So you are transported back to the dark ages...

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
and you have all the knowledge you currently have. How many things would you be able to reinvent?

Electricity? Cars? Computers? A Shamwow? A pastromi on rye?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
This is a very grim situation for women. At best, anything I came up with would prolly be stolen by a man. :/

I wouldn't mind inventing a rail system and telegraphs, though. Oh, and convince people that soap and sewer systems are a really great idea.

Actually, can I go to Japan in this period? Daily bathing has been a longtime thing over there.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Nothing, because I'd be immediately executed for being a witch if I tried any of that.

EDIT: Not to mention they'd think I was speaking in tongues. Modern day English is completely different to what they spoke in the Dark Ages.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You make it sound as thought we are capable of memorising complex inventive ideas and convicing others to listen to the said ideas.

Assuming if I was sent back to Dark age British, the people in that time would want to burn me since I look different to them (being Chinese and all).
Even if I was sent to dark age China then I will still be treated differently since I speak the language properly at all.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
First off, I'd have the massive problem that they basically speak a different language. Have any of you read Chaucer? I might just about be able to understand the gist of what the say but they aren't going to have a hope of understanding 21st century English. It's too different.

Anyway, assuming that's not an issue, I have the problem that this is a feudal society, and as such I am a serf(and a shit one, since my skill set is skewed away from manual labour), since I'm clearly not a knight or part of the gentry. Therefore, I would have to fake piety and join a monastery, which gives me an excuse for being literate, and means I can't get swept up in any wars.

From then I would struggle to make any inventions, as I don't know how preceding inventions worked. Ie. I have no idea about the process of shaping glass or lenses, so I couldn't invent microscopes/telescopes except in a very crude format.

However, I would be well placed to revolutionise mathematics, beating Newton and Leibniz to calculus, inventing imaginary numbers , inventing Fourier series etc.

I could invent chemical batteries, unfortunately I have no idea how even a lightbulb works, so I couldn't actually do anything with this.

Best of all, i could invent the Sandwich, and be forever praised.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Erana said:
This is a very grim situation for women. At best, anything I came up with would prolly be stolen by a man. :/
That would depend on where you went to really. Surprisingly enough, men and women were fairly equal in Anglo-Saxon England. Obviously things weren't great, but they were better than they were in the medieval period.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
You make it sound as thought we are capable of memorising complex inventive ideas and convicing others to listen to the said ideas.
What? You mean you don't know in precise detail everything you're using on mostly a daily basis? Sheesh, people these days. And what did you intend to do when the apocalypse came and society and its achievements were reset back to 0? Did you plan to die? You'd better, because I won't be letting you borrow my computer made of tin cans and nuclear waste.

OT: Me personally? I'll probably be able to make a PnP RPG. Sure, the illiteracy might be a bit of a problem, and there wouldn't be any convenient method of making big copies of it without a printing press, but I can manage.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
I'm taking this as more of a question about how much you truly know about our daily technology. Assuming that whatever sent me back in time allows me to blend in to my surroundings. The first step big hurdle would be forming a network of people who can get you what you need. Having to develop everything literally from scratch is a huge endeavor. If I can get the help I need, I should be able to create a water wheel generator, or windmill and create electricity. Beyond simple lighting and heating, I doubt I could do much but even that is pretty good. Given enough time, I could probably make an electric car.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
DoPo said:
Scarim Coral said:
What? You mean you don't know in precise detail everything you're using on mostly a daily basis? Sheesh, people these days. And what did you intend to do when the apocalypse came and society and its achievements were reset back to 0? Did you plan to die? You'd better, because I won't be letting you borrow my computer made of tin cans and nuclear waste.

OT: Me personally? I'll probably be able to make a PnP RPG. Sure, the illiteracy might be a bit of a problem, and there wouldn't be any convenient method of making big copies of it without a printing press, but I can manage.
Heh, apocalypse scenario might be easier. More about basic survival and scavanging, not a huge chance of being declared a witch.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
Hazy992 said:
Nothing, because I'd be immediately executed for being a witch if I tried any of that.

