So... what's your FAVORITE movie? No wishy-washy answers!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Fight Club
Drive
The Interview
The Amazing Spider-Man
Predator 1 and 2
Find Me Guilty
Session 9
Fair Game
No Country For Old Men
Run Lola Run
Kingdom of Heaven
For a Few Dollars More
Falling Down
Red Eye
Lord of War

It's in there somewhere.....

Apr 24, 2008
My favourite seems to change alot.

Right now it's "Once upon a time in America". I love the ambiguity and I love that it doesn't feel the need to give you a righteous protagonist.

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
My favorite movie depends on the genre. The big ones are

Comedy: Legitimate tie between Better Off Dead and Black Dynamite
Drama: Cool Hand Luke
Action: Avengers
Thriller: Se7en

But if I was forced to pick only one movie to call "my favorite" I'd go with Cool Hand Luke. Mostly because it's just an excellently made movie

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
PreviouslyPwned said:
An obvious answer, but Pulp Fiction.

Also, Spaceballs.
I'll have to agree with Scott Pilgrim. I watched it once by myself and then spent like a month trying to get all my friends to watch it. Even when the "jokes" lose a bit of their appeal, I'll find myself still enjoying the over-the-top fighting scenes and gaming references. I'm in the process of buying all the graphic novels since I don't go to high school anymore where they had the entire collection in the library.

Otherwise, I REALLY enjoy The Green Mile.

(I'm really sorry about this post -.- the ad at the bottom of my screen went away JUST as I clicked "Quote" and made me quote a different post...)

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Dirty Harry, by far. Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor, and this is, in my opinion, his absolute best work. The music is perfect, the villain is legitimately creepy, and it's got my favorite line in any movie ever: "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

So much awesome.

Moralio

Feb 2, 2012
Just one? Tough choice but I have to settle on Back to the Future. It has comedy, action, romance and outstanding performances by Lloyd and Fox.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
To me, Aliens has always remained the perfect film to me, not one issue or flaw did I ever find in the years I have known its existence.

Moose

Feb 7, 2012
I would have to say Jurassic Park. I've always been interested in dinosaurs and I love the soundtrack for the film. I'm also a sucker for anything with a tropical/sub tropical setting which is probably why I love Far Cry and watched all of Lost. Weird I know cos it's not like I would like to live there, give me a temperate climate anyday!

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
Mine is Kung Fu Panda 2.
I haven't seen this yet, and people keep bringing it up, so I think it's gonna have to happen pretty soon, which may then change my choices...

(it) is what firmly cemented Dreamworks as on par if not just plain BETTER than Pixar at this point.
Oooh, you're playing with fire on that one, you'd better be careful. Particularly as Disney's in-house crew have also massively raised their game of late. Brave may have been an acquired taste for many, but don't bet against Pixar to not come along and leapfrog them both again with their next production.

Karoshi said:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)
Something about this movie just clicked. The flashbacks, old photos, cold winter and a tedious investigation. I just really loved it for some reason.
The Swedish version might be not bad, but the actress that they cast as Lisbeth just didn't look as I imagined her.
Hmm ... interesting. Haven't seen either, but having read the books, if they've made the investigation seem tedious, particularly when crammed down to 2 hours of film time instead of 8 hours of reading, something's gone wrong, as it was originally tense as hell. And from the box pics, both Rooney and Noomi look quite good fits for Lisbeth, just slightly different takes on the same idea. She is, after all, supposed to be a fairly normal (if skinny and aspergic) person underneath all the hairstyles and goth makeup.

JemothSkarii said:
I'm gonna have Four Catagories: Eastern Live Action, Western Live Action, Eastern Animated, Western Animated.
This is an excellent idea, because I have so many "non-ordered favourites list" films for each of which I can find many reasons why they're awesome, and I'd extend it maybe to 8 (adult and children's for each) if I had the time, but I don't.

Ergo, default choice:

Laputa, Castle in the Sky

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGJQmsqFok[/youtube]

I don't think I will ever, ever, ever get tired of watching this. I don't get to break it out very often any more, but... I just love it. It's child friendly without being childish, it has some more adult themes without going overboard, the styling, plotting and action are all great, and although the animation isn't Disney-smooth it's otherwise spot-on. Plus it has/does those three most essential things of an 80s TV show or film: orphans, a mysterious pendant, and mashes up a piece of classic literature with a whole load of tasty original garnish.

bonus:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVCdLi6FGVg[/youtube]
you're welcome

Edit: are the youtube thingies broken for everyone or just me? It looks like the board software is TRYING to embed them, but the data just isn't coming through.

"watch" codes are xcGJQmsqFok, and ZVCdLi6FGVg if you're interested.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Kinitawowi said:
Yay, it only took three posts for somebody to decide that they were more super-special than the stated terms in the thread and rattling off huge lists!

Sigh. This is why "top X" threads are always doomed to failure.
I assume you mean me, which means you completely missed the spoiler box and think that four movies and an unqualified number of animated Disney films equals "huge lists".

And I was more playing it for a joke, anyway, because my username should be able to clue people in to my answer in threads like this one.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Aliens. If I see it playing I pretty much stop what I'm doing and watch it regardless of how far in it is. Hell, I remember watching it on VHS and when it was over, it just happened to be playing on the tv channel I just happen to turn to. It was about 5 minutes in so I watched again. I don't think I've ever done that with another movie. The Matrix runs a close second to Aliens. I think I the matrix about 10 times in the theater.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Hero. A fairly simple martial arts movie with an incredibly tightly woven plot that does a phenomenal job incorporating its story telling with its visual design. One of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen and despite being a martial arts movie it takes an incredibly artistic approach to the violence that it contains.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Either This is Spinal Tap or Yojimbo. I can't really pick between them, but I've seen Spinal tap at least 10 times to Yojimbo's 5 or 6, so if I must choose one, Spinal Tap

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Scott Pilgrim vs The World .... followed immediately by Ghostbusters. Not saying Scott was the better movie. It wasn't. I'm just saying I enjoyed it more.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
The Blues Brothers........ Plan and simple, great comedy, great music, great car chases.........

I kinda feel like I just won the thread.....

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
nomzy said:
The Man from Earth
BAM. Nicely chosen, sir. That's my choice as well. I got the Blu-ray first, then the DVD because I realized the DVD had commentary. I even tracked down the empty house where they filmed it using Google Earth.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
theSteamSupported said:
Spirited Away.

<youtube=FxHKulvuRhk>
FUCKING NINJAS!!

Some months ago I might have said Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, but after watching it again on DVD I just couldn't love that movie as much anymore. It was still good, but some jokes weren't as funny as they were in the cinema, but mostly I blame Michael Cera. I wonder why it took me so long to realize he's one annoying little pain in the ass of an actor.

But yeah, my choice is Spirited Away, though I still haven't decided if it's better than Toy Story 3. When I watched it after many many years last November, I was simply shocked at how incredbile it was. No work of fiction had ever moved me emotionally so much.