So, who goes to the Gym/exercises?

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure most of you here go to the gym regular.

How often do you go and for how long?
Care to share with us your daily routine of when you go to the gym and what you do there, like anything specific or certain equipment?

I go everyday for 2hours, occasionally more, apart from a Thursday and Sunday. Also, Saturday, I spend all afternoon in the gym.
I go in the evening around 6pm and go straight for the treadmill then move along to the bikes and rowing machine (If these have certain professional names, I've never known)
I also go spinning once a week, look it up, it kills me D:

Do you have any words of wisdom for those who're looking to get fit/loose weight about eating habits and exercise habits?
Actually, I'd like to know what you eat and when to help going to the gym a success.

Tynermeister

Feb 10, 2011
I just don't have the time at the moment. I've archery two nights a week, cooking for housemates another day, and I haven't had a weekend off in about 2 months.

I'll try and join again once I get my new passport back tho. Things are just a bit mental at the moment with me.

When I do go, It's swimming for about 45 mins one day a week, then treadmill-weights-core-stretching any other days. I cycle to work so I reckon I'm not losing fitness too fast.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Don't go to the gym... don't see the point, considering I have weights at home, a 'safe' neighbourhood I can run in and everything I need to practise boxing.

Oh, a weapons for random tsuburi-ing when I feel like it.

Typically total 12-15 hrs a week if I can.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I really hate gyms- the stench of all that narcissism makes me gag.

For my own exercise I live out in the middle of nowhere and instead of driving or getting the bus I walk, plus I do push ups and sit ups every morning.

Also long ago learnt that the best way to control your eating is to only do so when your hungry.

SwiftBlade18

May 18, 2009
I started going to the gym in August...my goal - gain weight...I have one of those crazy metabolisms that wont let me do it by eating ^.^

I have been pretty lazy of late (starting new job and all) but I used to go approx 5 times a week...4 of which were weight days and the 5th being squash. Used to tackle weight days by muscle groups - so biceps & triceps, chest & abs, back & shoulders.....Obviously this might not suit everyone but it did for me since I was going regularly for about an hour to hour+half sessions.

If getting fit is what you want to do I have added a cardio day (in replacement to weights...when i go lol) this consists of 2000m rowing on full resistance going all out for a personal best and breaking it if you can, then on to 3 games of squash (obviously you need a partner for this) then back into gym for uphill jogging on treadmill that will kill you

The treadmill part is probably the most important and best at getting you physically fit....stick the treadmill incline up to the maximum, walk whilst it gets to the point (1 minute will be enough) have it on about 1.5mph for walking speed....soon as it hits that 1 minute mark up your speed to about 6mph (or more if you find this too easy...trust me it gets harder) jog for a minute on this incline....when it hits the 2minute mark put yourself back down to 1.5mph for your walking 'rest' and then repeat....so basically: 1 min walking, 1 min jogging, 1 min walking etc

do this to a minimum of 5 minutes jogging...make sure to do a minute or 2 walking after your final jog to help warm down and then stretch!

you will see the results fast - at least i did...definitley dont get tired as fast anymore...though this still kills me as i do it as my end of cardio workout - to be fair im dead from the rowing right at the start! (personal best in rowing 8mins 6secs....improving everytime i do it too)

I almost forgot to mention I have gained a little over 8lbs since joining - which im happy about and hope to keep adding to

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I do when I can, usually can fit in about 2-3 times a week comfortably and over the holidays I got about 6 times a week

If you want to lose weight, set yourself a goal and break it all down into small tasks that you can manage so it doesn't seem such a large task. Don't think massively about it, keep yourself occupied and I found it easiest to start when my life was very busy rather than when not much was on.
I run for about 15 minutes then do shadow boxing for 10 then I hit the weights. I used to do tai kwan doe but I stopped it due to the uni club being utter shit.

I eat red meat, soup, yogurts, salad, low fat milk, protein shakes, eggs, apples, orange juice and canned pineapple. That is it. I haven't eaten anything differently since last October. Mine is for muscle gain, if you want fat loss then fruits, veg and cut the sweets. Simple really

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
That sounds like a lot of gyming. I move around too much with my placements so I rarely join gyms, not worth paying the joining fee if I'm only there for a few months. Also I rarely find time or motivation to go after the long days I have.

