So, who else is abandoning Microsoft this console gen?

Taurus Vis

Jan 12, 2013
Disclaimer: Obviously this question not aimed at PC gamers, and that is fine. I prefer the comfort and reliability of a console and you prefer the hands on fun of modding along with the graphical superiority.

With that out of the way, who else who has had an xbox since the beginning is no longer impressed by Halo, and is abandoning Microsoft's abusive anti-consumer policies to go see if the grass is greener on the other side? I know I am, for 100 dollars less, better hardware and less bullshit restrictions I'd say that PS4 may already have this console generation in the bag.

captcha: No Dice... Oh god, could this be a bad omen for Battlefront 3?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I was never with Microsoft on the console front. The XB1 has not convinced me to change my mind. In fact, it's only further galvanised my stance against them.

If I'm to get a console in the coming generation, it will be PS4.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I had a Wii as my primary at the start then switched to microsoft for the majority of the gen now I am switching over to either the WiiU or PS4 myself.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I believe that the list would be considerably shorter on The Escapist if you asked who was still going to get a Xbox One (and that list really got shorter when a of the few vocal supporters turned out to be the same guy and got the ban-hammer activated :p).

I've made my fears about the next generation and elation of seeing those fears crumble with Sony's press conference very well known. The 360 was my go-to console for this generation but there is not a snowballs chance in hell that I will even consider the Xbox One until they change the systems name to 180. (Get it?!? Cause they'd have to change their stance on just about everything for me to consider buying it! I'm so clever...)

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The 360 was the best console of its generation. But we forget that the PS2 was the finest one before it. I have no problems returning to SONY for this go round.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Have a 360, which was my go-to machine until I built my own PC. I'm jumping onto the PS4 boat for this next gen. Yes, Halo is one of my favorite gaming franchises, but frankly, I'm willing to not play it if the Xbone is going to continue to be the machine Microsoft has built.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Unless MS relents on some of there policies later down the line I probably won't be picking it up any time soon. Come to think of it I have never really been very loyal to one company in particular. Started out playing on the PC during the N64/PS1 era and maintained a strong presence through PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. My first console was a gamecube and got a PS2 late into the cycle.

This gen I technically got all the consoles at different points in time, but I would say the Xbox 360 was my most played by far and I unfortunately didn't have my PS3 during my early college years so I missed out on a whole lot of great titles.

This next gen I will probably be picking up a PS4 and continuing to play on quite solid PC for the time being.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I switched over to the 360 towards the end of this generation, partially because I couldn't afford PC gaming anymore, and partly because the Wii wasn't offering too much anymore. I've sort of had an antagonism to Sony ever since the PS1 days, partly because I was young and in the "us vs. them" mentality (being an N64 owner), and partially because the PS2 is the only console I've ever owned that broke on me.

With that said, though, I'm planning on switching over the PS4. The WiiU still seems like the best console right now, but if it follows in the Wii's footsteps, I'd imagine that will change in a year or two. I'm not even considering the Xbone anymore considering it gets about everything wrong, and what it doesn't get wrong the PS4 and/or WiiU gets better.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah Microsoft have lost me on this one. The only thing they could do to make me consider it is to lower the price, remove the bullshit online and kinect requirements and make a new Gears of War game that is actually good (Judgement was shit).

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
My opinion on the Bone however doesn't matter, because I can't afford it.
I'm going to buy a ton of old 360 games though.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
I have a PS1, PS2 and an Xbox 360. After seeing the joke that is the Xbox One, I'll be returning to Sony next gen. But first, I'm going to spend the fall and winter collecting discounted 7th gen titles.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
@MrBenSampson: That Avatar is awesome.

