said, Sony's Japanese studios don't give a rat's ass about Microsoft. No matter what happens, you'll have your usual fair of Japan natives clamouring for this and a couple JRPG lovers waiting with bated breath.
*holds up hand* Guilty as charged!

Colour me interested, but then i'm a sucker for JRPG stuff, ofc half of it ends up traded in for credit as it eventually disappoints.....Final Fantasy XIII-2 being a case in point

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Is it me or is London becoming somewhat of a trend among Japanese game/anime developers... or am I just stumbling across an awful lot of content involving the city nowadays.

...Nothing much to say, I was just curious, the game looks... like a game, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem like my thing but then I've been proven wrong before.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Charli said:
Is it me or is London becoming somewhat of a trend among Japanese game/anime developers... or am I just stumbling across an awful lot of content involving the city nowadays.

...Nothing much to say, I was just curious, the game looks... like a game, as far as I can tell, doesn't seem like my thing but then I've been proven wrong before.
Off the top of my head, the K-On! movie was set in London and... that's all I got. What are some other recent stuff that has London as its setting? I'm curious because I'd like to see more stuff set outside of Japan.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Anyway, anyone else think the trailer music sounds very Metal Gear Solid-esque?
To be honest, it also resembled something that could've been written by a Japanese nephew of Hans Zimmer.

james0192 said:
A panopticon could also be reference to the one of the ideas of the french philosopher Michel Foucault who used the prison idea as metaphor for a disciplinary, authoritarian society that watches everything.

Oh how I love my history degree... /sarcasm
Considering how Foucault is slightly better known than Bentham, who merely figured it a neat idea for a prison... probably.
Don't expect it to involve anything more than half-digested snippets of Foucault though. They just need him to look Deep And Meaningful.

Sanshou

Jul 1, 2012
james0192 said:
A panopticon could also be reference to the one of the ideas of the french philosopher Michel Foucault who used the prison idea as metaphor for a disciplinary, authoritarian society that watches everything.

I saw Panopticon and I was thinking "ooh dystopian stealth mystery game" aaaaaaaaaaaaand then it was a JRGP. Balls.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Did.. Did they just.. Is that a caesarean section? I'm pretty sure it is.. This looks so strange, but I sure am interested. I have to keep myself updated on this..

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Why don't they have facial expressions? Have they surgically removed their emotions?

Seriously though, it looks ok... I guess. Never really enjoyed JRPGs that much, so my opinion is pretty much going to be 'meh' whatever happens.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
nodlimax said:
So, from what I'm getting so far is that the thing over their head is a timer that starts at 1.000.000 (birth) and counts down the older they get. If it gets to 0 you probably die...

I'm not sure what to make of the other things in this video.

Overall looks of course like a jrpg.
you obviously need to kill cyber-dragons to get more time.

this reminds me of that futuristic monster-hunters-esque thing that came out for the psp and the numbers remind me of death note so...probably gonna be a jrpg that squanders any kind of interesting idea in favor of having red/black spiky arm tentacle guy having all the feels.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Sanshou said:
james0192 said:

I saw Panopticon and I was thinking "ooh dystopian stealth mystery game" aaaaaaaaaaaaand then it was a JRGP. Balls.
I doubt that I am guess the numbers are somehow giving a reason to arrest people. This give put into people heads the idea that whatever they do it can be seen. Which pretty much lines up with the panopticons base idea that peoples fear of being watched will make the watch themselves better than a system could ever watch them. If they got that right plus I see several other small things that are articulating in my head that suggest they know what they are talking about.

Other wise I hope this plays like dragons dogma because than I am sold, probably just normal jrpg combat though.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Huh... It looks as if someone found the middle ground between Shin Megami Tensei and the "new age" Final Fantasy.

And then made an anime out of it.

I am mildly intrigued.
Mildly.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
1337mokro said:
Androgynous Characters? Multi-coloured hair? Teenage leads? Mechas and Mafic? Forced symbolism? Crappy looking robes and weird Sci-Fi stuff?

It's a JRPG.
Welp, no more to se here. Lets clock out and hit the pub.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I guess I'm the only one here who thinks this looks really cool? -_-

I like the idea, the mecha designs are interesting, the timer thing has me very intrigued, and it overall looks, well, interesting. I'm looking forward to more news on this~

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
For some reason I thought this going to be a device like the Eye Toy and was going to comment on the amazing name choice that didn't have unfortunate implications at all.

That aside, this looks kind of interesting. All the negative comments seem to be from people who dislike the anime style or JRPGs in general so won't curb my hopefully not misplaced enthusiasm.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It felt like it was seveal anime/ manga/ games mash up into one! The trailer reminded me of Persona, TWEWY/ Death Note (the whole countdown numbers on the people head), Black Rock Shooter and typical JRPG monster and big guns!

Also those authority figures look like dorks wearing those cyclop head gear!

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
WanderingFool said:
1337mokro said:
Androgynous Characters? Multi-coloured hair? Teenage leads? Mechas and Mafic? Forced symbolism? Crappy looking robes and weird Sci-Fi stuff?

It's a JRPG.
Welp, no more to see here. Lets clock out and hit the pub.
I will take you up on that offer, post back once you reach illegal blood alcohol levels.

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
I am intrigued, even though I shouldn't be, or normally wouldn't be, at least. The music reminds me of a mixture of the music from Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy, and (believe it or not) the Terminator movies. My mind is probably just coming up with ideas and being overactive, but the whole theme of the game (first impression, obviously) strikes me as an In Time/Inception combination, and of course some reference or another to an Orwellian-esque government. Plus, there are mecha-dragons in the game, because why not? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not writing this off -- I'm fairly interested in learning more about this game.

You have my attention, Sony.