EDIT: Not to mention they'd think I was speaking in tongues. Modern day English is completely different to what they spoke in the Dark Ages.
Basically this, plus there aren't many things I know how to invent with the tools they used at the time, so I would be out of luck.

Unless I manage to convince everyone I'm Jesus, and I'm wearing the clothing that they wear in heaven. Would totally work.

EDIT: I guess I could invent the very first gun, since I do have the knowledge how to make one of those. Oh, and I could name it "David" so everyone would use David's in war. And that name would never be given to any kid ever again.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Steam power, slowly refined, would be relatively easy to reinvent, which would eventually facilitate the implementation of an electrical grid.

But someone else would have to work out the circuitry and so on, because I don't remember enough about it.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
David Bjur said:
Hazy992 said:

Basically this, plus there aren't many things I know how to invent with the tools they used at the time, so I would be out of luck.

Unless I manage to convince everyone I'm Jesus, and I'm wearing the clothing that they wear in heaven. Would totally work.
If you can get the language down and play it right you could probably pull that off. They weren't the most inquisitive back then :p

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
After a bit more thought, I'd probably be better suited to using my skills in the kitchen to get by. It would take a bit to learn the local ingredients, but I bet I could create all sorts of food they have never seen before. As well, I would look to open trade routes and "explore" the world. Seeing as I already know where generally everyone is.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Dark Age would suck.I mean it was called the dark age for a reason.Anyway I think this article sums up how bad an idea it is

http://www.cracked.com/article_18564_6-time-travel-realities-doc-brown-didnt-warn-us-about.html

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Hazy992 said:

Or they'd think you were just some foreigner. Still, if you know a romance language (French/Spanish/Italian) or a little bit of Latin you could probably get by with some of that and learn more as you go along, because those languages haven't changed as much.

Can I be pedantic and ask which Dark Age?

Assuming you mean the Medieval Period, I'd probably go to Italy if possible. Probably do what I can to become a doctor. Knowing about sterility and inventing antibiotics would put you miles ahead of everyone.

I'd kick myself for not knowing more about how early spectroscopy worked though.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Hazy992 said:

Or they'd think you were just some foreigner. Still, if you know a romance language (French/Spanish/Italian) or a little bit of Latin you could probably get by with some of that and learn more as you go along, because those languages haven't changed as much.

Can I be pedantic and ask which Dark Age?

Assuming you mean the Medieval Period, I'd probably go to Italy if possible. Probably do what I can to become a doctor. Knowing about sterility and inventing antibiotics would put you miles ahead of everyone.

I'd kick myself for not knowing more about how early spectroscopy worked though.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
I don't think the language was that different, I mean if you read Chaucer sure it's spelled differently but most words seem to be pronounced the same way.

I don't think I'd ba able to do that much technologically since most technology I understand requires a supporting infrastructure that simply wasn't there. I would however be able to give them theoretical stuff like Calculus, relativity, Cartesian geometry, democracy, utilitarianism, evolution and atomic theory all a few centuries early.Oh and I'd write a book warning that Karl Marx's economics are a load of tosh, that should save a few million lives.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
Hazy992 said:
David Bjur said:
Hazy992 said:

If you can get the language down and play it right you could probably pull that off. They weren't the most inquisitive back then :p
"I, Jesus, have returned. I've returned to teach you, the ways of 'The Dance'."
"Do this, and there's no doubt that you will come to heaven."
I will have my own army of dancing zombie-peasants :D

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
David Bjur said:
Hazy992 said:
David Bjur said:
Hazy992 said:

"I, Jesus, have returned. I've returned to teach you, the ways of 'The Dance'."
"Do this, and there's no doubt that you will come to heaven."
I will have my own army of dancing zombie-peasants :D
Man the Dark Age peasants will eat that shit up! Gullible fools! :D