OT:
Yeah, I'm done. I was a bit of a Microsoft evangelist for a while. I work with Windows Phone, I love my 360, and I also use Windows based PCs. I can't imagine how many customers they owe to my word of mouth praise.
But the Xbox One, and Microsoft's complete and utter disconnection from reality, has alienated me in the worst possible way. I've so far cost them seventeen potential customers - and that number will only increase as we near closer to launch.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
faefrost said:
The 360 was the best console of its generation. But we forget that the PS2 was the finest one before it. I have no problems returning to SONY for this go round.
True, Sony made a lot of mistakes this gen but it looks like they've actually learned from them with the way the PS4 is shaping up. Even though it's not my favourite, I'd say the PS2 is all round the best console that's ever existed, so I'm hoping that particular lightning will strike twice.

As for Microsoft, the Xbox was a shaky but admiral attempt, they sort of got their act together with the 360 (ignoring the gigantic number of hardware failures/ridiculously over-priced subscription service) but now it seems they're going for two steps forward, one backwards flip into a woodchipper.

I only ever had a 360 for it's exclusives --which largely turned out to be mediocre or get eventual PS4 releases-- and now that they've essentially taken a shit with their clothes on with the Xbone I don't think I'll be giving them any more of my custom.

IpponDropkick

Jun 12, 2013
I absolutely loved my 360 this generation. It was, to my mind, the best of the systems and I spent a LOT of money on them. I've had four different consoles at one time or another. I've bought countless games. I didn't jump on the kinect but I was a passionate fan and user of the system. I feel alienated by their current choices. They seem to be all about the publisher and not about the end user. Honestly, I have a reliable internet connection and I make most of my purchases digitally so the used games thing isn't a huge issue for me.

Still, I can't support a company that makes those choices. Just because they don't screw me over doesn't mean they won't effect others.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
I started my gaming on an NES but my child hood was spent on a PS1. I chased the PS2 and the Gamecube in gen 6 because i loved my PS1 and wanted more of what could be offered but because of the NES I really wanted to stay with Nintendo. The only reason I got a 360 was because my dad got an original Xbox and I loved Halo on it. Now being a guy who loves a lot of games from Japanese companies Sony and Nintendo are my best go to consoles baring some good 360 exclusive jrpgs early in its life. SO i ended up buying all 3 but then became a pc gamer last year, now looking forward if it is on Xbox One, it will probably be on PC and PS4, and in some cases WiiU, otherwise no exclusives are worth it. Basically my love of Halo is what will tie me to Xbox but that was easy to sever since seeing Destiny it is more Halo being made by Bungie than 343's Reclaimer trilogy. So a tearful good buy to the game that along with Medal of Honor Frontline got me in to shooters, then looking forward to a WiiU and PS4.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have had a lot of fun with my 360, but there's no brand loyalty to it. I bought it for a few games, not because I thought it was better than the PS3. Tales of Vesperia forced my hand, Banjo Kazooie was a temptation I couldn't resist, but Namco Bandai has said that they will focus Tales on Sony consoles in the future and Rare are stuck making Kinect games.

There might come games for the Xbox that I want and they might be enough for me to get one, but as it stands now I wont. I would also add that the Xbox 360 had me with 3 games. It's going to take a lot more than that to make me get the new one...

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Switched to PC and none of the three have me convinced to go back.

No use for a PS4 because I can already record gaming footage and edit it myself, plus none of their games exactly get me excited. No need for an Xbox because most of their good games are going to be on PC and I already give them enough money for certifications.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I'm trying to sell my 360, get PS3 versions of the games I had on it, and make some room for a PS4. If Microsoft doesn't want me to own the products I buy from them then fine, I'm just gonna go to the company that actually treats me with respect. Also, Nintendo, I'm coming back home.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
I own a 360, PS3, and a good PC. XBone doesn't really seem like an upgrade to the 360.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'll probably go PS4.
I'll probably adopt late.
...What happened at Microsoft?
Things were going so well. And then they made Windows 7. It all kind of spirals down from there.
Was Bill the only thing keeping them sane?
I'm a little nervous about buying a PS4 since Sony on the whole is on the verge of bankruptcy.
What happens to the PS4 if Sony goes bankrupt halfway through the generation?