So what's the story behind YOUR avatar pic?

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Ha. Ha ha. Ha hahahaha... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! HWEEEEHEEEEHEEEHEHEHEHEHEE!!!! HOoooooHOOOHOOO!!!

Sketch artists are funny.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
The story behind my avatar?

Right. So.

There's this guy named Gordon Freeman, and he's a scientist working as an assistant at the Black Mesa Anomalous Materials Division. He goes in to work one day, saying absolutely nothing to any of his co-workers or even his buddy Barney who works in security, and proceeds to unleash all kinds of alien multi-dimensional hell on Earth. Soon there are hostile creatures all over the facility, whose staff Dr. Freeman continues to refuse to communicate with leading to many untimely deaths. Eventually the military is called in to clean up the mess that Dr. Freeman has made, but due to the highly classified nature of the project and the hostility of the lab personnel (whose illegal research is a capital offense and inevitably dooms humankind to slavery under the Combine) they are unable to contain the situation and suffer heavy casualties.

Dr. Freeman's rampage is finally brought to an end when the enigmatic man pulling the strings behind the research going on at Black Mesa gives him an ultimatum: stop being such a psycho and come put your destructive powers to use for me, or die.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
When I played League of Legends I really like Olaf, and then March Mayhem was a thing again so Caramel Frappe made me an MM themed alternate to my old avatar.

I like it.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
Funny enough, despite being a big Bionicle fan when it was still around, I never used that many images for an avatar, and for ones where I can had decided to use were ones that had nothing to do with the franchise.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Years ago I had a crummy job hosting a restaurant. I doodled in the reservation book a bunch and this chimera was my all-time favorite doodle. I liberated it from the book once it was filled out and have used it ever since as my avatar here and in various other places.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I used to have a picture of my dog, but I misplaced the avatar I made and was too lazy to make a new one, so I just used Zero from the Mega Man X series instead... because Zero is awesome. Not sure who created the avatar, I just happened to find it in a google search a long time ago.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I really miss TopazFusion. So much so that I've pretty much abandoned the horror avatars for a while.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Well I avoided choosing an avatar for about 2 years, but people kept telling me to get one. I was playing Metroid Prime at the time, so I just went with that.

TopazFusion said:
lacktheknack said:
I really miss TopazFusion. So much so that I've pretty much abandoned the horror avatars for a while.
It's fine. You can keep it if you want.
]

So have you just been playing the long con this whole time? Waiting for somebody to summon you?

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Why, its Train Heartnet from my most favorite anime ever, Black Cat!

Don't meet many Black Cat fans, its a tad obscure.

On a side note, I've never seen most of the people posting on this thread.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
My avatar is something I made entirely by coincidence/chance in photoshop in Senior High School =P
I made a dot or a line, then went mad with the Liquefy tool and when I was done I thought it looked like some sort of shadow spirit Raven. So I detailed it a little and there you go.

If I were to get a new one I'd use either the Kommando Nob from DoW II (because I LOVE that game) or anything Bloodborne related (Cleric Beast or Father Gascoigne) because good actual lord that game is so awesome :3

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
The story is that I love Fallout and have been thus-far unable to figure out how to get a photo of my dog as an avatar.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
DoPo said:
CrystalShadow said:
Presently I pushed the button again...
(sigh. Badge hunting sucks sometimes)
So you know what everyone looks like to me right now. XD
If you don't... Well...
Have I got a button for you! *ahem*
What, this button?

I thought it was to call room service. I just never really needed anything. Hmm, I am actually a bit thirsty now. I'll give it a go.
Yes... That would be the one... >_>

Something Amyss said:
CrystalShadow said:
Presently I pushed the button again...
So...how long have you been stuck like that?
Oh, just... The usual amount of time... XD
Well, actually, probably a lot longer than that, honestly. I mean, who came up with a badge for pressing it lots of times anyway?
And how many times is that? 10? 100? 1000? I have no idea.
So I could be looking at anything from... About another 24 hours, to... The next 3 years or so. XD

And yes, it is a catgirl.
Really hard to notice those are ears at Escapist Avatar Size.
Well, I know what my avatar is, though I can't actually see it at the moment. XD
I concede that at that scale it's hard to make out much of anything really. >_<

Of course, there's also the huge tail she has, wrapped around herself.

Funny thing about ears. They may not be obvious at that scale, but they're already half the size of her head. >_<
I mean, it's not like I could make them bigger or anything. XD

Let me see if I have an online copy of the original image anywhere...
Oh. What do you know. I do.

I have much cleaner versions of this image (also more detailed, better colouring and shading), but this one has a certain charm to it that those versions seem to lose a little. (At this point it's basically a pencil sketch with digital colouring added.)

Odd, minor detail (one that perhaps emphasises that in some ways there is quite a lot of me in this character.) is that the stuffed tiger in the background is a real thing (depicts something that actually exists)
Something I've had since I was about 2...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
My avatar is Rylai the Crystal Maiden. She's cool. Heh. She's a dota 2 character, and she's a fantastic support. Even completely without farm, she can still have a devastating impact on the match. Hell, she's helpful just by being alive.

The pic in question is from her short comic: http://www.dota2.com/newbloom/part2

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
These threads crop up from time to time.

My avatar is quite simple. and its story is more mundane that one expects. When i registered to this forum after 1.5 years of lurking i wanted to fill in the stuff in my profile and one of them was an avatar. since i wanted a kinda neutral avatar for this forum[1] and i had recently downloaded "300 avatars pack". So i just went into that and found something that looks neat and neutral and put it on. As years came on i was too lazy to change it and it kind of became an identity now. In even refered to "That Alpaca man" sometimes.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Mine is based off of Krunkidile's TF2 videos on youtube and animated into a gif by the infinite wisdom of @Caramel Frappe: who even added the wonderful Spy to it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it CF may not have animated it but someone on these forums did for the 2013 March Madness.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
My avatar is Korra from the Legend of Korra. It is a show that I pretty much fell in love with as soon as i started to watch it, and Korra has served as my avatar for a lot of things ever since.

As for the avatar itself, it is a gif that Aerostream made for me last year during a Halloween request thread (thanks again, by the way).

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
The first forums I was really active on was WotC MtG Rules Q&A. And, back then, you had to choose from their options, so I choose [mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf]. Then, when I won 3rd place in the Card Strategies and Combo's UnCon contest, I was able to put up a custom avatar. And, in my infinite level of creativity, I just took my old avatar and inverted the colors in Paint. And, I've been using it ever since, even though I stopped hanging out there a while back.

Plus, I think it's kind of cool that the designer got his girlfriend's name on the card in an anagram (Lily Wu).