My solution is I walk everywhere, to the hospital or into town. I also have some weights at home, I'm currently doing 13kilos for my bicep curls, I'm pretty proud of that, gradually increasing the weight as I go. I also do sit-up and push-ups.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
I can't say I'm incredibly strict and consistent with healthy things, but here's what I basically do.

Fitness:

I don't see any need to pay for a gym membership or any athletic products. I don't even wear shoes. Also, I'm a little self-conscious around people. Every day or two, I walk my slow little dog about 1km, take him home, walk out the door again to do some kind of random walk-run-walk-sprint-walk-stand-run-whatever-I-feel-like routine, and stretch before bed almost every night. Sometimes I do other exercises I learned in gymnastics, loosely following the "4chan workout":

I think I would benefit from pushing myself a bit more. I always feel noticeably better after, both more relaxed when I go to bed, and just better in general the next day. A side effect is that I become more restless when I'm walking with slow people. I feel like running in circles around them.

Nutrition:

When I'm trying to be healthy, I apply my basic knowledge of what's in what food, and what nutrients compliment each other. For example, I've heard vitamin C aids iron absorption, and calcium inhibits iron absorption.

Lately I've been looking at my dinner plate and thinking things like, "mushrooms have B vitamins, beans have protein and fibre, raw zucchini has... well I'm not sure what, but it's a vegetable, this egg has b vitamins, iron, and fat (but not too much, it supposedly aids protein absorption), raw carrots have carbohydrates, fibre, and other vitamins, a bit fo fruit for variety, capsicum has antioxidants or something, and I already had calcium this morning from milk and omega 3/6/9 from linseed oil (I hate it, but I force myself to have it anyway)" I realise food like that could sound boring and bland, but I think people must be demented if their gag reflex is set off by putting vegetables in their mouth or if they're so fussy it's like they think they'd be depressed if they don't eat sugary/salty/rich tasty food all the time. It's very easy and healthy to grab things from the fridge in their natural state and arrange them on a plate nicely. I do like cooking and baking nice things, though, and I wouldn't force visitors to eat raw vegetables, haha. Lately I've been making dhal with rice. I think it tastes better with less coconut cream than Peter Singer put in.

I've also been drinking a lot of water, and I almost always have tea in the morning. I tend to alternate between soy milk, regular milk, and raw milk. I've heard good and bad things about all of them, so I try not to have too much of any of them in particular. At night I have green tea, I've gotten used to the taste now.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I go to the gym place regularly all right...
I lift the weights and it's very heavy, and, uhmmm.... I exercise with the machines and the treadmills for 3 hours every other day.
.>

Nah, I get the training I need from walking to and from school every day and doing some push-ups and sit-ups in the evening every once in a while.
I should probably work a little on my pecs though :/
Oh, and I do occasionally go swimming.

Edit: As for eating habits... Can't say I pay too much attention to what I eat. My parents still provide me, so it kinda goes by without me noticing ^_^'
Today I'm making "sodd" though, which is easy and good. I don't know about healthy, but whatever.
A good attitude when it comes to eating, I figure, is not eating yourself completely full. Only fill your stomach about 80% at dinner. Enough to satisfy your hunger, but you'd still have room for a piece of cake if you wanted to (of course, don't eat a piece of cake after dinner, that's bad).
Also, just try not to have candy or junk food easily available. If I have a few bars of chocolate lying in the pantry or whatever, they'll be gone by the end of the week. Don't tempt yourself to eating in between meals like that.

And vegetables. They're good.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I usually go when I have the time.
I only do cardio because my tredmill at home broke and my school's gym has an elliptical machine

also I walk quite a bit.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I go to the gym, I used to go five times a week without fail, then work took up too much time and so now it's usually around 3 or maybe 4 times, depending on how I feel.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
I go to physiotherapy. I guess that counts :)
I also do 2-3 hour long walks outside 2-4 times a week

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I jog around my block on 3 days a week. I haven't been able to do it though because it's been flooding. :'(
I'm jogging around the block twice tomorrow to make up for missing my other days.

My boyfriend and I grapple sometimes. I got him in a pretty mean toe hold the other day.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
Tue. and Thur. I have wrestling sessions with my team, then I work out for 45min.-1hr. Mon., Wed. and Fri. I work out for about 2 hrs or so.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Yea i work in a liesure centre so i get in for free! I'll be going 3 years in May and have gained something like 2 and a half stone.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
I do not go. Ever. I hate the gym. I'm not overweight but I should go. Still..I hate teh gym and I won't go unless I have to.